• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

RP Points (or "Uncle Dave's Way)

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Folks, this is the thread your experience point awards will wind up in.  But we're not going about it the typical way...  =)

True Story: Back around the year 2000, Dave Arneson (co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons) was looking for some players to play-test the brand-new, upcoming third edition of Dungeons and Dragons. He had with him lots of photocopied papers and folders (D&D 3.0 wasn't even in book form yet), and he was hungry for feedback and opinions. It was here that we got to RP with good ol' "Uncle Dave" for some time. Among our discussions was Experience Points. Come to find out, he and I handled them in a very similar manner. I would like to award Experience Points here the same way we do on our tabletop game - by using RP Points.

RP Points are about as simple a method as I have ever seen. At our tabletop games, it works like this: Every time you show up for a game and play, you get an RP point. You need 10 (at your character's current level) to get to the next level. Once you start getting higher level, you'll need more, but you'll always get one just for playing.  This game will be told in chapters and each of you will receive a number of RP points at the end of each chapter.  

This method is also one terrific time-saver for your Storyteller...

RP rewards.  There are times when I feel someone has really done something that has added to the game, and when that happens, I tend to award that PC with an additional RP point. Also, other players are always welcome to approach me and kindly ask to award another player with an additional RP point (for something fantastic they have done that added to the game somehow).  I am aware that this form of experience rewarding can be subject to abuse, but so far, no one in my games has yet tried (must be because our RP team has the kind of people that you don't have to worry about that with - a fact I appreciate deeply).

So, if one of your fellow players does something that you really appreciate or think is just plain awesome, send me a private message and I'll see about rewarding them in this way.  I really enjoy using RP points because they work, they're simple, and they remind me of "Uncle Dave". He was just as fun-loving and geeky as the rest of us, and I miss him. =)

P.S. I can also award Action Points, too (as was done in our pre-Broadsword private message when Sherwood was the first to get me the missile-related data I needed).  =)

Roleplay Point History:

4 Awarded for excellence in Character Creation.

11 Awarded for Prologue RP, Chapter One: Binary Nexus, and bonus RP points gained during play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, there was a tremendous reply to our private message conversation concerning character creation, concerns, or just plain silliness.  You guys, thus far, have put quite a lot of effort into creating your characters, communicating with me, and helping each other out and I think that deserves something.

So...  Each of your characters, prior to start, does not begin with zero RP Points, but instead with 4.  This means you need only 6 more (instead of 10) to reach 2nd level.  This includes everyone including The Dark Wizard; I am including him because Real Life cut into his gameplay and I don't think it's fair to dock him for it.  Not only was DWiz not able to chat with us and partake in the fun of our private conversation, but he had to deal with his Real Life issues on top of that.  So, he gets the bonus too.  =)

So, please jot that down on your character sheet and enjoy the Hosted Project!  =)

@Sherwood @Captain Hesperus @Psychie @Kaerri

Guys, I had a terrific time roleplaying with you in each of your Prologues! Plus, Chapter One: Binary Nexus was even more fun than I was hoping! On top of that, each of you displayed excellent roleplaying and Player skills that earned up bonus RP. So... given the combination of these three elements, each of your characters has been awarded 11 RP points (a new record!). =)

This firmly puts your characters at 15 RP points in grand total. Your characters are now 2nd level with 5 more RP points to go toward 3rd level.

As always, thank you for being part of RP Nation and part of my (two) games. The joy I get out of doing this surpasses any other computer game I've ever played and you're a large part of that. You guys are a great bunch to roleplay with! May the Good Times continue! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Last edited:
Between your various posts, it seems that all we need now is to get our Hit Point rolls for 2nd level, along with any SDC bonus rolls we might have from whatever skills we pick up.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Psychie Psychie Epiphany Epiphany Kaerri Kaerri Sherwood Sherwood

Heya friends! Good times, great roleplaying, and working together have earned you up 10 RP Points - enough to place each of you at 3rd level! As usual, you'll need to:
1. Roll d6 to add to your character's hit points.
2. Increase your O.C.C. level to 3.
3. Add your level bonus to each of your character's skills.
4. Add your character's Martial Art bonuses from their selected system
5. Add one bonus Attribute (be sure to point out which this is - see Shop Talk for details!)
6. Select one skill from any category (as long as your character qualifies - again, see Shop Talk for details).

Any questions? Shoot them my way as always. =)

Congrats, you guys! With players like you, the good times do indeed roll! =)

EDIT: Fixed a typo on #1 (should have been "hit points", not "experience points."). =)

Last edited:
I am planning on adding Gymnastics to Mario's skill list, so I'll be needing a 1d6 for hit points and 2d6 for SDC when you have the time.

Can do!

Would you mind providing any additional character advancement questions or comments in Fat Gandalf's? This way, everyone will literally be on the same page. =)

Heya gang! Congratulations!

Chapter 3 saw a ton of good role-playing, action, and teamwork all in the spirit of the game. You've earned another 10 RP points which puts each of your characters smack in the middle of level 4!

For your new level you get to add the following to each of your characters. Please place this information in a posted reply on your Character Sheet thread! And this time, you guys get to roll your own hit points (be sure to add any P.E. bonuses to it, too - and per Shop Talk, reroll results of 1)!

1. Roll d6 to add to your character's hit points.
2. Increase your O.C.C. level to 4.
3. Add your level bonus to each of your character's skills.
4. Add your character's Martial Art bonuses from their selected system
5. Add one bonus Attribute (be sure to point out which this is - see Shop Talk for details!)
6. Select one skill from any category (as long as your character qualifies - again, see Shop Talk for details).

Any questions? Shoot them into Fat Gandalf's Bar and Lounge - Chapter Four. And thanks for being so much fun to rp with, friends!

Nice going, Gang!

You've chalked up another 10 RP points! Say goodbye to the Zeki-Zentraedi Assault Scout and hello to a new chapter to Robotech: Broadsword.

Welcome to 5th level (well, 5.5 to be precise)! Here's a link to my Leveling Guide.

Please post any questions, etc. in Fat Gandalf's! My alerts for this site have been wonky so that's where I'll be looking for them.

Please show your character bonuses as Replies to your character sheets.

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Congrats again, Gang! Each of your characters has earned 11 RP Points, enough to launch you into 6th level! You have earned a grand total of 56 RP Points, which means you're 4 points away from 7th level. In other news, Cera went from 2nd level to 4th (by way of gaining 12 RP points for her level difference; it was just enough to give her what she needed for 4th level). =)

Here's the link for my Leveling Guide - happy leveling, Gang! You deserve it! =)

Kaerri Kaerri Sherwood Sherwood Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon D. Rex D. Rex

Ha ha ha! Do you realize it's been almost 17 months since you were last awarded RP Points? 7 May 2019. That's when Chapter 6: All Hands on Deck went live. Also, Sil and D. Rex joined us in here waaay back in December of 2019. Ahhh! This is what you wonderful people get for putting a guy like me in charge! =)

So! Let's get this ball rolling, shall we? I think it's fair to add a few bonus RP Points. Mix nicely, smooth it all out, toss it in the oven at 450 degrees Farenheit for 2 hours, and we get...

...everyone (D. Rex and Sil included) going from 6th level to 8th level with an extra Diamond of Fate for all. Also, take on 5 Technopathy Points, which for some of you, allows you access to Rank 2 Quirks (Sil, D., I'll discuss this with you when you're ready - let me know in Fat Gandalf's Chapter 7). Enjoy, Gang! You deserve it! =)

Our next chapter is aptly named Chapter 7: Full House in large part because I'm not accepting any new players for Broadsword. You guys are enough! Ha ha!

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang!

Chapter Seven saw a great deal of downtime after the Chessel Corporation run in Veracruz, Mexico. Lots of long-held questions were finally answered (including Trouble's origin) and the Wild Cards got to meet the Broo (and they got to meet you)! Mario's long-desired spaghetti was created (team effort!) and enjoyed by all who partook. A Herculean jacket was saved thanks to Scrath-spit (thanks, Iris!). Messages were sent to Wild Card families (that's one fun work in progress there!). Captain Sharp took on leadership duties on the Broadsword for the first time. The remaining crew of Drake's Broadsword were (finally) revived and treated to the aforementioned spaghetti. The Broo returned the favor to the Wild Cards in the ancient traditions of their people (and Mario, the chef himself, had a wild time! Score one for continued human-Broo relations!). We learned a little about Wwarlock's past. The Wild Cards got to meet the Marine Recon Special Ops they'll be working with headed by the unique Scary Jerry. The Wild Cards got a full tour they were promised of the Broadsword. =)

Concerning RP Points, posting became pretty slow in places. While there was fun dialogue as the Wild Cards learned and discovered, there was no combat or use of Technopathy. Still, folks definitely contributed with quality posts here. So, while no Technopathy Points were gained, everyone did gain 7 RP Points bringing you from the base of 8th level to bringing each of you 70% of the way to 9th level.

Good going, Gang! The next chapter pretty much guarantees the Wild Cards hitting 9th level! =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang!

Congrats on reaching 9th level! Each of you (including Kaerri's Eadric as Elinor is no longer in play, so I just had him pick up where she left off) gain 9 RP points bringing your grand totals to 92 RP points (or Character Level 9.2 if you'd rather see it that way). =)

I just had a neat idea - to roll your Characters' Hit Points here! So... *grabs some dice* here we go!

Silanon - Ylva gains 4 Hit Points!
Sherwood - Mario gains 6 hit Points!
Psychie - Toph gains 4 Hit Points!
Kaerri - ( Kaerri Kaerri I'm still rolling the Yellow dice for Eadric unless you specify otherwise). Eadric gains 6 Hit Points!
Cap'n - Herc gains 4 Hit Points!
Mack gains 2 Hit Points (The ol' Makcenzie luck there in the worst possible roll?)
Cera gains 3 Hit Points!
And Trouble is a Mega-damage creature. Don't bother pouting about it, Kitten! You iz MEGA-DAMAGE ALREADY! =) You don't see Iris pouting, do you? Oh. I see. You don't really want to roll a die; you just want to bat one across the floor for your own amusement. I seeeeee. =)

Good rolls, people! =)

Here's the link to the Leveling Guide if anyone needs it. =)
REMINDER: All W.P.s chosen at 1st level go up +1 at this level.
REMINDER: Check your MECT Skills (especially those gained at 1st level) to see if those bonuses also raise.

Last edited:
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang!

Congrats on reaching 10th level! Each of you gain a whopping 12 RP points bringing your grand totals to 104 RP points (or Character Level 10.4) . =)

Technopathy was used in this adventure (and to good effect) netting each PC 6 more Technopathy Points (see our Conversation to upgrade those abilities)!

Time for some Hit Points! *rolls the dice*

Silanon - Ylva gains 5 Hit Points!
Sherwood - Mario gains 2 hit Points (boo...)
Psychie - Toph gains 5 Hit Points!
Kaerri - Eadric gains 6 Hit Points! (He got 6 last time!)
Cap'n - Herc gains 4 Hit Points! (He received 4 last time!)
Mack gains 6 Hit Points! (Nice!)
Cera gains 3 Hit Points (meh)
And Trouble is a Mega-damage creature. Deal with it, you Mewwoo you! =)

Here's the link to the Leveling Guide if anyone needs it. =)
REMINDER: Check your Martial Arts to add your bonuses to your character (Sherwood, Mario gets 1 level of Tae Kwon Do and Muay Thai).
REMINDER: Check your MECT Skills to further enhance your character's prowess in mecha. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back