Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: November 2019

[div class=container][div class=header][div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]November Newsletter[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]Housekeeping Announcements[/div][/div]
November's Supporter Badge
typewriter2.png
Many thanks to @Fyuri!​
  • We hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween!

• Discord Association is back up and running. Apologies to those who were stuck waiting or experiencing issues. Follow the directions here if you want to join us on Discord.

• We apologize for the abnormal delay in Supporter rewards going out. All Supporters should have their September rewards now. If you were missed please create a thread in Staff Contact. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Sometimes real life just eats up time.

• The final writing event of this year has begun: 2019 Writing Event: Nostalgic November!

[div class=otm][div class=avatar]
17586.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
@Archie [/div][/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about your roleplay.
The Last Ship takes place on a gas giant with floating islands - they can float because the magnetic core propels cobalt and other magnetic metals in the soil into the upper atmosphere. This also lets ships fly fairly easily (as long as they have magnetic metals on board). Because oil forms at a much bigger depth than coal, there isn't much of it, which means the technology is mostly steampunk. The plot centers around the ANS Intrepid, the most powerful battleship ever built (complete with its own fighter squadron), and the last surviving big ship of the Navy of Aeternia - formerly the greatest country in the world, brought down by a conspiracy of its rivals.

What inspired you to create this roleplay?
When I was a kid I watched Last Exile and have wanted to create fiction in that kind of setting ever since. More recently, I watched the Horatio Hornblower movies and wanted to make something about a ship modeled after the Royal Navy. And, while the setting is different, the main plot point (a powerful ship running away) is based on Battlestar Galactica.

The biggest single influence, however, was just a thought experiment. Steampunk is a common genre, but there's rarely any explanation given as to why people don't use oil - it's just sort of hand-waved. That's the one thing I try to avoid when I worldbuild - everything has to have a good explanation. I decided that the only way humanity could be stuck in the steam age is if there wasn't much oil. The only way that would be possible is if the land literally floated since it wouldn't be deep enough to make reserves. The only way that would be possible is if cobalt in the continents was pushed upwards by the magnetic core of a gas giant, etc. etc. Then I branched off based on what I knew about world history to figure out the implications of this on society (for example, islands drifting next to each other leads to lots of diverse cultures forming).

What do you enjoy most about GMing?
There's a lot of artistic freedom in RPing - there are so many almost poetic things you can do when you control NPC interaction. But overall, I like the feeling of being able to create a sandbox that other people can play in and enjoy. I like RPing just as much as GMing, but when I GM try to make my character a 2nd wheel, follower type so other people can take control of the plot. Hosting an RP is almost like gardening and knowing that something is growing in your yard.

Lastly, I mentioned I wanted to come up with a scientific explanation for all fantasy aspects, but I usually don't know what that is when I start. I make it up over time and it turns into a great plot twist. I haven't yet dropped any hints of a twist in this RP so this might be a spoiler!

What are your favorite elements about steampunk?
The culture. The industrial revolution was a fascinating time in history when agricultural societies were growing into more complicated modern ones. "Globalization" hadn't really happened yet, so different cultures were still distinct in the way they looked and dressed. Meanwhile, fortune and fame were possible, but unlike today, abundance wasn't the norm and most people were still poor. This means that age was the real epitome of "adventure" - you couldn't google solutions, didn't always know the answer, knew that fortune and fame might await you if you took a leap of faith, but also couldn't fall back on a cozy air conditioned house if you failed.

How did you come about roleplaying?
I signed up for one of those old browser games when I was 8 or 10. I actually forgot what the game was called, but I didn't forget the RPs I played on the forum.

How did you discover RpNation?
You guys were the top search result when I looked up RP sites 5 (?) years ago.

How long have you been roleplaying?
I started when I was 8-10, so I don't know for sure, but just over a decade.

If you were to participate in NaNoWriMo, what would your write?
I forgot that was going on so thanks for the reminder! I've been toying with the idea of doing a magic-free medieval slice of life RP for a while, so I'll probably write a book along those lines.

The main things I want to do are depict the ordinary lives of medieval people as far as I've been able to research, and portray knights realistically (as the stressed and disciplined people they generally were, not the bubbly, womanizing dilettantes they become in most fiction). The central theme will be reconciliation with inevitable death for the main characters - a day to day struggle for knights in those dark times which isn't usually talked about today. The book will largely be based on memoirs and poems written by knights back then, which convey a constant struggle with the inevitability of their gruesome demise and the need to find something worth paying the ultimate price for.

What is your favorite candy and why?
Mnms. They're good and (surprisingly) not that bad for you.

Quick, make one of good characters evil!
My character in this RP, Theo, is a brooding tryhard with an inferiority complex who spent his whole life latching onto one of the sons of higher nobility and basically being a follower. So, that wouldn't be hard. He'd just need to be ordered to do something by someone he respected and he'd obey willingly.

Would you rather be covered in fur or covered in scales?
Fur. I mean, this isn't the worst fashion sense in the world.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
The Hunt. Bronze age fantasy, humans take over the world and start hunting down magical creatures. But there's also a giant mystery as to how magic works, who the Gods are, and why there are seemingly two Gods who want to kill each other.[/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=features]
[div class=smavatar]
11743.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Discussion
@welian[/div]
Have you ever wondered what would happen if RpNation had its own convention? Who would you meet? Where would you go? What would you do? All these questions and more are speculated about in Other - Suppose RPN hosted a convention... Talk about what friends you would see in real life, what moves you'd throw out on the dance floor, and whatever your heart desires!
[div class=smavatar]
74924.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Artist
@marchen[/div]
I eat colors showcases the lovely artwork of @marchen and their splendid characters. Some artwork is static while others are impressively animated. You can see both finished and unfinished works that they've shared.
[div class=smavatar]
32234.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Community Positivity
Bakuyoshi Bakuyoshi [/div]
Friends, partners, and those yet to be either, RPN is full of wonderful people, who gave us amazing experiences on site, or with whom we just love hanging out with. "Some of The Players That Made This Site Great" is a thread where one can show one's appreciation for all those people who help make RPN such a great site.
[div class=smavatar]
73020.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Character
@j u n i p e r[/div]
Tora Tashi is not just your typical sweet girl. She is actually a two thousand years old alien who spent about sixty of them on Earth. Neither she nor the owner of the building she lives in had aged over those years but they never mentioned it. She can read people's emotions so it's easy for her to make friends. But being an empath makes her get overwhelemed with emotions sometimes and so she has to shut herself in for a while.

[div class=featheader]Suggest Features[/div]
If you are interested in suggesting a feature for next month's newsletter please read the following information and instructions. There are a few rules though.
  1. Previously featured members for Member of the Month or Roleplay of the Month cannot be featured again for that category. This means if a user has already been featured in a certain section of the newsletter that they cannot be featured in that section again.

2. Please do not spam multiple suggestions or messages.

3. Remember that not all suggestions are going to be accepted. While your suggestions are appreciated there are limited slots in each newsletter. If your suggestion isn't accepted please do not let it make you disheartened; there is always the next newsletter. Additionally, some suggestions may not meet the requirements to be featured in the newsletter.

4. Please do not expect or anticipate a response to your suggestion. This isn't to be rude but rather Staff having limited time.

5. All suggestions will be kept anonymous, meaning we won't be sharing who suggested who/what for the newsletter.
What are you suggesting as a feature? (Options include Member, Roleplay, Character, Discussion, Artist, Prose, Poetry, #forumgame)
Please provide a direct link to your suggestion.
Why do you think your suggestion should be featured in the newsletter?

Please fill out the form and send a PM to Fyuri.
[div class=featheader]Would You Rather[/div]
Would you rather be covered in fur or covered in scales?​
[/div]
[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(200,241,247,1) 0%,rgba(45,149,188,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; z-index: 2; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class name=leaf] color: #fff; font-size: initial; text-shadow: 0 0 1px #000; position:absolute; top:-10%; pointer-events: none; animation-name:{post_id}leafsfall,{post_id}leafsshake; animation-duration:10s,3s; animation-timing-function:linear,ease-in-out; animation-iteration-count:infinite,infinite; animation-play-state:running,running; [/class] [animation=leafsfall] [keyframe=0]top: -10%[/keyframe] [keyframe=100]top: 100%[/keyframe] [/animation] [animation=leafsshake] [keyframe=0]transform: translateX(0px)[/keyframe] [keyframe=50]transform: translateX(80px)[/keyframe] [keyframe=100]transform: translateX(0px)[/keyframe] [/animation] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block -webkit-columns: 2 200px; -moz-columns: 2 200px; columns: 2 200px; -webkit-column-gap: 2em; -moz-column-gap: 2em; column-gap: 2em; [/class] [class=otm] box-sizing:border-box; width:100%; background: #313131; padding:5px; color:#fff; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class name=QBubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-left-radius: 0; background-color: #e5e5ea; color: black; margin-right: auto; text-align: left; [/class] [class name=ABubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; float: right; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-right-radius: 0; background-color: #0B93F6; margin-left: auto; margin-bottom: 2px; color: white; text-align: left; [/class]

That's a hard question because my first thought would be fluff, but now that I think about it scales are like armor. So I choose scales! Not to mention scales can be really pretty...
snake-eyelash-viper.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

Fur's great and all, because like everyone else has said, fluff. But sometimes you end up with the kind that gets shed a lot, or it just needs a lot of grooming. Hey, nothing against animals with fur, but that can be a high-maintenance deal right there. And it definitely tips the scales in favor of another option.

Speaking of scales... lizards have 'em. As well as snakes, crocs, and turtles. You know what the mentor's mentor was in Kung Fu Panda? They were a turtle. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me.
So, yeah. Scales. Definitely scales.

If you asked me this when I was warmer I’d probably be less decisive... but I’m cold right now and I figure I’d get used to getting fur in my mouth etc. before very long. I’m also used to cleaning up after our dog and cat that shed so it wouldn’t be a big adjustment on the cleaning front either, I choose fur.

I would like fur. I like long hair, and in my mind, having scales would forego a lot of mine, so I'd much prefer fur.

Scales! No doubt. I'm sick enough of having normal human hair - it's just so darn hot. I think fur would be a sure way to have a heat stroke, living in Florida and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back