Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: August 2021

August 2021 NEWSLETTER
HXFYXnj.png

The chime of the doorbell rings a short jingle as a patron enters the building. A strong scent stimulates their olfactory senses as they close their eyes to savor the fragrance. It’s a pungent smell, a flowery, smoky, nutty, and herby aroma. They’re all different yet stem from the same source, a coffee bean, just like the environment of a coffee shop.

The patron opens their eyes and surveys their surroundings as they stand in the queue line for the register. Couples meeting for the first time, last minute dates, groups of friends hanging out, professionals relishing a break from work, lone individuals focused on their own personal spaces of reading, studying, writing, etc. There were many stories, or worlds, all collected in this space of baristas steaming milk, grinding coffee beans, blending ice, and so on and so forth, preparing the simple items of drinks for people to enjoy.

There was no doubt in the patron’s mind that no matter how the establishment of a coffee shop appeared from quirky to simple to mysterious, a certain air lingered in all of them. It was a comfortable atmosphere for genuine feelings to be expressed between individuals in their own interactions. The simple act of conversing over drinks houses the time for people to come closer or a safe space for those individuals remaining in their own bubble for work or study.

“Good morning, what would you like to order?” Without even noticing, the patron had reached the front of the line. “Just a cup of black coffee please.”

What type of drink do you all like to order at a coffee shop, perhaps black coffee like our patron above or maybe tea? We’ve all seen them at least once whether it’s in photos, movies, TV shows, or in our everyday lives. Coffee shops. The first recording of an establishment resembling a coffee shop dates back to 1475 in Constantinople. Local to chain coffee shops, there’s a certain charm to them so much so that it has become a solid theme for many things just like for our newsletter this month.

Housekeeping Notes

🦈 Official RpNation Merchandise
The merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for the warmer weather. There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now!

🐸 Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Submit your application today!

Music for the Soul

Let’s show off some of your musical tastes in the newsletter next month! You can also see what has been recommended in the past. Submit your music here!

@lunarflowers - Walked into the Coffee Shop

Exercise your creative skills with each month's character prompt and submit them to our site-wide showcase here.

Why not? I feel like being a bit silly here.

a275d8d34d2b5e2615d51c880479f2af.jpg

Name | Beagan Pebbles—"Bea" for short

Personality | Why don't you come and find out?

Contrary to her small size, Beagan has a big personality. She always speaks point-blank. Strumming gravitas words from the heart, she won't hesitate to call someone out on their dishonesty. She particularly speaks out against those who are dishonest to themselves. In fact, it is said that "the Coffee Faerie" only makes her appearance known to the work-worn, societal-trodden, long-faced people of this world. Over the years, she has cheer-led hundreds of shattered (or darn-right heartbroken) mortals out the door, reminding them of their true strength. When you sink into that oozy armchair, you think you're retiring for a hazelnut triple-shot latte, guilt-muffin, and the news. Oh... You have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

Beagan, almost mother-like, coaches from a place of love. Poised on the edge of your cup, she has been known to wave her hands around and shout from time to time, but only you can hear her—That's a good thing, right? If you try to leave to go to the bathroom or something, be forewarned that there is nothing stopping her from grabbing a fistful of your blouse's collar. She's going to make you break down your inhibitions, get a good cry out, and then remind you that you are made of stardust. Your value does not come from your mother, your boss, your friend, or your lover. Your worth is something you're inherently born with. It lives within you and speaks through you. Be nice to yourself. Beat your self-doubt with a stick. If she were talking to you now, those are the kinds of things that Beagan would remind you to do. Her conviction is infectious.

Unsurprisingly, Beagan has a sweet-tooth. She has, after all, resided in coffee houses for thousands of years or so. Well, since the 1500s, anyways. She has kept up with the trends for so long that she now sports a messy bun and does yoga. You may be surprised to know that her favorite drink is no longer coffee with milk. That was so last century. Her newfound obsession is the matcha latte. If you don't order one, she will slightly look down upon you for it. If you do order one, she will likely drink it all before you can say, "Pixie dust!"

Background |

Bea originated from the first pressed coffee bean, as if magic itself was squeezed and released from that original, sacred pod. When they would brew a cuppa, she would accompany weary natives and adventurers on their humanly existential dilemmas, occasionally pointing them in the right direction to absolve them of their personal sufferings. Pointing them inwards and reminding them that peace begins in the self always rung true to Bea and her followers.

Over many moons of using her magical presence in this way, she studied among earth's greatest philosophers, and eventually found herself in our modern, fast-paced western society. Though much different on the outside than the times of old, she has discovered that our worldly problems are not new. They have existed since the dawn of conscious human thought.

She serves now as an objective mediator, mingling with the people of our world in coffee shops, shouting at them new revelations, telling them to get over that girl, to grow up and stop sulking over Timmy's promotionor whatever it is that's troubling them these days. Sometimes, the slew of first-world problems really causes her eyes to roll, as she recalls the famines, injustices, and ruthless killings that plague Syria, Yemen, Gaza, Columbia, or any other combination of countries. "$4.50 feeds a man and his child for a month in Ghana," she would say, "That's roughly the price of your coffee. And you're still saying you don't have enough?" She would always scoff at people in this way, tearing them down before slipping into a deep heart-to-heart. Depending on the human's reaction to this, she would possibly remove her slipper in the process and possibly ready it to throw at them depending on how much gloomy resistance she was met with.

After years of steering strays back on track, Beagan had been affectionately christened, "the Coffee Faerie." That is the name that customers know her by today.

"The only way to feel content as a human being is to appreciate the people you do have, the beauty you do possess, and the hardships you have fought. You are made of infinite stardust, lunar particles, and gosh-darn recycled energy. If you feel like you're not cut out for this, it's because you told yourself that. Don't give me that lip. Take your power back. Nobody else can do it for you." she would insist with a resolute point of her finger. "Now show me your best sirsasana!"

Themesong | "Dancing Barefoot" by Fia

D DisneyGirl ― Member of the Month
What was your first roleplay experience? What made it fun?
So growing up I played this Disney MMO game that had a very large community and there were a few fan forums. They had roleplaying communities filled with preppy boarding school and cruise ship RPs and I fell in love. The first memorable one that comes to mind was a group roleplay I created. It was about these famous kids on a TV show and all the drama that happens “behind the scenes”. What made it fun was the friends I made. I found my people and I got to create something they were excited to be a part of.

What led to you discovering RPN?
I got ghosted, lol. Getting ghosted is never fun, but in this case, it changed my life for the better. For years, I had my little circle of RP buddies but we got busy with our own lives and then the site we’d all met on shut down and we lost contact. One girl I roleplayed with got a hold of me and we were roleplay partners for a few years. And then she went on to college and I never heard from her again. So one day I decided to type the words “roleplay site” into Google. I just wanted to find a new roleplay partner, but I ended up finding so much more! I made some of my best friends on here and found a community that felt like home.

Do you have any favorite kinds of RPs? Plots/Genres/Styles? Anything
I’m a slice of life gal. Modern is my favorite and I also adore historical (anywhere between 1800s-1950s). Romance is my favorite thing above all, so as long as you give me a swoon-worthy romantic storyline with great characters to get invested in—especially a large cast of characters—then I’m stoked, lol.

Favorite hobbies/interests outside RP? Any of which might overlap with RP in some way?
Reading and writing. That’s why I love roleplaying so much. It combines my two favorite things into one. I started writing fiction because of roleplaying. When I first joined RPN, I had been taking writing classes and wrote short stories but never thought I was good enough to write novels. Then after a few years here, I thought, “Hey, if I can crank out 2k words at 3am for a roleplay I love, then I can do that for a story I love!”

Besides that, I really just like anything that allows me to relax. Staying in and binge-watching, listening to music and podcasts, doing something creative or being outdoors in nature. This one might be obvious, but I’m also obsessed with all things Disney, lol. I love going to the parks and hope to visit all of them someday!

When you get onto RPN on any given day, what do you generally like to do?
I like to socialize so you can usually find me in the profile posts or discussion threads. Reading interest checks is so much fun, too, especially 1x1 search threads. Anything where I get to meet new people and make new friends. RPN is hands down the kindest and most welcoming online community I’ve known, so I simply just love logging on and hanging out with everybody.

What shows, games, movies, books, etc do you enjoy? Do they ever tie into RP?

Romance is my favorite genre and I love it in any medium, though I must say I enjoy romance novels the best. I absolutely adore the tropes. I get really invested in fictional couples as well lol and so I use them and their stories as RP inspiration. Jo and Professor Fritz from Little Women, Katniss and Peeta from the Hunger Games and Dimitri and Anastasia from Anastasia are just a few of my many favorite ships from some of my favorite tales. And as a Disney movie enthusiast, I find it so cool that I get to incorporate some Disney magic into my roleplaying, too, because I love doing Disney inspired roleplays.

If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that one of them had to be a selfless wish, what would they be?
1. To have a family of my own. One of my dreams is to get married and have children someday.

2. To become a best selling novelist. (Lol, a girl can dream, can’t she?)

3. For my final wish, I wish everyone would know—and believe—how truly loved and precious they are.

Oh no, you accidently fell out of reality, luckily for you the RPN Shark has given you a chance to live in another world, what would it be?
The first thing that came to mind was how fun it would be to be a toy in the Toy Story universe, so let’s go with that 😂 I mean, who wouldn’t want to be friends with Buzz Lightyear??

If you had to make a character based on your favorite color, what would it be? What kind of character would you make?
Baby blue is my favorite color and that makes me think of the ocean and sadness, sooo....a sad mermaid? LOL.

Is there anything you're working on at the moment in relation to RPN? Any possible future plans?
You know, I’ve been thinking of starting another group roleplay. It’s been a while, but I love the idea of doing a roleplay centered on romance with some fun and creative people! Maybe even something historical or Disney inspired? We’ll see, lol. Other than that, I hope to do more one on ones and make more friends!

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Be thankful, even and especially when going through hard times. Life will always give you things to worry about and struggles to overcome, but being thankful will allow you to find happiness where you are.

@MarieK ― Roleplay of the Month
What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
The inspiration behind A Divided Kingdom came from two different book series: Kingfountian series by Jeff Wheeler and The Dark Artifices series by Cassandra Clare.

What has made your roleplay successful?
What has made the roleplay successful is the players. They've been amazing to work with and have really brought my idea to life through their creativity and characters. I can't brag on them enough.

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
What my trick is for garnering interest, if you can even call it that, is writing up imagery in my introduction that puts an itch in my reader's spine that makes them want to respon

How did you start roleplaying?
I'm showing my age a bit by saying I started on myyearbook before the site did away with open forums. I had an account on the site and one day I noticed people were role-playing and I was hooked from then on.

How did you discover RpNation?
I discovered this site by looking up new role-playing sites through Google. It's bigger than any site I'm used it and so I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did.

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out most?
The most unique roleplay I've done was about a family who had dragon souls. The thing that stood out to me the most was its longevity. It lasted nearly ten years.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
My fondest memory was making friends and connections. I used writing as an outlet and instead of it merely being a hobby, I gained a group of friends that helped me survive life and school.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
One tip would be to read- a lot. I've become a better writer just by doing that. Another would be grammar. I'm always drawn to people who aren't necessarily perfect, but show that they are considerate by using basic grammar and punctuation.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?
My biggest pet peeve is bullying or belittling of others. There's a lot I can let slide, but not that.

What is your favorite animal, and why?
My favorite animal is a cat because of how they like to curl up on your lap.

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?
I actually just started up a pirate roleplay where my character takes over the ship and sets off with her crew to find a artifact of legend. Aside from that, I don't have any plans for any more roleplays just yet.

coffeeattemptaug2021-2.png

Month Donation badge by @Fyuri

How are we doing? Leave the newsletter your feedback!

Congratulations! These are all well deserved features. Please do not forget to check out the public submission threads!

Edit: How could I forget? A huge thank you to my partners in crime, Life. Life. , deer deer , and TerrorKitty TerrorKitty for putting in lots of hard work to make this newsletter possible.

I've never been on a roleplay site that does newsletters. That is awesome how you showcase your member's creations. I feel like this could be a real home for me. Congrats to all the members mentioned!

I've never been on a roleplay site that does newsletters. That is awesome how you showcase your member's creations. I feel like this could be a real home for me. Congrats to all the members mentioned!
RPN probably has the best mods I've ever seen for an RP site. They've done some real black magic whenever the site goes down, plus they're very active.

Quite a lineup we've got.
Congratz to all the featured faces this day. May y'all have a blessed day/night!

Quite something to look forward to, eh? Welcome aboard RPN! May you have a wonderful stay. :>

Congratulations to all of our wonderful features! You lovelies absolutely deserve it!

P.S Calling out our RPN crew!
We’d love to see your creativity come to life! Our character prompt this time is “nature inspired”, click here: Character Theory - RpNation Character Showcase - Public Submissions to show your lovely muse!

And lastly, let’s continue making music by creating our RPNation playlist! Share your favorite songs here: Music - RpNation Song Recommendations - Public Submissions !

Happy writing and creating lovelies! Cheers!

i just joined also and congrats to everyone

Congrats to everyone on the newsletter!
You also Shackleford.

Congratulations! These are all well deserved features. Please do not forget to check out the public submission threads!

Edit: How could I forget? A huge thank you to my partners in crime, Life. Life. , deer deer , and TerrorKitty TerrorKitty for putting in lots of hard work to make this newsletter possible.
Wow I'm excited for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back