• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Royal Metanoia {Closed}

Fern was touched by his actions, and stood to press a light kiss to his lips in thanks. She held the photo of him tightly in her hand, and couldn't help smiling throughout the rest of the morning as they dressed and looked over schedules. They shared one more kiss goodbye and the couple went their separate ways. The day was packed, Fern barely had time to breathe.

Finally, after a quick bite to eat in the car, Fern was at rehearsal again. The dancers were the same as the day before, but Fern steadies herself as well as she could. Theodore come over to help her with stretches. His large hands pressed firmly to her center back as she reached her fingers towards her toes.

"How are you today, my lady?" He greeted, his voice soft and melodic.

"I'm alright." She responded. A gasp of air left her lungs as Theo pushed her down to the floor and her chest pressed against the cold floorboards. "How are you, sir Theo?" She asked breathlessly. Finally, he released her, and helped her up before sitting down and spreading his own legs. Fern returned the pressure to his back as he replied, his usually cheery smile intact.

"I'm well, thank you my lady. Getting excited for the show? I'm so envious of the male lead. What I wouldn't give to dance with you." Fern gave a laugh before letting him up.

"You are too kind. I'm nervous to be honest. I want it to go perfectly." Theo grinned at her and pressed an adoring kiss to her knuckles. Fern shifted uncomfortably at the contact and removed her hand as soon as was appropriate.

"It will, my lady." He assured. "You are the most gifted dancer I've yet seen. The performance will be flawless, I promise." Something about the look in his eyes made Fern nervous, but she didn't have time to dwell on it. The director called for group warm ups and they joined the others.
~~~~~~~~~~

Opening night was finally upon them. Fern was too nervous to sleep, barely ate and could feel herself shaking. She hadn't seen Ewan in almost a week--a conference about the laws he'd instated almost a month prior. He'd promised to be front and center at the opening, but his busy schedule was making Fern even more nervous. Though her family was in attendance, she still felt alone without him. He'd sent a massive bouquet of red roses for her dressing room, along with a short card in his messy scrawl.

The orchestra began to play, and Fern fell into her place backstage. Theodore was to play Siegfried tonight, as the main dancer had been injured in a minor car accident only two days prior. Fern worried of Ewan's reaction if he did actually come--she knew he was less than fond of Theodore. All thoughts were swept from her mind as ballet's theme began to play in earnest and the prologue started. She let the thoughts of Odette fill her mind. Fear, anxiety, curiosity, hope. As the ballet progressed, she knew nothing but the stage. After what seemed hours and merely moments, her solo began. The Dying Swan was one of the most difficult solos to preform even passably. Making her arms fluid enough to be wings, mastering the look of utter pain upon her features while still keeping her steps light.

The day of opening night had Ewan wanting to tear out his own hair. Sir Jones shepherded him from place to place, it felt as if the day was far more packed than usual. Unable to help himself Ewan had resorted to a number of joints as the day progressed, his car door opening in a plume of smoke at each new destination.

Smoke, breath mint, spray of perfume, smile on , try not to blink during the barrage of camera flashes. Shake hands, appear interested, don't look at the watch too much. Smile brighter Ewan, come on now.

As the watch ticked on, time trickling slowly closer to the moment he had been desperate for. He missed Fern. He missed her smile and the graceful way she moved. IT had been far too long since he had seen her dance. As the latest event wrapped up Ewan watched with careful eyes as Sir Jones marked a number of things down in his planner. Already he was talking about the next event and what was going to happen.

"Sir Jones, I'm afraid we do not have the time for this. I must be off to the theatre soon. We have only an hour before the show must begin." Ewan frowned at the man.

"Ah yes, I meant to speak to you about that. I think perhaps it might be best if you see the performance tomorrow. We have a few more obligations that cannot be ignored." Sir Jones winced, but turned away to head towards the cars as if the matter was settled. Ewan stared after him in silent shock.

"Absolutely not, my day is done Sir Jones. I will not miss this." Ewan's voice was a few octaves higher than normal. His hand curled to a fist as he steadied himself.

"I'm afraid there is no choice in the matter, My King. These meetings and ceremonies have taken precedence I'm afraid. " Sir Jones did not turn around to address him, but only continued to his own car. The older man opened the door and closed his planner with a purposeful snap. "I am afraid I must insist that you enter your own car. We are running behind." Sir Jones looked pointedly at Ewan. Ewan felt like a toddler about to throw a tantrum, his ears were ringing as Sir Jones climbed into his seat, he was about to close the door when he popped his head out for one more lash. "The Queen knew too well of these struggles, I am ever inspired on how she put her people first." The man closed his door then. The car engine rumbled to life and the headlights blinded him as the car left the curb and moved onto its next destination.

Ewan turned on his heel, and took the few steps to his car. His hand lifted, his fist curled tightly, it seemed for a moment that Ewan was about to smash his hand down on the top of the car, but at the last moment he caught himself. With a steadying breath his hand uncurled and his choice was made. He was not his mother, he would never reach those standards that had always been out of reach. There was one thing Ewan knew for certain, he had given everything to his people over the months, and it was still not enough. He might fail at being a king, but he would not fail Fern. With a determined glint in his eyes Ewan tapped the driver side window and waited for his driver, Joe to exit. The man gave Ewan a friendly smile and out of habit offered Ewan his lighter.

"No thanks Joe. I'm about to break the rules I'm afraid. I don't want you to get in trouble of course so I'll be walking from here." Ewan said, giving the man a friendly squeeze on the shoulder.

"If you ask me Sir, I think you're doing the right thing, and I'll drive you." Joe looked up at the darkening clouds, making the late afternoon seem even later. "If you ask me, it's going to rain. Can't have my King showing up to his finance's gig looking like the drowned." Joe tipped his hat at Ewan's grateful expression and opened the door for him. A while later, they were across town. Ewan had dug out an emergency tie from the trunk of the car and did his best to straighten the knot around his neck. After some struggle, Joe kindly stepped in to rescue the poor man. Already Ewan's phone was ringing and lighting up from endless calls. Joe had switched off the communicator all of the drivers and guards used and with a sigh both men threw the devices in the back seat of the car.

He would be a little late, but Ewan hoped he would make it before the doors closed. With a hurried farewell to Joe, Ewan rushed inside, breathing a great sigh of relief as he saw some other late stragglers. The people immediately recognized their King and Ewan impatiently waved away the greetings and curtsies.
"Please, I don't want to miss any of her." Ewan said, his voice tight as his ticket was taken.
"Follow me, Your Majesty." A nervous looking usher said, and he quickly ducked into the theatre, leading Ewan down the aisle until the front row. Ewan spotted his seat and quickly rushed to it, sinking into the seat gratefully as the music halted and the lights dimmed, signalling the start of the show.

Ewan could not keep his eyes off the stage as Fern and her company performed. Fern was exquisite as Odette, her entire body moving and turning to the music. It took Ewan a moment o recognize Theo and his brain had to reset at the realization that the man was indeed playing in the lead male role. Ewan told himself to focus on Fern, but at the moments when the two of them danced together it took quite a bit of effort for Ewan to not chuck the programme at the man. When Theo's hands gripped Fern and slid over her gentle form, his hands tightened on the pages in his hand, rolling and wrinkling the paper.

Her dying scene came, and Ewan's jealous thoughts left him as Fern took his breath away. Each time she folded in on herself, her arms held out behind her as the wings of the dying swan. Until finally her arms came forward in a fluid motion, gripping her slipper as she finished the taxing scene. The programme fell to his feet as Ewan jumped to his feet along with the rest of the audience. There were shouts and cheers all around him, and in that moment Ewan knew the storm coming for him would be worth it. She was worth everything.

Fern was breathless with adrenaline as the lights blacked out after her solo. The audience was in an uproar, and tears welled in her eyes at the sound. She had done it. Barely registering her own body moving as she retreated backstage, the director and Theo both came forward to sing her praises. It felt like a dream--a dream within a dream. There were only a handful of scenes left after her solo, and they too seemed to last an eternity and only a second. After Odette and Siegfried's suicide, the curtains closed and the crowd gave another standing ovation. The company went onstage one last time for a applause, Fern and Theo last. With a flourish, Theo gestured to her, and she ran onstage, waiving to the crowd with a bright smile and tears on her cheeks.

Fern spotted Ewan there, in the very front of the first row. He was so close his long arms could reach out and almost touch the orchestra pit. Overjoyed, Fern pressed both her hands to her lips and blew him a kiss. After the cast bowed, the curtains closed and the company burst into happy chatter and congratulations. Some of the dancers who had been ignoring Fern even come up themselves. After they began to disperse, Fern retired to her dressing room. She collapsed into her chair and laughed aloud to herself, taking a moment to breathe and really let her accomplishment set in. She had achieved her lifelong dream at last. A bittersweet feeling swept over her heart at the thought, knowing what she would do next. Tomorrow, she would bow out of her role in the show and return to Ewan's side in earnest.

The door to the dressing room opened, and Fern turned to look. It was Theodore, a towel around his neck and his curly hair put up away from his face. He gave her a beguiling grin as he crossed the room, and knelt before her. Taking one of her hands in his, he kissed her knuckles reverently.

"My lady, you were absolutely stunning. You are the most beautiful person I've ever seen." Fern flushed deeply at his compliment, and tugged her hand out of his grasp.

"Thank you, Sir Theodore." She replied. "Your performance was also extraordinary." Theo's grin widened, and he placed his hands on her thighs, sitting up on the balls of his feet and leaning closer still.

"I wasn't talking about your dancing, mi amore." He purred, his eyes darkening. Fern shifted uncomfortably, leaning further back in her seat.

"That is highly inappropriate, sir." She said sternly. "Please back away." Theo didn't budge, his hands sliding further up her thighs until they hit her tutu. "Excuse me!" She nearly yelped. "I am engaged too the King of Ubor!"

"Yes, yes," He responded lazily, never breaking eye contact. "You may be his woman, but does he know how to treat you? Come, we all know he is barely a man. What will he do your first night together, hm? Fumble around in the dark? I can please you, mi amore. I worship the ground you walk on. You are too much woman for him. He doesn't know what to do with himself." he gave a derisive snort, leaning closer to her for a kiss. "Besides, the royal mistress is still a position in court, no?" Fern was stunned, infuriated and terrified all at the same time.

"How dare you!" She cried, raising one arm between their faces to defend herself from his advance. "How dare you speak of him--" before she could finish, the door to the dressing room banged open.

The show wrapped up and Ewan had to take a moment to compose himself. Fern in all her glory found him in the audience, her kiss was sent his way and Ewan was helpless to do anything else but cheer for her. The curtains closed and the main lights turned on, letting guests know they could make their way out. Ewan watched after them, remaining standing where he was. The first drop that fell onto his hand startled him, and it took a good long moment for Ewan to realize that he was crying. In an noise that sounded a bit like a hiccup and a snort Ewan wiped away at his cheeks, before finally giving up and using his tie to mop away the tears. The most useful thing that damn tie had ever done for him.

Only a few guests remained and Ewan felt his eyes were dried, so he made his way down towards a side exit. He knew from the first time he had been there, that the exit led to a hall that housed all the dressing rooms. Not wishing to be parted from Fern any longer Ewan's long strides ate up the distance in his haste. As he drew nearer a shout sounded from the room making him launch himself towards the door.

"How dare you speak of him--" With the twist of the door handle, Ewan had the door flying open and crashing into the stop behind it. The loud crash of the large door had Theo flinching up from his crouch and around to face Ewan. It was clear based on his proximity what the man had been trying. White hot rage surged through Ewan, his veins filling with adrenaline as only one thought... occurred to him.

Protect Fern.

Theo's face contorted halfway between rage and fear as Ewan stalked towards him. The dancer took a step back as Ewan slammed into him. The two men stumbled back the short distance, to the nearby floor length mirror. There was the crack of glass as Theo's body motion was suddenly stopped by the mirror and the wall.

"Ewan!" Fern cried, rushing to him. "Ewan! Please, don't do this."

"You frightened her." Ewan growled, his mind reveling in the wide eyed fear of the man he had pinned. Ewan's nostrils flared as Fern gripped his shoulder and tried to pull him away.

"Oh please, My Lord. We both know you do not have what it takes to make this woman happy." Theo's cool tone slid out as his fear slowly turned to sarcastic boredom. "Fern knows who she belongs to." Theo's eyes darted past him to Fern as she struggled to pull Ewan off. Finally with one great heave Ewan stepped away his arms lifting to push Fern behind him. Theo straightened, the sound of glass falling to the floor filled the room and Theo gracefully stepped away from the mess. His narrowed gaze landing on Ewan, "I'll get her nice and ready for you Ewan."

Fern felt her skin crawl at Theo's words, fear sinking into her stomach. She grabbed onto Ewan's waist with both hands, pressing her chest into his back and taking deep, shaking breaths to calm herself.

"I don't belong to anyone, you coward!" She replied in a cold, derisive tone. Fern stepped out from behind Ewan, one hand still resting on him to ground herself. "You have committed treason, Sir Theodore. I hope you are ready to pay the price for your actions. Guard!" She turned and yelled full force towards the door, and in a moment her guards were in the room. "Arrest him for treason and sedition against the crown." They did so promptly, Theo looking all the while absolutely dumbfounded. As if he couldn't believe Fern would choose Ewan over himself. As the guards walked him past, Fern said one more thing. "Ewan is thrice the man you'll ever be, snake."

Once they were alone, Fern felt her tears begin again, and she smoothed down Ewan's coat. "A-are you hurt anywhere?" She asked, desperately trying to steady her voice. "Gods, I'm so sorry Ewan. I had no idea he would do that, truly--" Ewan enveloped her in a tight hug, and she couldn't help but break down in his arms. Fern buried her face into his chest, holding him against herself fiercely as sobs racked her body. After almost a half hour, Fern began to calm. "Can we go...home...please?" Ewan was silent as she changed and they returned to the castle. Fern showered, and they had dinner brought up to their room, as well as all meetings for the rest of the night pushed off.

After Fern returned from the bathroom in her bonnet and robe, she sat on the bed, rubbing her puffy eyes. "Ewan..." She said softly, looking up at him perched on his desk chair. "I'm so sorry about tonight. This is the last thing you need right now." Fern let her eyes fall to the floor, clasping her hands together in her lap.

He had been so quiet, the rage simmering just below the surface of his skin. Ewan itched with the energy coursing through him, his mind still focused on his sole purpose of ensuring Ferns protection. He held her as she wept, and his glare was more than enough to ensure they would not be disturbed during their transition home. Even Sir Jones, who looked ready to give Ewan the tongue lashing of the century took one look at his face and promptly turned around.

Now alone in their room with a cart of dinner Ewan sat in his desk chair and looked sightlessly at his reflection in the dark monitor screen. His gaze flicked to the doorway when Fern entered from the bathroom, her eyes still red with the effort of her tears. Her apology slipped out and Ewan was already rising to join her, his shaggy hair shaking with the his denial.

'"Please Fern, none of this was your fault." His hand reached out to cup the side of her face, gently pulling her gaze up to meet his. Weariness and sincerity warred in those eyes of his. "What that ..." Ewan broke off unable to find a word to fully describe how he felt about Theo. "What he did, even after you shouted for him to stop what abhorrent. None of this is your fault." Ewan emphasised the word none carefully. "We should be focusing on you tonight Fern, you deserve time to process and handle all these feelings." Ewan noticed a stray curl peeking out from her bonnet and he took a moment to return it to its place. He settled back and contemplated her for a moment.

"I don't know if you remember this. You'd just left with your family to pursue your transition, to become the woman I know now. But my mom had a citizen enter her car once without her permission. I don't remember exactly the details but I know he scared her. She was so strong and level headed up until the moment the last maid left the room. My dad just held her as she cried. It was the first time I had ever seen her cry like that. Don't bottle it up like her my swan." Ewan shifted, settling in cross legged on the bed next to her. Though he was certainly not the strongest man, he took great pleasure in gathering her into his lap. Settling her in so that she lay sideways against him, her head tucked on a shoulder and her legs resting over his thigh.

"The only thing I need right now is you Fern." He told her, remembering her statement on how this was the last thing he needed right now. "You were so beautiful on stage tonight." Ewan could not bring himself to mention the reality they both knew, that it had been her one and only time she would ever grace that stage. Her hold around her tightening as he vowed to find a way to help Fern pursue her dream.

Fern melted into Ewan's embrace, feeling her exhaustion make her bones heavy. His compliment made her heart feel warm despite everything, and she sighed, nuzzling her face into his neck. She could feel his pulse jump at the action and a tired giggle left her lips. Fern did it again, this time wrapping her arms around him and gently digging her nails into his back through the fabric of his shirt. Ewan jumped with a small noise of surprise, and swallowed thickly. Fern laughed again, before pulling her face away slightly and pressing misses along his neck. She started light and gentle, before surprising him with a passionate kiss to the junction of his neck and shoulder. Ewan yelped loudly, springing away from her.

"F-Fern! What on earth are you doing??" He was beet red and held his hand to the spot she kissed tightly, like it was an open wound. Fern, who had tumbled back onto the pillows, let her head fall back as she laughed again.

"Oohh, forgive me, baby." She replied. "I couldn't help myself. You are just so cute! It's hard not to tease when you give such adorable reactions." Ewan somehow, looked even more embarrassed. The tender moment was lightening the mood for them, enough to finally eat dinner and relax a little. After they finished the meal, Fern reached over and held his hand tightly. "I know tomorrow will be grueling, Ewan. I'm going to do whatever you need to smooth things over. We can announce my withdrawal from the company publicly, if they wish. Tomorrow, I'll redouble my efforts to be the queen you and Ubor need. I promise." She gave him a wan smile.

She had him on fire with her teasing kisses and tempting touches. Even as dinner passed Ewan could feel the bright burning of his face. There was something coiled deep within him, reminding him of the moments passion had taken over the both of them. He was working up the courage to see if such a thing could be attempted again when they were settled later in bed. Soft music played from Fern's phone, her hand clasped tightly with his. Her words however brought him back to the present and Ewan let out a long breath as his brain shifted gears.

"I wish we had not made that deal." He lamented. "I was foolish in thinking it would be enough, that I could feel at peace with this choice. You are sure you still want this?" Ewan's head turned and the hand that was not holding Ferns shifted to behind his head. Fern's expression grew even more determined, her brows furrowing for the briefest moment.

"We are in this together Ewan." She told him, her tone was no nonsense.

"The people of Ubor have been given such a gift, to have your kindness and cool head." Ewan grinned at her. "We will face it all tomorrow." He agreed. Unable to help himself he pushed up from his resting position and kissed her. It was sweet and gentle, and he took his time in savouring her. When he lifted and noticed her dreamy expression he gave her a cocky grin. "Payback." He told her.

~

The following days were once again a flurry of duty and announcements. Fern held her own press conference about her departure from the dance company, and how she would be focusing on learning the duties soon to be expected of her. There seemed to be a mixed reaction, while certainly hopeful faces peppered the crowds, it was clear the news story of Theo's arrest was leaving a dark stain on their image. There had been some coverage, and a rather upsetting photo of Ewan and Fern leaving the theatre plastered all over the following day. PR had the couple doing damage control the next day, wanting to show the couple out and about, looking more than happy for their upcoming nuptials in just two weeks time.

The event had ended rather abruptly as the ice cream shop they were sharing a cone in was hit with a number of eggs and other produce. One angry citizen had come up to the window as guards were quickly pushing the two of them out the back door, but Ewan had turned his head and read the sign the man held over his head.

I am not my powers

It had read, and it had Ewans blood growing cold. Of course he had seen the news coverage online, as more and more people paid the consequences for refusing to register. Consequences that he had approved with his signature.

Fern felt like a bug trapped beneath a glass--and the whole world was staring at her, waiting. After the disaster at the ice cream shop, they were herded back to the castle and broken apart for meetings and lessons. While taking a break from her etiquette lesson, Fern was allowed to roam the wing of the castle she was in. She found her way through a library, the queen's personal study and finally the master bedroom. While clean, it was untouched since the funeral. The king's side of the room was notably messier, his closet open and half the bed sheets rumpled.

It occurred to Fern that they would be moved here after the wedding. The room still felt so much like the previous monarchs, she felt as if she were invading. There was a large sitting area towards the front of the room, complete with a tv and sound system. Across the room was a small pedestal and triple mirror, presumably for fittings. A desk area with several full bookshelves, the massive canopy bed and then a walk in closet on one side each. The room had gloriously large windows on the east and west walls, plus skylights, though they were all covered. What an amazing space to cultivate his plants, she thought.

An idea came to Fern as she turned to hurry back to her lesson. After she was finished, she called for the head butler. Fern finally had an idea for a wedding gift. After she finished laying her plans, Fern returned to Ewan's rooms. He was deep in thought at his computer, looking haggard. Dinner would be up for them soon. Fern quietly crossed the room and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

"Hello, my king." She murmured. His computer screen was filled with articles about the civil unrest happening around Ubor in protest of the new laws. Fern pressed a kiss to his temple and he sighed, running one hand along her forearm. Fern retreated to the bed and spoke quietly. "What are you thinking, Ewan? I'd like to help, if I can."

The weight of the world was a heavy burden indeed. Ewan's mind had been consumed with finding the truth that felt so hidden from him, with every passing day the sense of wrong seemed to permeate from the very walls he resided in. The only thing that felt true and honest was the woman who now draped herself over his shoulders, her sweet kiss bringing a sense of calm to his tumultuous thoughts. She remained there a moment and he breathed in her scent, the light fresh smell of her shampoo mixed delightfully with the roll of her perfume that she used each day.

His eyes closed and he let her calming aura move through him, even as she moved away to rest on the bed. This room had become quite the sanctuary with her arrival. At her question of his thoughts Ewan gathered his courage for honesty and swiveled his desk chair to face her. Elbows resting on the arm rests, he steepled his hands together and looked at her over them.
"This is all so wrong Fern." He began. "I can't hide behind the legacy of my parents anymore, even if this was what they wished for Ubor I see nothing but unrest. I don't even know what is to come next... I don't want to be this king that Sir Jones and the others want me to be. I don't want to be the husband that forces his wife to put her dreams to the wayside, I don't want to ignore my own dreams anymore...." Ewan broke off, his throat feeling tighter than usual. His hands dropped to his lap in a defeated gesture, his head falling back against the head rest.

"I told you once that I thought of leaving this place. That sentiment has not changed."

Fern tensed when she heard his words. She could see how badly everything was getting to him, how horribly he was being crushed. In the short year they had been together since the first ball, he seemed to have aged tremendously. Fer stood again, and went behind the chair, slowly beginning a massage of his shoulders and neck. She let out a heavy sigh as she thought.

"My Atlas," She murmured softly "I understand how you feel. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel the same often since I've come." She continued her ministrations, working the tense muscles with her strong fingers. "I wish I knew just the words to take away your worries. I wish I could say the right thing and fix all of what's troubling you. But the only thing I can do is be honest with you. Is that alright?" Fern had worked her way up his neck and to his temples, gently massaging his scalp. Ewan made an affirmative noise, and Fern finished up. Coming around, she knelt before him and took his hands in hers.

"The truth, Ewan, is that you can run away. But if you do, you'll be leaving Ubor and all it's people, all your parents and forefathers worked for to ruin. The curse of true kings is to live for others all their lives--to be the figurehead of a whole country. And it is always the best kings that don't want the crown. It's weight is heavy enough to corrupt and ruin, if you let it. If you don't covet that power, but hold it at arms length, you can see more clearly than any oracle." She lifted one hand to hold his face tenderly. "I know you are tired, Ewan. I can see gravity pulling more at your bones each day. I know you are scared senseless and feel smaller than a church-mouse. But you are not alone. You have me, that's true, but you have your people, too. If you let them, they can become your biggest strength. Your parents are looking down on you from beside the gods now, and I know they are proud. I am." She gave him a small smile.

"The only thing that matters to me now is you, Ewan. I did what I always wanted, and you helped me get there. When I'm old and we retire from this place, rent the theatre again and watch my bones creak as I dance for you then. For now, be strong a little longer, please. After the wedding, let's take a week away. Let's hole up in our room and do nothing but be normal people. Let's come back refreshed and ready to figure out what's really going on, okay? I don't think your parents would have ever put the people through this." She leaned up and kissed his collarbone softly before retreating again. "We hold up the sky one day at a time, my Atlas. Let's do it together."

(Dude 10/10 on the Atlas nickname. I freaking love it.)

She would dance again, and he would hold up infinite galaxies to make it so. Together they would find the peace the two of them so desperately craved. Ewan curled his frame around Fern's steady one. She would be the foundation, the support and love that he would need to push forward, and he would nurture and tend to her lovingly.

"One day at a time." He repeated, sliding to the floor in front of her. They were pressed together, his knees bracketing hers as their torso's came flush with one another. They were breath's apart, their eyelids growing heavy with the realization of passions untapped. Ewan moved first, his hand gripping the decadent curve of her hip and the other sliding behind the back of her neck to hold her to him as their mouths warred. He loved the noises she made as he scraped his teeth against her bottom lip, tugging the soft skin gently.

"Ewan, our wedding..." Fern's words filled his hazy brain and Ewan took a moment to remember himself and the promises they had made to one another. With a gentle smile and a steady hand Ewan led Fern to bed and the two spoke soft words of affirmation and shared sweet touches.

With only a day left for the wedding the whole castle was naturally in an uproar. Staff rushed around carrying large vases of flowers. Elliot the wedding planner had come around on Fern's request for roses to be added to the greenery and large fern leaves framed the bundles of deep red roses. The castle was close to bursting with the multitudes of decorations, with the theme of vintage greenery the man had gone to the moon and back with his layers of green over green. An event hall had been chosen for the wedding, with the reception to be held under tents, warmed by fires near the greenhouses. These tents were now guarded by a number of disgruntled looking security men who eyed the swans Elliot had set loose on the grounds warily.

The wedding hall itself had been filled with classic pews from churches, the kind that made ones backside cry just by looking at them. With the addition of the 'vintage greenery' even over the backs of the pews Ewan wondered if any person would be comfortable at the event. He was to take one last look at the hall for approval before he and Fern were to be seperated for the evening. Despite Ewan's protests, he had been outnumbered by Sir Jones and his assistants.

"It is tradition sir! The Bride and Groom must not see one another the night before!" Sir Jones had told him, and Ewan had relented when Sir Jones had appeared ready to call in the support of the castle staff. Now, the two stood just halfway down the aisle and peered at the overdone, over the top wedding that was to be theirs. Ewan switched his gaze to Fern and quirked a brow at her.

"What do you think?" He whispered, his tone clear that he already knew the answer.

Fern looked around a moment, clasping one of his hands in hers.

"It's.....very traditionally royal." She said in a bemused tone. Sara herself had blown it out of proportion in it's initial stages, Sir Jones had taken the wedding to the next level entirely. Which was, in itself, impressive. Fern knew her wedding would be a public spectacle, but everything down to her hair and makeup was decided for her without her opinion. Fern gave Ewan a small smile before they were pulled apart for the last of the day.

Fern was taken to endless preparations for the next day--how to walk, talk, breathe and waive. When to smile, when to look demure, what to say in her vows and her speech after. It was absolutely exhausting. She collapsed into bed at ten pm, after texting Ewan a short message goodnight.
~

The next day was a whirlwind of events starting from dawn. Fern was pulled and primped in a million different ways for what seemed like hours on end. They at least let her mother into the room to help her dress, which was a pleasant surprise. The castle was noisy with the crowd flowing in an hour before the ceremony. Fern was not nervous, which she found to be a great relief. on top of everything else happening that day, being nervous was the last thing she needed. Finally, it was time. She stood outside the doors to the bedecked hall with the bouquet in her hands. She was dressed in a fashionable but traditional gown, with loose ringlets in her hair and subtle makeup.

The wedding march began--it was a mix between the Ubor national anthem and the classic wedding march. The doors swung open and the audience in the pews stood. On her father's arm, she took a breath and they began to walk, a smile plastered to her face. The crowd was muttering as they moved, barely audible over the music. Ewan stood at the end of the isle, looking dashing in his suit with his long hair slicked back and his face shaved clean. He was also wearing a stiff smile, but his eyes shone with true happiness.

She met him there after her father let go, and her bouquet was taken by a servant. The priest began his long winded speech, and Fern held onto Ewan's hands tightly. Then he spoke to her.

"May lady, if you would place the ring upon his majesty's finger." She did so, sliding the simple golden band onto his slender finger. "And speak your vows for us, please."

"I, Fern Ansuka LaRose, vow to love and bide by the king all my life. I will dedicate myself completely to the country to which we serve and to the will of the king." The priest turned to Ewan.

"And you, your majesty?"

Ewan could not help the soft wince at the vows so clearly curated by anyone but the woman in front of him. At the priests indication Ewan gently pressed the circle of the wedding band over Fern's finger and recited the lines he had been given as well.

"I, Ewan Negaard, King of of Ubor, vow to love and guide you." Another internal wince. "Together we will serve our country with this most blessed union. I vow all this and more." Ewan could not resist the little act of rebellion with his final words, hoping Fern could see the sentiment there was him and not the words of Sir Jones. It took him a moment to collect himself, when the sudden image of two copies of Sir Jones stood in their place, reciting the vows he had written to himself. In his mind's eye, the man was not at all suited for dresses. The priest called for Ewan and Fern to face the crowd, and Ewan let his hand be joined to his wife as they were covered in a ceremonial sash that had been worn by the first king.

"You may now kiss the bride." The priest said, lifting his hands up above the couple as he blessed them. With the addition of the sash and their height difference, Ewan made a awkward ducking motion and quickly laid a soft kiss to Fern's mouth. The crowd broke into cheers at the appropriate time and Ewan could have sworn for a moment he heard the sounds of boo's as well. But a moment later they were gone. The music started and Ewan and Fern carefully made their way out and into a small chamber where finally they could remove the cursed sash.

Ewan was about to gather Fern in his arms, wishing desperately to give her the vows he had wanted to say when the photographer rushed in, and within moments they were whisked off to another place in the castle and posed for a good hour. By the end of it Ewan's cheeks were ablaze and his jaw hurt from the effort of the smile that remained plastered to his face. Finally when the photographer left them Ewan drew Fern into a big bear hug.

It of course was not meant to last when once again the couple was collected and they were ushered towards the tents that held the reception. It was to be a big magnificent entrance of course and Ewan waited patiently as the two of them were check over by their stylists, ensuring that not a single hair is out of place.

"Ready?" Ewan asked, though everything in his tone indicated he was not ready for an evening of shmoozing and idle conversation. He looked back longingly at the tower they called home, and smiled to himself knowing the wedding gift he had for Fern was safely tucked away in their rooms.

Fern was exhausted and aching to just hold Ewan. She wondered if he would like the lingerie she had on under her dress, or if it would only fluster him further. Fern found she quite liked the idea. She also wondered if he would enjoy the present she had for him. His soft voice jolted her out of her thoughts, and Fern look his arm.

"Ready as I'll ever be, my Atlas." She winked, and they put on their best smiles as they were announced and the doors swung open. The reception was a whirlwind of mini interviews and greetings. People offering congratulations and policy changes in the same breath. It was true what they say, the couple didn't even have time to eat. But after almost an hour, they finally had their first dance. The soft music played as Ewan took her into his arms, and they swayed together around the dance floor. It was the first moment of peace either had felt that day. After the dance there was another two hours of running about, then the cake cutting.

After another half hour of goodbyes, the couple was finally allowed to return to their rooms. In the morning, Fern would show Ewan her gift, but his face split wide with a grin as he opened the door. On his bed there--the whole room had been tidied and covered in candles and roses--sat Peaches. "Oh my gods!!" She rushed forward and collapsed on the edge of the bed, holding the Servile in her arms. "Ewan, how did you--?" Ewan laughed and began to shed his suit. "Oh, thank you!! Thank you so much!" Fern had to focus on not crying, as her makeup was still caked on quite thickly. After her reunion, Fern excused herself tot he bathroom to make herself more comfortable.

She took off her dress and hung it carefully--it was embroidered with real diamonds after all. She took down her hair--with all 1,000 bobi pins holding it together, and finally freed her face of the heavy makeup. A maid had provided a sheer robe for her, which matched her white lace bustier and garters perfectly. Finally, she was ready, and nervous. She opened the door and leaned against the frame. "Are you terribly tired, baby?" She asked, looking up to him with a nervous smile.

They had done it. Ewan was now a husband, and Fern was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. Her sheer glee at the sight of Peaches had his heart fluttering as joy overtook her. The cat purred happily, finally reunited with its master. It had taken some clever trickery, and the help of Fern's mother, who had come back to the room after the wedding and kept watch over the room until it was safe for her to drop off her precious cargo. Sir Jones had been all too wrapped up in the events seen by the public to even take notice of the brides missing mother for a portion of the reception.

Ewan sat perched at the edge of the bed, his fingers absently stroking near Peaches ear as he listened to the running water and small noises of Fern getting ready. His gaze was unfocused as he looked over at the pillows. He did his best not to dwell too deeply on the notion that he and his wife could be together in every way now. The thought was simply terrifying and thrilling, he stood now at a precipice, his mind and body only needed to jump. Certainly his body was already gearing to go, and Ewan shifted uncomfortably as sensations he had only ever felt for Fern took over him. His mind warred with the notion of pleasure, he wanted nothing more to give her as much as he could, he could not deny the idea of taking his own pleasure, of losing control and letting them both chase what felt good.

The sound of the bathroom door jarred him, and his eyes snapped up to the door frame where Fern stood, the tempting swan she was. His eyes were greedy with the sight of her, his gaze slipping down her from committing every dark slope and curve to memory. The sheer white fabric cut off near the swell of her hip and it took everything within Ewan to not drop to his knees and worship her where she stood. It took him a long moment to remember she had asked him a question and he hoarsely asked her to repeat it.

"Are you tried?" Fern was chewing on her bottom lip, her teeth sinking into the flesh in ways that made him want to do the same.

"No." Ewan lifted to his feet, unable to resist the sweetness that was Fern. He lifted his hand and when she placed her own in his, he drew her to him. Her dark eyes gazed up at him and he was happy to see the absence of make up. Here was his Fern, just his. With a reverent hand he traced the high apples of her cheek bone, his fingers curling and drawing their faces only breaths apart. "This is for me?" He asked breathlessly, his eyes dipping for only a moment before returning to meet her gaze. Fern nodded, her own hands creeping up to grip him as a low growl emanated from the back of his throat. He resisted kissing her, instead his forehead met hers and his eyes closed as he drank in the scent of her.

"I want... I want this to be good for the both of us. I don't want to be the fumbling boy, I want to be your husband in all ways. I fear I may be too rough, please Fern tell me if you want to stop or if I do something you like." His lips met her then, testing, teasing. It would be all too easy to lose his mind, and sink into the animalistic nature that seemed to want to crawl out of him each time he was intimate with her. He turned them as they kissed, walking Fern back until the backs of her legs hit the bed. "Gods, I want you Fern. Please tell me you want me too."

A delicious shiver ran through her body at Ewan's change--she could see easily how badly he craved her. The thought of him desiring her so made her heart swell. In that moment her lust and true love mingled together, overwhelming her. Fern sank onto the bed, then tugged him down atop her by his belt loops. She captured his lips in a fierce kiss as she leaned back onto the bed. When they broke apart, panting, she gave him a bright smile. Slipping her hands beneath his shirt, she teased her fingers along his skin and watched his eyes darken at her touch.

"I need you, Ewan." She replied softly. "I've...I've dreamed about this for so long. Someone wanting me this way. That someone being you...it makes everything perfect. I want you, Ewan. I want you right now, for as long as you'll have me. It's high time you made me an honest woman, don't you think?" Before she could laugh, Ewan was on her. The couple was desperate, passionate, as if the other would vanish at any moment. It was a good thing they had the tower room, it was certainly a very long night. They found that Fern had slightly more stamina, but it was a highly pleasurable evening for them both. It seemed Ewan had done his research--she could hardly believe it was his first time. In truth, Fern had done some of her own. It seemed they were equally nervous for their wedding night.

Fern began to wake late in the morning, the sunlight filtering through the crack in the curtains. She shifted under the sheets, turning to look at her beloved husband. Her neck and shoulders were covered in hickies, her hips bruised from his fingertips. Ewan had even bit down hard enough to draw a small amount of blood and left an impression of his teeth on her left shoulder. She'd discovered a great deal about her king the previous night--though mainly that he adored lingerie and that she would have to buy several sets whenever she procured some. The lace she had worn lay on the floor in tatters. Not that she minded. Fern smiled and leaned forward to kiss Ewan's brow.

"Good morning, Atlas." She said. Ewan made a sleepy noise and curled his arm around her hip and burying his face into her bosom. Fern couldn't help but laugh. Normally her husband would be mortified at his actions. "You'll have to wake soon, baby." She continued. "I have to give you your gift."

He was in heaven. Ewan knew at this very moment that he would die with a smile on his face because of their night together. His back was covered in long red streaks as her nails had raked down his skin. She had lost herself in him as deeply and desperately as he had been. He had a number of soft purple spots near his collarbone, from where her mouth had latched onto him greedily. In the gentle warmth of her arms and chest Ewan could feel the sense of peace she brought him lull him to a comforting place between waking and sleep. Her soft chuckle at his reluctance made him burrow deeper into the home of her arms.

"I thought you were my present." His head lifted and their eyes met, he gave her a wolfish smile. "Unless you mean to tell me that you have more lovely lacy things I can tear from you." His teeth found a soft spot and gently bit making her squeal. Her body moved out of his grasp and Ewan sighed blissfully, scratching at the shadow of the beard that threatened to grow back already. He let out a short bark of laughter as Fern threw a pillow at him and ordered him to get dressed.

He did so with a jovial laugh, opting for some cosy sweats and an oversized dark tee that had a little cactus on the front with a silly little pun underneath. He remained barefoot, not enjoying the idea of his feet being enclosed in socks of shoes. With a warm smile Ewan went to his wife and leaned down to press a kiss to her cheek.

"Lead the way my Queen." He whispered.

Fern laughed as she worked to dress herself, a simple soft romper with slip on sandals. She fixed her hair up in a loose messy bun and stood after Ewan greeted her so sweetly. Grinning, Fern took his hand and Peache's leash in the other. Together, they moved through the castle towards the master suite. Ewan gave her a strange look before she pushed the double doors open, revealing the transformed space.

The room was now light and airy, painted a soft sage green on the walls. In front of almost each of the large windows except one was a tall, roomy shelf ready for plants, hooks on the ceiling for hanging as well. The window next to the living space was converted into a window bench surrounded by bookcases and decorated with pillows. Wind-chimes and sun-catchers hung on the glass. The fabrics were clean whites or deep greens, some of the pillows plant shaped. A cat tree in the corner and family photos as well as Ewan's diploma hung above the small desk next to the fitting area. The poster bed was hung with sheer linens and fake vines with fairy lights. The past few eeks had been grueling to set it up, she stayed late at her 'lessons' every night to plan and speak to the decorators. Fern had actually grown quite close with the head butler and head maid.

Fern turned and presented him the room. "Ta-da! I know we'll be asked to move here, so I wanted to make it homey. I didn't want to take too mych away, so all the furniture is the same. We can have the servants move all our things here today, it shouldn't take too long. I know it's corny, but I got us matching pajamas and I hid a projector above the bed for movie nights. Your plants will get plenty of light and we're closer to the rest of the castle..." She caught herself babbling and turned towards Ewan again. "What do you think?"

Ewan's breath caught at the sight of his parents old living area, it had not occurred to him once that the castle would want them to move there, but he realized now it was only natural that they would do so. She had taken what would have been a sad space and absolutely transformed it, making it a sanctuary for the both of them. Ewan's heart thudded loudly in his chest as he wandered towards the large windows and he bent to run a hand over the smooth wood of the shelves.

"Fern... This is incredible." How honoured he was to have a wife who knew him so fully. Unable to help himself he went to her, she had remained near the door, clearly nervous at his reaction to her gift. "We'll ensure that we sleep here tonight." He kissed her once, twice, before pulling back to survey once again. "Peaches will be happy here too." He murmured in an afterthought. "I'll have to keep the spider plant out of the way of her though. I read they are hallucinogens." He chuckled at the idea of what a cat might see when tripping and almost missed the small knock at the door behind them.

At the second knock Ewan relented and went to open the door, revealing a rather haggard looking Sir Jones. Ewan had remembered the man seemed to always have some sort of glass in his hand during the reception and it brought him a secret sort of glee that Sir Jones might be experiencing a hangover. However his current condition did not seem to stop the old man as he took in the state of Ewan and Fern. It was clear he noted the bits of their loving marks that peeked over the lip of the collars of their shirts.

"I did not expect to see you today. Or for the rest of the week for that matter." Ewan's brow lifted and he did not step aside to let the man in.

"Ah yes, I had gone to your rooms but I am pleased you are aware of the plans for your next arrangements... I came to give you each your schedules for the following day." Sir Jones said with some strain to his voice. "We must hit the ground running now that we have the eyes of so many on the royal family. The time has come to enact the next step in your mothers plans." The advisor handed over two binders filled to the bring with pages and tabs. Ewan took the binders, frowning even more.

"I had expressly planned to take this week to be with my wife. I had been promised that there would be no plans." Ewan said softly and Sir Jones looked regretful.

"Well sir, when you left to watch the ballet, we needed to do a bit of damage control, so the next week has been designed as a bit of an apology to the two dignitaries who were promised your presence." Sir Jones explained, his gaze flicked to Fern and he smiled at her, though the smile did not reach his eyes. "We have a number of organizations petitioning for your favour, so we have arranged for them to come and speak to you through this week. It is tradition that the Queen ... busy herself with nurturing activities."

Fern placed her hands on her hips, looking at Sir Jones with an exasperated expression. 'Nurturing activities' her ass. They would shut her up in the room and give her lectures on how to get pregnant. She sighed, before coming over to Ewan and placing her hand on his arm. He turned to look at her and she gave him a smile.

"It's alright, my love. We can postpone the honeymoon a week, right, Sir Jones?" The man pondered her idea moment before shrugging.

"I suppose that much is alright." He responded. Ewan looked unhappy, but Fern gave his arm a squeeze. Behind Jones, a few maids appeared with bags, and they moved aside as the servants began to prepare the room. The couple took their schedules and headed down to the dining room for brunch. They returned to the new rooms once they finished, and Fern sat Ewan down on the bed and had him close his eyes. After a moment, she returned covered in another sheer robe. She wore black rose lingerie this time, and knelt before him with a small page in her hand.

"Open your eyes, my Atlas." She said softly. He did, and she could see the grin appear on his face as he took her in. Before he could reach for her, she stopped him. "I wanted to read you my real vows, Ewan. You deserve so much more than a few stiff lines." He softened, and she started to read.

"Ewan, I can honestly say I have loved you from the moment you appeared in my life. You helped me start the journey to become who I really was, and I can tell you that you really did save my life that day. I promised to do whatever it took to repay you for that act--however unintended it was." She smiled "I have only grown to love you more as we have been reunited again. You have become an amazing man--kind, thoughtful and patient. I know you will grow into a wonderful king, and I will do all I can to help you achieve that end. I don't speak to you as your queen, but as your partner. As a woman who is hopelessly in love with a man, and will do anything to aid and protect him." She sat up on her heels, smiling at him warmly as he took her face in his hands. "Tonight, Ewan, I am utterly at your mercy. Please, do with me whatever you wish. I just want to be with you for as long as I can."

Each and every one of Ferns words were branded against his soul. Ewan looked down at the woman who pledged every bit of herself to him and he wanted nothing more than to honour and ensure this woman lived the perfect life she so clearly deserved. Her final words had him dropping to his knees so that he would join her on the floor. Every part of him was awake and buzzing with the need to touch her, and with her gentle and loving submission he was powerless but to accept.

The day was theirs and he would make the most of it, they spent long languid moments there on the carpet, their skin soaking up the sun beams that filtered through the large windows. The openings of the large monstera cast shadows over Fern's face and with Fern's permission, Ewan once again grabbed the small instant camera and laid down next to her to capture the moment. She was perfect, every bit of her and Ewan wanted to worship at the shrine that was Fern. He took her to the bathroom after long moments in the sun, drawing a bath in the large corner tub. The servant's had arranged a number of his tropical plants around the lip of the tub and on the sill of the large frosted window that let in natural light above them. Fern lay against him in the warm soapy water, and he took great pleasure in learning every part of her.

Much later, the two lay in bed, Ewan and placed one of his favourite movies and now Young Frankenstein flickered on the projector. They had been gentler with one another this day, though the lingerie had been torn in usual Ewan fashion. The same animalistic urge had taken him down a slow and sensual path, wanting to draw out Fern's pleasure for as long as possible. She had been an eager participant and he proudly sported a few new markings on his skin when her nails had dug into him.

"Fern, I've been thinking." Ewan murmured, as Igor attempted to steal a brain. "What if we take ourselves and Peaches to the summer home next week for our honeymoon? We are far less likely to be pulled away from each other there I think. It's close to the beach too, so we could go swimming." He tilted his head, catching the profile of his wife.

Fern was happily exhausted. She hadn't expected Ewan to be so eager at her proposal, but her certainly enjoyed himself--as did she. His arms were wrapped around her and his fingers gently squeezed at her belly. She tilted her head slightly to look up at him and smile. The late afternoon light made the room golden, and the flicker of the projector gave the whole space a lovely timelessly romantic quality. They had drawn the sheer curtains around the bed to shroud them in their own little world. Peaches was resting in the living area, happily sleeping in a sunbeam. The world felt calm, finally.

"That sounds wonderful, baby. I saw this gorgeous bikini the other day, it would be a shame not to wear it." At the sparkle in his eye, Fern giggled. Fern leaned back into his shoulder. "Ewan, how come you don't call me by any nicknames? You don't have to, of course. I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable. I've been thinking of what to call you, when we're alone of course." She raised a hand and curled one finger in for each name she listed. "I've got Atlas, baby, love, sugar and honey. Do you dislike any of those? I'm happy to change them." She smiled "My parents almost exclusively call each other nicknames. For a while my youngest brother thought my mom's name was Honey and my dad's name was Sugar!" She laughed.

He laughed with her, finding the notion of Fern's childhood misunderstanding so endearing. Ewan considered Fern's question his brow quirked at her observation, he was silent for a long moment as he dug around his thoughts, searching for the answer. Fern as ever was patient with him as he mulled about, searching for the right words.

"I think it comes down to two things." Ewan lifted two fingers above them, one eye closed and he framed a character in the movie between the V of his fingers. "The first being that I have never had someone to give pet names too. Sophie was always Sophie. Mom and Dad were always just that, though I heard their names more often than you I think. Someone was always using it when speaking to them." One finger tucked in and he held up only his pointed finger now as he came to his next point. "It was also a huge part of my training to use people's names often. I was told using people's names was a sure fire way to earn their trust. I think perhaps it just became a habit." His finger dropped and so did his hand. His fingers coming to rest on her hip.

"I have called you my Swan, perhaps I should try to think of more." His brow furrowed as the cogs turned in his mind. "Sophie sometimes calls her current attachment Boo... But I don't think that works. " Ewan shook his head as he rejected the word, turning his head he took in his wife and a wicked smile curved over his mouth. "Considering how alive you've made me feel, perhaps temptress is appropriate." He nuzzled her mouth with his own. "Of course only to be used behind closed doors."

Fern smiled. "Well, those are wonderful options, my love." They spent the rest of the day lounging in bed doing absolutely nothing, which was delightful. The week was full of diplomacy and lectures, a never ending procession of duties. While Ewan was in a meeting, Fern finally lost her temper at the millionth pregnancy lecture she'd received that week. Stand on her head after intimacy--it was too much. When Sir Jones found out she was unable to conceive he nearly had a meltdown in front of the diplomats. It took Ewan and the other advisors two hours to calm him down privately. It was finally decided that Sophia's children would be the continuation of the royal line. Fern felt horrible about suddenly thrusting such a responsibility upon the princess, but she quickly had to deal with a media leak soon after the news spread through the palace.

Finally, the week was over. Fern and Ewan packed light and escaped in the wee hours of the morning to the summer palace. It was a beautiful old building overlooking the ocean, with a perfect white sand beach attached. Fern was excited to get out into the water, so she headed down to the beach first with Peaches in tow. A few servants followed her and set up a chaise, a few chairs an umbrella and table. Drinks and lunch were prepared, and Fern delightedly stretched out in the sun. Ewan was talking with the castle staff and would join her shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back