Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: May 2022

p6XUx0J.png

MEMORIES

“I still hear you in the breeze, see your shadows in the trees, holding on, memories never change”
- Monody by TheFatRat ft. Laura Brehm​

Memory is essential to the human condition, whether it is good or bad. They are forged and forgotten, but their impact on the world endures; there is something worth remembering in every day of our lives, sometimes we miss it, but sometimes we catch it. Either in a photograph, a recording, a scent, a shirt, a notebook, and so on.

We'll find it again, somehow, someday.

What we do still has an impact and it is important.
What we do, what we experience, what we lose, and what we find are all eternal. In some way, they are etched into our history.

There's always some treasure we've left for ourselves to re-discover when we dig deep enough. We're always burying time capsules for our future selves to find along the road of life.

Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and crack one open. We already know what's inside; all we have to do is look.
Site Announcements
Official RpNation Merchandise
We heard you! Our merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for all weather! There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now! and check all we have in store!
Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Apply today!
Badges Resolution Change
The resolution of the badges have been increased to upgrade its overall quality.
Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying, and what made you stick to it?
It's a little embarrassing, but I started to roleplay on Roblox when I was 12. Looking back during those days makes me wanna hurl my innards out due to how amateurish the ideas I had back then. It doesn't help that my writing was limited to one-liners because of how structured Roblox roleplaying is. Though, it was great fun during those short times.
Do you have any memorable roleplaying experience(s) that you'd like to relive?
Over my long career as a writer, there have been a lot of notable experiences that I'd like to relive. Though out of the variety of memories, I'd pick three of them.

One of them was the first roleplays I entered in rpnation, a Pokemon group called Pokemon: Long Odyssey. While it was slow and didn't have much interaction between the GM and the players, I still hold it in my heart, to this day, for the first time experience of being in a group rp.

Another would be Fate/Bad Joke. Ironically, this was the first rp that I tried to improve my writing skills despite it being a meme fest. While we didn't manage to finish the Grail War, it was a lot of fun, and it had actual progress compared to other Fate group rps, I've been in. Though, I have learned that I shouldn't let myself get too carried away.

The last one was close, but I'd pick Bravely Null. While it was sometimes slow and we had to restart it a few times, it was plenty of fun.
What type of character do you frequent, or do you not have a preference?
Sadly for my characters, they're entirely determined by whims at the moment. I take a lot of influences from many mediums from art, manga, novels, and more. Whatever seems fun at the moment, I take it and use it to create my characters.
What are your favorite types of roleplay, and what makes you want to join one?
My favorite roleplays types of roleplays tend to be one related to fantasy. I'd probably join it if it has monsters, magic, and interesting lore.
Do you have a favorite genre or setting that you typically frequent? Any fandoms you are interested in roleplaying?
Not in particular. If it's something that seems fun and interests me, then I'd go for it. As for fandoms, I'd like to try a Soul Eater or Digimon Roleplay.
Are there any roleplays or GMs that you'd personally like to shout out for their dedication?
I have a few people in mind.

I want to thank BriiAngelic, Elenion Aura, and TaigaKitt for having me in "New Oasis: Four Heavenly Kings." If I'm going, to be honest, I didn't expect to have so much fun in this particular roleplay. The character, I admit, that I created was little more than a pipe dream that I expected to peter out but has developed into an amazing flame. I also admire the way you handle the members. It takes a lot of coordination, around 40 people.

I like to thank Ganryu for having me in his various roleplays. It was a lot of fun playing in Vera Valle, and I think you're an amazing GM. Thank you for allowing me to take a few liberties in GMing myself. I learned a lot from you, and I don't know how to express my gratitude.

I want to thank Blu for the incredible RP ideas. It amazes me how original they are, and they never stop getting even better.

Finally, I like to thank The Black Knight and his RP, "Gate." Putting aside my burning hatred for you, I like how you make the players explore the setting of Gate—implementing complex mechanics and turning the RP into a semi-game system where they're consequences to the player's actions. Not to mention you started an unpopular genre series that I hope becomes more popular in the future of RPnation.
How did you discover RPNation, and what kept you active for the last several years?
I discovered RPNation once I got tired of Roblox. I wanted to expand my horizons, and that's how I found RPNation. While it was rough settling down at first, I gradually became more active as I joined more roleplays. I've stayed here because RPNation has become a lot of activity and a variety of roleplay ideas that can't be found anywhere else.
Do you have other hobbies outside of roleplaying?
I like reading, playing games, and sleeping. Unfortunately, the latter doesn't work well with the formers, which causes me lots of stress.
What are some of your favorite shows, movies, books, or anime? Has any of it inspired you to create a roleplay or join one?
Pokemon has always been a favorite for me ever since I was young. If I ever saw a Pokemon Roleplay that I found interesting, I'd immediately jump into the wagon. I always liked the idea of having an animal companion that characters could bond with. The same goes for Digimon, except they can talk.

The Fate Series was always something I found interesting. The concept of a battle royal with five historical figures with five mages is quite exciting. While the Grail Wars are never resolved, I like the process whenever it goes in a thread.
Do you speak other languages besides English? If you could instantly learn one, what would it be?
Unfortunately, I don't speak any other language other than English. If I could, I want to learn Korean. That's because I've been getting into reading Korean Novels, and it isn't very pleasant to read them all. I have to take out my phone and take a picture of my computer screen to translate it. This process is often repeated up to 30 times per chapter.
If you could offer honest advice to those who have trouble writing, what are some of them be?
Take a break. Sometimes taking some time off will do wonders, and maybe some whimsical inspiration will come back. That and plan ahead. Put a goal for your character and try to strive for it. It'll give you a clear idea of how you would want to develop your character and motivate you to get to that point.
Are you looking to host any roleplays in the future that you might want to advertise here before you release them?
Nope.
Roleplay of the Month
What inspired the creation of The Mysterious Play: Hierophant of Skies? And what made you decide to format it as a quest roleplay?
Well, when I was in high school I read/watched the manga and 90's anime Fushigi Yuugi (which in English is "The Mysterious Play", hence my Quest RP's name!) and I ADORED the concept from the very beginning! The execution, however, was... fine, I guess? It wasn't anything ground-breaking for me, and everything it did other manga/anime has done better... But what it DID do was get me curious about its newly released (at the time!) prequel story Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden. Genbu Kaiden is pretty fantastic and as soon as I felt a tear trickle down my eye reading the ending for the very first time years and years ago (and I can count on my hand the number of times media has made me cry) this roleplay was already forming in my head. It was truly incredible: The original was 10 years older than Genbu Kaiden, but it felt like they were centuries apart! The author grew so much in just ten years! With that said, I've had almost all of the characters in The Mysterious Play for a little over a decade now, and I wanted to try my hand at old characters in a new story and see if maybe I can grow as a writer as well! As soon as I decided this I knew I wanted to try to tell my version of Fushigi Yuugi.

Whiiiiich leads me to the next question "why a QUEST RP?" Truth be told, I knew it would HAVE to be a Quest RP or not exist! If it was a Group RP not only would be extremely difficult to find a group large enough (and dedicated enough to stay and post consistently) to fill all the roles necessary, but the characters wouldn't be MINE, they'd be someone else's... That sort of defeated the point of what I wanted to do! Combine that with the fact that not everything was planned out and a quest RP just seemed the only feasible option! Not only that but, I actually LIKE having to think on my feet and switch things around with every choice that does (or doesn't!) go how I expect! Naturally, there are several things that need to be planned, such as the characters and setting, but aside from that we're all kinda "making it up as we go along" and I feel fulfilled with every post I write with events that I wasn't expecting to write!
What challenges do you face having the roleplay set up as a quest?
I actually had to shoehorn in a character because I wasn't expecting a reader to request extra company! The actual start of the journey ended up being entirely different than what I imagined because I had no idea I'd be adding a third character so soon! [/I]I still remember going "Oh no!" when I had to add a whole new character (that wasn't part of the chosen 7) and scrambling through my notes in a frenzy! My fingers were typing the post before my brain was actually finished forming the idea! Luckily it all worked out in the end, I'd like to think the unexpected character fit in smoothly into the narrative, though only my readers know for sure, haha!

I definitely am not very good at adaption, but the fact that I'm kept on my toes with every post gives me new vigor to write the next post every time! It's like an entirely different roleplay for every decision, and I'm definitely for it!
What has made your roleplay successful?
Oh, the readers, 100%!

I don't think the Quest RP's main character would be anything without the reader's votes!

I've stubbornly kept typing and drawing for The Mysterious Play, but none of that would have led anywhere if I didn't have readers and voters! An RP is only as good as its posters, after all, so I know the readers I have are the heart of The Mysterious Play! (Ay, shoutout to @Idea, @DreamBeat, and @Felis for sticking around as long as you have! You guys are truly the real MVPs!)
What is your favorite part of the roleplay so far?
One of my favorite things about the roleplay has got to be reading the decisions from the voters! Some posts they pick what I would, and other times they don't, but EVERY TIME they also show me WHY they picked what they did or react to something the main character (or other characters) said and I'm like "Huh! Neat!"

It's just fantastic to read both fresh, new perspectives and similar trains of thought!

Something else I've really enjoyed is watching my voters/readers choose to pursue deeper connections with the characters and seeing said characters bond and grow together! I haven't gotten a chance to explore the majority of these relationships in a roleplay before, so to actually type out two characters becoming friends, or falling in love with one another post by post, just makes my heart skip a beat because I've never actually written it out before and seeing the words right before me is sometimes overwhelming!
Now you've mentioned that you plan out your posts for the continuation of the story. How do you plan these posts?
Definitely NOT how you would regularly: When you're in a 1 x 1 or a Group you usually collaborate on what you both (or all/most of your group) want to happen... But it's different in a Quest RP because the collaboration is one action/choice decided by the majority that only ONE character is doing, not two or three, etc.

I plan my posts around what the majority decides: If they decide to go to a new area then I grab my notes on the world I've built and see where they're headed and who they'll meet, If they decide to deepen their relationship with another character I write them growing fonder of the main character and contrary wise if they do something another character doesn't approve of the consequences are damaging the relationship. I set absolutely nothing in stone aside from the settings and some character backstories/personalities/etc. I'll admit it's a little frustrating when things take a turn for the unexpected, but once I relax and go with the flow I really am satisfied with the outcome.
How did you start roleplaying?
Well, Some friends from High School I long since lost touch with got me into it, and then some other friends from another site kinda kept the spark going for a while. I liked the escape... But more than that, I just thoroughly enjoyed really getting into my character's heads and seeing how'd they'd react to other characters and other settings. I love tweaking their backstories to suit the RP and seeing what situations they come across and how they get through it (or don't get through it! Ha!)
How did you discover RPNation?
Haha, it's not much of a story, I'm afraid: Some time ago some old friends and I were looking for a new roleplay site and this site was the first to pop up on Google for me.
What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Well, there isn't any one particular moment I'm most fond of, truth be told, but I've met some pretty amazing people in my time roleplaying on this site (even met the love of my life here), and making fond memories with them daily is one of the best and greatest joys in my life currently!
Do you have any plans for a new roleplay in the future?
Actually, I do...! Er, If my readers/voter decide they want another adventure, that is. I actually plan to release the prequel to 'Hierophant of Skies' if the voters decide they wanna find out what happened before the current quest RP started.
What are some tips and tricks you would give to someone who wants to start a quest roleplay?
Keep the planning light, be ready to change things on a whim, and most importantly: go with the flow and relax. One of the worst things in those old "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" books was that most of the endings were horrible (at least, in my experience) except ONE ending, so it basically makes every other path and choice leading to it "wrong". You want branching paths with alternate endings that are still satisfying. I would suggest 3 main paths (so you don't have to have a giant flow-chart of notes and can easily track down 3 alternate routes to 3 alternate endings) and alternative narratives that can happen along the way because that's what happened to me when I added a character I wasn't expecting to: They had the choice of 3 different characters and paths to take and each path led to basically a completely different story (one of the paths almost went off on a tangent completely). I wish anyone and everyone who wishes to start a Quest roleplay the best of luck!

May Donation badge by @Daisie
fiL73BG.png

Congrats Misuteeku Misuteeku , well earned! I definitely enjoyed having ya in Vera Valle, and enjoyed the setting so much, currently working on using it as a setting for fic I'm doing on Ao3.

But yeah, you were great, and glad to see ya get member of the month! {And my ego definitely loves being mentioned XD}

Last edited:
Me when I got the PM from the mods to be interviewed for RP of the month:

I put this video on loop for 24 hours once, when I stayed up for 3 days straight.

When I went to sleep I dreamed about Crash Bandicoot.

I put this video on loop for 24 hours once, when I stayed up for 3 days straight.

When I went to sleep I dreamed about Crash Bandicoot.
:coolshades: Awwwwwwwwwww yeah, my people!

Also, just wanted to shout out to any peeps that posted in the Quest RP, like Funnier President and Patrias lover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back