Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: February 2020

[div class=root] [div class=bannerroot] [div class=banner][/div] [div class=title] RpNation Newsletter February 2020 [/div] [/div] [div class=news] [div class=badge]February's Supporter Badge
02-20-feb-candy.png
Thank you Daisie Daisie ![/div] [div class=announcements]
[/div] [/div] [div class=rpotmbox] [div class=box] [div class=ava]
75244.jpg
[/div][div class=rpotm][/div] [/div] [div class=rpotmtitle]Featured Roleplay Luxura Luxura [/div] [/div] [div class=content]Give everyone a quick summary about your roleplay. Britannica Lost is the next chapter in the Pax Britannica(est.2010) series. Heralding in the age of reason, progress, mechanization and industry, the Victorian era signalled the dawning of a new age. Top hats and top-shelf manners. High society, and high-risk colonial ventures. Carriages, bustles, pubs and pocket watches. The human race was flourishing. But, humans were never the only creatures walking the cobblestone streets now were they? Creatures with inhuman speed, strength and raw, bestial power have long-lived among the ordinary beings, quietly, for dozens of centuries. Gods, walking among men, tethered by the moon's call - men who turned into massive beasts at whim. With the creation of the first vampire, the world was cast into eternal twilight, time ceasing to exist for nearly one thousand years. Centuries of blood poured down London’s streets as the immortals battled for dominance, leaving terror in the hearts of mortals that would pass down for generations. Amidst war and industry, in the perpetual twilight of New Londontown, religious zealots, armed with science and technology rose to power. A common threat to both immortal races was born. They called themselves...Templars. Holy knights of God, set to cleanse the world of all immortal, ungodly abominations. Their mission was simple: to destroy all supernatural beings. When the Midnight Jackal and the Leech King perished by their righteous hands, the world was cast in brilliant sunlight. With New Londontown liberated, all of England was not far behind. Vampire and Beast that survived fled across the world, finding new ways of life and trying to remain unseen. The Templar’s influence spread quickly at the news of their successes, making that reality few and far between. The remnants of a millennia-old war between vampire and beast has drawn to a close. Set in the vibrant post-Steampunk city of New Orleans, the story unfolds in the aftermath of a centuries-long battle. Beast and vampire alike flee across the ocean to The Cresent City-- a haven for their kind. The threat of the Templars is ever-looming, their wrath far from over. Fang and claw must come together to save their races, or risk becoming extinct. What inspired you to create a this roleplay? This chapter was inspired simply by the players who wished to see where the world of Pax Britannica could go without some of the constrictions we faced in previous chapters. We wanted to explore new settings and dream a little bigger. Under new management, our veterans to the original plot stay true to its roots and pay homage to its original creators, while new players are welcomed and encouraged to create this fantastical world as a team. We wanted to take the best parts of Pax Britannica and give it a fresh look and feel, and breathe life into the story with boundless creativity. What do you enjoy most about GMing? The fact that we don’t have one! AntarcticRomantic and I are the driving forces that lead and steer the administrative side of the roleplay. Anything from scheduling events for the players, setting up posting schedules and Chat Nights. We like to consider ourselves the ‘HR Department’. But, in this rendition of the story, the plot and all the facets of the world are built collaboratively as a team. Players that join us are asked to commit to a long-term investment, as those who come in own as much of the story as anyone else. We are only as strong as the sum of our parts. By no means do we claim that this story is ‘ours’. This time it belongs to every single one of our delightful cast. What do you least enjoy about GMing? Perhaps it can be granted that the Human Condition plays the biggest role in any setting where one has to take the lead. As much as it can be the driving force of happiness, it can also be the thorn in the side of any conflict. Being the ones to tackle issues head-on can be draining as empaths and introverts, but our group is incredibly supportive, and we have a dedicated team of admins who help us carry the load when we find ourselves in need of moral support. At present, I am the longest active member of the plot at a whopping 10 years-- Yes, a decade! And only shortly thereafter is AntarcticRomantic. She and I know and hold the history of the story close to our hearts, and that in and of itself can be a burden to keep track of. Finding the balance of tradition and where to let things blossom into something new can be tricky, but that’s all part of the fun of collaboration. How did you come about roleplaying? Luxura: For myself, I started in a chatroom! I think it was called ‘Teen Chat’? And there was a general RP chatroom called The Padded Cell. Maybe I’m the only one that remembers that place-- I’m ageing myself here really bad! But it taught me how to be quick, to the point, and-- funny enough-- to RP combat scenes? Strange, I know. Eventually, I found myself wanting to write more than what 150 character limits could offer, and at a slower pace. I found GaiaOnline, and that’s where I made my home until RPN! AntarcticRomantic: I started back in the days of Neopets, before it was required that the roleplay be site-content-specific. (I’m also aging myself there.) For me, it was a lot more casual and then I came across Gaia when I was aging out of Neopets. That’s where I was able to learn more about character building, plotting, and world building. How did you discover RpNation? While on the hunt for a new place to call Pax Britannica home! Our goal was to move off Gaia and find a site that was focused solely on storytelling and had a member base that wasn’t aimed for kids. We scoured the web for a place that was active, inviting and had a wide range of players with different tastes that we could slip in easily and not ruffle too many feathers. We did, anyway, but it came at our advantage. Shoutout to Jet <3 How long does it take for you to create your roleplay? From graphics, coding, to world building. The world-building comes fairly naturally most of the time, and that is because it is a collaborative effort. Ideas are constantly being thrown around and we take the best ones and meld them into the plot to see what works now and in the future as goals to work towards. It’s a constant. The initial graphics took much longer, and the coding even longer still. I had the main graphic commissioned by an artist (offsite), and I purchased the Adobe files so I could do any other little bits on my own. All the rest was done by myself over the course of a couple months before launch. constellation constellation & @christy are an absolute dream to work with. Both these ladies helped us immensely with the coding for all the Character Profiles and Placeholders. <3 I can never thank them enough for their time and talents. What is your guilty pleasure when it comes to character tropes? Luxura: Yikes. I’d have to say… characters that aren’t related having a parent-child relationship; and Villan-turns-Hero becoming that Weird Uncle. AntarcticRomantic: Unexpected romances. I’ve always been a sucker for a good love story, especially when it surprises you. Also “Bad Guy with Heart of Gold”. I can’t write them for anything, but I love when others do it and do it well. Would you rather be immortal or have nine lives? Luxura: Immortal. If only so I can take my sweet time learning and observing, and never have to fear the imminent death that could come at the end of any of those other lives. As the player with the character that has already died twice and is waiting for the next, I can safely say if you die, you should probably stay dead. AntarcticRomantic: Nine Lives. Accidents happen, and I would hate to die because someone did something ridiculous. Life is about choices and each life could mean something different. Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share? Britannica Lost is the one and only! Here’s to another decade of tomfoolery! [/div]
[div class=featurebox] [div class=ava2]
14559.jpg
[/div] [div class=featuretitle] Featured Artist @Nona [/div] [/div] [div class=content]@Nona's thread • Taking Commissions! • (+ art dump) houses their wondrous artistic works. The art shared here features characters in casual poses which are beautifully colored and expressive. [/div]
[div class=featurebox] [div class=ava2]
65684.jpg
[/div] [div class=featuretitle] Featured Discussion @myah [/div] [/div] [div class=content]Do you prefer to only role-play with users who use BBC code? While BBCode isn't super divisive within our community preference still exists. How do you feel when it comes to BBCode in your own roleplays? Is it something you absolutely despise or something you absolutely love and must include? [/div]
Want to suggest a feature? Click here!

If you are interested in suggesting a feature for the newsletter please read the following information and instructions.
  • Do not spam suggestions.

• Previously featured members for a specific section cannot be featured there again. For example; if someone you want to suggest for Roleplay of the Month has already been featured for that, they cannot be featured for that section again.

• Unfortunately not all suggestions will be accepted. While your suggestions are appreciated there are limited slots in each newsletter. If your suggestion is for a member who has already been featured for a specific section, is old content, or doesn't meet other criteria it may not be featured.

• Please do not anticipate/expect a reply to your suggestion.

• All suggestions will be kept anonymous.

• Please use the form when sending a suggestion. Fill it out and send it to Fyuri.
What are you suggesting as a feature? (Options include Roleplay, Character, Discussion, Artist, BBCode, Prose, Poetry, #forumgame)
Please provide a direct link to your suggestion.
Why do you think your suggestion should be featured in the newsletter?

Would You Rather?
Would you rather be immortal or have nine lives?​
[/div] [class name=root] width: 100%; max-width:900px; margin:auto; [/class] [class name=bannerroot] position:relative; border-top: 15px solid #0184b5; display: flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; position:relative; align-items: stretch; [/class] [class=banner] position:relative; margin-top: -15px; width:125px; height:200px; background: url('https://i.imgur.com/7CIHnKp.png') no-repeat; background-size: auto 200px; -webkit-clip-path: polygon(50% 100%, 100% 70%, 100% 0, 0 0, 0 70%); clip-path: polygon(50% 100%, 100% 70%, 100% 0, 0 0, 0 70%); text-align:center; color:#fff; [/class] [class name=title] flex: 1; position:relative; height: auto; margin-left: 10px; padding-bottom: 60px; box-sizing: border-box; text-align:left; font-family: 'Ramabhadra'; font-size: 57px; line-height: 1.1; letter-spacing:1px; text-transform:uppercase; color:#2D95BC; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #124A7D; display: flex; flex-flow: column nowrap; justify-content: end; [/class] [class name=title maxWidth=1100px] font-size: 35px; [/class] [class name=title maxWidth=400px] font-size: 24px; line-height: 1; [/class] [class name=news] width: 100%; height: auto; display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; justify-content: stretch; margin: 2em 0 2.5em 0; [/class] [class name=badge] width: 100%; height: auto; flex: 2; min-width: 200px; text-align: center; [/class] [class name=announcements] width: 100%; height: auto; flex: 6; min-width: 200px; [/class] [class name=rpotmbox] display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; justify-content: stretch; [/class] [class name=rpotmtitle] width: auto; flex: 1; display: flex; flex-flow: column nowrap; justify-content: center; align-items: start; text-align:left; font-family: 'Ramabhadra'; font-size:35px; letter-spacing:1px; text-transform:uppercase; color:#2D95BC; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #124A7D; padding:5px; box-sizing:border-box; line-height:27px; white-space: pre-line; [/class] [class=box] position:relative; z-index:1; width:100px; height:100px; [/class] [class=rpotm] position:absolute; top:-5px; left:-5px; z-index:1; width:100px; height:100px; background:#0184b5; -webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 100%, 0 0, 100% 0); clip-path: polygon(0 100%, 0 0, 100% 0); [/class] [class name=content] width: auto; height: auto; position: relative; white-space: pre-line; text-align: justify; margin-bottom: 5px; [/class] [class=ava] position:relative; z-index:5; width:96px; height:96px; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; font-size: 0; [/class] [class name=featurebox] display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; justify-content: stretch; width: 100%; height: auto; margin-top: 5px; [/class] [class name=featuretitle] flex: 1; display: flex; flex-flow: column nowrap; justify-content: center; align-items: start; width: auto; height: auto; text-align:left; font-size:25px; font-family: 'Ramabhadra'; letter-spacing:1px; text-transform:uppercase; color:#2D95BC; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #124A7D; padding:5px; box-sizing:border-box; line-height:27px; [/class] [class=ava2] position:relative; width:65px; height:65px; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.45); border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; font-size: 0; [/class]

Immortal. I get the whole “who wants to be immortal” ordeal but the anxiety+shame I would feel if I lost one of my nine lives for a real stupid reason....

Would you rather be immortal or have nine lives?​
If i die of old age w/nine lives, will i arise from the ashes as my current, healthy, ceo-of-beauty self, or will i return as a geriatric crustling to die 8 more times in rapid succession?

Personally, nine lives would be nice. Immortality would be a nasty thing to bear after awhile. So if I ever do feel like my life has run a good course and I'm ready to leave (at an old age, of course), I could easily find ways to use up the remainder of my lives and pass on peacefully.

tbh i would want to live to see how much the world and earth changes, but at the same time... do i rly ?? :')
might be the worst mistake ever and me thinks nine lives is good enough

on that note — what the skfjsdf Luxura Luxura thank you for the mention you lovely human 😭 truly made my day 💕

Definitely immortal for me. I'd want to see the way the whole story of life plays out, whether bad or good. Silent sentinel to watch and help out where possible. Just appeals more to me than nine lives. Besides, going through each life seems draining to me... better to have a one and done imo xD

I think I would choose immortality. There is something intriguing about how the world changes and it would be fascinating to watch it. Would I miss my family and friends, of course I would, but we are inherently social creatures with enough love to go around.
It just would be so fun to also be one of those memes that people assume you are immortal from pictures of history.

Nine lives. A bit dark, but I think it would get to the point where I would think my time is up and I need to move on.

Immortal for sure. You will see how the world changes and if you stick around long enough you might also get a chance to change the world.

Everyone involved in this newsletter is an absolutely bae and I love them all. The coding and interviews are top-notch!

Also immortality because I have a crippling fear of death and I'd rather survive the heat death of the universe because I'm a coward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back