RpN Monthly: March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fellows

The One Account to Rule Them All

RpNation Crest.png

RpN Monthly : MARCH 2015

Ello, Lovelies!

You may notice that the name of the Newsletter has changed! After much discussion, the Fellows of the site have decided that our Newsletter was less about News on the site, and more about the monthly on-goings. Therefore, we now have the RpN Monthly!

Also, you’ll notice that next to RPotM, we now have character of the month!! This character will be chosen from the RPotM, and it’s a special feature to showcase the wonderful work done by our users.

We have a lot of exciting things to bring you this month, and I really hope you enjoy the selection! As always, new ideas are welcome. If you have any ideas that you believe that we should consider for inclusion in a future Newsletter, please send me a PM, and I'll run it by the Fellows!

Many Hearts~

~ @Darth Pai
[/size][/size]​

[/justify][/border][/fieldset][/column][/row]

RpN Features

Book of the Month

It's not for everyone, but after essentially single-handedly inventing Cyberpunk in Neuromancer, William Gibson went on to collaborate with Bruce Sterling to bring us @Dusky

Shamrock

Smooth colour of green,

Fields of rustling leaves of three,

I hope that ain't ivy.

@Aldur Forgehammer

Untitled Works:

Three leaves for three months

Deep into a brand new year

Yet I seek four leaves.

@Lucyfer

This is not my glass.

My glass was full, you villain.

Give my pint back now.

@Grey

Land O' the Irish

The land O' the leprechauns

Where Rainbows spread wide

@Atom
[/size]

User’s Lucky Moments

In honor of March and St. Patrick's Day, we asked the site users about their lucky moments and the good times the times brought in Real Life. We even included Dice Roleplays to the mix! Here's a taste of what we all dug out from the ole' pot of gold.

• @Prizzy Kriyze , along with his fancifully name character, Elf McElfpants the Elf, managed to roll some of the best rolls of his life and at the best time as well. Being chased by a pack of angry bandits, he manages to save the life of his character from the group of rapscallions via a combination of roof jumping and elf hugging. Read the rest of the entertaining story here!

• @Wuya, while hanging with his friends, got up to quite a few misadventures, their fun antics being something he remembers to this day. From ringing doorbells to writing words onto snowy hood of a truck, his tales are a battle of bad and good luck with the good, thankfully, prevailing each time! Read the full details of his lucky hijinks here!

• @White Masquerade loves a good song, but this certain time she was craving a certain rhythm, a certain beat, a certain song, but she couldn't find it anywhere! With her mood out of whack the whole day from not getting to hear it, to the point where she even dreamed of the song, it took a little luck to bring her to the right place, at the right time. Listen to the rest of the awesome story here!

• @DamagedGlasses has some problems with sleeping in school, and while its usually harmless, there was a time that it happened during a test. Rushing around after waking up, it was only due to the good luck of his teacher's whim that he was saved from an unfortunate grade. Lets all hope that the luck went deep enough that he doesn't do that again! Read the entire frantic story here!

If you want to see them all, head on over
    here!

Site Updates

(Update) RPotM and MotM

It’s back!! After it disappeared during the merger last year, the Member of the Month and Roleplay of the Month is back. The features will be presented in the monthly newsletter, and this update displays what criteria is used to pick them. Congrats to those that receive this honor!

(Update) Roleplay Rights Revision

After a bit of confusion, the Roleplay Rights were revised. They now have their own thread and it’s advised that every GM read these to be familiar with what rights they are entitled to for when they create a roleplay. While this information isn’t new, it’s now organized in a such a manner that there should be limited confusion for what a GM can do. It even explains under what matters Staff will become involved with a roleplay dispute.

(Update) Rules & Courtesy Guidelines

The rules have been revised to be more comprehensive and to widen understand for what the site’s rules mean. There are now only 5 Rules, and 7 Courtesy Guidelines. There is even an added section for the ban appeal process.

(Update) Real Time Private Conversations

After we lost our new trail chat system, it seemed that many users still wished to have the real time conversations. Well, the compromise given by the staff is an update to a system we already have, our PMs (aka conversations). Now the posts within PMs happen in real time much like the previous chat PMs.

(Important) Warning System Information

To clear up some confusion, there is now a thread detailing how our warning system works. Hopefully, this will avoid any confusion when it comes to how issues are handled by staff..

~

@Auren

Although February may be the shortest month, it certainly did not disappoint in the role play department, where ideas blossomed and role plays continued to run. After much forethought and some sneaking on my part, I found this 'gem' of a role play in the Fantasy section. Despite it's slice of life aspects in the school it is based around, there is many things fantastical about this role play. Showing off the prefix system, I think this role play shows the different range of responses and roleplays that can fit into the 'casual' tag. February's lovely Roleplay of the Month is..

Précieux Academy: The Gemholders

And now some words from the GM:

What inspired you to start RPing? Was there someone in particular who helped you grow, or did you learn on your own?

When I was younger, my favorite thing in the world was going outside and playing pretend. I would create this whole fantasy world around myself and pretend I was this super amazing warrior woman...in a way, that's what roleplaying is, isn't it? Once I turned thirteen, it was suddenly socially unacceptable for a teenager to go out and swing around a stick pretending it was a sword, so I started to look for online roleplaying websites. Granted, when I first started, I sucked. BAD. But I was determined.

I got to the point where I was writing thousands of words a day and eventually, I started to get good enough to roleplay with some pretty talented writers...and the best part is, they actually thought that I was talented, too. Those are the people who I have to thank. Those are the people who helped me grow. Those are the people who helped me realize my passion for writing.

Where did you come up with the idea for your roleplay?

Believe it or not, I was watching an episode of Steven Universe when I had the idea. I remember it vividly...I was sitting on the couch, sipping on some cranberry juice when I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if those gem things existed in real life? What if they did? What would happen?"

And then I had an epiphany.

I called up one of my RpN buddies on Skype and we immediately began to brainstorm. For days we deliberated, always changing our minds and coming up with new ideas. It was chaos, and there was even I point where I was considering scrapping the idea.

Eventually, I decided that I wanted to do an academy roleplay. Back then, I wondered if I was taking the easy way out by settling for something I knew I was good at, but I realized later that it was the right decision. Besides, if you're good at something, you should go for it!

What is the first RP you remember being a part of?

The first roleplay that I was ever apart of was about these people with superpowers. I don't remember too much about it, it was about three years ago, afterall. Granted, it wasn't the best writing I've ever done, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. I owe my love of supernatural writing to that roleplay!

the100_040214_1600.jpg

Character of the Month

We have a wonderful RotM this time around and with that said, we also have a really neat set of Characters the Roleplayers taking part of it have made to use. Each one is enjoyable in its own way and has its high points throughout, however one stands out in particular. With a refined and enjoyable writer's voice all throughout the course of the sheet, with little quotes from the character himself, this gem has a very interesting background, one that really hooks you in.

This Character is none other than Ezekial David Amm, who has a great compiled list of Likes and Dislikes, each one thoroughly explained and given reasons for. There are very few conflicts with personality and preferences, and all around, the Sheet is very nicely done. @SkyGinge, the Roleplayer for this character, has done an awesome job. The power of the character is also very intriguing, the idea and premise behind it giving a lot of creative room for thought, as well as an original base that I don't commonly see.

SkyGinge has really put some effort into him, and I recommend you take a look.

What is your favorite part of planning an RP? World building, character building or plot building?

CHARACTER BUILDING! Whether it's creating an elaborate character sheet, coming up with fantastic villains, or writing random NPCs, the character creation process is by far my favorite part of planning any roleplay. I mean, try having a roleplay with a completely flat antagonist. I love coming up with incredibly complicated personalities for all of the NPCs in my roleplays...it just adds so much to the overall experience, in my opinion. You'd be surprised how big of an impact that smallest details can have on the outcome of your roleplay!

What would you say is your greatest strength when it comes to writing? And your greatest weakness?

I think my greatest strength would definitely be my ability to create a variety of incredibly diverse characters. I always put a little piece of myself in my characters, which is why, I think, they always seem like real people.

As for my greatest weakness...it's probably the fact that I am such a perfectionist that I can never get any work done. It takes me forever to write a single paragraph, and I will go on thirty minute long treks across Google searching for that one word that fits the sentence just right. People hate me for it...

Do you have any advice for other GMs on the site?

Stay beautiful. *wink*

What are you planning for your next RP masterpiece?

I've actually been planning on doing a sequel for Précieux Academy: The Gemholders after it's finished! All I can say is...you better be ready to fight…

Do you have any lucky charms?

Is mayonnaise a lucky charm?

Speaking of Lucky Charms... What is your favorite cereal?

Reese's Puffs all the way. Can't start my day without a bowl of R-double-E-S-E-S.

February, despite it's constraints, has proven to be an active month for members to really start shining. Though many stepped forward, one in particular stood out. February's member has been a delight to look over as they kept themselves active, gave warm welcomes and open arms to new members, and even offer a hand in answering questions anyone had. They've also taken an active habit of wanting to help improve our site, offering suggestions when they arise, and adding their thoughts to even some of the smaller changes on the sites on how they like it or we could make it better. We are more than pleased to welcome this member into the "Hall of Monthly Fame," and are proud to say that February's wonderful Member of the Month is…

20184.jpg

@Kaerri!!

And now some words from the MotM:

What are some hobbies you enjoy, besides roleplaying?

Reading (generally sci-fi/fantasy, mysteries, and Jane Austen/Georgette Heyer-style romances) and video games, mostly. I don't watch a lot of TV, but there are a few shows I've liked well enough to get on DVD or Blu-Ray, primarily Star Trek (the original series, though I'm hoping to get DS9 someday), MacGyver, Burn Notice, and BBC's Brother Cadfael series (the books they're based on are a favorite of mine).

If you could have one superpower what would it be? Why?

Flying. With wings, with telekinesis, I don't care - I'd just love to fly!

What is, in your opinion, the best thing you've ever written?

Hmm. I don't do a lot of "formal" writing. As far as RP goes, I think I do my best writing when I can really get inside the character's head and let them do the writing.

What is one of your favorite books and why?

I like that you ask "one of"! I find it hard to pick a single favorite, given that there are so many good books out there. One of my favorite series is Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe, and one of my favorites within that is Scout's Progess. I feel I must say, though, that if you're thinking of reading that series - go for publication order, not internal chronology. Without giving too much away, there's some people whose fates I'm happy I knew before I got attached to them, so it didn't upset me when I came across it as it happened. I get attached to characters very easily! And Lee & Miller write some great ones - I get attached even knowing what's going to happen to them, because they're just that appealing. Which, itself, is the answer to "why" - I love great characters and great characterization, and there's a lot of wonderful people to love in the Liaden books, plus a fascinating setting and some really nice storytelling.

Do you have any pets?

Yes, our adorable fluffy kitty, Blue! She gets pretty hyper sometimes, but we love her all the same, even when she's trying to wake us up in the middle of the night...

If you could do only one of the following things, which would you choose and why? Scuba diving with sharks, illustrating a Sunday morning comic, driving a Safari jeep through the African Plains or drinking tea with any British author, dead or alive?

Drinking tea with a British author, certainly! The hard part is picking just one. Anne McCaffrey, if she counts as British (she was born on the U.S. side of the pond, y'know), or Edith Pargeter (authoress of the above-mentioned Cadfael books, under her Ellis Peters pseudonym). Sadly, neither of those ladies is yet living.

How long have you been roleplaying/writing?

Forevers! It all started with a tabletop D&D game, when one of my best friends brought it out in class after we'd all finished our work for the day. That was many, many years ago, when I was but a schoolgirl.

What is the earliest character you can remember creating? Did you like the character? Do you still?

The earliest one I remember was a D&D rogue named Kerry. (Spelling has been changed over the years.) She got put into several games before I finally got to one that lasted longer than a single afternoon. I love her. <3 She's the longest-played character I have, even without counting all the MMOs I drag her into, and now I use that name for my online identity as well.

You see three Camels. One is buying ice skates, one a blow torch and one a bulk bag of beef jerky . Where are they going and what are they going to do when they get there?

Boston Harbor, to do some ice-fishing. For sharks, y'know, hence the beef jerky - regular bait just doesn't cut it. Camels have a secret fondness for shark-meat, but they rarely get the opportunity because they can't swim, so they're afraid to go out in boats. Ice-fishing is perfect for them, because they can use the blow-torch to cut a hole just the right size to keep them from falling in. And to roast the meat over, of course.

Interviews conducted by

@Elle Joyner

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh! Well that was an unexpected and pleasant surprise! :') Thanks very much for the accolade (though I'm positive there are better characters even within the RP than mine :') ), and well done to everybody else who was featured! Just wondering though, do I not get an interview? ;)

SkyGinge said:
Ooh! Well that was an unexpected and pleasant surprise! :') Thanks very much for the accolade (though I'm positive there are better characters even within the RP than mine :') ), and well done to everybody else who was featured! Just wondering though, do I not get an interview? ;)
Sadly, no. Since the character is choosen from a single entity, instead of being a site-wide search, it's seen more as a stand-alone feature/honor.

Well, well, well.

Um, I mean: *woof woof woof*

You guys make me glad to be still alive (:3). It is motivational to see that my words defy the passing of time. And Maker knows I can use the motivation in these dark times *howl*

/searches name "Oh" /leaves

Joke LOL. I read the whole thing, congrats to those who got mentioned!!

This is me (Kaerri's man) being very happy and proud of my lady! Go, Kaerri-chu! =)

This is also me being very proud and happy for good ol' @Wolf Rawrrr! Talk about a friendly and creative fellow with a warm heart and terrific personality! Hooray for our Wonderful Wolf and his world, Amaranth! *Awooooooooooooo!!*

Honor and fun,

Dann =)

Dusky said:
Ingredients acquired. Workspace requires a good scrubdown though. -___-
Post pics if it comes out alright!!

Oh, crap, I forgot vanilla extract! -hurriedly checks suitemates' cabinets cause they won't miss it right?!-

I just now found out this existed... It's really awesome ( :) ) Good to see everyone getting along so well on this website. Congratulations to everyone the editors and the members, it's nice to see you all succeeding and making yourself officially famous on the wall! ( :D ) Gratz!

Last edited by a moderator:
These are fun to read, thanks for putting the RpN Monthlys together! Lovely job and congrats to all featured members ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread