RpNation Monthly: June

rpnlogo4.png

June Newsletter

Welcome back to the newsletter! Unfortunately we have not been able to put out issues for a number of months, but I've decided to step up and make the newsletter a monthly thing again on the site. We hope you enjoy this month's issue and like all that we've chosen to include in it! ~ C cupidcreep

Housekeeping Announcements

• After months and months of development, the magnificent mobile app is finally here for iOS and Android. Click here to read more!
    • At the beginning of June, brand new desktop notifications were introduced.
    • To make it easier to tag other users on the website, we've made a new rule that prevents certain characters from being used in usernames. Click here to read more.

Many thanks to
doughnut8.png

Fable Fable !

Member of the Month

This month's 'member of the month' is RpN's designated panda-otter-octopus hybrid, PanOtterPus PanOtterPus ! Her helpfulness and welcoming attitude is shown throughout the introduction forums. Now, onto the questions! ~ C cupidcreep

When did you start roleplaying? Where was it? Did you enjoy it at first?

I started roleplaying with friends on a Chatzy chat room. We'd come up with a "Town of Monsters" roleplay and, cliché as it was, I adored it... mutiny aside of course >.> *Ahem* Where was I? We actually still go back to it now and again, but more for nostalgia's sake than anything else.

How did you discover RpNation?

It was a few months ago, I'd been scrolling through different forums and couldn't find any that really fit what I was looking for. I'd been on a few and noticed that either the members themselves just seemed immature or the site had rules that no-one seemed to follow and nobody cared. I found a link to RpN and one thing led to another, and you now have yourselves one very happy otter!

What's your favourite type of roleplay?

I jump straight into any kind of fantasy roleplays. If it has vampires, werewolves, man eating waffles - I'm there o7 I'm also a sucker for romance, but I prefer it to be the less obvious, drawn out, make your heart break types... none of this declaration of love at first site stuff.

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?

I've always been into drawing, mostly manga/anime style stuff. I've even designed a few tattoos (2 of the 3 tattoos my own mother has were created by yours truly).

What is your favourite animal?

Aha! Just take a look at the name - Pandas, because they're just as clumsy as I am. Otters, because so darn cute ;-; And octopus(es?) because they could carry 8 drinks at a time and I give that next level respect.

What is your favourite food?

Real food would be chicken. GODS I love me some poultry. Though, I am a self proclaimed chocoholic <3

If you were to be stranded on an island, what three items would you have and why?

My Stephen King 'The Shining,' because I simply cannot live without this book. (King is bae) My doggo because duh, and lastly sun-cream because I burn like a mofo ;-;

What's your favourite movie or TV show?

Favourite film? Probably have to say 'City Of Angels' for the feels, even if it is Nicolas Cage, he's actually quite good in this particular film.

Would you rather have hiccups for the rest of your life or feel like you have to sneeze and not be able to forever?

Oh, definitely the sneezing - my hiccups hurt T^T

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!

I wouldn't say it was a project per-say, but I aim to keep adding to my "Art Dump" and it's become somewhat of a mission to welcome each and every new member in the introduction posts :P Everyone deserves to feel like part of the community from the get go!

Is there anything else you'd like to tell to the readers of the newsletter?

Oh gods, freedom.... Stay in school kids! For real though, I just wanna say that I hope everyone enjoys themselves and that if they ever need an otter to talk to, then I'm your gal! Don't be shy, if there's an RP you wanna join or someone you just want to talk to, then get in there and ask! Many a time I've been too shy and regretted missing an awesome RP. Don't be that guy! TTFN~

Congratulations
47762.jpg

PanOtterPus PanOtterPus !

Roleplay of the Month

Finding a roleplay of the month was easy once we spotted avira avira 's Hogwarts Roleplay! With a perfect balance of magic and drama, this roleplay is still open for applications. Hop in on the fun! Now, onto the questions that you've been waiting for. ~ C cupidcreep

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?

I've been RPing on and off since I was, maybe, 12. I've been deeply in love with the Harry Potter universe since it came out and have always wondered what it would be like to be a Hogwarts student myself, especially being sorted into my own house. Creating this RP became my chance to live out 12 year old me's fantasy!

What has made your roleplay successful?

I think a number of things have contributed to my RP's growth. Luck is definitely one of them, another is playing off a very popular fandom. I've had the great fortune of being graced with some very helpful friends, not just in this RP but on this site in general (shoutouts to deer deer and The Silent Z The Silent Z and @aesthete if I can). I've gotten a lot of help with coding from the community, which I think also helped attract some eyes to my RP!

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?

I am a HUGE fan of lists. Lists are everywhere in my RP, especially in my private notes. It might seem intimidating to some people, but it really helps me (and hopefully the RP's participants) keep things straight! Another thing is that I try to be really friendly and communicative with my players. Maybe that goes without saying, but very often joining an RP feels like trying to infiltrate a clique. I try to create a welcoming environment for people to jump in and have a good time!

How about weaknesses?

When it comes to universes like HP with a very established universe, I can definitely become a sort of stickler for the details of the book. Sometimes that doesn't mesh well with the creativity flow of an RP. Finding that balance is something I'm continually working on, I'm always trying to ask players for feedback on concepts and pacing. Also more recently, I've been doing a lot of traveling which has made it tough to keep track of things. Thankfully my awesome co-GMs have been great at minding things when I can't!

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?

To promote my RP, I guess I do the usual things like post about my RP in all the related subforums of RPN and reach out to those I know who might be interested. I think one of the biggest draws for this particular RP was the use of gorgeous artwork from the Pottermore site, with a little coding thrown in for good measure. I also tried to get my details down (rules, setting text, etc.) before posting, and include all those in my interest check. For me personally, when joining an RP I like to see that a GM has a firm grasp on what the RP is going to be like and a real passion for it. I tried to show that to people in my own work.

How did you come about roleplaying?

Embarrassingly enough, I began my roleplaying journey on Neopets. I think I stumbled across the neopets RP forum because I randomly found a Harry Potter themed guild that sometimes made use of it. Writing a story, particularly in collaboration with friends, seemed like an awesome and fun idea to me! The rest is history.

How did you discover RpNation?

Neopets forums aren't particularly great for RPing. Plus, the community naturally died out as everyone got older. I found myself longing to RP again, so I did this massive google search for RP sites. I tried a few and eventually ended up here! RPN was one of the more active sites I found, and it seemed pretty open to creativity. Plus the community was really cool, everyone was really kind and welcoming!

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out most?

The most unique RP I've ever done was one on here, I think it was called Drive? It was sooo long ago. Anyway, the concept was that there's this massive race across the US, competing for both fame and fortune. All the characters were of an archetype (there was a rich, snobby dude, a tomboyish girl, a tech geek, mine was the snotty princess daughter of a big mob boss) and the car each person drove was predetermined, to fit with their persona. It was amazing fun because the characters were meant to be a bit trope-y, so we went wild with their personalities and the drama. That was really refreshing. Also, more than the premise, what made it unique was that it was pretty true to the cars (we were all assigned real ones, with realistic specs and everything). I loved that the GM has put so much effort into creating the environment of the RP and given real thought to each character, especially the cars.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?

I'm not sure if I have one specific fondest moment. My favourite thing in general is when I create a character and they finally come together in my head. Usually I think of the facets of my character in parts (appearance, history, personality, etc.), so when it all finally clicks in my head and I make their CS, it's such a satisfying feeling! Sorta related - finding the perfect face claim. When you finally find that one face claim you've spent the last hour and a half looking for, it's magic.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?

Oh geez, am I qualified to give advice? My biggest tip isn't directly related to RPing, but it's to be kind and humble. We all start somewhere, and helping the community grow will only benefit everyone in the long run! Plus, it helps to make friends. I'm constantly learning from and collaborating with the awesome people I've met on RPN.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?

My biggest pet peeves are mostly about writing quality. I know I just said to be humble, but it's distracting for me when I'm reading something and notice a lot of spelling mistakes or lack of punctuation or something. We all make mistakes (me, most of all!), but I try to maintain a decent standard, for my own sanity. Another big one for me, but only really in my own writing, is using the same word multiple times in a short period. (For example: I just ate that just now. She was just over there. Didn't you just get here? Just go already.) It drives me crazy, but somehow I keep managing to do it!

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?

I don't have anything in mind quite yet! I think for now I want to find a dedicated group that I could create something for. I'm always open to ideas! They say 'write what you know', but I'm more of a 'know what you write' type. I think I could get into writing about anything, so long as others are into it as well.

Congratulations
12487.jpg

avira avira !

Featured Artist

This month's creativity nomination would have to be LucidHowl LucidHowl 's digital art thread. Their digital skills have blown us away with an amazing mixture of animals and breathtaking scenery!

engraved_in_torchlight_by_lucidhowl-dapkl2x.png

Congratulations
48273.jpg

LucidHowl LucidHowl !

Featured Discussion

This month's discussion nomination goes to @WolfSpirit's, 'Your Quotes.' It allows users to post their favourite quotes and share them with other people!

Congratulations
44166.jpg

@WolfSpirit!

yoongi's Recipe of the Month

1mdB1se.png

Necessary ingredients -

• 8 oz chocolate
    • 3 quarters of a cup of whipping cream (must be hot)
    • A pinch of salt
    • 8 oz melted chocolate, for the shells + extra for drizzling the truffles
Optional ingredients -

• Food colouring (oil based)
    • Nuts
    • Cereal (rice crispies, corn flakes)
    • Anything else you would like to decorate/fill the truffles with
Directions
1. Melt the chocolate that will be used for filling the truffles in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the salt and whipping cream, then mix. If you want you can add add some oil-based food colouring (this must be used instead of water based food colouring as water can cause the chocolate to seize), rice krispies, nuts or anything else to the chocolate. Place the ganache mixture in the fridge until chilled, it should have a thick-like texture.

2. Pour the melted chocolate for the shells of the truffles into a mould, preferably silicone as it is easier to get the truffles out of when they're finished freezing. Turn the mould out onto some parchment paper or tin foil and allow any extra pieces of chocolate to drip onto it. Add the remains to a separate bowl to use later on when decorating them. You can also use a knife over the chocolate mould to smooth down the chocolate shells. Place the mould into the freezer until it has hardened. This should take 15 to 25 minutes.

3. Take the mould out of the freezer and let it cool for about 30 seconds, then grab the ganache mixture(s) and spoon them equally into the truffles. After this, seal them up with the spare melted chocolate.

4. Unmould the truffles and drizzle with the spare melted chocolate. You can then also add decorations if desired, depending on the occasion or event you're attending.

Enjoy! If you're not eating them straight away, make sure to store them in the fridge. Don't leave them for too long as they contain cream which can go bad after a while. (:

yoongi's Song of the Month

This song, '365 FRESH' by a collaboration group named Triple H has climbed the charts with it's groovy and funky spin of 90's nostalgic music. Give it a listen!

Ending Thoughts

Thank you all for reading this month's newsletter! I worked really hard on it and so did the featured members in this post in making RpN a better and brighter place. Please wait for next month's issue! ~ C cupidcreep

:D

I don't think I've ever read a newsletter for the site. This was really good and entertaining! I'm glad I tried it ^^

An excellent newsletter! :D And a congrats to all featured!

Really tempted to send in an app to avira avira 's HP roleplay. Been on an HP binge, rewatched all the movies but I'm currently in a weekly dice one with ApfelSeine ApfelSeine on Tuesdays using a custom dice system made by Lord of Chaos Lord of Chaos

So so tempted.

avira avira Congrats on getting featured C:.

Not even memeing here, Wizard, but DO IT!

Users who are viewing this thread