Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: April 2021

APRIL 2021 NEWSLETTER
HXFYXnj.png

@lunardenouncement ― Featured Discussion
@Yukitera ― Featured BBCoder

@Baconhands ― Featured Writer
DovahBeat DovahBeat ― Featured Artist

Yhmera Yhmera ― Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying? Where was it? Did you enjoy it at first?
I've been roleplaying for more than 5 or 6 years now? Maybe longer at this point. I played Magic The Gathering card game in the back of the local comic book store. From there I was asked to join a Champions tabletop roleplaying game. It was history from there. Love at first character. A halfling rogue with a magical curse on her. I went on to play D&D, Call of Cthulu, and many many many board games. A few years back I moved from tabletop to forum roleplaying. I've been on Warrior Cats, Gaia, Neo Pets, and a few other forums. It was rough starting but I quickly found my groove. Plus finding that group that seems to post effortlessly and adds to the story with ease is the best rush I've ever known. Waiting with anticipation for the next post! You don't have to wait for the weekend card or tabletop game to get a little social interaction in!

How did you discover RpNation?
I did a google search. Gaia is pretty dead, Warrior Cats is gone, and I felt like I had outgrown Neo Pets. Of all the online forums I looked at, RpNation was the most friendly and the easiest to use! So I found myself sticking around and loving it here!

What are your favorite genres/settings to roleplay in?
That's a really hard one to answer. Space pirates and steampunk are tons of fun. So is dark modern fantasy. But if I had to choose a favorite, it would be medieval fantasy. I love the flexibility of the setting. You can add as much or as little as you like. Every race is welcome. Besides, I really have a thing for playing orcs. They don't always fit into some of the other settings.

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I'm a busy person on and offline. I love to garden. Trying to put together a koi pond this year. Even started a few cherry bushes to place around it. I also make armor. You know, like knights in shining armor. Well, more along the lines of scalemail and chainmail. But you get the point. I also make chainmail jewelry. Been doing that long before I even knew what roleplaying was.
Example One, Example Two

Do you have any favorite literature pieces? Or maybe a beloved TV series?
Oh I love to read. I have so many books. Um to narrow it down. Um.. My go to is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I also have a love for Piers Anthony. On a Pale Horse is another good book. I love Glen Cook, RA Salvatore, Robert E. Howard, and Stan Nicholls.

Are you excited about any books, shows, or other related elements of media? What are they?
I have really been wanting to set down and read the Witcher Books. I hear they are really good. The show and the video games are awesome. Plus there is a rumor that Anne McCaffrey's son might be writing some new Dragon Rider of Pern books. Really hope that rumor is true!

What is your favorite animal? Why?
Favorite animal is the hedgehog. They are easy to take care of and make really cute noises when you tickle their feet. The quills are really soft and almost feel like rubber when they trust you.

What is your favorite food? Drink?
Favorite food hands down is sushi. There is an all you can eat place close to me. I've been able to try all kinds of fun flavors. Haven't gotten up the nerve to try blowfish yet.

What is your favorite part of Rpnation?
The atmosphere. Of all the online communities, this is by far the most friendly. It isn't hard to get the help you need and the mods are quick with feed back. They are very nice and incredibly approachable. The members are super friendly and very laid back. RpNation really is more focused on the positive side of things. I feel it makes everything from roleplaying to hanging out more comfortable and fun.

If you were to be stranded on an island, what three items would you have and why?
Man, that's hard. People might laugh but there are three things I always have on me. My ocarina, my solar battery charger, and my kindle book reader. The charger is simple. I'm outside a lot and I hate it when my book reader dies on me. With my kindle I won't go completely mad. Then the ocarina looks like the one from Zelda. I'll finally learn to play song of time.

What era would you want to be born in and why?
I would pick the Victorian era. It was an exciting time full of innovation and exploration. Not to mention a huge amount of civil rights movements around the world started then. To see the invention of the telephone. The first mass produced vaccine. To see women really stepping out of their roles and start being able to act and think for themselves. Plus there were a large number of writers that still inspire people to this day! Meeting Charles Dickens, Anne Brontë, H.G. Wells, Lewis Carroll and so many other authors would be awe inspiring! So many of the legendary great authors are from that era!

If you could play every single instrument basically or play one instrument completely flawlessly, what would you choose? If the latter, what instrument?
I wouldn't mind being able to play every instrument basically. Just the fact that I could play would be enough for me. I don't need to be perfect or amazing at it. Simply being good would be enough for me.

If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life, which color would it be and why?
I would probably go with black. Black is a slimming color. It hides stains well. You can wear it for any occasion and it's hard not to look good in black.

Would you rather be a background character in a music video that's extremely well known or be the main character in a movie no one has heard of?
I think I would want to be the background character in a music video that's extremely well known. I don't like to play leading roles. If someone notices me in the background then great! If not, I still got my 15 seconds of fame and can still brag about being part of something big.

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
It's not really a project. But I tend to lurk in the introduction threads. Anytime someone says they need help finding a starting place I send a few links their way. Like the Comprehensive Guide to RpNation or the How to Create a Roleplay.

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
You'll never hit the ball if you don't swing the bat. Everyone talks about not having people to roleplay with or no one to talk to on this site. It's hard sometimes and it can be scary. But you have to post. Say something on a profile or jump into some of the goofy stuff in the general discussions area. It won't be long before you find your feet and a few cool people to chill with.

Sylph Sylph ― Roleplay of the Month
What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
It was a Rp I was part of on different site, going back a couple years. The creator had such an open, diverse world and I remember it being so much fun to come up with ideas! Since then I've wanted to do a RP that had similar potential, with a focus on player built lore and story.

What has made your roleplay successful?
Of course it's always the players! Everyone who has joined has left their mark on the guild in little ways, be it through kingdom lore or self-made quests (or a hole in the roof that has yet to be fixed 10 pages later). It's an absolute delight reading the ideas people come up with, and finding ways to expand or draw connections between them.

The only real function guild has is providing a place for all those ideas to come together. Adventurers start out with a specific set of utility items, and can be in many different stages of development in their journey. It is my hope that doing so has allowed for more meaningful interactions than there might have been otherwise.

How did you start roleplaying?
A friend of mine got me into it around grade 10, and it quickly became a fun way to avoid doing any actual schoolwork (don't be like me). My engagement with it dropped off after I graduated, but after a couple years I was back to craving a creative outlet, and wanted to pursue the excitement of building a story together with others.

How did you discover RpNation?
A google search after the site I was originally on shut down. I went through a few different forums, but RpNation was the one I ended up sticking with due to its user activity and intuitive layout. Its potential with use of BBCode was also a huge bonus for adding in visual effects.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Without a doubt, waking up in the morning to see new notifications on a thread! It's such a fantastic way to start the day,

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
While everyone's style and preferences are different, I go with the idea that less is more at the start of a Rp. I think having less unessential details on a CS/thread leaves it open to ideas, but then again I've seen plenty of fully fleshed-out bios that make me want to throw my whole philosophy up in the air, so it really comes down to how well it's done.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?
Most of mine I've been guilty of at some point, but probably my biggest dislike is a character that expects to be revered, or treated as the centre of the story by everyone else. It can be particularly destructive in a group Rp, where attention is shared across a cast of people. It also ignores the fact that most characters will develop a different perception based on their own background and interactions with the subject.

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?
I'm hoping guild will continue for a while yet, so no plans per se. I do like the idea of a villain Rp though, and all the fun ethicalities that would go along with it.

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Try to remember there's a person on the other side of the screen, and that they are always deserving of your respect. It doesn't mean lines can't be drawn, or disputes can't be settled, but the manner in which it's done means everything.

april2021daisy02.png

April Donation Badge by @Fyuri

Congratulations to all of the well-deserved newsletter features. A huge thanks to Life. Life. and deer deer for their wonderful work. Check out the newsletter poll, cast your vote, and discuss your answers here!

Holy crap I'm the featured artist?! Aaaaaa if this is a joke you got me!
I'm so honored! Ty!

Flowers are the most beautiful part of spring. My dream is to kiss with my darling under the sakura .The sakura are so pretty and romantic. 🌺:closedeyessmile:

Where I live sakura blooms around May. I hope I can see it this year because last year all public areas were closed for quarantine and I couldn't see it ^^
Warmer weather and flowers are the best things about spring.

Where I live sakura blooms around May. I hope I can see it this year because last year all public areas were closed for quarantine and I couldn't see it ^^
Warmer weather and flowers are the best things about spring.
You’re so lucky. I’m jealous!

It's not May yet! XD and it was still snowing today lol I'm looking forward to nice weather ^^

My favorite thing about Spring is Star Wars Day and the day that follows it, my birthday. Am I a self-absorbed narcissist for this? Quite possibly.

Also, congrats everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back