Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: June 2018

[div class=container][div class=header][div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]Newsletter Header[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]House Keeping Annoumcements[/div]
June's Supporter Badge
AvbyDDV.png

Many thanks to @Fyuri!​
  • Please remember to use the Report button when a fellow member is breaking one of the community guidelines. While we appreciate fellow members stepping in to help, it's often best to just leave it to the staff. Likewise, we recommend using the Ignore button so that specific users can't bother you. The drama of an argument just isn't worth it.

• Some of you may have already noticed, but we now have a RPN Discord bot! It'll send you a Discord notification when you receive a reply in your conversations!

[div class=divider][/div]
[div class=avatar]
15047.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Member of the Month
LegoLad659 LegoLad659 [/div]
When did you start roleplaying? What were your early experiences like?
It was on Twitter actually, I believe. A (Now ex-)friend of mine pressured me into signing up and I ended up getting involved with this group on there that regularly RP-ed short, almost slice-of-life scenarios together, with some more deep plots every now and then. We made accounts for different characters, and pretty much just screwed around interacting with each other in various ways. I also feel like that was a really good place for me to grow out of my "Mary Sue/Self Insert" phase, since not a whole lot was really taken seriously there XD

How did you discover RpNation?
Because of some personal life stuff that happened, I was no longer able to use Twitter for roleplaying (And while I had been doing some private RPs with my sister on another website, that was starting to get stale pretty quickly). Eventually I just decided to Google "Roleplay website", and RpN was the top result.

What features would be in your ideal roleplay? Do you have a favorite genre?
Character interaction is one of my favorite parts of RP, or even just writing in general. As a result I also tend to favor romance RPs or stories that are pretty basic in plot. An epic adventure for me to follow would be amazing though, but all the people offering such RPs require things of me that I just can't give, like a consistent post length or specific pairings.

Follow up question! What's your favorite roleplay you've been in?
Following the vein of the previous question, a 1x1 Fantasy RP where my character. an infamous thief, travels to a foreign continent to collect a set of magical artifacts called the Dragonstones. She finds out about them when raiding a wizard's tower, and takes the next ship there so she can collect them, and eventually sell them on the black market to become stupid rich. Along the way, one of the people she steals a Dragonstone from is a prince, who she had to spend some time with in order to gain enough of his trust to grab it and run. Although now she's starting to realize that she may be falling in love with him.

I've probably explained too much XD But it's been pretty fun so far.

Entering summer, do you have any special plans you'd like to tell us?
Ah... Sadly, not really. Lots of life stuff is going on right now, and that's kind of been putting a halt on most plans lately until they can get sorted out. I do have some tentative plans to continue writing a fan fiction story I've had up for like five years now XD But we'll see where that goes.

Favorite joke?
From "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?":
"Welcome to the 6:00 news, I'm your anchor: Oswald Thatendswald. Our top story today, convicted hitman Jimmy "Two-Shoes" McClarty confessed today that he was once hired to beat a cow to death in a rice field using only two small porcelain figures. Police admit that this may be the first known case of a "Knick-knack Patty-whack"."

...Or even any of Colin Mochrie's Newscaster lines in that show, really. They're all hilarious XD You can easily find the clips on Youtube, I highly suggest you look 'em up if you ever get the chance.

Are there any books or authors that have been influential to you?
This may come as a surprise, but I don't actually read many books or watch many movies. I used to as a kid, but not really so much anymore. That said, there are two main inspirations for me and, specifically, the world I write my characters in.

First is a game called Magicka, a game where you and up to three other friends play as a group of wizards in a very satirical version of the standard "Save the world" adventure. You fight by combining 8 different magical elements to cast various spells, and most elements can be combined to create unique attacks (Combining Arcane with Lightning creates an electric laser beam, while Arcane and Water would give you a laser beam that makes enemies wet, for example). This system is ultimately what gave me the idea to use an elemental theme for all magic in my world.

And second is my sister, @Daisie. Like I mentioned earlier, I wrote with her for quite a while a long time ago, and many of the things that happened in those RPs helped immensely in shaping the world into what it is now. To the point where I've actually outright stolen a few things because I wanted to expand on them XD Thanks, Daisie ^.^

What are some pet peeves you have? Roleplay-wise?
Roleplay-wise, I don't really have anything specific... I'm usually pretty lax, with two exceptions: Post length requirements, and any kind of grammatical or logical errors. The first is because I'll write however I like, and I don't like thinking I have to add on extraneous fluff just to fit some arbitrary number of sentences (I tend to take that stuff literally). And the latter is just common sense XD Although grammar in particular bothers me a lot more than I think it does other people.

Anything interesting you're into these days? Books? Movies? Songs? Games?
There's a game called Copy Kitty that I've been playing lately. It's a stage-based platform/fighter thing inspired by Mega Man and Kirby (I don't have official confirmation on that, but the correlation is pretty obvious XD). You can collect energy for weapons from enemies that you kill, and you can also combine the properties of those weapons to make different weapons, and some bosses let you use their own weapons against them as well. And the soundtrack is awesome, I love it so much.

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!
Not really. I gave up hosting Group RPs a long time ago because I'm just not that good at running them XD I'll make humorous threads in the other forums occasionally whenever I get an idea for one, but I mostly just keep to myself outside profile posts.

Is there any wisdom you’d like to impart to the readers of the newsletter?
Don't be a dick, it helps no one :xFtongue:

Nah, seriously though, if I had to give anyone here advice, it'd probably be not to be discouraged by the no doubt countless drop-outs you've had from RP partners, both 1x1 and in groups. It took me about a year before I found one guy that would stick with me and actually finish a story with me. And it was only a few months ago that I found a second one who'd do the same. I've had tons of partners in between both, and every single one of them I've either had to leave because I could tell we weren't compatible, or who just bailed on me without even saying anything (Or even while saying something, but only just enough to piss me off even more than if she'd just not said anything at all - Tell me everything or nothing, sitting in the middle just makes it worse. But I digress). It may take a while - A long, long time even. But someone is a perfect partner for you. It's just a matter of figuring out who that is. Also close friends are no safe bet either.
[div class=avatar]
50873.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
Avari Avari [/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about what your roleplay is about.
So Being Human is your classic "Fish out of water" trope, following the adventures of a group of high-level fantasy characters who are flung into the real world at the climax of a war that has spanned several centuries, as the forces of light battle against the tyranny of a sorceress called Lucrezia. The characters find themselves in modern day London, with their forms changed to that of normal humans - and the loss of all of their abilities. So not only are the characters trying to bring an end to the war, they're having to deal with things like rent, jobs and the awkwardness of human relationships.

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
An anime called the Devil was a Part Timer was the inspiration, though most of the world building is taken from previous (failed!) RPs. As well as Persona 5. I wanted to do something where players would have practically free-reign over their characters origins so everyone would be passionate about their roles within the RP.

What was your biggest struggle in creating your roleplay and how did you overcome it?
Honestly, everything was pretty smooth! Of course, you get the usual disappointment of someone coming forward with an amazing character idea and then you never see them again - but that's just how it goes really. I was really lucky to get such a passionate group of people involved; there's some great writers in the RP.

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?
Enthusiasm I suppose, and access to Photoshop. It's always fun to be able to offer visuals like maps and such to everyone to help with world-building. I slavishly refresh RPnation a lot these days, so I usually reply to DM's Pretty quick too! Aha.

How about weaknesses?
I do have a tendency to over-plan things sometimes, which ends up with me constantly having to tell others "No, you can't do that" and such, but Being Human was specifically created to counter that - I have zero plans this time around outside of a vague framework, so it's a lot funner this time around, where players come to me with plot pitches and ideas and every-time I go "Sure, why the hell not let's do it!"

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
Liberal use of bold font and fancy map artwork. I do my best to post daily as well - to maintain interest. RPs can easily and suddenly die - so it's important to keep the ball moving. I think players naturally gravitate to RPs where they're confident it' won't die a death in the first two weeks so you get that snowball effect as well.

How did you come about roleplaying?
Mostly through the fact I'm a big fan of DnD but don't really have a lot of spare time to get a group together! RPs are the next best thing, but I've done a lot of group-writing projects before, which have basically been roleplays. They've always been a lot of fun.

How did you discover RpNation?
I googled "RP forum"

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in?
Oh god, I haven't been in many! I guess I can't say my own - oh geez. I tend to gravitate to cozy stock fantasy RPs so I haven't been in any "crazy" ones with high-concepts. Being Human might be the closest one so far *laughs guiltily*

What stood out most?
That it didn't die in two weeks. Wasn't quite prepared for that.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
A Long long time ago, on a website far away - I got invited to this group writing project. It was on google docs, and while everyone was controlling a single character - it was being written like a proper novel. The plot was about a city, where a magical jewel had been shattered into several pieces, and it was a race to find them before this shadowy Illuminati group. I actually played the antagonist of the first act, before joining forces with the others. We never finished it unfortunately, but it went on for almost 2 years. It was a really nice time.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Actively encourage players to bring their own ideas to the table and be open to incorporating them into your plans. Players will always be far more enthusiastic if they're given the opportunity to freely make their own mark on the campaign. Talking and listening about characters is always very fun as well.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? If so, what are they?
Bad spelling and Edge-Lord characters. Shallow evil characters bore me to death, so I did my best to make Lucrezia in being Human a complex character. She's a villain who has done terrible things, but all in the name of saving the world in the only way she knows how.

If you could name a color, what would it be?
Flamingo Green. It's green, but it's also the color of a Flamingo.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
Nothing right now honestly! But Being Human is always open to new players!
[/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=features][div class=smallbox][div class=smavatar]
52545.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Discussion
@Thacht[/div]
Ever walked out of the cinema thinking "well that was something"? Or perhaps stand up from a Netflix marathon contemplating the absurdity of what you just binge watched? Maybe it was the actors? Or the scenes? The setting? The plot maybe? Or maybe the whole thing just made you question it. Come and discuss it with us! TV & Film - Strangest film you've ever seen?[/div][div class=smallbox][div class=smavatar]
13696.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Artist
chamomile chamomile [/div]
chamomile chamomile 's art in Digital - chammie's artsies is just wonderful. Her digital artworks strikes a perfect balance between simple and detailed, using a wonderful blend of colors to make her character subjects pop out with character. There are also some beautiful black and white sketches that she's done. You all should check it out![/div][div class=smallbox][div class=smavatar]
57361.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Poetry
Svisttt Svisttt [/div]
You can find Svisttt Svisttt 's collection of poems here: Poetry - Poetry bits oh dear lord. Despite her apprehension towards sharing it, each and every poem is great. Full of emotion, these poems often evoke sorrow towards reality. Nonetheless, each and every one of them is worth a read.[/div]
[/div][/div]
[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(200,241,247,1) 0%,rgba(45,149,188,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: flex-start; flex-wrap: wrap [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class] [class=smallbox] flex: 1 1 300px; text-align:justify; box-sizing:border-box; padding:10px; [/class]

I think “Whose line is it anyway” would be a dream job of mine. Shame Colin and Ryan would blow me out the water easily..

I could give Wayne a run for money though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back