Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: March 2018

[div class=container][div class=header][div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]March 2018 Newsletter[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]House Keeping Announcements[/div]
March Supporter Badge
Feb2018.png
Many thanks to Fable Fable !

Have something you want to suggest as a feature?
Share it here!
  • Please keep in mind that your status updates are posted onto the main page. If you post too frequently, it can flood the main status update bar! Please be considerate to others and space out your status posts. You can also reply to your own status updates for longer updates.

• The anonymous site that was taking over the status update bar is no longer permitted to be shared onsite.

[div class=divider][/div]
[div class=avatar]
21985.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Member of the Month
@Umbrie[/div]
When did you start roleplaying? What were your early experiences like?
i started in when i was in kindergarten in 1994. finding other roleplayers was extremely difficult. we did pencil and paper stuff

How did you discover RpNation?
i was linked by a friend and clicked a link out of curiosity

What features would be in your ideal roleplay? Do you have a favorite genre?
a balance of action, exploration and interaction with a focus on tying the mechanics to the lore while still keeping things mostly fair amongst players, my favorite Genre would likely be Urban Fantasy.

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
Tabletop Gaming, i also play both World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14

Do you have a favorite quote?
i don't

What is a guilty pleasure of yours when it comes to roleplays?
playing the cute little sister figure that is still a dangerous contributing member of the group

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
anywhere without a lot of venomous predators

Are there any books or authors that have been influential to you?
not really. i kind of take from a variety of sources with no significant author being more influential than another

Is there a book/show/movie that you’ve been excited about recently?
do games count? Battle for Azeroth if they do. kinda avoid television

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!
not any at the moment.

Is there any wisdom you’d like to impart to the readers of the newsletter?
i have some bits of wisdom that are best given their own section

Novella isn't a length, it is a style. at the same time, you don't need to be novella to enjoy roleplay

Too much word count alienates new roleplayers

don't worry about the word count of your post, i don't mind one liners if they aren't something like *Hugs you* or *Knocks you down*
[div class=avatar]
55273.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
@Yatasal[/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about what The Realm of Visifia is about.

Queen Averian is a tyrant. And there is a spy in her court.
Alais Naforn was sent by Natallia Gingifi and other leaders in the Dragon Thief community to the
Caligookish court to steal information about dragon mine shipments, dragon slave trading, and eventually, be in place for
when they gather enough support for a regime change. But something happened to Alli that she never expected; she became pregnant.
With dragons. Her husband being a dragon, this isn't unexpected, but highly dangerous. Especially in Queen Averian's court.[/SIZE]
Queen Averian called her disloyal, and proposed that if Alli wished to remain in her court that she kill the babies publicly as soon as they are born.
Alli is disloyal, and she won't kill her children. But to protect herself and her children, she says that she will.
To prove this, and punish her for becoming pregnant with dragons, Queen Averian sentences her to jail and assigns her a midwife.
The midwife is instructed to report to Queen Averian every time and report any comment of disloyalty or plan to save the babies.
Someone must save Alli and her children.

You receive a cryptic letter, one that asks you to join the sender at the green castle. It merely says, "Get to the Green Castle. I'll owe you a favor." The only symbol identifying the sender is a seven point star. Which could only mean one person: Natallia Gingifi, the most famous dragon thief in Visifia.
And she's asking for your help. Will you go?​

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
I've been working and developing this fantasy world for years now. I love magic and the idea of souls, so I've been adding things to this world every time I come across a new concept or fantasy think I like and want to incorporate. This particular roleplay came about when I saw a picture of a woman holding a baby in what I thought was a jail cell. It was then I thought how difficult it would be to be pregnant and be in jail. One thing led to another and I developed the idea for this roleplay.

What was your biggest struggle in creating your roleplay and how did you overcome it?
The biggest struggle was making sure I included all the details I wanted to include but didn't overload my players with information. There's actually a whole other side of the world not included in the roleplay simply because it was too much to include. I believe I've accomplished my goal, although there's still a LOT of information on the Lore page.

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?
I'm fairly strong in length of posts and the amount of detail and effort I put into a world. I love putting time and details into my characters, and I love creating different little aspects of my world.

How about weaknesses?
What weaknesses? I am a perfect host.
Just kidding. I believe one of my weaknesses is tending to overwrite. This comes out especially when I'm posting as characters. I love to include details, and some of them are extraneous and therefore I don't need to include them. I do anyways, creating these long posts that my players then have to read through. I would hope it doesn't slow things down, but it might.

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
I see plenty of roleplays where it's a typical or cliche setting. This isn't to say those are bad; in fact, I quite enjoy a monster high school or a fantasy world. However, with my own roleplays I try to create (or use) a story prompt that leaves a slightly open ended world. I say slightly because if left too open, you as the host have to try and guide the story and it's much more difficult when you don't know (or you do know and the players don't know) where you want the story to go. It makes the RP not fun or enjoyable because it has no foundation. But you also can't create a gird-locked plot. That also makes the RP not enjoyable. You have to find a balance, and this RP has worked beautifully because of that balance.

How did you come about roleplaying? How did you discover RpNation?
My good friend Puffball (an ex-RP nation player) introduced me to this site. That's how I got to be a roleplayer, and eventually a host.

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in?
I participated in a steampunk post-apocalyptic roleplay where my character (Sia) was a winged person with one steampunk wing and one normal feathered wing. It was a lot of fun, and unfortunately fizzled out because the host had medical issues.

What stood out most?
The host made a memorable world, memorable characters, and kept the plot moving.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Death scenes are my favorite to write. Before you think I'm a dark roleplayer (I'm not, I'd like to think), I love them because they tend to carry the extremes of emotion. Rage, wrath, depression, grief... They all combine in death scenes. My favorite death scene that I've written is one from a 1x1. My character, Gwen, could control the weather and loved storms. Whenever she was out in the rain, she could bend the raindrops in such a way that she wouldn't get wet, even while sleeping. She was in the care of an elf, and the two of them lived in these ancient woods. One day Gwen and Falkrie discovered that the king of the land was doing something evil (I don't remember exactly what he was doing but it was a very bad, no good, horrible thing. I'm sure of it). They traveled to the capital to combat the king and his forces. Gwen and Falkrie got separated, and a huge storm kicked up. Eventually Falkrie caught up to Gwen, and Gwen was fighting the king himself. Falkrie got there just as a huge bolt of lightning exploded in the square, turning the king to dust. When Falkrie turned back, she ran to Gwen, who was lying motionless in the square. She was also wet, the rain soaking her clothes, and blood seeped into her clothes. Falkrie held her, whispering, "Why are you wet, my sweet girl? You told me you were always dry in storms..."

Anyway. That's my favorite death scene.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
I'll quote some advice I heard from Brandon Sanderson: "Always air on the side of awesome."
Also, use the internet. It has so much character inspiration, story prompts, and things that can help you much more then I can.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? If so, what are they?
Hosts that don't host. Or that expect the players to keep the plot together or worse, make the plot entirely. It's annoying and makes me feel like I have to pick up the slack. Or characters that overly swear. I understand that there are characters who swear frequently simply because that is their character, but being LDS (a religion), I try not to swear unless a character calls for it, and even then it's infrequent. It really bothers me when people use it over-the-top. Even if a character calls for it, I prefer swearing not be used.

Would you rather be a unicorn or a pegasus and why?
Pegasus. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to FLY.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
Nope! Right now, Visifia is my only roleplay. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
[/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=features]
[div class=smavatar]
53760.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Discussion
@EllyGloom[/div]
Do you prefer your character's background to remain mysterious, or perhaps you prefer everything to be know about them? @EllyGloom's thread ' Roleplay Theory - My Different thought on Character Backgrounds ' opens up the discussion on this preference.
[div class=smavatar]
47573.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Artist
Wert Wert [/div]
Wert Wert is a very talented artist who has shared their artwork - Digital - Wert's Stuff - which features lovely digital works. Did you know they also drew their own avatar? We highly encourage you check out their works, even their sketches are great.
[div class=smavatar]
54326.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured BBCode
southside. southside. [/div]
southside. southside. 's BBCode thread - Resource - ᴛʜɪs ɴᴇᴡ ᴠɪʙᴇ —☆ //ᴡᴏʀᴋsʜᴏᴘ - hosts wonderful BBCode designs that fall under the 'aesthetic' trend here on RpNation. They feature light colors, small fonts, and KPOP idols. Additionally they are clean and organized for the information they contain and multi-theme friendly.
[div class=smavatar]
56184.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Poetry
@LadyLunaGlencoe[/div]
@LadyLunaGlencoe has shared their poetry - Poetry - My Amateur Works - stating that they've struggled with it and are completely self-taught. This thread shares their poetry from oldest to newest, displaying their progress and is open to constructive feedback.
[/div][/div]
[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(200,241,247,1) 0%,rgba(45,149,188,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class]

Amazing newsletter, great job to those who worked on it! Great job to those mentioned in it as well ^^

Nice newsletter, but I do have a question. Is there any particular reason why there's no featured prose?

Hooray for the newsletter! Grats to everyone in it!

=)

Nice newsletter, but I do have a question. Is there any particular reason why there's no featured prose?
It comes down to a few things.
  1. Members haven't been suggesting features for over a year now, so it's up to staff to try and dig for features, which we don't have much time to do.
  2. Because we don't have as much time as we would like to work on the newsletter, we don't get excessive in the features. If you look at past features, we haven't featured a variety in a while as far as categories go.
  3. We only try to feature recent threads. There aren't really that many "prose" threads posted in the Creativity forum versus say, digital art.
We do what we can, with the time we have, to get out a newsletter once a month.

We do what we can, with the time we have, to get out a newsletter once a month.

I wasn't suggesting the absence of a featured prose was due to a lack of effort; I realize you work hard on the newsletters. I was simply curious, considering they've been featured in the past, why it was left out of this month. Here's hoping short stories will have a resurgence on RPN in the near future.

I wasn't suggesting the absence of a featured prose was due to a lack of effort; I realize you work hard on the newsletters. I was simply curious, considering they've been featured in the past, why it was left out of this month. Here's hoping short stories will have a resurgence on RPN in the near future.
Guess I'm just way to used to have to explain it to users by now. X3 I've tried to dig up some prose here and there so a revival would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back