Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: October 2020

OCTOBER 2020 NEWSLETTER
HXFYXnj.png

jackskellington.png

October Donation badge by @Fyuri

Housekeeping Notes

• The Creativity forum has been updated with a new board specific to non-roleplaying related writing! Go ahead and share your work with the community.
  • RpNation Status is now live. Check this website to see whether the forums are having a hard time or if it really is just your internet.
  • RpNation's Discord server now has it's own Modmail bot! Please use this new feature if you would like to reach out to the site's staff team for questions and help (do not DM the staff members for site related issues). Join the server here.
  • The October Writing Contest is now open for submissions!
  • Etherpad is an alternative word processor that makes it easy to collaborate with other writers without having to share an email address or other contact information. Read the announcement here!
  • Official RpNation Merchandise has made it to the shelves with two new stores; one for logo branding and one for creative work. Patreon supporters receive a special store-wide discount code!
  • Would you like to become a newsletter Helper? Fill out the application form and submit it here!

Tricky RP Ideas by @AndPeggy ― Featured Discussion

With roleplaying, there are many ideas, constructs and themes to venture with our imaginations, but there are some that are quite tricky to execute. What do you think constitutes as a tricky rp idea? Have you seen some roleplayed?
Red’s Art Hoard by Sacrilege Sacrilege ― Featured Artist
From the lighting to the lineart, it’s clear that the artistic ability runs in this user’s veins! There’s no doubt about it.
Milky Way of Stardust Galaxy: Rebirth by @Stardust Galaxy ― Featured BBCoder
Character creation and sheets are often used in the majority of roleplays here on Rpn. But do you want to add a bit of stardust to yours? You may find just the right sparkle to your sheet here!

Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk ― Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying?
I've been roleplaying on and off since I was introduced to Dungeons & Dragons back in middle school. It wasn't until 2017 That I decided to try online roleplaying after a friend and I had a successful text-based roleplay that finished. And when I say text-based I mean we literally texted each other daily on our phones lolol.

How did you discover RpNation and what was it like for you to go from tabletop to post-by-post?
I discovered RPN by literally google searching roleplaying then checking the site out in the search results. The site back then (and still is) the coolest one that made sense to me and I have stayed here ever since. Going from tabletop to post-by-post was honestly very difficult to adjust to and I still struggle with it. It's easy to get hung up on various things like "is my writing good enough" or "are my ideas bad" and "am I letting my partner down." If anyone out there struggles with those types of things I totally feel you haha. There's nothing easier than have a GM in person telling you what's going on versus having to create a scene on your own.

What are your favorite genres/settings to roleplay in?
I absolutely love medieval fantasy, period. Anything related to D&D, and videogames like Neverwinter Nights, Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy always have my attention. I even enjoy listening to audiobooks from authors like R.A. Salvatore about his Drizzt Do'Urden character. The medieval fantasy genre really gets my imagination going and makes me feel like anything is possible if you get the right spell, item, or NPC on your side. There's just something special about the simplistic way of life free from technology in this genre that is nostalgic. It's fun to imagine stone castles, log cabins, quaint hamlets in the countryside away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. (Although they have to deal with monsters lmao) I hope that makes sense. haha

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
Wow, other hobbies hmm. You're talking to a jack-of-all-trades and master of absolutely nothing lmao. I enjoy fishing, hiking, riding bikes and atv's, boating...pretty much anything outdoors...oh and I am also a big Netflix addict (Holla' to all you binge-watchers out there).

I think we can all agree that about 90% of humans are addicted to Netflix, hahaha. Speaking of, any shows or movies in particular that you're invested in?
Right now my current Netflix line-up consists of one anime (Toradora) an older comedy (Community) which is hilarious, and I just got hooked on Cobra Kai lol. I recommend all three! I love shows like those as it kind of gives you a break from always being stuck in "high fantasy" mode haha.

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
Hmm, I don't have any current RPN projects to share as I'm mostly on here just hanging out with people and chatting haha, but I was part of this one awhile back. We never finished it but it was still super fun to be part of, just don't look to close at my replies lol. Major thanks to @Jodyguru for running this with me. Dracula's Curse: A pathfinder adventure (closed).

I would also like to give a shout out to
Purr Purr and @Kaerri You guys are wonderful people, it's been great chatting with you two behind the scenes and talking about various things RP.
Purr Purr Really like your games, bro! GJ
@Wolf Rawrrr Amaranth is a great game, keep at it, sir!
@Sherwood Puns, and super dad jokes, need I say more
Crayons Crayons Some great advice from her and fun to chat with, thanks for putting up with me!
@ashwynne Even though she's just a Canadian I think we can all agree how cool she is! xD xD
@RandomBlobMan Thanks for posting stuff on my profile, it's always appreciated and fun!
@Jodyguru Dude, I owe you a reply 😭 Also, thanks for running the Dracula game, was super fun!
@peritwinkle Your art, is, amazing.
@Ayama I hope you are doing well and come back to us.
@Erato Thanks for putting up with me in the group chat hahaha
Chordling Chordling It's been great getting to know you! Thanks for the chat!
@-Silvermidnight- Loved your Allora character, what a tough nut to crack hahaha.

To anyone else reading this, thanks for being part of RPN life! I wish you all the best!

Those are some really great shoutouts! Our last question- What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Advice? From me? Oh lord. Tell someone close to you that you're thinking about them, love them, care about them etc. I would also like to say to be nice to yourself, you deserve it more than you realize.

Tear in the Multiverses by CocoaMarshmallow CocoaMarshmallow ― Roleplay of the Month

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
When I started the Tear in the Multiverses series five years ago on another forum, I was about 12 years old. My imagination back then ran wild, so every interest back then I had got mashed up inside my head; everything from Pokemon to the stick figure fighting animations I was always watching would always find some kind of connection in my hyperactive brain. Time went on, and I sorta discovered that I had an affinity for crossover stories and was totally obsessed with games like Super Smash Bros., even going as far as creating my own personal fanfiction that was a sequel to the Subspace Emissary. So, when I saw that the forum I was on had a subforum dedicated towards roleplaying, I was HOOKED. Plus, a few years before that, I tried (unsuccessfully) to squeeze inside the roleplay community there, so I sort of took it as my way to 'do things right this time.'

All in all, I decided on creating a crossover roleplay I could write to my heart's content in, with an open world that allowed people to insert whatever characters they wanted, wherever they wanted. I was hopeful I'd get some joiners, sure, but I didn't expect as many people as the roleplay ended up getting. The mini-community I built up grew little by little, and after several reboots, sequels, and reposts, we'd built up a tightly knit circle that was willing to throw their hats into the plot we'd sewn together over the 2-year run the roleplay had. It was, however, stopped by the forum shutting down, sadly.

Fast forward one or two years later, and I discovered this site with the help of the very people in that old circle thanks to a little overlap between them and the RPs I was participating in on Discord. All of us were still interested in crossovers, so that's exactly the types of roleplays I started joining here on RPN. And thanks to other multifandom roleplays here, I guess I rediscovered my love for a free RP you could just muck about in. So, thanks to nostalgia and the help of a bunch of friends who've kept me going all these years, I restarted Tear in the Multiverses with all the writing skills I like to think I've picked up all this time, haha!

What has made your roleplay successful?
I think Tear in the Multiverses' appeal has been the freedom. It's not the most polished roleplay, not the most literate (in terms of my own GMing, at least; the roleplayers there write PHENOMENAL posts!), not the most sophisticated- but I try to focus on the fun aspect of it. Every roleplayer can bring in any character they want and do whatever they want with them, OCs and player-run events included; within the rules, of course! Everyone has to balance their characters somehow. No matter who they play, I ask players to keep interactions with other players fair. That includes fight scenes. So while the power scaling might require some suspension of disbelief, you get some surreal scenes of the Combine fighting Lethal League's Candyman in Brazil, Minecraft Steve helping defend a steakhouse from Borderlands Psychos in Las Vegas, a Floran fed up with the fleshy people around her in Chicago, a former pirate turned gangster teaming up with a Vault Hunter just a mile away, and more. All of these interactions have come from the amazing roleplayers of Tear in the Multiverses (thank you ALL!), and seeing them use that kind of freedom so wildly... it just puts a smile on my face, y'know?

How did you start roleplaying?
Ahah! A lot of this goes back to the answer about my inspirations. See, young me once wandered into the forums of Roblox one day and saw a place where you could create characters and write stories with other people. And I figured, 'hey, I kinda wanna try this!' So I joined a few roleplays there and... well, I was pretty awful at it. I broke COUNTLESS rules. One of my worst offenses was writing posts where I controlled other people's characters. Not the best example of my writing, definitely- but it's what kicked off my obsession with roleplaying. I like to think I improved since then, ahah!

How did you discover RpNation?
From the exact same friends that I roleplayed with on Roblox! I believe I managed to connect with them again over Discord. They invited me to the reboot of a roleplay by the name of Millennium City, and from then on I've stuck around!

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out most?
Oh, man. Choosing this one's hard. I think I'd have to give it a tie between The Chronology Series hosted on this site as well as Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Roleplay held on Roblox. What stood out to me in The Chronology Series was its structure; the GM had a fixed story that was broken up into different events, each their own separate roleplay thread that lasted about two months or so, after which the next event would start. Each one took place in a different universe, whether it be the Red vs. Blue universe or Super Mario Galaxy's. It was definitely a new take on crossover roleplays for me. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Roleplay also follows a set structure with its events, though it allows free RP between roleplayers and GMs outside of those events, and despite being hosted on Roblox, has some SERIOUSLY literate RPers that have molded my characters and writing. It's also the VERY first game roleplay I've ever seriously participated in, and let me tell you- live roleplays like that really work your brain!

Other mentions I would like to include are Beyond Infinite Crisis and Perpetual Rift, both of which have been hosted here for quite some time as well!

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Ohh, coming home from school and seeing how the old Tear in the Multiverses was doing every day is probably my fondest memory. I loved to read what kind of wild interactions had taken place while I was gone, sitting in my house all cozied up as the sun went down and all the other kids came back to the neighborhood. There was an overlap between my personal life and my roleplaying life back then. Honestly, I wish I could have that same connection again, but since workload's increased in my senior year of high school, it's forced me to choose one or the other at a time. But, I still do have fun running Tear in the Multiverses, even if it requires a lot more time management than before!

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
First of all, find some people to take inspiration from. In almost every single roleplay I've joined, there has been someone or a handful of people, whether they be the GM or other players, whose style I've tried to emulate. I'm by no means a master of writing, but taking after my inspirations has helped me improve greatly. You guys know who you are.

Secondly, breaks are important. Roleplay's a hobby, not a job. If you ever start getting stressed about participating, step away. A clear head's needed in order for you to write at your best. In my experience, I've had my personal life's problems bleed into characters at times, which has resulted in some preeeetty out-of-character moments. So the moment you start feeling that pressure in your chest trying to tackle so many things at once, step away from the roleplay and do something else for a while! You might just strike gold the next time you get to writing!

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?
Well, as of right now, I'm focused on Tear in the Multiverses... but I am determined to revive another crossover of mine that may or may not deal with: raiding mega-corporation headquarters, touring galaxies, oversized chairs, and lots, and I mean lots of guns!

Witchshark.png

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I legitimately never expected this. This is by far one of the most phenomenal achievements I've achieved in all these years I've been writing.

I can't say it enough times. Thank you!

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I legitimately never expected this. This is by far one of the most phenomenal achievements I've achieved in all these years I've been writing.

Things like that, people don't simply get or are given. You gotta earn it and once more, you did it. You've earned it. My PFP tips her hat to you.

May your RP lasts as long as Beyond Infinite Crisis and those Power Ranger RPs that have been going on as long as I was around on this site. (Seriously, that's just impressive.)

Phantom Thief of Hearts Phantom Thief of Hearts

I'm not gonna lie, it's an honor to hear that from you, my man. You are without a doubt one of my inspirations. It makes me so happy to hear a compliment like that from a fellow crossover RPer. Keep up the amazing work yourself, y'hear?

I’ve been looking for a group Rp to participate in, is your Rp still ongoing?

Phantom Thief of Hearts Phantom Thief of Hearts

I'm not gonna lie, it's an honor to hear that from you, my man. You are without a doubt one of my inspirations. It makes me so happy to hear a compliment like that from a fellow crossover RPer. Keep up the amazing work yourself, y'hear?

I am honored as well. I want you to know this... I'm happy that we're both a part of this Fandom Renaissance of RPN.

Thank you, my dude.

Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk Wow! Thanked twice in one post! You are very, very welcome!

I've learned that one can sometimes discern a lot from the types of questions a Player asks. You ask some good questions, Simon! It's clear that you've done your homework first and are trying to understand on your own before asking for outside advice. That tells me that you're genuinely interested in learning without needing some to "hold your hand." When I first started RPing, I did my honest best to learn all that I could but at that time, I had only the books to teach me. So I read them over and over again until I felt I knew my stuff. I like Players who try to know the game well.

I also like your enthusiasm and your open-mindedness. Not everyone who enters roleplaying has those two important qualities. Best of all, I am convinced you're the kind of fellow who truly cares about himself, others, and what you're doing. I can work with anyone who cares (and I have a hard time playing with those who think it's all about them). I can teach and help with roleplaying with just about anyone. What I can't do is give Members the positive attitude that often creates wonderful roleplayers; that's all on the person I'm helping. You, Simon, already have that! And I think that's delightful!

So please feel free to continue asking whatever you like! You are a fun, likable guy who I enjoy sharing RP Nation with and you richly deserve to be Member of the Month! Woop-woop! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk Wow! Thanked twice in one post! You are very, very welcome!

I've learned that one can sometimes discern a lot from the types of questions a Player asks. You ask some good questions, Simon! It's clear that you've done your homework first and are trying to understand on your own before asking for outside advice. That tells me that you're genuinely interested in learning without needing some to "hold your hand." When I first started RPing, I did my honest best to learn all that I could but at that time, I had only the books to teach me. So I read them over and over again until I felt I knew my stuff. I like Players who try to know the game well.

I also like your enthusiasm and your open-mindedness. Not everyone who enters roleplaying has those two important qualities. Best of all, I am convinced you're the kind of fellow who truly cares about himself, others, and what you're doing. I can work with anyone who cares (and I have a hard time playing with those who think it's all about them). I can teach and help with roleplaying with just about anyone. What I can't do is give Members the positive attitude that often creates wonderful roleplayers; that's all on the person I'm helping. You, Simon, already have that! And I think that's delightful!

So please feel free to continue asking whatever you like! You are a fun, likable guy who I enjoy sharing RP Nation with and you richly deserve to be Member of the Month! Woop-woop! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)
You're going to make a grown man cry! LOL. I don't even think my mom has said something about me that nice! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's crazy, really. I never imagined something from the forums of a game I've been playing for 12+ years would still be around, let alone with its creator being featured today!

That said, I would like to rejoin someday!

Vunderful. The start of my favourite month of the year, and another big "anything goes" crossover rp getting the shiny medal this year? Looks like my day's been made!

Congrats on getting featured, guys! CocoaMarshmallow CocoaMarshmallow Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk

Reading that TitM is roleplay of the month is honestly both amazing and surreal. It feels like just yesterday when I was 12 years old, writing up the sheet for Kat Ruby to join in on the action in 2017. I wasn’t in the roleplay from the beginning nor was I there for the very end, but god dammit if it didn’t rapidly influence the next couple years of my online life. I don’t think I’d even be here on RPNation without seeing Tear in the Multiverses: The Voice’s Event, if we’re completely honest. This roleplay in its many incarnations helped me through debatably one of the worst years of my life, and I don’t know how to express how damn grateful I am for that. It helped me create the first drafts of some of my now favorite characters, got me into forum-based roleplaying and further into writing as a whole, and introduced me to some of my amazing friends. I’m nearly 16 now, and almost four years after first joining, I can say I don’t regret it at all.

Thank you Eric ( CocoaMarshmallow CocoaMarshmallow ), for Tears in the Multiverses. May we have many more amazing times and years, and may we remain friends for the days to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back