Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: December 2021

Magic
December 2021 Newsletter

HXFYXnj.png

A shimmering butterfly flutters past your vision. It lands onto a dark bulbous object, but the moment its legs graze the surface, a blinding, violet glow brightens from within. Following the momentum of the sudden surge of light, the hue spread across the object, revealing wide, waxy petals. The movement of the vibrant petals almost appeared like a calm dancer, swaying gently side to side. One moment it was a bud, the next, a blooming, glowing flower. All happening from the small touch of a dazzling butterfly.​
It’s unexplainable with the logic we know. It’s other-worldly and different. In some form, that is what magic is viewed as. Throughout the time of human consciousness, the weird, peculiar things that occur and defy logic are explained as impossible or done by magic. There are many perspectives on what magic is and what falls under its definition, but the most forward emotions of amazement, fear, and curiosity always surface with the concept.​
The swift movements of a woman disappearing on a chair once the stage act pulls the sheet off from his prop or passages of young children holding onto instruments that fine tune their innate abilities, we all feel at awe in the unexplainable. But magic can also be experiencing an exciting moment in time. So while there are extremities of magic in literature and movies, we can all feel magic in our lives, even in the smallest of moments.​

DazEClV.png

Announcements

🦈 Official RpNation Merchandise
The merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for the all weather. There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now!

🐸 Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Apply today!

DazEClV.png

Featured Discussion from Nate Of The Living Dead Nate Of The Living Dead
Featured BBCoder from pasta pasta
Featured Character from weldherwings weldherwings
Featured Artist from RoosterRiot RoosterRiot

Featured Writer:
We have a different piece to feature for this Newsletter. For the whole month of October, RPNation hosted a writing contest and here in this Newsletter, we'd like to announce the winner. The winner for the October Writing Contest is Stardust Galaxy Stardust Galaxy ! Congratulations! Below you can find their entry.

Loneliness was all he knew, after all, he was the cold that shriveled the flowers. Was this just his destiny or punishment for all his actions? He always wondered if there was hope for him, but life constantly reminded him that he was just a sad, cold, deserted winter. But then, she came like a spring breeze on a mosaic of colors called autumn.

With a smile brighter than the sunset she warmed the icy storm that was inside him. Was this a miracle or just a dream? Has life ever been so good with him or once again, was he just being a fool hoping that things would get better? With fear just like bare branches quivering in the wind, he approached her, and just as he expected, she was as mesmerizing as the harvest moon.

The shorter days came and the longer nights arrived, but his love only grew fonder, the feeling of hope only becoming bigger. Was this what people called happiness? It was such an unexpected but pleasant feeling that he was terrified that any moment it could slip away from him. Did she feel the same back towards him? Or was he just a fallen leaf in her life? Little did he know that he was a precious presence in her life; but only the autumn wind knew their truth.

One afternoon, as the birds started to move away, freely and with the hope of finding a better place, he got the courage to express his love. And just like the birds, he wanted to be free and say out loud how he really felt. Was he crazy? Maybe. He was just foolish in love. And with a passion brighter than ablaze, he said the words I love you. Finally, she and the wind howling through the trees knew his true feelings. She smiled back gently and said I love you too. And just when the autumn leaves were at the peak of their splendor, their love started.

He gave her his seasons, she gave him hers, a love that grew as a harvest of memories in an orange sky, where both danced just like the fallen leaves on a windy day. A love so wonderful that made the rest jealous of them, but no one was more jealous than Destiny. Was he really fooling with the plan that they have carefully crafted for him? Wasn't he satisfied enough with what they have given to him, that he decided to defy what he knew just because of love?

A riot of flames was Destiny's anger. No one would dare to go against their decisions. She wasn't part of the plan in his life, and just as her unexpected arrival created the commotion inside him, and just as the last petal fell from the flowers, she was gone. He searched for her as the leaves continued falling, bringing them closer to the winter, just like the place where his heart belonged.

But every year he comes back to the place where everything started, while he watches the leaves fall as the memory of what they were, knowing that the seasons will change, the flowers will grow up and the birds will sing again. But, she won't be there anymore. He’d always regarded her as his first autumn leaf, not knowing he would be her last.
DazEClV.png

Roleplay of the Month

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
This idea was an amalgamation of a lot of things. It was partially inspired by some other similarly themed roleplays that I had participated in previously here and on other sites. It was also inspired by the recent surge in billionaires desperately trying to launch themselves off of the planet. I was trying to imagine a world in which those people actually ended up being the solution to the inevitable extinction of the planet. I tried to imagine what it would be like for humanity to rebuild itself from one very small community. Would we fall back into our old patterns of existence? Would we learn anything from the failures of our species if given a second chance? I found these ideas really compelling.​

Considering how many roleplays don't get past the planning stages, what do you think got your roleplay as far as it has?
I think that roleplays that make it off the ground, even for a short flight, are generally characterized by well thought out lore and structure. With New Eden I tried to really think through exactly what kinds of equipment, rations, and resources would be available for the colonists and tried to establish clear goals for the start of the roleplay. I think that when players see that the GM has a clear vision for the roleplay it makes it easier for them to get on board and engage with the story. I've started a number of group roleplays in the past that have had a lot of traction early on because I put in a lot of effort to establish a world that was fleshed out but also accessible. They don't always pan out past the first dozen or so posts, but I'd like to hope that they are enjoyable.​

The other thing that I find helpful is giving people openness to create a character that works for them within the parameters of the roleplay. I try not to dictate too much what players can and can't do as long as they consider the type of roleplay they are entering into. Obviously this roleplay needed to have a grounded feel, so a half vampire princess with a katana for a right arm might not be the best fit, but I try pretty hard not to give hard nos on character submissions unless a character is waaaaay off the mark.​

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
I try to come up with ideas that feel unique in some way, or that blend two genres to create something outside of the norm. Previously I've done a werewolf/western and a elvish Colony caravan. I think that people are excited to take part in something unusual or that offers an opportunity for creative character creation. The other thing that makes all the difference is worldbuilding. I find that people tend to really latch on to roleplays that have well laid out back stories and worlds that feel full and compelling​

How did you start roleplaying? Any embarrassing/funny early roleplay stories?
Ha ha, oh man. I don't remember the names of the sites I used to frequent (most of them are probably defunct at this point) but I used to play on a Harvest Moon themes forum where each player was a member of the town and ran their own business. I had a bookstore/coffee shop where people could congregate and interact. The common theme I saw in almost every roleplay (including my own) was this really sophomoric flirtation between characters. It was basically a bunch of high school aged kids RPing as young adults and everyone was on the hunt for a marriage candidate for their OC. I've blocked most of it out, to be honest. Somethings are best left forgotten.​

How did you discover RpNation and what has your experience been like?
I had a history with other RP forums throughout high school and early college, but after I graduated I didn't have time for quite awhile. By the time my interest was sparked again, most of the sites I used to belong to were either closed, or dead. RPNation was high on the list of active roleplay forums when I started searching for a new home base, and after looking over the types of games and roleplayers on the site, I joined up.​

My experience here has been overwhelmingly positive. I really enjoy how diverse the community is and I have had very little difficulty finding partners that I click with creatively. I definitely plan to continue on roleplaying here for the foreseeable future.​

What is the most interesting roleplay you ever participated in? What made it different?
Long ago, on another site, I participated in Jules Verne inspired roleplay where a ship of English aristocrats was attacked by a Nautilus style steampunk submersible and a few of them were taken captive. While the roleplay never reached a conclusion, the plot concerned us (the aristocrats) banding together to plan how we would escape from the submersible and its crew of anarchist privateers. The whole setup and vision for the roleplay was just so inventive and unlike anything I had ever seen someone try before. I enjoyed it quite a bit.​

What is your most steal-your-breath "Woah" moment from a roleplay?
I had a roleplay with @Melpomene some time ago where my healer character was paired with an elven queen. The caravan we were travelling in together was attacked by a guerilla regiment of dark elves and taken to a secret stronghold in the mountains. It was so much fun to craft that opening sequence as the caravan was attacked and it was great to find a partner that I really clicked with on a creative level.​

Tell me a little bit about your latest roleplay. What's has been your favorite aspect of it?
I have a couple of 1x1 roleplays that are still sort of in their infancy, but they have given me the opportunity to play around with writing character introductions that I have found really enjoyable. In one I am playing an old jaded monster hunter and I'm paired up with a young optimistic mage. The contrast in their personalities is pretty fun to explore. I will likely be putting out some feelers for new 1x1 roleplays soon and possibly even a new group roleplay!​

As a roleplay Game Master and creator~ If you had the choice to adapt your roleplay into a different medium which would it be; comic book, novel series, TV show, movie, or video game? And why?
I think New Eden would be lots of fun as a TV series. The characters the participants created were so interesting and diverse and the memories they carried with them would make such fertile soil for an ensemble sci-fi drama. I'd be really interested to see actors explore the idea of starting humanity afresh. How does the opportunity to do things over for a whole species impact the way you see yourself and the people around you?​

What do you think makes a good roleplay 'fun'? No wrong answers~
Personally, I find roleplays fun when they provide opportunities to stretch my character development muscles. When there is a lot happening for my character to respond to, to take in and consider as they move through the story. Forward momentum is also really important. I find that some roleplays (group roleplays in particular) tend to get really bogged down in characters standing still and internally monologuing for paragraphs at a time and they sort of flounder. There has to be a balance between space to develop characters and movement in the plot.​

How to do maintain and address players who join your Roleplays? Such as if there's a problem with feeling left out, or newer players mixing with more experienced players, etc.?
To be honest, I have never had a roleplay get far enough for personality conflict to become a major issue, but I think I would handle it by reaching out to the people concerned and talking through it with them. I like people to have a good time, so I try to be as inclusive as I can, within reason. I figure the best way to create a welcoming environment is to set the tone with how I approach everyone.​

Have any roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
I think roleplay benefits from a lot of the same rules as improv comedy. Always say "yes, and...". Sometimes as writers we can get really precious about or characters and story ideas and it becomes easy for us to stifle roleplay partners by trying to make them adhere to our preconceived vision. Some of my best roleplay experiences have been those in which I let go and went along with the flow of the story and my partners' posts.​

Do you secretly like any unpopular roleplay ideas? Such as Mary/Gary Sues if used in a certain way?
Sometimes short posts are more appropriate than long posts, ha ha. If I were reading a book where every line of dialogue was accompanied by two paragraphs of description and internal monologuing I would very quickly be *not* reading that book anymore. RP is not exactly the same as a novel, but some games can benefit from picking up the pacing.​

What is your favorite fictional creature, and why?
I'm reading The Sillmarillion right now and I'm just enjoying the heck out of the elves. I think they have been made so tropey and one note over the years, but I'm so fascinated with what a culture of never dying, ever young, being would be like.​

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Anything you can share?
I don't have any specific plans at the moment, but you never know when inspiration will strike.​

DazEClV.png

Member of the Month

What was your first roleplay experience? What made it fun?
I started roleplaying on a Pokemon fansite when I was eleven or so. I'd never hear of roleplay before, but I saw some other people doing it, thought it looked fun, and pretty much immediately tried to jump into GMing (and failed spectacularly). The concept of being able to bring my own take of my favorite franchise and share it with others drew me in.​

What led to you discovering RPN?
To be honest, I don't remember. When I was a teenager I roleplayed on a website that I think was RPN, but eventually I fell out of roleplaying and left. Years later I decided to start roleplaying again and tried to find the same site I'd been on before, and as best I can remember RPN was the site.​

Do you have any favorite kinds of RPs? Plots/Genres/Styles?
I love all kinds of fantasy! High fantasy, dark fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi with fantasy elements. Really anything with a dragon in it. I also like post-apocalptic and Pokemon RPs.​

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I play a lot of video games and Dungeons and Dragons and watch Youtube. I've also been on a crossword puzzle fix lately.​

Are you excited about any books, shows, or other related elements of media? What are they?
I don't watch a lot of TV or read a lot of books, but I did see the first episode of League of Legends: Arcane and loved it! Also excited to read the Fizban's Treasury of Dragons D&D supplement. Games-wise, I'm looking forward to Pokemon Legends: Arceus and Breath of the Wild 2.​

What is your favorite animal? Why?
The American Alligator. I love reptiles in general, but alligators are practically living dinosaurs. Besides, they're apex predators that like back scratches and I find that adorable.​

What is your favorite food? Drink?
I tried boudin balls in Louisiana (basically a deep-fried ball of sausage, rice, spices, and sometimes cheese) and it was easily the best thing I've ever eaten. As far as drinks, I love cherry limeade.​

What is your favorite part of Rpnation?
I love the community! I can chat and make friends with people from all over the world and all walks of life.​

When you get onto RPN on any given day, what do you generally like to do?
Most days I start by checking out the Random Question of the Day and any other threads I follow that have new posts. Then I work on my reply to the RP I'm in if it's my turn to post. Sometimes I'll lurk through the interest checks and try to convince myself I have time for another RP.​

If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that one of them had to be a selfless wish, what would they be?
It may be a bit clichè, but probably 1) Solve world hunger, 2) World peace, and 3) That I would always know right thing to do in every situation.​

If you could play every single instrument basically or play one instrument completely flawlessly, what would you choose ? If the latter, what instrument?
I'd like to be able to flawlessly play the guitar.​

Oh no! You accidentally fell out of reality, luckily for you RPN Shark has given you a chance to live in another world, where would it be?
The Pokemon universe, specifically Unova. The Star Trek universe would also be cool. I haven't seen a lot of Star Trek, but it seems like a nicer place to live than most fictional worlds as long as you avoid wherever the Enterprise happens to be.​

If you had to make a character based on your favorite color, what would it be? What kind of character would you make?
Hmm, my favorite color is really bright, forresty green, so probably a druid of some sort. They'd be young with themes of optimism and rebirth, since that color's most prevalent in spring.​

Would you rather be a background character in a music video that's extremely well known or be the main character in a movie no one has heard of?
I'd rather be the main character in a movie. It just sounds like a lot more fun.​

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
Nothing at the moment.​

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Don't get so caught up in trying to be a "good" writer that it sucks all the joy out of writing or turns it into a chore. That'll just lead to burnout. The point is to have fun.​

DazEClV.png

Let’s show off some of your musical tastes in the newsletter next month! You can also see what has been recommended in the past. Submit your music here!

mustard.png

December Donation Badge by @peritwinkle
"What's more magical than mustard?"

Congratulations to all those involved!
We're on fast approach of the last month of 2021. Stay safe and have a wonderful day/night, everyone!

NpLH.gif
An absolutely huge congratulations to all of the featured members in our December Newsletter!
It's been wonderful reading all of your threads and seeing such creativity blossom!​

Can you lovelies believe it? It's the newsletter last one before the new year? Oh my word!
Happy holidays to everyone and hope you lovelies have an amazing one!

P.S. Don't forget to check out our Character Showcase and Music Recommendation submission threads! Who knows, maybe your character will be featured in our next newsletter and/or music suggestion!

Also, all my love to the Newsletter team and Staff ♡

This newsletter was gorgeous, congrats to everyone honored and also props to the author of the newsletter and whoever designed it!

Oh wow, I'm a little late but thank y'all. I guess I'll post more art then haha
Man I didn't expect to see this- lol the newsletter is wonderful, if only I'd got my computer fixed sooner to see it on time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back