• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Royal Metanoia {Closed}

The press was as tactful as ever, Fern navigated the questions admirably. Ewan found himself quite proud of her, he knew all to well the emotional drain they had on him, he could not imagine the drain on her while she used her powers. Truly it was a sight to behold. When the question turned to him Ewan obligingly stepped closer to the podium and turned his full attention to the woman. Her badge stood out as a bright yellow on the purple of her suit. He recognized the logo as one of the local gossip magazines. The purple suit added more to her question.

"Is she good in bed?..." The question went on and Ewan had to blink in surprise at the audacity. Behind him Sara made a noise of disapproval but he made a motion with his hand to keep his mother at bay. Ewan blinked blandly at the woman for a moment, letting her question hang in the air.

"I was more than happy to answer your question Ms..."

"Ms. Hargrave." The woman supplied, her recording device held out in her hand to capture his every word.

"Ms. Hargrave, if you will, I find it quite distressing and disheartening you would ask such a question of myself and my fiancé. I am more than happy to answer that her joyous flair for life makes even the saddest flower bloom. I would be pleased to share that there is no one quite like her in terms of loyalty and optimism. However your inappropriate question about her body or the privacy behind closed doors is not welcome. I love Lady LaRose, and I am proud of the woman she is." Ewan said his voice firm yet without much emotion, and yet the crowd ate it up, making a noise at his declaration. "I will take another question, an appropriate one this time." Ewan gave Hargrave one last look, which had her dropping her recording device, a light rosy tinge to her cheeks.

"Ah, yes. Crown Prince." A man cleared his throat when he was called upon. "Will you ascend the throne quickly then, with the arrival of your queen?"

"It was not my intention to rush my father or mother out of the job, we shall discuss more as the time draws nearer. For now there are no plans for such a hasty exchange."

The questions continued on a while more, both Fern and Ewan did splendidly, focusing their attention on the more appropriate questions. Finally the last question was given and answered and with a final way the trio returned to the safety of the palace.

Sara had her phone out and was immediately taking notes, her fingers snapped and her assistant flanked to her side. "Make sure that Hargrave fool is not welcome to any more press meetings." Sara directed before turning her eyes to the clearly drained couple. "Well done both of you. We need to work on your stamina clearly but a good first viewing to the world. Take lunch, Elliot the wedding planner will be by shortly to get the ball rolling on your plans." Sara made a few more clicks with her manicured nails over the bright screen of her phone. "Oh and Fern dear, I apologize but there are certain traditions of course that must be held up at the wedding. Elliot will fill you in, as well as present you with the guest list I've curated. Absolutely no cutting any of the attendees, I feel I've kept it fairly reasonable at six hundred." With a smile and wave Sara clicked her way down the hall with her assistant in a tow.

Ewan let out a small gust of air as his mother's presence left the room, filling the entry hall with some peace. Outside he could hear the din of the crowd moving away and with each passing second it grew quieter. He smiled at Fern before noticing how the colour seemed to have left her cheeks.

"That was far too much, I'm so sorry." Ewan offered his arm to Fern without thinking and led her to a nearby sitting room. Ewan knew this sitting room well, it was where his father often went before large press conferences to sneak some liquid courage. He settled Fern into a plush cushion and went to the book case. He peered over the books until he landed on a large book of fermentation methods. He pulled it out and opened it to reveal it was in fact a hollowed out box with a small silver flask. Taking his prize he returned to Fern and pressed the metal into her hands.

"Thank you Fern. I think we did quite well together." Ewan said softly as he settled down next to her, their hips touching. He leaned his head back and let out a sigh. "I didn't think we would have to do much wedding planning, I thought we would have just been told what to wear and where to stand... Have you any desires for our wedding?"

Fern nearly collapsed onto the couch, and gratefully accepted the flask. The cold metal grounded her, Fern closed her eyes and unscrewed the top with practiced ease. She took a sip of the alcohol and sighed softly.

"Thank you, Ewan. You did wonderfully. I'm so sorry about the questions, I'm afraid that the rumors saying I have seduced you despite my appearance will be about for some time." She pondered his question for a moment, resting her head on his shoulder with her eyes still closed. "I'm not sure, honestly. Every little girl dreams of her wedding, of course, but I always knew my marriage would be political, so I didn't let myself hope for too much. Better to keep myself from being disappointed, you know?" Fern sighed again, enjoying the warmth of his body against hers. She lifted her head up and dug her phone out of her clutch, flicking the screen open and scrolling through her pictures. Stopping on a wedding dress, she turned the phone to him and gave a small smile.

"I know that it is most likely impossible, but this is the dress I've wanted for a long time. It's so dreamy, and reminds me of princess Aurora. But of course it's one of a kind and I doubt it would fit, besides that It's far too revealing for a royal dress." When Ewan finished looking, he returned the phone to her, seemingly deep in thought. Before she could ask him what was on his mind, a knock came at the door. A tall man strode him, glasses perched on his nose and a thick binder in his hands. A swarm of assistants began to chatter away. Fern was swept up and her measurements were taken, and the man began to lay down thick packets before them.

"Your highness, and lady, I am Elliot. I will be helping you with the wedding. Now, I know the lady has some catching up to do, that will be mostly independent study. I don't have time to explain everything face to face. Is there a motif you prefer for the event? It must be...grand! Showstopping! It will be talked about for years to come. Hm? Any ideas?"A woman was fitting a measuring tape around Fern's bust, so her arms were out horizontally. She looked over to Ewan and then to Elliot.

"Uhm, roses, maybe?" She asked. The man didn't roll his eyes but a look of displeasure came over his features.

"Castle romance, really? Everyone and their sister has done the 'fairy tale' wedding, my lady. It is boring. Overdone. You live in a castle, why would you romanticize it? No, no, no. Here, I was thinking maybe...vintage greenery! Give it a 50's flair, and include the greenhouse, to signify how the prince will be helping the people grow in the future. Hm?" Fern did her best to keep the disappointment from coming over her features. She lifted one leg up as a woman knelt to examine her feet, and looked over to Ewan with a smile.

"That certainly sounds interesting. What do you think, your highness?" Fern felt a little awkward calling him by his title now, but it was important to mind her manners when they weren't alone. Anyone could be a leak for gossip.

One would think spending his entire life as a royal would have given a lot of practice to not feel overwhelmed as large events and moments were to be planned, but Ewan found himself even now repressing the urge to get up and run as thick booklets of paper were placed on the table in front of him. Nearby Fern was moved and positioned as they took her measurements. Finding that it was easier to look at Fern he took a moment to picture her in the lovely dress she had shown him. It had been deeply romantic with its stitched on roses, yes, he thought; she would certainly look lovely in that dress.

The conversation turned to theme, with Fern throwing out her idea which matched the dress quite splendidly. Ewan grinned at his friend but felt it slip away from his face as Elliot challenged her.

"Yes indeed your highness, what are your thoughts on the matter?" Elliot asked, the barest hint of something that Ewan couldn't quite figure in his voice.

"I find roses to be quite vintage and charming." Ewan said standing, his hands moved to the pockets of his suit and he found a small little stone in the left one that he turned over in his fingers. "As you know I do love my flowers and greenery, Elliot. I would be much obliged if the flower for love may also be included in the set. I had thought also to include more theatric elements as well. Perhaps a call out to Fern's talent in ballet."

"Well when you put it like that. I have to say that sounds rather lovely. Classic..." Elliot lamented, his pen moving quickly over the notepad he had flipped open. Soon the measurements were all finished for Fern and the assistants descended upon Ewan, moving his arms and neck as the tape measure rested against his form. Elliot pulled out one of the large stacks of paper and pressed the bundle towards Fern as she sat on the sofa. "These are the -"

"Actually." Ewan cut off the rest of the planners words. "Apologies Elliot, if it is at all possible might we pick this up in the next hour or two." Ewan stepped away from the assistants and their tape and went to stand behind Fern. He loomed over her and the couch and placed a hand gently on her shoulder. "I think I might need a moment to sit down. I'm suddenly feeling quite dizzy." Ewan smiled blandly at the man as he took in the request.

"Ah yes. Of course." Elliot looked less than pleased but stood and bowed as Ewan side stepped the couch and took Ferns hand.

"We shall speak later." And with that the couple left the room, and walked down the hall towards the family quarters. When they were a ways away from any prying ears Ewan let out a breath. "I guess I wasn't quite ready for other people..." He confessed, leading them both down the hall and down a narrow corridor.

Fern let herself be taken by the hand as Ewan fled the now crowded room. He escaped to the family quarters and sighed heavily, murmuring his reasons. Ewan lead her to his tower room, and Fern sat next to him on the bed as he let himself sink into the mattress. Fern began to speak, quietly as she undid the buttons on his suit-jacket for him and began to untie his tie with practiced fingers.

"That was quite overwhelming." She agreed "And even though you were so uncomfortable, you stood up for me. Thank you, Ewan. I can't tell you how much that means to me." He gave her a small smile in response to her words. Fern put his tie on her lap, then reached over and took out his cuff-links, too. The small sapphires glittered beautifully even in the relatively dim light of the room. Finally, she reached up to his neck and undid the first two buttons of his collar. Her warm fingers just barely brushed against the skin of his neck, and she withdrew hastily, a blush upon her cheeks. "Forgive me, that was an accident." Fern said "I only meant to help you feel more comfortable." She got up and placed the accessories on his cluttered desk, then came back to sit beside him. She took off her heels and tucked her legs under her, now cold in the thin satin dress.

"Listen, I've had an idea." She said "A few actually." Ewan perked up at her words ans she smiled brightly. "First, since we're engaged now, how about we go on our first date? It seems only proper that we do so. I was thinking maybe a picnic in the palace gardens? Or the greenhouse, maybe? You can give me a tour." He seemed to think for a moment about her words, and she continued. "My other idea is more of a favor, really." She confessed sheepishly. "I was hoping you would accompany me to the auditions of the ballet company. I talked it over with your mother's publicist and he thinks it's a good idea for me to go, to improve my image. I know it will be rather boring for you, so you don't have to come, of course."

Ewan settled on the bed and felt a small jump of surprise as Fern moved to make a more comfortable space for him. She thanked him for standing up for her and he felt the heat of blush move over his cheeks. He found he didn't quite know what to say so he let her continue on, her graceful fingers making light work of his tie and the constricting buttons of his jacket. As she was finishing up with the top few buttons of his shirt, her fingers brushed lightly against the freckled skin there and he felt a sharp intake of breath. Normally Ewan was not a fan of touch, he found it jarring and unexpected, however as it had always been from Fern; her touch sent a pleasant hum through him. Quickly she backed away, using the moment to apologize and put his accessories away.

"I do feel much better." Ewan said thoughtfully, his eyes trained on her as she slipped the heels off her feet. "Thank you." He murmured in an afterthought as she went to to sit beside him. The bed shifted as she settled and he found himself reaching out to place a hand on one of her folded knees. It was comforting to feel the heat of her through the satin and sheer stockings she wore. At her mention of ideas he lifted his hand and turned his complete attention on her.

The idea of a date pleased him, it sent a warm rush through his belly and he nodded emphatically. He let her continue on to her second idea and a wide grin split over his face at the mention of seeing her preform.

"That would not be boring at all!" He said scooting closer to her on instinct. "Those few times I've seen you dance have been spectacular. I would be more than happy to support you on this endeavor. Besides I've been watching through a number of those ballets you wrote to me about. I have that box seat now at the theatre." In his excitement he bounced a little on the bed jostling Fern and moving her closer to him until their thighs touched and shoulder met with each bounce.

"As for the date I think that's a perfect idea. Would you give me till tomorrow for it? I must arrange a few things." Ewan said, not noticing how close they had grown in proximity, truly he found such sweet comfort in her.

Fern was delighted that he was so enthused at her ideas, and she beamed up at him happily. He placed one hand upon her knee, and soon after became so close they were practically on top of each other. Fern found herself blushing at the closeness. She could see how Ewan had no concern at all for it, and though her heart was still racing, just slightly, she laughed.

"You really are something else, my prince." She murmured. Ewan cocked his head slightly at her words, looking puzzled. Fern shook her head and giggled again. "You know, if it were anyone else I would think they were going for the long con--and being quite coy about it too. No wonder half the women in the kingdom fantasize about you, Ewan. Your charms are wonderfully subtle." Ewan looked, perhaps, even ore perplexed at her explanation, and she just shook her head. Fern took his face in her hands, looking into his eyes with a soft smile. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?" He shook his head gently and Fern smiled wider. "Oh, what am I going to do with you, your highness?" She placed a single, chaste kiss upon his forehead, then released his face. A knock sounded at the door, and after a moment a maid let herself in. After curtsying, she said

"Your highness, it is already passed lunchtime. The lady must start her lessons now. Please forgive the interruption." The couple stood, and Fern hung on to Ewan's arm while she slipped her shoes back on. After straightening, she looked to him.

"My lessons for tomorrow break around one, and resume at three. You can come by my room and pick me up then, alright?" She squeezed his arm gently and smiled. Knowing her lessons and his duties would keep them separated until that time, she bid him goodbye softly. "I hope you have a wonderful day, your highness."
~

The next day was going to be warm and sunny despite the late autumn--a perfect day for an outside picnic. Knowing they would be observed by the press, the queen sent over a stylist for Fern, and after her morning lessons she dressed. Fern wore subtle makeup and her kinky hair down. Minimal, elegant jewelry, along with a long white linen dress that had large flowers embroidered on the bodice. Some comfortable leather sandals, a sun hat and round sunglasses completed the look. Peaches was going to accompany them, so she strapped him into his harness. Fern then stepped outside her room and waited in the hallway, humming softly.

Finally, some real time alone. It would be wonderful to just breathe for a moment--even if that moment was fleeting. They spent so much time apart already with their busy schedules, and Ewan looked so happy when she suggested it. Fern was very excited herself, of course.

"What am I going to do with you, your highness?"

The words echoed in his mind long after they had parted, it had sent Ewan into a bit of a tailspin in overthinking, what ever could that mean? He debated in his head asking her to clarify but decided there were far more important things to be focusing on. Their date was nigh and he had arranged a lovely little set up for an outdoor picnic near the wrought iron wall and greenhouse. Sara had done her best only to meddle a little but it was clear she has been overcome with the notion of the perfect afternoon. Ewan had come to her late in the evening the day before asking for permission to use the services of one of the castle decorators.

Sara had taken the small idea for an intimate picnic and turned it up to eleven. Clothes had been sent to each of the couples and Ewan found himself in a cozy beige cardigan with brown patches on its elbows. Pressed grey slacks and brown lace up shoes had Ewan feeling a bit like a private school teacher. He looked over his reflection for a minute or two before finally deciding to clip his hair back with a practiced motion. He took a few more swipes at his beard with a comb before he realized that his hands were a little shaky. It occurred to Ewan this was perchance the first official date of his choosing he had been on. Certainly there had been other meetings with potential queen candidates but Fern had been the first to let him choose. Wiping the sweat from his palms and grabbing a small box, Ewan left his tower room and headed down to the yard.

The picnic area had been set up with soft lighting draped above connecting between a weeping willow and the roof of the greenhouse. Press already stood on the other side of the gate with their cameras at the ready. They were still a safe distance away from them that the press would not be able to overhear their chatter as they dined together. Plush cushions and a low table rested on a grey plaid blanket. On the table a fine assortment of snacking food, as well as a bottle of champagne stood ready to be consumed. Ewan pulled out the little box he had taken with him and placed it neatly on the table. Its contents held a little game he had found online, it was a deck of cards that asked unique questions to spark conversation. While Ewan had never had difficulty speaking to Fern he found on the other arranged dates it proved most useful.

The excided murmur of the press alerted Ewan to his dates presence. He turned finding Fern walking happily towards him as graceful as ever. Her cat Peaches trotting happily alongside her.

"Welcome." Ewan said as she drew nearer. Following his intuition he offered her his arm and led her towards the table in all its finery. "I hope this will do. I'm afraid it's not entirely my doing. Mother got a bit carried away with what I had initially envisioned." His flushed coloured his cheeks as the two of them sank to the plush cushions together.

Fern laughed in delight at the setting--it was certainly of royal proportions. Ewan offered her his arm, and she took it gladly, noticing his blush as they settled in.

"Thank you very much, your highness." She smiled, before tying Peaches' leash to the leg of the tea table so he could roam freely but not wander. "It is beautiful, please, do not apologize." Fern squeezed his hand with both her own, just below the table so the press could not see. "There's been quite a turn out, are you going to be okay?" She looked into his eyes, slight worry creasing her features. Ewan gave her a small nod and a gentle smile, and she relaxed. For a while they talked idly about nothing and enjoyed the meal. Fern picked up a piece of fruit on her fork and held it out to him expectantly. The press clamored loudly and Ewan looked both confused and bashful.

Fern gave a gentle smile. "I know it's intimidating, but I would do this even if they weren't here, so let's pretend they aren't. It's our date--so it should be ours alone, right?" Ewan hesitantly leaned forward and took the food from her fork, and Fern laughed as he pulled away. "Oh, your highness, hold still a moment." She took a napkin and leaned forward, gently wiping the juice from his chin. He seemed to redden quite a bit, which made her giggle again. "You're certainly something, your highness. Where is the man from last night who touched me so boldly?" Ewan blushed heavily at her comment, averting his eyes and coughing slightly. "I'm just teasing, I promise. I didn't mean to fluster you so." Though Fern thought he was adorable when he was bashful. Eventually, they finished the food and Ewan showed her the card game he brought. He shuffled the deck and laid it down, indicating she should go first with a slight waive of his hand.

Fern straightened, and Peaches let out a loud yawn from next to them as he lay basking in the sun. She drew the first card and her eyebrows rose in surprise. "And you didn't rig this game, your highness?"

"N-No!" Ewan assured hurriedly, looking worried "You can choose another, of course." Fern shook her head and placed one hand on his to calm him.

"I was teasing again, sire. Please forgive me. I'll answer, of course. It's only fair." She returned her eyes to the card and read teh question aloud for him. "Would you rather be the pursuer, or the pursued?" She let the card rest on her bottom lip for a moment as she thought. "Well, I suppose I'd rather be pursued. It would be so romantic to be courted like in a novel or movie, don't you think?" She gave him a bright smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes "Who wouldn't love it? To be told you are peerlessly beautiful, to have someone be so passionately attracted to you they would fight for your hand? Or to have someone look at you in that desperate, hungry way that makes your toes curl?" She released she'd been rambling, and looked away, blushing heavily. "Forgive me, your highness. I'm not making much sense, am I? I didn't mean to prattle on like that.."

It was funny how one moment Fern was the most comforting person Ewan had ever had the pleasure of dining with. The soft murmurs and shutters of the presses cameras slowly faced into the distance as Fern wove Ewan's brain into a slow thrum of peace and... something else. With each passing moment Ewan found himself slipping deeper into something that felt forbidden in a way. Fern was his oldest friend, and soon she was to be his wife, yet what he felt here felt so much deeper than that. His cheeks were aflame as she fed and wiped away the remains of the fruit in his moment of clumsiness.

He could still feel where she had touched him, it remained like a tingling warm pressure on his chin. Part of him wanted to touch over it to see if he could replicate the feeling but the other half treasured the sensation so much he could not bear the thought of ridding himself of the feeling. He instead went to shuffle the little card game he had brought, realizing now they had not needed it until after the meal. That truly was a record.

Fern began to answer the question on her card and Ewan listened intently as the words spilled from her mouth, getting breathier and thoughtful as she went. She trailed off just as he was beginning to enjoy the notion of what she had said. Certainly there was something quite pleasing about the hunger she spoke about, he had not given the concept much thought before. He could see it as she described, his own imagination bringing to life the image of Fern high up in the tower with him, she practiced her routine for the ballet in the open space; it was late at night and the stars shone through the open balcony door. Ewan had entered the room thinking only of her and finding her twisting her body to the low rhythmic beat the music set. He wasted no time going to her, making a little gasp of surprise exit her lips as he deftly had her backing up until her shoulders hit a near by wall. He towered over her, and she looked up at him with wide eyes, her mouth open... waiting for his kiss.

It was at this moment Ewan realized he had been quiet for far too long. By this time Fern had looked away from him, her face set in uncomfortable shame at her perceived overshare.

"Fern." Ewan had to clear his throat, his voice had gone gruff. "I think for once I do understand." He said softly, and finding he could not keep his thoughts to himself he confessed, "I was imagining what it would be like, the way you described. It was..." He trailed off unable to find the words. Clearing his throat again, Ewan reached over and took a big gulp of his champagne before grabbing a card for himself. He needed to move the conversation along otherwise his head would set aflame with how read he was turning.

"What is your most secret dream?" Ewan read aloud and considered for a long moment, again the truth came easy around her. "Often I dream about what life would be like were I not a prince... perhaps I could be a farmer. Or a hermit alone in the woods." He chuckled at the idea, forcing the deep pang of sadness away from his heart.

Fern quieted when Ewan answered his question. There was something in his eyes as he said it--something melancholy and wistful. She moved closer to him as he placed the card onto the table. She placed one hand onto his knee, and leaned forward to press her forehead to his. Fern looked into his eyes and have him a small smile.

"Your highness," She murmured "I'm sorry that you feel that way." She moved her head back "I can't imagine how trapped you must feel at times. The weight of the crown is too heavy for any one person." She clasped both his hands on hers and spoke earnestly "But you'll never be alone again, okay? No matter what happens, I'm here now. I know I can never fully take this from you, but please, let me help you shoulder the burden." Ewan blinked, processing what she had told him. Finally, he smiled, looking relieved and happy. Fern moved away and gave him a bashful smile in return. "Forgive me for being so forward, your highness. I seem to be causing you quite a stir." They settled down again, and Fern drew another card.

She started, slightly, but composed herself and read the card aloud. "Explain your worst nightmare." Fern sighed, looking suddenly, very tired. "I've had one nightmare since I was a child that never seems to go away. I'm dancing on stage--the pas de deux for Sleeping Beauty. Suddenly, my partner vanishes. There's no one there to catch me after my jump. I fall onto the stage and hurt my legs, and the audience begins to laugh and jeer. The spotlight is too hot, too bright, I can't see anything. I am back as I was before, and my skin crawls. Everyone calls me an imposter, and...unworthy." Fern quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and looked up again as she placed the card down. "Pretty silly, isn't it? A bad performance is my worst nightmare." She looked away, self conscious. Peaches plodded over and flopped onto her lap. She buried her hand onto his soft fur, grateful for the anchor.

The nightmare was vivid and certainly something that would scare the bravest of souls. Ewan got lost in the retelling of the tale so much so that he missed for a minute the tears that began to fall. It was only when the murmurings and more frequent shutter of high zoom lenses caught his attention. At first his eyes went to the crowd as the press seemed to push them selves so tightly against the fence their clothes and equipment seemed to be bursting to get through, confused Ewan turned back to Fern and saw the glimmer of tears on her ebony cheeks.

"Oh Fern." Not wishing to disturb her more with this new revelation Ewan quickly reached for a napkin and pulled it from the table in an effort to dry her tears. Unfortunately for him the napkin had been placed slightly under the base of his champagne glass, with his tug the crystal goblet upended and spilled its contents over the the laps of the couple. "Shit." Ewan quickly thrust the napkin at Fern for her tears and rushed to find another item to sop up the mess he had created.

"Why is she crying Crown Prince?!" A voice shouted reaching them. "Are you having second thoughts?!"

A flush deeper than the ripest pomegranate coloured his cheeks and nose as Ewan struggled not to let his frustration and anger overtake him. Of course the first date of his choosing he would absolutely flub up, Sophie was right he was the worst at this, she had been more than happy to send him multiple articles on how to be a better partner over the past few days. Trying to push the intrusive thoughts of his utter failure out of the way Ewan jumped to his feet and offered Fern his hand. Despite the colouring on his cheeks he offered he his most charming smile reserved for situations when he wanted to curl up and die and only he was allowed to know that.

"Shall we get cleaned up then? I'm so sorry Fern."

Fern was startled by the rapid sequence of events that unfolded, and the cold Champaign hit her lap with an unpleasant splash and a yowl from Peaches. Fern quickly took Ewan's hand, and the two retreated into the castle again. They came to Fern's rooms, and were both soaked in alcohol. Ewan seemed frustrated and despondent at the same time. She could see the mask he put up for the public still firmly in place. Fern gently placed her hand upon his cheek and looked earnestly into his eyes.

"Ewan, stop that right now." She said sternly. he looked startled, his eyes widening a bit as he looked down at her. "I don't know what's going on up there, but it's obviously nothing good. Please," She sighed softly, tenderly tucking a stray hair behind his ear. "please don't put that wall up around me. I'm going to be your wife. You can tell me everything, and express whatever you need to. If you bottle it up...then I won't know what to do." Before she could continue a maid entered the room with fresh clothes for Ewan. Fern pulled away and blushed heavily. The maid left without a word and Fern looked to Ewan again. "Look, we should both shower. I guess we're lucky I have two bathrooms." She smiled weakly and the two parted. After a while, Fern sent peaches out. He was terribly disgruntled and wet from his own bath. The cat slunk out of the room and laid down in a sunspot to dry.

Fern came out after, wrapped up in a pink fuzzy robe and slippers to match. Her hair was still fluffy and dry, and she came to sit beside Ewan on the bed. "Ewan, I am so sorry for ruining our date." She had taken one of his hands in her own, and held up the other to stop his protests. "It was my fault, you know. I should have foregone that question entirely. Or been composed enough to answer without causing a scene. It was just so wonderful--I forgot we were in public. I was too comfortable around you and lost myself. I'm sorry for that." She squeezed his hand and looked down, ashamed.

Fern's tone and clear understanding of the hidden cracks below the surface sent him into a mute state. Blinking in surprise and perhaps a bit more shame that he had not been hiding well enough, Ewan listened as Fern laid her cards out on the table for him. When she was finished she sent him off to the shower. Pausing only to pick up the clothes that had been left for him Ewan retreated to the safety of the second bathroom and turned on the spray of the -no expense spared- rainfall shower head. Heat came to the water quickly and soon the room was filled with steam as Ewan carefully removed his clothes. He hesitated for a moment catching his reflection in the fogging mirror, with a hand he wiped at the surface and revealed his face. With curious eyes he tried his press smile and found it to be his usual smile reserved for the press and outings.

"Not too much teeth, we don't need people thinking you belong into an institution. For god's sake Ewan now you look absolutely miserable, we can't have the world thinking that. Just a bit more... smidge more... There perfect!"

The voices of so many teachers and mentors echoing in his head Ewan let the smile drop from his face and stepped away from mirror and into the shower. There was something terrifying and yet comforting about Fern being able to see through his façade. Would she be able to handle the burdens and Queendom as well as the mind of her King? Ewan could not imagine such a daunting life but Fern seemed to want it from him. Resolving to do better by her Ewan finished up quickly and dressed in what was thankful quite a comfortable set of clothes. Black joggers and an old grey t-shirt that was just a tiny bit too small on him. The logo on the front held a potted plant with the words "thyme to garden" next to it.

Coming back to the main part of Fern's new rooms Ewan settled on the bed and peeked over at some suitcases that still sat waiting to be unpacked. He was certain she would have more boxes arriving soon from home and she could go about making these rooms to feel more like home. As he contemplated what her room had looked like previously Fern came up and sat next to him, her hand linked with his. She began to apologize and Ewan was ready to protest that it was in fact his fault when she went on to explain. He listened carefully and found himself unsure of what to say, he squeezed her hand back as he thought of what to say.

"I don't think you have anything to apologize for Fern... Truly I am grateful you shared that with me. I think perhaps I understand you wanting transparency from me, if it feels as rewarded as I feel now for your honestly." He bumped his shoulder into hers and caught her gaze when she lifted her head. The shared a moment of silence. "Maybe our next date can be away from prying eyes, as we can pretend that its actually our first date." He chuckled lightly. "I don't want you to have to feel like you have to hide yourself, you didn't ruin anything. I'm certain already the PR managers are doing their thing and it will blow over." Ewan bit his lower lip wanting to share a bit more of himself with her.

"Many years ago I got in the papers for accidently setting fire to one of the judges during his 50th year of judging party. It's those damn wigs, the ones with the white curls, they're so... flammable. I think it only took about a month for the press to stop believing I was vying for the judges death." Ewan felt the familiar heat of the blush as it touched his ears and nose. "Thankfully the press has much less to work with now." He told her.

Fern smiled gently as Ewan comforted her. She leaned her head against his shoulder and sighed heavily. She squeezed his hand and spoke softly.

"Thank you, Ewan. Hearing you say that helps so much. I'm afraid becoming queen is a little daunting. I feel as if I'm holding my breath all the time, just waiting to mess up again. I don't want anything I do to hurt you. I never expected to marry this high, you know?" Ewan squeezed her hand back, and brought his other arm around her shoulders. The warmth of his arm was comforting more than she would like to admit, and Fern gave a smaller sigh. "I would love to have a do-over with you, truly. Maybe a movie night? This bed is certainly big enough for the three of us. Have you ever seen Princess Tutu? It's one of my favorite anime's of all time!" She lifted her head to look at him and he smiled, looking excited. "It's only twelve episodes, so we'll have to set up a few different viewings, does that sound alright?"

Before he could answer, there was a knock on the door. A soft voice called through that it was time for the prince to depart. The couple stood, and Fern stood up on her toes to kiss his cheek. "Have a great day, your highness." She said, before releasing his hand as he went to the door. Fern dressed and spent the rest of the day in her lessons, before falling into bed that night exhausted.
~

Three days later Fern was packed and ready to get to the audition. She was inside the limousine, wearing her workout gear and biting her lips red. She fidgeted with the seat-belt as she waited for Ewan. Fern was so nervous she hadn't slept at all, and put on makeup to look less tired. They were going to be a half hour early, but still she worried. Hopefully the prince wouldn't be held up too long.. It would be good to see him, though. They had only texted in the past few days, so hearing his voice again would be a wonderful balm for her nerves. Having him at teh audition would help even more.

Ewan struggled to appear interested as he slowly tried to inch his way towards the double oak doors that held his freedom. Before him stood a rather slight man with a thin frame and small spatting of hair on his chin that Ewan assumed was the start of a goatee.

"As I was saying your majesty..." His voice was nasally and Ewan found that the name Herpert suited him well. "We have a number of important visitors on their way to the palace in the coming weeks. What with the King and Queen staying focused on more health matters we think it prudent your involvement in public matters increase in frequency." Herpert droned on and Ewan turned his head to look at the doors for a moment. His phone beeped in his pocket and Ewan took out the device with a small muttered apology.

"Ah forgive me Herpert it appears our time is up. I must venture with my fiancé to her audition." Ewan breathed a sigh of relief grateful to have this meeting out of the way. Herpert had served for a number of years now as a go between advisor between the royals and politicians. He was quite good at his job, maneuvering people like pawns on the board to get policies and laws written.

"If I may your majesty, perhaps your time might be better spent-" Herpert cut off at the sound of the oak doors closing and the sound of Ewan's shoes rhythmically tapping against the marble floors as he jogged away. With a sigh the middle aged man pulled out his own phone and began to make his calls.

~

Ewan raced as gracefully and prince like as he could towards the limo, he was out of time to change into something more comfortable so he took off his suit jacket and tie depositing them on the banister of one of the many stair cases. With a grateful sigh his top few buttons of his dress shirt were undone and the sleeves were rolled up his arms. He was finished adjusting just as he exited the castle for the open air. He saw the limo and increased his pace. Fern opened the door for him from the inside as she spotted him.

"So sorry! Hopefully we aren't late." Ewan said sliding in and closing the door behind him.

"Just on time sir." The driver said from the front. He was a kindly looking man with grey hair slicked back and a warm smile. "Not a worry, we'll get you there on time."

"Thank you Norman." Ewan said. Norman tipped his black hat and then pressed the button to lift the divider, giving the two of them privacy for the first time in a few days. Leaning his head back against the seat rest Ewan let out a long breath and looked over at his future bride. "Hey..." He said somewhat breathlessly, his attention was drawn to the form fitting work out gear she wore. He wasn't sure what it was about her and he did not have the time to filter himself when he spoke next. "You look pretty." His brow furrowed at the use of 'pretty.' "Hang on that's not it. Pretty doesn't seem like enough... maybe beautiful..." He stopped again considering. "Perhaps there isn't a word to describe how I see you in this moment." He flushed a little at the end but held her gaze.

"I can't wait to see you on stage."

Ewan's sweet words made Fern blush bright red, and for the first time in days she laughed. Pressing one hand over her throbbing heart, she couldn't tell if it was his sweet, sincere words or her nerves that made her heart beat so. Seeing him excited made her so happy. Maybe even more so because it was she who caused it. Fern placed one hand over his and gave him a smile.

"Thank you, Ewan. You're much better at flirting that you realize, you know that?" He flushed all over again, and looked startled at her words. Fern laughed again and squeezed his hand as the vehicle began to move. "I'm excited, too! Mostly nervous, though. I've followed most of these dancers for years through the news, they're all so vastly talented." She sighed and sat back against her own seat, beginning to worry her lip again. "Of course, I don't know if they're going to accept me because I'm also talented, or because I'm your betrothed. I know it's a lot, but I do so wish for it to be the former. I would hate to be taken in so unfairly." Ewan reached over to soothe her, placing one hand upon his shoulder. For the rest of the drive they talked idly about palace affairs and their various schedules. Finally, they arrived, and Fern was nervous all over again. She looked to Ewan and took his hand again, lacing their fingers together. Raising his hand to her lips, she kissed his knuckles once, then looked up as she dropped his hand. "For good luck." She told him, and giggled a bit at his expression.

They entered the auditorium, waived through by security, which had been tripled because of their outing. Ewan took a seat a few rows back from the stage, still close enough to see everything clearly, but far enough not to be distracting and to give the dancers space. Many were onstage already, warming up or talking to one another. Several more peppered the rows just before the stage. All were throwing glances at him and Fern.

Fern went to the director to sign in. "Fern LaRose, to check in, please." She said. The thin, stern woman before her looked up over her glasses.

"Thank you, Lady LaRose. Go warm up, please. We'll be auditioning in alphabetical order. And no use of gifts is allowed, of course."

"Of course. I understand completely." She acended the stage and did her best to ignore the stares and whispers. She found a quiet spot on stage to warm up seperately from the others. After about a half hour of that, everyone filed offstage into seats. The director stood and addressed them.

"Now, I know you all are excited about auditioning and our unexpected guests. But," She looked firmly at the crowd "We will all be professionals about this. No discrimination, no, how you say 'fangirling'. Everyone who is picked will be picked on talent alone, not reputation. I don't want anyone who preforms here today to be spreading slander to the press. If I find out you do, I will have you summarily barred from dancing professionally. Is that clear?" Silence greeted her in response, to which she nodded and sat. After an hour and a half, it was Fern's turn. The music began once she took position, and she began to dance the solo from Sleeping Beauty, Act 1.

The stage was vast and in a state of half built scenes that scattered around the back. Up front Ewan could see a number of the dancers all in various styles of gear and colour. He paid close attention to the director as they gave their speech and sent the dancers on their way. Soft music filled the stage for two to five minutes as each dancer took their chance for the spotlight. Music choice went from sad and lilting to upbeat with the rapid pull of the violin strings. When finally the time came for Fern to begin Ewan sat up his hands coming together in earnest. Absently he rubbed at the spot where her lips had touched earlier and smiled as the melody from her solo began.

Fern was pure liquid grace and with each step and lift of her leg Ewan found himself more and more captivated. He could see the strength in her calves as they bunched together to keep her steady and fluid. He found his gaze lingering especially at the small of her back where that curve met her hip bone, fascinated with how she moved Ewan did his best to ignore the vibration suddenly emanating from his back pocket. Thank the gods he had thought to switch it away from the loud ringtone he normally had. Ewan would have curled up and died if he had interrupted Ferns routine. It stopped after a few moments, the caller being sent to voice mail, given only a few seconds reprieve Ewan kept his gaze on Fern as the song began to pick up tempo despite the incessant buzzing.

He watched in pure awe as Fern began a series of turns and keeping herself up on her toes and arms in a perfect loop above her head. It was incredible the sheer strength she had to keep her face light and smiling while preforming feats that he could not even begin to attempt. He thought of taking her out after this adventure and celebrating the amazing moment she was currently displaying. Quickly he thought of a number of places that they could play hooky from the duties for the next while and thought perhaps Fern might like to visit a nearby royally funded conservatory. She could see some of the rare species of plants that he helped propagate and graft.

It took all of his power not to clap in earnest for Fern when she finished and he quickly took a moment to pull out his phone discreetly and ignore the sixth call he was receiving and just turn the damn thing off. Excited to meet Fern after the rest of the group went Ewan bounced his knees up and down finding himself unable to keep still.

Fern finished her audition and gave a quick bow before exiting the stage. She wiped her face and neck with her towel and took a swig out of her water bottle, releasing a long sigh. That had been more exhilarating and nerve wracking than she'd ever imagined. She sat down with the group of finished dancers who were all whispering quietly amongst themselves. Next to her was a strong, lithe man with long black hair and chiseled features. He gave her a bright smile and leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"That was fantastic! You were absolutely stunning up there. The others won't admit it but you took our breath away." Fern blushed at his words and gave a bashful smile.

"Thank you. I loved your performance as well, The Nutcracker is a wonderful show." He beamed back at her. They whispered back and forth for the last leg of the audition. He laid heavy praise upon her, one after the other, until she was scarlet. He seemed to enjoy her reactions. Once the last dancer finished, Fern stood and hurried to Ewan. He greeted her with a massive smile.

"I'm so sorry to make you wait your highness! I hope you enjoyed the performances." The man she'd been talking to, Theodore, came up to them and gave a deep bow.

"May the blessings of the kingdom be upon you, your highness." He straightened and looked to Fern again, who avoided his gaze. "I was just telling your fiance how absolutely ravishing she is, not to mention a phenomenal dancer." He laughed aloud as Fern blushed again and took a step towards Ewan. "You're one lucky man, sire. I don't know how you keep your hands off her. You're stronger than I, for I would be a fool before her for the world to see." Fern blushed even more, unsure what to do under such attentions. Theodore bowed again, and took Ferns hand in his own. He laid a lingering kiss onto her knuckles, locking eyes with her all the while. "I do hope to see you at callbacks, Lady LaRose. This show cannot fail if they should cast you in it."

"T-thank you, Theodore. Good luck to you as well." He departed from them, and Fern turned to Ewan with a worried expression. "I'm sorry about that, Ewan. I've never met him before, I really have no idea what he was on about. I think he was trying to get in my good graces because of our relationship. But, goodness, that was a lot." She lightly fanned her face as she wanted him, hoping he hadn't been too upset by his actions.

Ewan found himself rather speechless at the man who had decided to tag along behind Fern, his eyes narrowed as lavish praise was layered on Fern. Of course Ewan agreed with Theodore but when the man spoke of how he would act, were he in a relationship with Fern, Ewan found his eyes narrowing at the dancer. Ewan took in the strong shoulders and arms, and the even stronger jawline and immediately decided he hoped that Theodore would not be receiving a call back. For a moment he considered calling a in a few favours and encouraging the director to make certain choices with rather large sums of money but of course that would be petty and awful. Ewan could dream however.

"Indeed, best of luck." Was all Ewan could manage before Theodore hurried off and left the two of them alone. Ewan followed the man as he exited the room and stared at the door a bit longer, it was only then that he realized his fists were clenched tightly against his sides. With great effort, Ewan slowly uncurled his hands and forced his mind towards the woman in front of him. "Don't worry about it." Wishing to steer the conversation away from his dark thoughts and mood Ewan focused on the idea that had bloomed during her dance.

"You were absolutely lovely up there Fern. I am... proud." He struggled to find the right word for a moment but found he liked the fit of 'proud.' "When you dance, it's so clear to me that is where your passions lie. You looked so free up there." Ewan said a bit wistfully. Unable to help himself and perhaps a little bit to prove to himself that he was in fact the future husband of Fern Ewan reached out a pressed a cool hand to her jaw. The heat of her hard work emanated from her body and he felt it even before he touched her skin. His thumb brushed just next to her lips and he was toughtfully quiet for a moment as he looked down at her. She really was beautiful, with her big soulful eyes and endearing smile.

"I was thinking." He murmured lightly, keeping up the steady rhythm of his thumb. "Perhaps you might like to celebrate with me, after all a performance like that certainly earns you a bit of a break. I would like to take you to the conservatory on the way home. There is a lovely rooftop patio next door to it that on looks the river. Would that interest you?"

Fern nearly melted at Ewan's gentle touch to her cheek. His cool hand was refreshing, and his gaze was intense upon hers with a look she had never seen before. He spoke of a small outing and Fern gave him a warm smile. Placing her hand over his, she nodded.

"That sounds beautiful, Ewan. I can't wait to see it. Will it be alright if I go dressed like this?" Before he could respond, one of his guards spoke up.

"An outfit was packed for you, Lady LaRose." He handed over a neatly folded paper package. Ewan and Fern both looked at him with mild surprise, and he shrugged. "Orders are orders." Fern took the outfit, a white ribbed turtleneck with a pink jacket and high waited jeans and went to change. Fashionable but modest. She returned and the couple set off. Soon they were at the conservatory, and Ewan held the door open for her. Fern entered the room and gasped, twirling to take at all in. The large glass structure was filled to bursting with plants in bloom. The late afternoon sun filtered through the windows and basked the whole space with a warm glow. Fern turned back to look at Ewan and her heart fluttered at the sight of the crown prince, illuminated and smiling so gently down at her.

"Ewan..." She said softly, marveling at him "You are stunning." Realizing what she had said, Fern blushed madly and shut her mouth. "I-I'm sorry, forgive my babbling.." She looked away and folded her hands behind her back.

"You are stunning."

The words had Ewan freezing a moment, his smile stuck firmly in place as his brain rebooted with that new information. "Ah, thank you?" He didn't mean to turn it to a question but he couldn't seem to stop the higher octave near the end there. He moved a few steps closer as Fern looked away from him, her dark skin moving to deeper shades as she tried to hide her embarrassment from him. He found the action quite endearing and continued the distance until he was next to her. He leaned sideways and soon her shoulder was touching just above his elbow as he leaned against her. Giving her a sideways glance he nudged her gently until she looked at him.

"I think those were supposed to be my words." He joked lightly trying to ease her. The call of a bird caught his attention and both Fern and Ewan looked up as a bright green parrot flew overhead. "Rescues that wouldn't make it back in the wild." Ewan stated. "This conservatory has a number of them, they have full reign here. Except for some of the more experimental areas, those are in separate areas." There was another squawk and a macaw landed on a nearby branch, it contemplated the two of them for a moment.

The macaw then let out a loud police siren noise before screaming at them, "Run bitch, run!"

"Ah, that's our dear friend Pascal. I've been told his owners before coming here were quite... colourful in their actions." Ewan supplied already quite used to the birds antics. "Shall we?" Ewan asked gesturing for Fern to begin down a cobble path that forked. The two of them began to trek down the left most path and Ewan took his time explaining how the different plants and trees came to be there, and if they did anything special. Pascal was happy to add his own quips here and there when the mood struck him.

The tour was wonderful. Ewan was alight with excitement as he explained how each plant came to reside there, and how he facilitated the move of them. They toured the entire facility that way, and Fern held onto Ewan's arm just smiling all the while. Seeing him talk about his passion so openly was so refreshing. They spent hours there until the early evening, until finally settling on the patio beside the conservatory.

"Ewan, this was wonderful, thank you." Fern reached across the small iron table and grasped his hand in hers. She gave him a bright smile, before one of the guards came up and cleared his throat.

"Sir, a gift from her majesty." Suddenly, a finely dressed waiter emerged from the conservatory carrying a silver platter with finger foods on it. A second one emerged after with two flutes and Champaign. They set the table between the couple and the first began to speak.

"Tonight's dinner will be three courses. Horsd'oeuvres have been served presently. The main course is roast duck in a honey glaze with fresh greens. Dessert is a banana split to share." He gave a sharp bow. The security guard quietly handed Fern a slip of paper with the queen's scrawl. Fern read it quickly, then smiled. Looking over to Ewan she began to read the note aloud.

"Lady LaRose, congratulations on your audition. We wanted to give you a small token of thanks for making our son smile. Toast to love and success and enjoy the view from the conservatory tonight with your meal. Ewan certainly loves it there."

Ewans heart warmed at the kind words from his parents, they had been so welcome and opening to his choice and he knew he made the right choice. All through the evening Fern had been nothing but patient and a most eager listener as he rambled on and on about the work the conservatory had done. He had not noticed the passage of time until they had switched from the pretty glass halls and plants to the evening sky over the patio. A small part of him wondered if Fern would eagerly listen to just about anyone, the image of the fit visage of Theodore flashed over his minds eye and he felt small tendrils gripping at him at the notion.

"Mother always had a flair for doing 'too much.'" Ewan's fingers made quotations with the words he wished to emphasize and he did shook his head looking over the fine start of a meal before them. Lifting his glass to her he offered her a toast. "To our future." He spoke quietly, only loud enough for her to hear. As their glasses touched Ewan's niggling mind gave him another flash of Theodore, this time in his place. Toasting with Fern and celebrating her. Taking a sip of the cool bubbles Ewan could not contain himself any longer.

"What do you wish for in a husband, Fern?" There was an awkward pause as he struggled not to pour out all the thoughts in his mind before her. "I... I mean, I want to make sure my duties as husband are my top priority... or rather. Ah forgive me, I can't seem to get my thoughts straight. I'll put it plainly. I want to make you happy. For all you have done for me, I wish to be the sort of husband you deserve."

Fern started at the abrupt question, and placed her glass down to look at him. Ewan seemed very serious about this, looking at her earnestly. It seemed that something had sparked a...domestic? Feeling within him, perhaps. Fern placed her chin in her hand as she thought. There was certainly a long winded answer to tell him, but did he really want that? Could he handle her unfiltered thoughts? She gave a small sigh before sitting straight up and looking into his eyes.

"Well, I suppose I want what anyone wants from a marriage, Ewan. I want someone who will support me unconditionally, who will present with me as a united front even if in private we disagree. Someone who respects me, listens to me and who is willing to grow together and individually from our partnership. But I suspect you're asking for something different...?" He gave a nod, his eyes intent on hers as he listened. "Something I really want in a husband is someone who is kind, who will romance me a little." She laughed "Someone who will let me steal the covers and sleep on the left side of the bed." There was so much more to add that Fern simply couldn't say. Someone who's attracted to me. Someone who will put up with my incessant practicing. Someone who will get along with my difficult family. "I care about you, Ewan. I asked you, didn't I? I think you are going to be an amazing husband. You're kind, and sweet and effortlessly caring." Fern reached across the table and took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently, smiling at him. "What about you, Ewan? What do you want in a wife?"

She sat back and ate a little bit as he mulled it over.

Her hand was warm in his and Ewan looked down at the stark contrast their skin made, his pale against the deep umber of hers. She had given him plenty to think about of course, there was a slight tinge to his cheeks as she spoke of the two of them sleeping together and her cover hogging antics. Romance her? He could certainly do that, he would have to do much research on the matter. Ewan felt so new to the matters of his heart, and yet he could feel something doing its best to break free from within him. Since the arrival of Fern in his life she had certainly brought to life the dull hermit of a man who had preferred to be locked away in his tower with his plants. It hit him then that he had not partaken in any of his usual medicinal remedies since the night they had first met, he hadn't felt the need to dull anything. She turned the question back on him and Ewan mulled over the question, lost in his thoughts he absently brushed his thumb over the top of her knuckles before she sat back and began to eat.

"I think ultimately I want to smile and laugh more. Maybe someone who encourages me to get out a little more and experience what life has to offer, but also someone who enjoys cozy nights in and movie marathons." He smiled at the notion of lazy days spent with Fern and his eyes drifted up the curve of her arm and to the sweet little dip of where her neck met her jaw. "Someone who sees me as a man before royalty." She had done that for him already, with her hazel eyes and knowing smile that seemed to leave him a little short of breath.

Ewan could feel his thoughts shifting into something that again was not quite like the person he had grown accustomed to. Again a need seemed to flood through his veins, a need for her. All of her. He felt himself searching for the words, on how to explain what was going on to himself, however the server came by and quickly topped off their barely drank champagne. The man looked pointedly at their barely appetizers and Ewan let go of Ferns hand.

"I can ask the chef to delay the duck should you need, Your Highness."

"Ah no apologies. We'll get started right away here." Ewan said, dutifully picking up his fork and poking at the meal on his plate. The server made a noise of acknowledgement and slipped away from the table leaving them alone again. "You did amazing today, you truly did." Ewan said thinking again of her dancing on the stage. "I don't wish to jinx anything but I feel like you will most certainly be center stage in no time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back