Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: April 2022

Newsletter 202
April / Rai
n
Rain
Dark clouds and wind. Those words alone immediately associate in our minds to a familiar weather occurrence, rain. It is a force that can aid or harm us, from light showers that romanticizes environments to tsunamis that tears apart lives, there is no doubt rain plays an important part in the world. Even an absence of rain has an influence of various organisms thriving in environments that see little to no rain. But thinking back to the idea of rain, scientifically, it is the precipitation of collected water in the sky that was formed together from evaporated water. However, rain, in literature, holds a plethora of meanings or it can affect the mood of a setting.

A shower of rain drenching the clothes on the back of a young boy standing on the sidewalk. Perhaps this resembles an internal sadness plaguing the boy’s heart from the loss of a loved one or the refreshment of a new chapter in life. Falling droplets of water from the sky. It is a simple action being done but proves to be a great force in numbers. One day of rain can help provide enough water for natural vegetation but one week of constant rain can create floods that cause destruction.

Two sides of the same coin, rain itself is a wondrous element. It can be beautiful, especially under sunlight and when certain conditions are met, it can also reveal a beautiful rainbow. Rain can also be met under thunderstorms where forces of lightning break through clouds with strong, roaring thunder following. Complete opposite scenes yet both can bring a certain sense of awe. It is a natural occurrence that we cannot stop. All we can do is experience or avoid it.
Site Announcements
Official RpNation Merchandise
We heard you! Our merchandise store offers t-shirts perfect for all weather! There are multiple styles to choose from. Shop now! and check all we have in store!
Helper Application Form
RpNation's Helper team is looking for more dedicated people to aid with the creation of site events and the newsletter. Apply today!
Badges Resolution Change
The resolution of the badges have been increased to upgrade its overall quality.
Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying? Was it anything like what you do now?
Besides not being wholly aware of what "was it anything like what you do now[...]" is supposed to mean, I started writing, as a hobby, when I was eight. The story might be amusing to some, and my stumbling into roleplaying happened without inherent intention. That being said, I was always a fan of roleplaying games. Perhaps, technically, the tale begins even earlier, as I started to learn and write english through World of Warcraft, and I and a former friend explored certain regions and made up stories as we went. Duskwood, for those in the know, is a place with many of my memories, and perhaps shaped all of my default preferences for many years to come.

That aside, my awareness of my interest in writing began as I watched anime. Back in the day, it was common to have instant messaging chatboards on most of these sites, and there was one for my preferential streaming location. Out of the blue, someone requested me to partake in a tale. It was not a good tale, and I was not a very good writer, but it birthed something in me. And I stuck to it, for a long time. Until today, in fact. This place was Chatango, and it is not a very good place, but I frequented it for years. Messaged random people, and scrolled by countless others who would no doubt breed nightmares in the minds of mortal men. I did not care for it, but I was a very slow individual until late in life. One could even say I was not aware of what I was surrounded by on Chatango. After all, it is not a very good place.

But after my frequency there, deluded by both good and bad events, I acclimated to writing. But was no excellent linguist, and spoke in broken english and ever-fluent streetspeak. Unaware of where to vacate for, Chatango no longer being the place it was over the passing of the years, I stumbled upon forums, and have stayed there ever since. The quickness of instant messaging is of no interest to me, and merely muddies an otherwise thought-provoking medium. And that is the biggest difference between now, and then: the quickness. There was more patience in the world before, especially writing. Though, writing little does not necessitate a need for waiting.

Obviously, what is popular has always been in fluctuation. Anime have come and gone, as have series, and superheroes; it is natural for interests in the gestalt of roleplaying to shift over time.
How did you discover RpNation?
I was here before the merger, though by different name, and different identity. I would prefer not to talk about it, but for those who read, it may as well be said that I was always here in some shape, and some form.
What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I read, and I play the occasional game. Less hobby and more time-sink, I have always done it, so I continue to do so. Additionally, I make the occasional plastic model, and paint with weary hands which cease not in their shaking. It is no easy task, but it is not a task which cannot be done either. Elsewise I would not do it. There are many small things I do, which I could mention, but these are the only fascinating ones, or otherwise 'normal.' I am, perhaps, a strange person. And, for the general audience, I will remain enigmatic so much as I am capable. It is not for my own sake, however.

What takes most of my time, however, is undeniably training. It is my saviour, and my only true companion. I went without it for a long time, however once I fell into it again, I did not let it go. Every minute day I do something, no matter the tedium or the displeasure. No matter my engagements, nor relationships. It is all secondary to training. Why this is the case, I can truly not say. Perhaps, it merely fits with how I was born. Or, it is manic and uncontrollable, an addictive urge. Who's to say. It will be difficult growing older, incapable of pushing as hard as I had prior. After all, I do as well as I can to go further, jump higher, and overcome more with every thing I do. Started small, now, it has become quite much. Had I the ability to dislike it, I no doubt would.
Are you excited about or looking forward to anything?
I am not, no. Excitement does not grip me, as I am a mellow person with set behavioural stimuli. External forces do not rub this guard, and I move as I think I should. This having been said, I find use for series, games, and whatever else, in that viewing them, or experiencing them, takes time and breeds new thoughts. In that sense, I suppose I am 'excited' for what Elden Ring's future will be.

Most of my past, as well, was born and bred from Tolkien. His books formed my perception of fiction, allowed me to conceptualize my own ideas with proper basis, and no doubt played a role in my will to write as I grew older. Needless to say, the series inspired by his work which is soon to air on Amazon, is something I will be watching. I expect it to become the new Game of Thrones, depending of course on whether they can make it good or not.
What is your favorite kind of weather phenomenon?
Though immense phenomena exist, such as ball lightning, the rarest of all bolts, all the way to the northern lights, of whom I am rather familiar. However, from all these, I pick a middling rain. Though I would not prefer walking in it, I do it nonetheless. Weather, wind, or sun do not deter me. I rarely get sick, but nonetheless submit before the shivering of the cold. Physiological reactions are, quite frankly, rather uncontrollable. But, perhaps with will, it can be managed.

I prefer rain, because I am audiosensitive. And as tedium rules me, and the minutiae roil me in my thoughts, stimulus is required. I spoke before that my thoughts rule me, and that whilst I do not submit before stimulae, I utilize them nonetheless in shaking my thoughts and staving others away. Walking, running, and exercising are deviously tedious, and therefore I require controllable noise. Rain, whilst uncontrollable, solves this without the need of electrical applications. Each falling droplet is an entity upon itself, and it's character unique. From the seas they came, and to the seas they will return through the cycles of the earth. But, as they fall upon my helpless shoulders, and shower upon my head, I am relieved of the noise within me, and focus upon the noise without. Quite simply, it is soothing. Though, I would not say I like it, I nonetheless have a doctrinal obligation to 'enjoy' it.

One would wonder then, why only prefer rain when there's so much which produces noise. The answer is simple, and uncomplicated. There are frequencies to any noise, and those which quake, and those which trumpet, are chaotic, and rhythmless. Thunder is as uncontrollable as they come, and lightning is mortal. Wind can destroy, but rain is the perfect mixture of hindrance and advantage. I would be remiss to forgo mentioning it's potential for destruction is no less than the others, if not surpassing it, as it deals in the liquid death which can submerge cities. But, that has not happened to me. So I ignore it.
What are your favorite aesthetics/themes/genres?
I am not old, but I appear it before questions such as these. Though I write strange, and speak stranger nowadays, I am quite culturally inexperienced. What is 80s supposed to look like? And why is it within the same categorization as nature, 8-bit, and analog. Well, I suppose that is unimportant, and unnecessary for me to provide my answer. Whilst I have no favourite, the concept as dead to me as dead can be, I have default preferences. A carry-over from the past, consisting of things I did, and enjoyed, before I could not any longer. The tale of that is unimportant, so I will disregard elaborating.

I am a 'fan' of the End of the World. Tales which speak of the end, and show the last flickers of a dying and doomed people, nation, or person, as they stave off the inevitable. Doom, as a concept, and hope, as an idea, are of great prevalence within any story I choose to tell. Where this came from, I cannot say. Perhaps it was merely the result of the life I've lived, or perhaps it was the aggregate sum of all that I chose to watch, read, and experience. Having said so, I suppose the 'End of the World' is not much of an aesthetic, beyond the flame, the ember, and the dead.

As such, my 'favourite' aesthetic is high-medieval with middle-gothic architecture, disregarding gunpowder.
What are your favorite types of characters, to roleplay or just in general?
I have none. I can do anything, and have neither preference nor defaults upon which to rely. Each character I fashion are a creation wholly their own, and will never be remade, though I may utilize names more than once. I do not partake in fandoms, though I would begrudgingly were those of which I have sought for years to appear, so no canonical characters. "OCs" are the only thing I make, and each is for each individual thing I join. It is the old way, and the way which I was bred.

I observe the hole within a cast, and fill it. A chameleon, so to speak. There is nothing easier to understand, and as such, there is no preference for which I seek. Though I no doubt have my quirks for character-building, I am not aware of them, so my word is as fallible as an author critiquing their own work, however, I do believe it. I have no draw towards one type or the other, and archetypes I generally 'dislike,' I can make just as easily were it to be needed.

It is the case, however, that most archetypes, over most roleplays, are similar. So which archetype I end up with tends towards similarity as well.
What is your favorite thing about Rpnation?
The number of people. Mathematically, were I to wait long enough, something to partake in will appear, and that is what I 'like' most about RPN. Though it has happened that I must wait for years, or other times less, I have commonly frequented RPN ever since I came. And have developed as a writer, mostly, within it. I have history here. Though I greatly dislike some of it, and hold others close to my chest, I do so for their symbolic worth. I have been here for long, and I will be here so long as it will remain, because I have been here for long.
When you get onto RPN on any given day, what's your general routine?
I respond to any notifcations I might have, whether that be in the shape of actual written response, or through merely acknowledging them through reading. I make sure to, always, have it accessible, RPN that is, so that in the event I receive any other notifications, I can repeat the aforementioned process as is deemed necessary. I sometimes prolong the wait, intentionally, before responding to something, for social effect. Making people wait can be, in certain instances, quite beneficial. However, if there is no need for this, as deemed by my own analysis, then I simply proceed to respond to it hastefully. I know what I need to write, before I write it, so figuring out how to write something is of no issue. It is a split-second awareness. A conceptual manifestation at the inception of the awareness of what needs to be addressed.

That being said, after this, I peruse the interest checks. Though I never join more than one roleplay at a time, as I believe that I owe something I join my undivided attention, at least on here, it is nonetheless habitual, and ritualistic, at this point in time. I've done it for a long time, so I must continue to do it. As is usually the case, nothing grips me either way. Most constructs which people produce are not of my preferences, though doubtlessly they are to the enjoyment of countless others. I can wait, so there are no problems. Not that I need to join anything as of this current moment.

I partake in discussions, more so general, and personal, rather than the others, to pass the time when I cannot accomplish something else. And that is the general schedule, and order of importance of any routine I have.
Do you have any favorite quotes?
I have no favourite quotes, but I have words rendered which I have historical obligation to appreciate, and reflect upon. Though they do not come from any books, shows, games, or any other medium, but from people with which I have had experience with during the age which came before this one. They are personal, and though I have shown it upon my signature previously, I do not any longer. For those who have seen it, and remember it, then they know it. For those who don't, I will not entertain in writing it. Therefore, I will instead refer to a common statement with which I oft return to:

Rise above, go beyond.
If you could become instantly speak any language what would it be and why?
Chinese. It is the only real logical answer, and response, to a world growing, and becoming increasingly involved with a power which yet rises from the eastern reaches farthest away from us. The dragon has risen, once again, and whether it is moral or not, is pointless, before the utilization of language. Not all who speak the words of another people, are so different from us. And, in order to extract information, one must acknowledge that not all sources can be found within the bounds of one language. I learned English out of simple happenstance, it was easy, and the process simple. To understand a whole other logic, for a whole other system of language, and more importantly, text, will not be so simple. Especially in a system utilizing the inherent advantages of hieroglyphic scripture, that being, of course, the ability to decypher depth from simplicity.

Perfect comprehension of Chinese, would allow me the ability to comprehend this script simpler, and with greater ease. It would, also, stand as the board from whence I could jump into the metaphorical sea which is the rest of the eastern languages, and better comprehend their foundations from whence their cultures were built, and the thoughts which build your comprehension of thought, and of philosophy. Doing so, would make me more knowledgable, and that is all the use I can see from it. Communicating with people is no dire need from my consciousness, though doubtlessly useful.

The comprehension of as many languages as can be accomplished, is beneficial. It, also, ensures lesser risk of dementia, a deep fear I've endured since birth. Now, that fear is doctrinal, no longer a conscious worry, but something which formed the process through which I think. I suppose, all of this may be nonsensical to others.
If you were granted 3 wishes under the conditions that two of them had to be for other people what would they be?
Simple. I wish for my family to receive material riches, to become able to support their lives, and any dreams, they might have.
Then, I will wish for a deep-seated evil, within the mind of one close to me, to vanish, and the cloud which shrouds their view of the world to therefore be lifted.
Lastly, for myself, I wish the ceasure of the emptiness, and the ability to appreciate things, and be sad, angry, or joyed, as opposed to the perversion of perspective which I presently inhabit. To have the capacity to dedicate my being towards something I was meant to do.
If you had to choose a fictional world to be reincarnated into what would you choose?
Deposit me within the Mountains of Madness, and I will be sated. The reason for which I will remain unsaid, and in no way am I some eldritch scholar, or hopeful hero. For those who know me, I would assume the reason is simple, and for those who don't, allow me to instead speak a white lie: that the cosmic tapestry of such a world, the very machinations of the particulates which inhabit it, are home to an uncomfortable truth which I would like to at first hand experience.
How would you create peace between two fictional ancient armies on the battlefield?
There are many ways, the simplest of which would be to follow the path of the cloak and the dagger. To crouch behind the endless tests, and seem right in the place one occupies amongst the soldiery. Be confident, as they approach, as if one belongs there, and many things can be gleamed. From this position, one would be able to either assasinate the commanding elements, making the army incapable of victory, ensuring the likelihood of their battling is subdued, and largely nullified, or to sow discord, incite a revolt, to ensure the army is incapable of battling, because it's soldiers refuse to. One does not need to sow shadows, and lies, amongst the both of them. It is unrealistic for one army to be aware of the happenings of another, if it has no spies. And therefore, that is what one must first dislodge, the opposing army's ability to be informed.

One can do this with as little, or as much bloodshed as one feels personally inclined. But, the truth is, that I am not inclined to stop these armies. There are truths at play, you see, that I am not aware of. Politics beyond my knowing, and intentions beyond my awareness. WIth incomplete knowledge of an event, it is impossible to adequately account for the ideal manner in which one ought to stop it, and therefore, I am incapable. As I am, doctrinally, unwilling to badly affect the lives of someone else personally. What may, or may not occur indirectly, is beyond my ability to enforce.

Therefore, I believe, that I would fail. Perhaps be imprisoned, clearly out of place as I am.
RPN's Shark-Chan has decided to bestow upon you a boon; Any single work of literature, be it a play or a book of your choosing, what would you ask for? Why?
I am of the scholastic sort, I find great value in learning, and finding out what is, or isn't. The more I can know, the more I can use it to form understanding of a greater whole, which truly should be the fate one ought to pursue. Whether in one shape, or another, I choose to see it as comprehension of the mortal condition. What makes people, people, and therefore what binds people, and what causes the results in which lead to all manner of cascades and unforeseen developments.

I yearn for a greater thing, something distinctly spiritual, though equally distinctly real. I am not bound by fictitious beliefs of things beyond the mortal plain, but that is because I perceive the world as I find myself in it. Were I capable of introducing the imbued power of certain books into this world, and thus causing a dimensional merger, and subsequent existential melding, I would. Through the most heinous of all books, written by the mad arab themself. Though I am no eldritch scholar, I would certainly not disapprove of submitting before a power which did exist, and I could actively defend.

I care not for how I look, so what is the worth behind a lost arm, or a second head. I do not care why people change clothes, so this is no different. Though I doubt I would find myself the herald, or even servant to one of the boundless ones, though what reason is there in that. In truth, I would introduce the book solely so that I may experience something one never could have. Whether that ends in mortal ceasure, or the elevation towards something greater, it will be no obstacle.
Is there someone on RPN you think is really cool?
There is, yes.
If you could have a life-long loyal animal companion what would it be?
I have no inherent need for companionship, and neither do I have any preferences in animals. Therefore, I would prefer an indestructible car. Far more practical, and it does not demand excessive expenditures from pockets when they run shallowest. Though it does not satisfy most's need for an actual companionship, I do not need it.
Would you rather take a rocket to the international space station or to the moon? Why?
I would prefer to take a rocket to anywhere beyond the shallowest cosmic shoals of inconsequential humanity, and go further. Beyond the established, to be a part of something new. Something meaningful, to be remembered for. Whether the moon, whether the orbit of Earth, I do not really care so long as it is in the pursuit of extending the boundaries of what humanity considers as it's own 'waters.' Though divided on land, there are not yet borders amidst the heavens, though no doubt there soon will be. Nonetheless, it means that one can dream, for now, at least. I recommend we all are capable of acknowledging the moment for the boundlessness it is.
Any RpNation projects you're in/working on, or simply like that you would want to share?
I have five hibernating ideas for whom I am the sole creator, one of which I have rapidly revealed, before erasing any prospects it could have had with the caste of individuals who chose to join. Considering that I am, for my on work, compulsively selective nowadays, there are grave doubts that they will ever show themselves, but they are developed, and I believe, quite decent, were they to.

One is inspired by a roleplay hosted by sorrow made you, though they had once gone by a different name, which I had partaken in but briefly. Though I doubt I wrote much beyond the character for it, I had recently been assailed by it's potential as I found myself lost in thought during twilight hours. Though what I have made is no doubt incomparable to what they had, following whole different concepts and themes, I would not have been able to actualize it were it not for their producing their work many years ago.
What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
I wear a mirrored mask.
Roleplay of the Month
What are some of the things that inspired you to create ❛ Isekai Hell ❜?
I remembered video game and anime art from the 90's. They had a very romanticized version of medieval fantasy adventurer that appealed to me. The aesthetics of the art and concept designs were cool too. Anime like Record of Lodoss War and Berserk or video games like Legend of Zelda and Pokemon were some examples. It all made me imagine what it would be like to go on adventures in fantasy worlds like those.

I picked up forum roleplaying some years later and got the chance. After trying every genre and character trope at the time, I acquired a preference for group fantasy roleplays with large member counts. I and those that joined my roleplays at the time really appreciated the flexibility of the genre and the character creation permitted in such diverse and fantastical environments. I grew dissatisfied with traditional roleplaying though.

Another few years passed as I tried to shake up the roleplay formula a bit with systems I invented. I had experience with various table top roleplaying games like dungeons and dragons and call of cthulhu among others. I wanted the structure to the chaos that a system provided, but the flexibility and ease of access inherent to forum roleplay. So I adapted and crafted various ways to adjudicate the outcomes of player narration in a way that attempted to be fair and engaging.

Fast forward a decade and Isekai type content came in waves to saturate various media. .Hack, Log Horizon, Shield Hero, and countless others. The idea that regular people with modern education and sensibilities were dropped into fantasy situations and tested in various ways to epic and/or comedic effect. Many of them included structured approaches to how the characters grew in strength and acquired power.

Isekai Hell, or IH as we call it internally, is the combination of the nostalgic memories of cool things from around the 90s, the freedom of roleplay to let me explore various ideas, the structure of table top games to give rhyme and reason to the chaos brought about by a group of writers, and packaged like one of the more popular types of Fantasy that lent itself to the various aspects I was interested in all at once.
What has made your roleplay successful?
I have some bigger goals for Isekai Hell than where it currently is, so it is hard to call it a success just yet. However, our community has managed to come this far due to the dedication of all involved. While the members of the community come and go, contributing their character, scenario, and setting ideas, our mods, although few in number, are instrumental in driving interest, activity, and creativity. I also strongly believe any roleplay can be a successful one if the narrator is the most dedicated of all. Everyday, I spend some time posting, working on the rules, or developing more of the setting of Isekai Hell. Around the duties I perform to keep the community moving forward, I also reach out on a regular basis to potentially interested parties to join us.

Many of our members have become friends beyond the rp as well. Whether it was an appreciation for each others' ideas, sharing common interests, or showing genuine concern for one another, our community has no difficulty bringing new people into the fold and keeping drama to a minimum. We look forward to meeting new folks and talking about potential character ideas. Our members are also very diverse with individuals all over the globe. Doesn't matter what time of day you get on, you'll likely find one of our members available to talk with.

Aside from the people, the roleplay is setup to support any number of participants, types of characters, and settings. It's not uncommon for rp'ers to have original characters that wish to rp and bring with them from rp to rp. Our character creation and development rules allow for just about any character to be brought in. Several have been enticed by the idea of helping create the world also. The sandbox concept isn't new, but our system of giving consistent participants more and more control over the setting and events has made things fun and exciting for many with many more things to look forward to.
How did you start roleplaying?
I started roleplaying on Gaiaonline about 15 years ago. I was interested in anime and manga and saw an ad for the site while reading through a manga magazine. Originally joining the site for manga and anime appreciation, I found roleplaying on accident. It looked fun and I had no shortage of ideas. I recall angels and demons were really popular at the time. My first roleplay was pretty disastrous. Not knowing any of the rules or etiquette, I just hopped in and tried imitating the styles of posting and writing I saw while introducing elements I thought were interesting. I was not expected nor welcome and was ignored entirely. I kept trying and eventually learned the way things were done. There was no one set way of doing things but speaking directly to the author of any rp never hurt.
How did you discover RpNation?
Over the years, rp sites have had waning popularity. There are so many different ways to roleplay and even table top forms are becoming more accessible. I found RPN through a regular google search. Ruling out sites I had already tried or ones that did not fit my particular needs, RPN was where I settled and brought those willing to follow me. I also used sites that made rp site listings like toprpsites.
What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out most?
For me, I have seen it and done it, for what feels like most things rp. The saying "nothing new under the sun" comes to mind frequently. Sometimes I see familiar concepts recycled and slammed together to give the appearance of something new. A romance but flip the setting. An action adventure but add baking. A slice of life where life is cheap. For me, the most unique rp I've been in and don't see quite as often is the trapped in a room ones. I suppose its like a mystery thriller perhaps.

The idea was we (the pc's) were trapped in a white room. The people don't know who they are but have vague memories of stuff and things that set their characters apart and give them some experiences to work with while navigating this odd situation. Our first goal was to escape the room. It had had no doors, windows, or perceivable holes. Solving the puzzle would lead us deeper into the mysterious place we found ourselves in. More puzzles awaited us and the further in we got, the more we remembered stuff and things about ourselves, each other, and the white complex we were trapped in.
What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
My greatest memory as well as joy is all the times folks mention how much they enjoyed or had fun in the rp's I have made. Nothing I could write or read compares to knowing I helped someone else have a good time. I'm hoping IH, similarly, helps many folks have a few fun memories to look back on. The rp's I remember most are generally the ones where folks told me after the fact that they had good times or liked specific elements of the rp. For that reason and others, I rarely consider sequels or reboots of older rp's. There's no point since living up to the first time is an even harder thing to do than just running a new one. It also may sour the memory if the 2nd one isn't as good.
What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from? Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?
Tell people when you will be away for a while for real life stuff. Most of the time, people won't be mad at the person and might even wait assuming the away period is short enough. Ghosting an rp or group by leaving and never saying anything to anyone about it is pretty shafty.

Use character names in post and especially during introductions. I don't care if dark stranger in corner hasn't been named yet. The rp'ers know who it is already, so use the name. Otherwise, you risk people mistaking a character for an npc. It annoys me to no end when a character meant to be edgy or secretive has their name missing from a post they are in. Not only can it lead to confusion on the reader's part, but you can only say 'cloaked', 'hidden', 'mysterious' stranger so many times.

Not every post needs to be a long one. Another annoyance is when posts are excessively long and serve no purpose. A hot tip for it: if the scene is set, the characters are described, the dialogue is stated, the actions are elaborated on, do not feel the urge to pad your posts with mental or verbal expositions of unrelated thoughts and unnatural dialogue/actions. Unless lecturing, no one holds a real conversation by speaking for 10 minutes at someone without break. There is no fight scene where the enemy simply stands there while you describe 100 attacks. Walking down a street, it helps no one get a better sense of scene or character if the mental monologue kicks in to describe the history of the use of chrome in cars as one drives past.

I encourage every post to have at least 3 things in it: what does your character do, say, and how did the scene change because of it. No post should end before those things are covered. I find just talking about those things descriptively is more than enough for a barebones post and is sometimes all that really needs done in the heat of a back and forth social or combat oriented scene.

I discourage excessive mentioning of what the character is thinking in post. Pretty much everyone does it, but I don't believe it offers much to the rp overall. Except when rp'ing telepaths, thoughts cannot be reacted to by others. It is content you read but have to pretend you didn't. While it makes characters potentially more interesting, it can also come off as a crutch. You can describe how Tanya is thinking of sad things, but don't forgot to describe how those thoughts impact her facial features and body language. Perhaps her tone wavers or a tear is visible. The other rp'ers will be able to do more with that part of the post than the page long backstory of the day her dog died.

Please, please, please do not use the word "hues" synonymously with the word "eyes". "His blue 'hues' were watching her." "his blue 'colors' were watching her." I swear I have seen this done by multiple people and it needs to stop.

Exercise and acquire a little patience when it comes to your writing. Not everything needs said in the moment. Not everything needs done like there won't be a tomorrow. Turn those romance rp's into a slow burn that actually mean something when they climax. Make those heroic rp's into a true hero's journey where the characters grow in power and as people along the way. I'm tired of these rp's that burn too hot, too fast where the characters are all overpowered, accomplished, or in love in the first page.

Make friends. rp's bring us together, but don't forget the other poster is still a person too beyond the character they portray. Even a glorified self inserter has feelings.

You don't need so many rp's going at once. Sometimes it is good to sit with what you got and focus in on it to make sure it is getting your best and not 25% every other tuesday.

Be flexible. I hear all the time "my character wouldn't do this" and "my character wouldn't go there". All probably true statements, but if those are your statements the majority of the time, you can kill the rp for the character and those trying to interact with them. Think of reasons why your character may compromise their stance on issues. Real folk are never truly adamant about anything under the right pressure.

Build characters for the rp/setting being ran. Do not try to shoehorn an oc in if they are not a good fit to begin with. IH is medieval fantasy, but there have been a few folk who try joining and bring their scifi oc's and their drop ships and mechs with them lol. While the rp can handle such a thing (isekai theme and all), they get pretty bent out of shape when they realize the number of sacrifices they will have to tolerate at the beginning as their characters gradually fix/reacquire/improve their stuff. In some cases it is better for the oc to start fresh or to create a new oc. Fewer headaches and less frustration when you come for what is offered rather than try to force the world to offer you what you want.

Spam your narrator with questions. If the narrator doesn't have the answers, work together to come up with them. Much frustration and confusion comes from assuming the answers and then realizing you were wrong when the narrator sees what you are plotting.

Find/Be a good narrator. That means someone who is attentive to the needs of the rp and the players. Sometimes the rp is not a good fit for everyone and people have to part ways, but for the folks that stick around or are unsure, make sure the narrator is putting on the rp experience that was promised. There has been no shortage over the years where the narrator neglects the rp and it eventually dies as a consequence. If your narrator will not invest the time or effort, why should you.

Specifically for narrators: don't be a pushover. Don't show favorites in group rps. Drive your narrative. Find people that share your vision for the rp. Incentivize behavior you want to see and do not go lightly on behavior you do not want to see in rp or in the group discourse.

When making a character, the rp'er needs to know in advance what will allow the character to function productively in the group or duo for the rp. If they are an edlgelord type with poor communication, loose morals, bad team play, and you do not know how to keep them in the rp in a way that won't sow salt, they need to go or shouldn't be introduced in the first place.

When narrating puzzles/mysteries, write them as if for children. Your players will always be a step behind you without sufficient guidance.

When running an rp where player versus player is possible, the narrator should be a 3rd party to oversee and adjudicate things fairly. Do not participate.

Narrators need to stop running rp's where they play a 'star/main' character that the rp revolves around. Few folks appreciate playing 2nd fiddle. Especially if it is not clear from the start everyone other than the narrator is background noise. Ideally narrators wouldn't run characters at all. They have the world and all its npcs to run. They don't need to run their own characters. Npcs can provide all the guidance/leadership/or supporting cast necessary to facilitate story.

Posting is a big thing, so here's another hot tip: tune out distractions, get your inspiration media going, and set aside time to deliberately think/write your posts. Very little gets done by accident. Be deliberate in what you want to do and always move closer to your goals.

All that preaching and soapboxing to add lastly: don't take things too seriously XD If you and the folks you with can avoid getting overly salty, there is usually a path forward and a more enjoyable rp experience possible.

That's not even all of it, but it's easy to be a critic and good advise never looks good to the folks that need it most lol. IH is on the bigger side. we have close to a few dozen active members and even more going through joining or taking some time off, so the last tip is particularly important to allow so many folk with such varied backgrounds and rp'ing needs to come together without driving each other crazy.
I want to look more on an imaginative side. If you had the choice to adapt your roleplay into a different medium which would it be; comic book, novel series, TV show, movie, or video game? And why?
I'm reminded of a book series I read called redwall. It was a series based on anthropomorphic animals in a medieval setting. Had a few books that felt like the core line telling the main story the author wished to tell. It then had several books further fleshing out the history and the world. I feel Isekai Hell follows a similar path. We have a handful of narrators, dozens of characters, and several storylines being followed at once. Some will eventually evolve into epics spanning eras of time and lives. Some will be short-lived but set things in motion for the future of IH. I have pulled word counts from several of our rp's and believe properly edited collections of them could be curated into fantasy novels in a series. The level of writing and subject matter would likely lend itself to a light novel or young adult novel format for most of them.

However, obviously an anime inspired roleplay would do well as an anime or manga title. The characters' visual aesthetics and powers would do well in that form (already half way there). In our discord, the guys regularly discuss characters' builds/powers/and the cool things they wish to have their characters do and experience. While some of our members are more serious and grounded than others in their writing, the community does lean towards over-the-top. My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are fairly popular. They and other shonen titles have definitely inspired the writings of several of our members too. Some of our plans for the rp will involve large combat set pieces which several of the members are looking forward too.

A few of our members are more interested in a more down to earth life or one steeped in political intrigue. A TV drama would be a good fit for some of the stuff they are coming up with. The young heroine that will climb to the top of the hierarchy to reclaim her birthright. The awkward couple trying to get by in a world of magic and mayhem....perhaps that one would be more sitcom than drama, I suppose.
In the upcoming newsletter, would you like to give a shout-out to your players? If so, please feel free to tag them here for us!
March Donation badge by @Daisie
XC1W4J9.png

Damn they really had us in the first half with that message saying they decided to skip the newsletter this month lol.

Really appreciate the shout out for Isekai Hell. Just wish we could have talked more about Isekai Hell itself

head hype GIF

Congratulations to everyone who was involved in the newsletter. It was well-deserved for you all. :]

It's a bit of a foot note, but we are changing the size of donation badges, meaning they'll be easier to see and will allow for more detail ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back