Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: April 2019

[div class=container][div class=header] [div class=leaf style="left:1%;animation-delay:0s,0s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:10%;animation-delay:3s,1s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:20%;animation-delay:6s,.5s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:30%;animation-delay:4s,2s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:40%;animation-delay:2s,2s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:50%;animation-delay:8s,3s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:60%;animation-delay:6s,2s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:70%;animation-delay:2.5s,1s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:80%;animation-delay:1s,0s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=leaf style="left:90%;animation-delay:3s,1.5s; color: #a84444"]💧[/div] [div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]April Newsletter[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]Housekeeping Announcements[/div][/div]
April's Supporter Badge
jesterhat2.png
Many thanks to @AgWordSmith!​
  • Congratulations to the winner and runner-up of the Flirty February Writing Event.
  • We'll be hosting more writing events later this year so keep an eye out for the announcements for them!
  • It finally happened. There is a Comprehensive Guide to RpNation. We've tried to cover as much as we can and will try to update it as changes occur to the site.

[div class=otm][div class=avatar]
40376.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
@Blood Born Angel[/div][/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about your roleplay.
Ashes of the Paragons is a role-play set in a war-torn fantasy world, where civilization is on the brink of collapse. The heroes of the past have mostly all faded from history, but a small group has gathered in the North to build a refuge for those in need, and to train the next generation in preparation for whatever crisis may come next.

In AoP it is encouraged for you to be who you want to be, and do what you want to do. If you like high fantasy, magic, a bit of action, and possible some simple slice-of-life in this kind of setting then Ashes of the Paragon's will try and bring that to you for your enjoyment.

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
Well, I'd have to say my biggest inspiration has always been Dungeons and Dragons. When I first started roleplaying on forums my friends did a lot of D&D and referenced it quite often. I myself knew of, but had never played, the classic roleplaying game. After a couple real life friends and I talked about it and got the Pathfinder starter set was when the world of Sotiris was really born. It was just a simple home-brew campaign setting then, but after all these years it's become a much bigger world that I wished to share.

What do you enjoy most about GMing?
My favorite part is honestly just the world building. I could spend hours crafting worlds and places and people to fill them. Following that is just seeing what others can come up with to fit into my worlds. Their stories make it so much more alive, and it gives me this feeling of satisfaction I can't quite describe to see others have fun with what I've created.

What do you believe are your strengths and weaknesses as a GM?
One of my strengths has got to be how quickly I can formulate a plot. You said some arbitrary little thing in your post? Well guess what, I just had an idea for a three arc sub-plot. Get ready folks. Haha. While I might be out of practice, I use to love doing combat scenarios with an enemy player characters might not be able to overcome through brute force. Giving the players room to grow is something I try hard to accomplish.

A weakness is definitely my speed as a writer itself. I'm terribly slow when it comes to updates, because I go through several drafts of what I want to actually put out. AoP could be considered the tenth or eleventh iteration of this RP and it could have gone on if I hadn't said enough is enough. I also struggle a bit with the separation of Player and GM in my head when I write. Yeah, the NPC's are technically my characters, but I try not to treat them as such. They're tools for the plot. I feel like I'm only moderately successful at this.

How did you come about roleplaying?
I could say my first role-plays were done over text messages in my younger days. We'll just try and gloss over those frivolous times though... Instead, lets talk about 2010! My first forum role-play I started in the summer and it was something along the lines of knights and magic, and I made the most god awfully edgy character that still makes me cringe to this day.

Even if I still use him.

Fun fact; my first character is actually how I got my username. And he may or may not be one of the NPC's in the current role-play. I'll let you all take a guess. Anyways, after this I really wanted to do more. I always had an itch to write stories but lacked the ability to write for more than short bursts at a time. Roleplaying fits perfectly with my attention span, and I was able to slowly refine my way of writing. Though I would say I still have to work on it.

How did you discover RpNation?
I ended up doing some light Google searching after a previous site was counting down its last days. I wanted a place that felt similar, and I could comfortably transition into without much of a hassle. I did go through several other websites and forums, but the only place that really stuck was RPN, and even if I disappeared now and then it was someplace I could come back too.

How do you usually go about planning your roleplays?
P-planning? There was a plan..? *sweats*

Actually, while I never really specifically plan a role-play, I guess you could say I always have it in mind when I write. I actually spend most of my free time just world building. I make up random plots in my head and jot them down here and there. I actually don't have much free time with work, social obligations, and planning for the future. Though when I procrastinate that's when you find me here. Or if I'm playing a game you know I'm procrastinating here as well. *sweating intensifies*

What struggles do you have when you create a roleplay?
Probably the biggest struggle I have is determining the focus. I'm not in control of what the other players create as their characters, and it could not be as cohesive to what I had in mind as other characters might be. So then I have to broaden my original ideas, and still keep focus on the original plan. Assuming there was a plan. I also struggle a lot with time constraints. Work is a big factor in that. I technically only work part-time, but I'm also a manager and have to think about the place even when I'm not there. Distractions are abundant in my life, so staying focused on my role-play's is sometimes difficult.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Fluidity. This might be an odd tip, and it could be also be a bad thing, but hear me out. A lot of times your players may do something, or add things that weren't really part of the original plot, or maybe not having anything to do with what was established in the first place! I find it sad to see when these little snippets get shot down, edited out, or just ignored by the rest of cast and crew. It is in my belief that adapting and weaving every little thread into the role-play is what makes it a beautiful tapestry. Try not to look at the stray plots and actions as outliers, but as possibilities to do much more than what you had planned in the first place. Some amazing things can come from simple details if you use your imagination.

What is your favorite part about creating a roleplay?
Probably the anticipation to see what people do with it. You could say I have a bit of a laissez faire attitude when things first open up. I want people to use their imagination and then I'm gonna use that as the inspiration to move things forward. The players give me my momentum, and the more they can come up with, the more fuel I have to keep things burning.

If you could change one thing in the real universe, what would it be?
This is a bit of a deep question for how laid back I've been so far. I'd have to say if I could change anything, it would be to make the people in the world a bit more open-minded. There are a lot of closed off hearts and minds in the world, and I respect everyone having their own opinions and think that it's great to think in your own way. But sometimes we don't always give others the respect for their ideas and beliefs that they deserve, and it is disheartening to see. This is something I'd love to change in the universe.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
Hmmm, other projects?

*Checks the millions of folders and notes scattered across his laptop, and bed at home*

Could be, but for the moment I'm almost 100% focused on Ashes of the Paragons in terms of role-plays. I do have a small story that I've posted a couple chapters for here on RPN, so if anyone wants to check that out and give me their input feel free. Other than that, you could say that AoP is a beta of sorts. Maybe more of an Alpha... My ideas get recycled a lot and you'll see rehashes of places, characters, stories, and other things quite often. I see the world I've crafted as sometime to be refined, and every time I remake it it gets a little more refined. The world of Ashes of the Paragons, Sotiris, is like a blade that I will continue to temper for the years to come.[/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=features]
[div class=smavatar]
63447.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Discussion
@GreatDoggo [/div]
Everyone has a first impression, and @GreatDoggo asks What did you think about RPNation when you first joined it? Come share what your first thoughts were when you joined, perhaps how they may have changed over time as well or if they haven't at all.
[div class=smavatar]
65361.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Artist
@madlad[/div]
@madlad's thread wow........drawing features their quirky-but-it-works styled artworks featuring bright colors and sketching outlines. The simple aesthetic of the plain character sketches on a colorful background make them pop.
[div class=smavatar]
48933.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Prose
@Trombone [/div]
Congratulations to @Trombone who was the selected winner of the Feb 2019 writing event! Their entry features a cute usage of paper planes where the main character wants to use one - like many others - to send a message to someone. Barry's friend takes the initiative for him and throw the paper plane to its target. Do you think the message reaches them? You can read the story here.
[div class=smavatar]
59882.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Character
@Senor_Fluffy[/div]
Michelle Davidson is a quite and blunt girl. With little memories beyond a lab Mimi has been more or less thrust into Osira Academy with little to her fake name. As a shape shifter with a volatile side there is the question of fitting in. Though among the other students she just may blend in. .

[div class=featheader]Trivia Time![/div]
The answer to last week's trivia is Young Clover!

"What is the word for the pleasant scent after it rains?"

[div class=featheader]Suggest Features[/div]
If you are interested in suggesting a feature for next month's newsletter please read the following information and instructions. There are a few rules though.
  1. Previously featured members cannot be featured in the same section multiple times.

2. Please do not spam multiple suggestions or messages.

3. Remember that not all suggestions are going to be accepted. While your suggestions are appreciated there are limited slots in each newsletter. If your suggestion isn't accepted please do not let it make you disheartened; there is always the next newsletter. Additionally, some suggestions may not meet the requirements to be featured in the newsletter.

4. Please do not expect or anticipate a response to your suggestion. This isn't to be rude but rather Staff having limited time.

5. All suggestions will be kept anonymous, meaning we won't be sharing who suggested who/what for the newsletter.
What are you suggesting as a feature? (Options include Member, Roleplay, Character, Discussion, Artist, Prose, Poetry, #forumgame)
Please provide a direct link to your suggestion.
Why do you think your suggestion should be featured in the newsletter?

Please fill out the form and send a PM to Fyuri.
[div class=featheader]Ask Alteras[/div]
This is just a fun new section of the newsletter we're going to try out. It's a bit experimental! Before jumping into shooting @Alteras some questions, we've got to lay down some rules here.
  1. The 'advice' of this advice column is meant to be for comedy reasons. While we know people may have serious or personal questions, please remember that this is RpNation and not Dear Abby.

2. Coding questions are welcome here, but it's best to probably stick to the BBCode Center.

3. Please don't send a PM, ask your question as a reply to this newsletter with the tag "Ask @Alteras ".

4. Please don't be upset if your question isn't selected! We can only do so many.
@glucose guardian asks [div class=QBubble]will you do my webdev term project coding for me? thank you
@Alteras says
[div class=ABubble]Actually tho, I'd 100% code the webpage for Kou 口[/div] [div class=ABubble]XD[/div] [div class=ABubble]...[/div] [div class=ABubble]We should make an restaurant RP named 口...[/div] @ShadowHounder asks [div class=QBubble]How much BB code worship do you do everyday?[/div]
@Alteras says
[div class=ABubble]None[/div] [div class=ABubble]I spend every waking moment coding the BBCode altar that my poor mortal being can never hope to achieve.[/div] [/div]
[/div]
[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(229,229,229,1) 0%,rgba(133,153,173,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; z-index: 2; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class name=leaf] color: #fff; font-size: initial; text-shadow: 0 0 1px #000; position:absolute; top:-10%; pointer-events: none; animation-name:{post_id}leafsfall,{post_id}leafsshake; animation-duration:5s,3s; animation-timing-function:linear,ease-in-out; animation-iteration-count:infinite,infinite; animation-play-state:running,running; [/class] [animation=leafsfall] [keyframe=0]top: -10%[/keyframe] [keyframe=100]top: 100%[/keyframe] [/animation] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block -webkit-columns: 2 200px; -moz-columns: 2 200px; columns: 2 200px; -webkit-column-gap: 2em; -moz-column-gap: 2em; column-gap: 2em; [/class] [class=otm] box-sizing:border-box; width:100%; background: #313131; padding:5px; color:#fff; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class name=QBubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-left-radius: 0; background-color: #e5e5ea; color: black; margin-right: auto; text-align: left; [/class] [class name=ABubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; float: right; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-right-radius: 0; background-color: rgba(141,153,165,1); margin-left: auto; margin-bottom: 2px; color: white; text-align: left; [/class]

Just wondering, is it allowed to answer the trivia question here, or does it have to be through some other way as to not spoil everyone else?

Just wondering, is it allowed to answer the trivia question here, or does it have to be through some other way as to not spoil everyone else?
You can answer it here if you want, lol. There isn't a prize given out for getting it correct, it's just something fun and some may check for the answers in the replies.

Redfork2000 Redfork2000 You can also use a spoiler tag if you wanna give others a chance at a guess ;3

Kukukuku
Code:
[inlineSpoiler]This is a Secret[/inlineSpoiler]

I think my favorite part about the newsletter is seeing how many different users get featured - it really puts into perspective for me just how HUGE the community is here!

I just want to say that I absolutely adore this monthly newsletter. It's very clear that there's a lot of work put into it, and I love how much you all include the community in it. 💚

Users who are viewing this thread

Back