Viewpoint RP vs writing?

Do y’all mostly find social connections through 1x1 RPs or group RPs?

(And do you communicate through the site or offsite, via Discord?)

I mostly communicate through discord tbh, but not with any rps from here yet

Social connections : I personally found groups to be hit or miss with this, so overall I would say 1x1s are easier to form social connections over the years.

Communication : whatever my partner is comfortable with, if the site is acting buggy I will offer an offline contact just in case but usually I just go with whatever my partner requests.

NO SOCIAL CONNECTIONS BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS ONLY

Sorry, real answer is that I think personally it can be easier to build up a circle of friends through group RPs simply on the merit of there being more people involved.

In terms of communication, for me 1x1-related communication usually happens over on-site PMs while group RP communication mainly happens on Discord.

I enjoy the collaboration element of roleplaying because the other participant has different ideas which can lead the story into a direction that you might not have considered or might prompt a facet of your character that you never thought about.

There are two main things I seek in roleplay that I can’t get in solo writing. The first of these is what brought me to roleplay in the first place: Being able to share the ideas I come up with. I've had a pretty active imagination since young, and so I get a lot of ideas coming to me. I like seeing how to people react to those ideas, seeing how I can develop them or play with my own version of something I like... Its hard to describe but the short of it is I think I like putting the stuff I think of out there.

The second thing would be the friendship and collaboration. It's not necessarily about the surprises or anything like that, I'm more of a planner anyway. But getting to build something both myself and someone else love is an absolutely wonderful thing, and making friends along the way, cliche though it might sound, is an even better thing. One of the reasons why I just love RPN as much as I do is because of the amazing community it has, which really cements the value this hobby has to me.

Both of these combine in one of the things I most love doing in roleplay- reading my partner's response. In particular, the part of the response dealing with how their character reacts to my character's actions, both in how they perceive that and what they do in response. It's one of the main things that I always look forward to in RP, and it can also make or break my interest. I find that generally speaking if a partner is giving me weak responses to or not really caring about what my character is doing I tend to want to leave that RP behind- but interesting responses can really hook me and make me hype about the whole thing. It's one of the reasons why I want detailed posts so much, as they have room for those more invested and elaborate reactions.

A lot of people have already said what I would say. Though I'll throw in; Group RPs in particular, when they take off, can be utterly engrossing due to their random nature. You never know what kind of characters yours will be interacting with, and theres been more than a few days where I lazily check a group RP I'm in and wonder;

"Whats going on today?"
"Oh, everythings on fire and the turtle man has a gun--"
"WHY IS EVERYTHING ON FIRE AND WHY DOES THE TURTLE MAN HAVE A GUN!?"

You're all too eager to jump in and just, get involved in the chaos, get swept away by the moment in a moment of immersion despite its lunacy. Its a feeling that regular writing just doesnt have, heck even reading fails to give you that sense of chaos, except maybe House of Leaves given you never know what you'll see turning the page of that monster.

I like to rp because it gives me more organic reactions between characters. Plus, its just fun to build a world, story, and characters with another person. So, for me, its because its fun, as well as a good way to help me avoid cliches in character interaction once I go back into my individual writings.

Actual writing is usually better than RP writing, because there's less passivity in the narrative. You can show more/tell less, as you fluidly weave characters and scenes together. Because of that, RP writing is objectively worse than actual writing, and can impart bad habits to aspiring authors. With that said, RP writing is very fun. I enjoy the hell out of it, because of the character interactions and unpredictability. But when you ask about RP writing vs normal writing, the latter has better flow.

The best middleground is collab posting and smaller groups. For the 1x1 people, collab posting is when group RP members build a post with short entries. That mimics normal writing, albeit with different writing styles for each character. You can also make small groups within a larger RP, I prefer 5 characters or less. I try to keep groups in my RP from exceeding that, because large groups force characters into passivity as post circles progress. And that's how you end up writing bloviated posts with observation after observation, which isn't fun to write.

Last edited:
Rp is very motivating to me because I can’t always predict what’s going to happen next. I generally come from rp sessions feeling satisfied rather than discouraged, which isn’t always the case with my personal writing.

I also believe rp helps me explore character development and develop better writing. I’m motivated to give my partners good, juicy scenes while in my own I tend to rush to get to the parts I’m excited about. Rp has taught me to take my time.

In short, it doubles as both excellent practice and a fun hobby!

I pretty much agree with everyone on collaborating. For me, it's the feedback that you get after you write a great scene! I love writing so I also get lost in details and try to imagine the scene in my head. In the response, when you get those details aknowledged - it's like a huge boost of happiness! Plus, finding inspiration that you wouldn't normally have when you're writing along also helps! Like if I see/read a cool sentence structure or a clever use of metaphors. Those are great! :D

The main advantage to roleplay, to me, is relatively rapid and consistent feedback. For writing, I only really got that when I was enrolled in writing courses, and the focus was more-so on identifying mistakes rather than giving praise. You have to be incredibly self-disciplined to write something alone, I find, because it may end up being that you're the only reader. For me, while I adore writing, I do need some sort of feedback or I will lose interest.

A huge benefit to writing alone, though, is the chance I get to make multiple drafts. I do glance over my rp responses at least twice, both with an editor program and by reading it, but a solo work I go over, on average, around 10 times and have multiple drafts. I average a new draft about once every two or three days. Thus, my final project typically takes 2-4 weeks; most roleplay partners are not going to tolerate this. Of course, my solo projects are also typically over 20 pages, and that is not fitting for a roleplay response (especially with heavy dialogue between your character and your partner's character).

My style doesn't change much depending on if the writing is collaborative or solo. My solo works may have slightly less dialogue because I can go to town on descriptions without boring the person trying to find something to actually respond to. Rarely do I focus on just one character even in a roleplay, because that feels less realistic to me and hyper-focused on one person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back