News RpNation Rule Clarification PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpNation

I didn't want to go swimming anyway, baka!
Administrator
Hello, users of RpNation!

Recently, we, the staff, have been getting a lot of questions on what is and what is not allowed on RpNation. After a lengthy discussion with the administration team, we decided to pull together a brief PSA to clarify the answer to the entire site just to make sure no one is confused by the site rules. This PSA will be broken down into two parts: what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

What is allowed (and when it's allowed)

First off, we'll start off with a brief statement: we are not a PG-13 site. What does this mean? It means we allow swearing, violence, and R-rated material in character (with some exceptions, please see the "what isn't allowed" section). We do not allow users to use derogatory terms or make rude, unwarranted statements to other users on the site out of character; however, we welcome you to develop characters who are as colourful as you like. GMs are still allowed to instill their own rules on what is and isn't allowed in their roleplays, but must abide ALL site rules. Of course, please use your discretion. Roleplaying a character using illegal drugs is one thing and is acceptable, while telling a user how to use illegal drugs in a chat is not acceptable. If at any times you are unsure if something is allowed, please do not hesitate to reach out to any member of staff.

What isn't allowed

While we are not PG-13, we do not allow erotic content on RpNation: in roleplaying or otherwise. The definition of erotic content is as follows: any images, posts, or other content that displays genitalia or explicit sexual actions. Characters are welcome to cuddle, kiss, and flirt, but once the scene moves to anything dealing with genitalia or sexual encounters, we ask you fade to black. Roleplaying sex scenes in Conversations (PMs) is not acceptable.

Fade to black

As many of you know, we follow the fade to black rule. This means that whenever two (or more, I suppose) characters are interacting and heading toward sexual encounters, the users must fade to black to avoid roleplaying out aforementioned encounter. But how far is too far? Kissing, cuddling, etc. is all permitted under site rules; however, any mention of genitalia or sexual acts is considered beyond the fade to black rule.

As goes without saying, please reach out to an administrator or mod if you have any questions on what is acceptable or not. In the end, if you have any doubts as to whether or not it's acceptable, I suggest you err on the side of not posting it until you're sure whether or not it's appropriate.

I hope this helps some of you. Again, if you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to @Captain Hesperus, @Pine, or @The Dark Wizard.

Cheers!

RpN Administration Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Good to see you're clarifying, but this is an issue I had earlier last year: what defines a sexual act? (Some may consider it genuine "insert A in B" action, I was told it extended into heavy makeouts and sexual touches)

What's wrong with roleplaying sexual scenes in a private message? If the two people in the PM are okay with it and of age (18+) what's wrong with getting a little sexual with in PRIVATE message.

Sex is a natural everyday thing, and it's okay if you are the right age. Sex is an easy way to express love and passion. Putting that in to text can be a different way to experience it, and maybe some people in real life are unable to experience the real thing.

I personally am not speaking for myself because I do get a bit uncomfortable when it gets too sexual and I make it fade to black, but what if the two people texting the content are okay with it? If it's in private message it should not matter, and if they get banned because of it, that means you are reading up on the PM which is not okay.

Personally, in my year and 5 months on being on this site I have noticed that you are becoming more and more strict with your rules. I'm not trying not insult anyone, but it doesn't make sense to have a private message option if it is not exactly going to be private. You run a website made for roleplay, this is just like every other site though, Instagram can't completely control its users, Facebook can't completely control its users, you can't completely control your users or you will lose those users

I am just expressing my opinion toward the PM section. Not the rest of the site, because I do get uncomfortable in group roleplays and people get sexual.

Lexielai said:
Hi! Good to see you're clarifying, but this is an issue I had earlier last year: what defines a sexual act? (Some may consider it genuine "insert A in B" action, I was told it extended into heavy makeouts and sexual touches)
I like to think of it this way. Always imagine you're in a Fancy Restaurant. If you turned your head and saw your character kiss someone, it would be okay, but if you turned your head and witnessed two people heavy making out or fondling each other... it wouldn't be appropriate for the setting. So if it's something you would widen your eyes at in a Restaurant, it's probably safe to just Fade to Black.

I understand the rules but there must be consequences, right?

Though I think I already know them, it is still a good idea to throw that out to new members.

Jazimon said:
I like to think of it this way. Always imagine you're in a Fancy Restaurant. If you turned your head and saw your character kiss someone, it would be okay, but if you turned your head and witnessed two people heavy making out or fondling each other... it wouldn't be appropriate for the setting. So if it's something you would widen your eyes at in a Restaurant, it's probably safe to just Fade to Black.
I'm not asking for me. The mods already responded to my question a year ago. They didn't clarify in their PSA though, and it's a problem I foresee other people happening. You have a good analogy they should take a look at.

I think as far as what defines the inappropriate content is the old adage 'I'll know it when I see it'

Also I think the server storage doesn't need to be saving 100 page plus erotic PM's plus the nightmare of keywords pinging mods.

Lexielai said:
"Sexual touches" wouldn't be allowed, as it involves genitalia.

I propose that handholding is also way out. You can't hold hands at all. Too lewd.

While we're at it, couples can't look at each other's eyes, and they can't blush, they must remain stoic throughout, and no conversation that can be taken as sexual tension, belligerent or otherwise, can be held.

RELEVANT:

4ad.gif

of course im kidding.

Dannygirl900 said:
What's wrong with roleplaying sexual scenes in a private message? If the two people in the PM are okay with it and of age (18+) what's wrong with getting a little sexual with in PRIVATE message.
Sex is a natural everyday thing, and it's okay if you are the right age. Sex is an easy way to express love and passion. Putting that in to text can be a different way to experience it, and maybe some people in real life are unable to experience the real thing.

I personally am not speaking for myself because I do get a bit uncomfortable when it gets too sexual and I make it fade to black, but what if the two people texting the content are okay with it? If it's in private message it should not matter, and if they get banned because of it, that means you are reading up on the PM which is not okay.

Personally, in my year and 5 months on being on this site I have noticed that you are becoming more and more strict with your rules. I'm not trying not insult anyone, but it doesn't make sense to have a private message option if it is not exactly going to be private. You run a website made for roleplay, this is just like every other site though, Instagram can't completely control its users, Facebook can't completely control its users, you can't completely control your users or you will lose those users

I am just expressing my opinion toward the PM section. Not the rest of the site, because I do get uncomfortable in group roleplays and people get sexual.
I believe the reason they don't allow it in PM is because PM's can be viewed on people's profile pages. So even if you're not in the conversation you can see what's being said, and that would be an issue, probably legally, if a child were to see it.

Dannygirl900 said:
I'm still technically responsible for it. I have zero desires to see smut on my site.

While we have no ways to monitor the PMs or any inclination to do so, if a user reports it(which they can, every PM has a report button). We will get the conversation cent to our report center and we can take a look and the user will be interacted as if they had publicly posted it.

PMs are still technically a part of our servers and we will punish/clean up as they get reported. So I guess you are only as hidden as the other person you privately with can be trusted.

If we have reason to believe that something terrible is going on in PMs, we can and will take action and open an Inbox before a report even comes in. Thanks to extremely brave users on RpN, we've been able to deal with sick people who stalk other years, force addresses out of them and send extremely sick images to underage users.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]You can only see your PMs. Thats built into the software to allow you to easily find your own content.

[/QUOTE]
Ahh, thanks for the clarification & explanation :]

Lexielai said:
As a general rule, I won't warn anyone for heavy makeout sessions, though I may stop by the RP to let users know I'm observing them. I compare your post to a television script - could this plausibly air on primetime cable? Game of Thrones, Hannibal, Dexter... if your post is no worse than those shows, then I won't be fussed.

Dannygirl900 said:

As a website based in the US, we must comply with COPPA laws. If we don't, we (the staff and the site) could get into a lot of legal trouble. Because there is no way for us to actually verify users are 18+ (and not lying), we would not be able to say with absolute certainty we are doing everything we can do in order to prevent underage exposure to erotic content. Ergo, we don't allow it entirely and we never will.

Morbuskid said:
I understand the rules but there must be consequences, right?
Though I think I already know them, it is still a good idea to throw that out to new members.
You can read about the consequences in the warning system information post. We try and be as chill as possible and will avoid giving out warnings when we can.

Jazimon said:
I believe the reason they don't allow it in PM is because PM's can be viewed on people's profile pages. So even if you're not in the conversation you can see what's being said, and that would be an issue, probably legally, if a child were to see it.
Also the site only requires users to be 13- a minor could easily lie about being 18. There's laws and stuff.

Edit: ninja ninja ninja'd again

I honestly feel that this is a bit TOO restricting. I understand the no sexual content on public threads but in PM's? Really? There our own, private Messages. No other users than the ones we allow can see them. And if the people in the RP or messages isn't or is not comfortable then they can kindly leave. I feel like this should be our choice, they are our messages after all.

thatdamfangirl96 said:
I honestly feel that this is a bit TOO restricting. I understand the no sexual content on public threads but in PM's? Really? There our own, private Messages. No other users than the ones we allow can see them. And if the people in the RP or messages isn't or is not comfortable then they can kindly leave. I feel like this should be our choice, they are our messages after all.
Please see my post above as to why we don't allow erotic content in PMs. It has nothing to do with the staff decision. It was put into place because WE MUST comply with COPPA as we are a website based in the US.

Ergo, I will say they are not your messages. They may be your content, but you are still utilizing website software, therefore, we can moderate t

thatdamfangirl96 said:
And, futhermore, I will remind you that while the content is yours, PMs are a site resource and we are allowed to place rules on them as we see fit. If we are found not complying with COPPA, the site could be shut down and the site owner could face legal charges. Just FYI. (:

Actually I guess I do not know all the rules as I have and I will admit to....... Posting hitler on a forum.

thatdamfangirl96 said:
our messages after all.
Technically they are the server's and that belongs to me as far as the law is concerned.

Please user senpai don't get me arrested.

How will I work on :RpN: forever?

Nice. If, and a capital IF for that matter, I join a RP here I'll take this in consideration.

welian said:
As a general rule, I won't warn anyone for heavy makeout sessions, though I may stop by the RP to let users know I'm observing them. I compare your post to a television script - could this plausibly air on primetime cable? Game of Thrones, Hannibal, Dexter... if your post is no worse than those shows, then I won't be fussed.
No problem. Will you be adding this clarification to the public rules? That's what I'm concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread