Experiences RP Things you miss that the community no longer does!

Echopixel

Magical Tearoom
So this is kind of a nostalgia thread for those who have RP'd a long ass time. What are something things that were done / used / were common place back in the day, that are no longer done / used / or aren't common anymore that you really miss?

- IM RPing (I mean we got Discord, but like that is it, there aren't as many commonly used IMs anymore!!)
- Forgot one . . . chatrooms . . . I mean this is like nostalgia more than anything else, but damn did I have fun chatroom RPS! >D

Last edited:
Character blogs. When someone writes an entire blog from the point of view of the character and interacts with other characters through the blog. Kinda like tumblr style rp, but tumblr style rp is usually just interactions, and I mean the actual blogging as a character. Things like "I woke up, had a strategic meeting, killed a person, went to sleep." Just better written (hopefully) XDD
I believe it still exists but I don't think it's as common as it used to be.

Chatrooms... yes, I kinda agree on that. I used to be a member of a chatroom where you could only rp and not talk about general matters. If you wanted to talk about irl you had to PM. It had tons of mary sue characters and somewhat of a common setting that the characters had to comply with to be accepted into this chatroom.
I don't think I would want to rp like this right now, but it was certainly fun some time ago.

Last edited:
Chatrooms... yes, I kinda agree on that. I used to be a member of a chatroom where you could only rp and not talk about general matters. If you wanted to talk about irl you had to PM. It had tons of mary sue characters and somewhat of a common setting that the characters had to comply with to be accepted into this chatroom.
I don't think I would want to rp like this right now, but it was certainly fun some time ago.
Yeah totally, I have real nostalgic feelings for it and it's a good memory, but I agree I couldn't RP that way anymore. I do have great stories from that time though! >D

Character Blogs make me think of IC Character Journals, probably a similar or the same concept, but we used them as IC tools to tell part of the RP. So there would be the IC posts, then somewhere in them you'd link to a related journal entry.

We even had call logs cellphone conversations related to the IC post, but no necessary to read. It was grand.

Yeah it seems a similar concept. Character blogs were a part of the rp. or even THE rp, there were multiple characters that could interact through their blogs.

We even had call logs cellphone conversations related to the IC post, but no necessary to read. It was grand.
just... wow XD

I definitely really enjoy the character journals E Echopixel mentioned, though I'm not sure if they are gone at all. I haven't seen one in a long long time, but then again when I saw them it was on a site operating under a totally different system. Plus I'm not sure if I qualify as "having RPed for a long ass time" when it's only been some 7 years for me

just... wow XD
Man it was awesome. The site we were on didn't have fancy coding so we make graphics to mimic the appearance of a cell screen. It was sick an efficient and clean way of providing exposition without digging down the road story, mission details or just side info about a character and their relationships.

It has been 11 years since I have ever gotten a chance to so something like that. I feel like people either don't have the time or just think it's overtly complicated to throw in elements like that into an RP. But they can make all the difference for emersion sometimes.

Either way I miss it a lot.

Hmmm... I guess just the pure amount of rps I used to see and be a part of. I guess I was like only in a bunch of one/two liners. But I remember being able to handle 10 rps during school breaks. And they were so active! Some of the groups I was in had 15+ members.

It's not like I feel like rps are dying, I just feel like they are starting to focus only on 1x1 which makes me sad.

God, I can't believe I'm saying this.

The ** roleplaying? When you didn't know any better? The ol'

*walks up to u* Hey there XD *Pets ur arm*

God, I hate it now, but I RPed like that for a brief time.

Or the edgy usernames? Like Dark_Lord_1911?

Hmmm... I guess just the pure amount of rps I used to see and be a part of. I guess I was like only in a bunch of one/two liners. But I remember being able to handle 10 rps during school breaks. And they were so active! Some of the groups I was in had 15+ members.

It's not like I feel like rps are dying, I just feel like they are starting to focus only on 1x1 which makes me sad.
Lol same. I much prefer 1x1s because groups are too stressful for me now, but... I miss groups, I miss GMing, and I miss really fast one-liner RPs in which people replied constantly.
I don't like those types of RPs anymore, but I miss the days where I did enjoy them. I feel like it was a mark of carefree childhood, and now everything is so much more mature and stressful (not merely RPs, but life in general). I guess I'm saying those types of RPs remind me of a simpler time that I wish I could go back to. :')
Sure, they sucked. Everyone that participated in them was around 10 to 12 years old. Nobody wrote very well. Mary Sues abounded. But we didn't know any better, and it was fun anyway.

Commitment to group efforts. Unless you get that fiercely dedicated player count, more than likely your RP will get ghosted into oblivion, at some points by those who express interest and make a CS, but that's it. I was able to maintain 5 group RPs at once and hit them all to completion, telling fantastic stories whether or not it ended up incoherent when put together. Fun was the name of the game and we had it

Nowadays, 1x1 is the only place to get any commitment and even then you're still prone to the lack of commitment. I LONG for a good group RP, but ghosting is just too much now. I don't really mind it in 1x1, but when you sell an idea and 12 people express interest, then all just ghost, it's really disheartening.

Commitment to group efforts. Unless you get that fiercely dedicated player count, more than likely your RP will get ghosted into oblivion, at some points by those who express interest and make a CS, but that's it. I was able to maintain 5 group RPs at once and hit them all to completion, telling fantastic stories whether or not it ended up incoherent when put together. Fun was the name of the game and we had it

Nowadays, 1x1 is the only place to get any commitment and even then you're still prone to the lack of commitment. I LONG for a good group RP, but ghosting is just too much now. I don't really mind it in 1x1, but when you sell an idea and 12 people express interest, then all just ghost, it's really disheartening.

I have an idea for a group RP I'm considering proposing. I just hope I can stick around, considering I just disappeared for a couple months lol.

Back in around 2007-2010 there were huge thematic fan forums that held games for a few dozen people. We had forums with locations, and these 20+ people all took part in a huge literature story narrated by admins and mods, moved through locations via ending posts with a link to said location, and had all sorts of weird encounters and generally had fun. I miss those things.

Event threads and ooc thread games.

Event threads would be a totally separate and short lived IC thread that would be dedicated to a specific event in universe. The ones I remember seeing the most were like Carnival style event or sometimes brief fighting tournaments. It was always really fun because the GM would make fancy new graphics for the event thread, everyone would sign up to take part, and they would go through this super short story before getting back to the main action.

OOC thread games were really fun. I was the OOC event coordinator of a thread once and I would come up with monthly activities that people could do in the OOC to keep them active and talking to everyone else. I think gif interviews where my favorite game, where you wrote out questions that players had to answer via gifs as their characters.

So ex. What is your ideal vacation ? I would put a gif of a beach party because my character liked going to the beach.

Chat rooms. Used to be in a lot of yahoo chat rooms before yahoo disbanded that.

I enjoyed yahoo games as well before that got shut down. Used to play the pool a lot from 18 to whenever.

I second the group rp! I hate HP. When I switched my clover hills to HP everyone dropped out within few short months. No, never again! I feel like whenever I join a group rp it dies quickly afterwards. I am getting into 1x1 rps now because of that so still don’t do much as nobody seems to share my interests. Like my IRL experiences.

I feel like rps are dying. This site doesn’t feel a whole lot active and there seems to be a huge lack of commitment to rping.

Or rps that never take off cause the GM never posts/disappears without warning. Had that happen before.

Oh my lord. So I've been going over my old threads from 2004 - 2009 on a different forum. You know what I really miss, simple roleplays, and I genuinely mean "here is a plot, a little BG information" but nothing crazy detailed. I miss, honest to god miss being able to post a plot and go "make characters let's roleplay" and then tell a story.

I feel like RPing, specifically in groups, is such a chore and it's so hard to win people over. You have to have a plot and background information and details on details. By the time you're done writing your RP you just don't feel like writing a post. It's exhausting.

I miss coming up with a simple, easy plot that is a paragraph or two long and just RPing.

246DAMW.png
I don't know if this is just something less popular, but I loved flash events in group RPs. Just a side thing that happens to occupy the players, usually when the main thread is a bit slow or you're waiting on someone to reply and you know they'll take a bit. I just enjoyed the side events that would happen they were good team building, character developing and sometimes totally random OOCish but fun things to keep the group tight!

Last edited:
I’ve been roleplaying for almost 20 years and I miss a lot of things!

Well made intro posts
Well written posts in general, the group I grew up with was very literate and everyone was expected to follow suit.
There were absolutely no one liners or posts less than 200 characters.
I miss the selection, I feel like there isn’t as much as far as RPs to choose from anymore
No one wants to commit to long term, people say they do and then ghost.
I grew up doing a lot of Quad roleplays and now I don’t even see them anymore unless they’re Warriors.

i'm sure some still do this, but man do i kinda miss script style roleplaying. it was how i started and, even tho it's a lot less detailed than paragraphs, it was also a lot easier to write for that reason

I miss the days of roleplay communities where ranting over politics and religion earned you a one way ticket to banville.

I miss the selection, I feel like there isn’t as much as far as RPs to choose from anymore
246DAMW.png
I mean if RPN is your own source of finding RPs then yes I can totally see why you'd find a lack of options. However, if you use other sources you have a far greater selection; this includes forum and non-forum based RP communities.

246DAMW.png
I mean if RPN is your own source of finding RPs then yes I can totally see why you'd find a lack of options. However, if you use other sources you have a far greater selection; this includes forum and non-forum based RP communities.

Rp nation it what I’ve been using but I’m looking for more Discord RPs

One thing I've noticed the community isn't as strong in anymore is that the Quest RP's don't have as much an audience anymore... There used to be a lot of people participating in them a few years back, but when I made another one recently there's hardly anyone in that subforum... It's kinda sad :(

on god? chatzy. dont @ me but it was a super easy way to do in-character rps/script roleplays and i have some nice memories of it outside of the vast majority of weird chatzy pages. i remember making my own for my friends and i to rp occasionally. i also joined one as a joke (it was some big ironic one) in 2016 with my bf and it was super fun, i really miss that sort of thing where there were lots of quick, dynamic, and easy to find rps, now it feels like half the battle is getting into one at all and its more energy consuming than it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back