Romantic Doubling

• A way to get two romantic stories going at once

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • A way to ask someone to play my love interest without being rude

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

rae2nerdy

left site
So Iike everyone else I am stuck at home for the next two weeks (at minimum) and I am looking to keep busy with roleplays. As such I have been hitting the interest checks a lot more aggressively than usual and I have noticed a lot of people that have "doubling" in their requests. Now from context, I know that it is specifically romantic doubling. Usually something to the tune of - I will play your crush if you play my crush for me.

Now my question is this: For people who do romantic pairings do you actually want to play your partner's crush? Like is part of the fun having two parallel romances going on at once? Or are you looking for more of a transactional situation? Sort of I scratch your back and you scratch my back kind of thing. In that case are you okay with your partner just playing your love interest and not playing a character for them in return?

Ex. Instead of Susie plays a male for Jan. So Jan has to play a male for Susie. It would be Susie plays a male for Jan. And Jan can choose whether she wants to play a second character or not.

As the second is usually the situation I propose to people who want to double. But this seems to throw people off so I was wondering if it was just because I was misunderstanding the question OR are they worried that I'm going to get resentful later that I'm playing their love interest and they aren't playing mine?

I prefer and only do doubling up. 1x1 just feels weird to me. Too personal maybe? Also, it throws me off too when someone after suggesting doubling up wants an 1x1. It's all about the story after all and I enjoy playin gboth parts. :)

I prefer and only do doubling up. 1x1 just feels weird to me. Too personal maybe? Also, it throws me off too when someone after suggesting doubling up wants an 1x1. It's all about the story after all and I enjoy playin gboth parts. :)

I wasn’t aware you could do doubling in groups tbh. Do you just make two characters for your group roleplays in general or do you make two for romance purposes?

Some people see doubling as 'playing more than one character' which is not necesserily the 2nd romantic couple. Just the additional characters that aren't the 'main' to give more life to the story. I usually call them NPCs but I've seen people mean that as doubling.

As far as the 'romantic doubling' goes, I usually offer to play the 'crush' for people without asking them to play one for me, but very picky about who I offer it to. I need to want to play the character they request and I need to like the character they want to play. So in situations when someone asks for a specific character, they don't need to return the favor. So far it worked well for me.

If and when anything romantic happens, I would rather just play the character they are looking for instead of having them play someone for me. Speaking from experience, I've encountered too many roleplayers who have offered to have secondary characters in a romantic sense but the portrayal of these characters take a hard backburner compared to how the play out their main so I don't even bother doubling for the romance.

I've only just thought of doubling for romance so seeing some consider it as playing multiple characters in a non romantic fashion is a bit interesting.

Some people see doubling as 'playing more than one character' which is not necesserily the 2nd romantic couple. Just the additional characters that aren't the 'main' to give more life to the story. I usually call them NPCs but I've seen people mean that as doubling.

I know there are folks like that but I was more talking about instances where people are flat out asking for romance. Ex. here is a list of all my crushes tell me yours OR If you play a crush for me I will play a crush for you

Depends on the rp for me. Usually I double because I have two good face claims that I can’t pick between. Occasionally it is the “play my crush and I’ll play yours” but I always put equivalent effort to both characters so it ends up being two unique romantic stories so a win-win.

Depends on the rp for me. Usually I double because I have two good face claims that I can’t pick between. Occasionally it is the “play my crush and I’ll play yours” but I always put equivalent effort to both characters so it ends up being two unique romantic stories so a win-win.

So my issue is more about - what do you do if your partner doesn’t want a second romance? Like they don’t have any desire for your second character to be romantically paired with their character. So you insist on two romances because that’s how you made the characters? Or are you okay with one romance and one relationship of your partners choosing?

Because in my mind I am not worried about whether or not your putting equal effort into two romances. I don’t want my character to be forced into a romantic pairing I don’t want to write.

I would rather it be ;

I make a love interest because that’s what you want. You either don’t make a second character at all OR you make a second character the fills a role I want.

To me that is what makes an even distribution of roles. Rather than essentially both my characters being put into relationships I didn’t request. Because to me it’s all about you at that point. I don’t care how well you write your characters if my sole purpose is to just write the stories you want all the time and none of the stories I want.

So my issue is more about - what do you do if your partner doesn’t want a second romance? Like they don’t have any desire for your second character to be romantically paired with their character. So you insist on two romances because that’s how you made the characters? Or are you okay with one romance and one relationship of your partners choosing?

Because in my mind I am not worried about whether or not your putting equal effort into two romances. I don’t want my character to be forced into a romantic pairing I don’t want to write.

I would rather it be ;

I make a love interest because that’s what you want. You either don’t make a second character at all OR you make a second character the fills a role I want.

To me that is what makes an even distribution of roles. Rather than essentially both my characters being put into relationships I didn’t request. Because to me it’s all about you at that point. I don’t care how well you write your characters if my sole purpose is to just write the stories you want all the time and none of the stories I want.
Ooh I see. I can’t say I’ve had partners with specific requests for their love interests. Unless the plot specifically calls for Muse A has to be x role with x y z personality (I stay away from specific plots that already lays out how the character is developed). I don’t mind if my partner doesn’t want a second romance as long as I have some sort of voice in how the story flows. Otherwise its not really a healthy or attractive rp if I’m just forced to write how they want.

Ooh I see. I can’t say I’ve had partners with specific requests for their love interests. Unless the plot specifically calls for Muse A has to be x role with x y z personality (I stay away from specific plots that already lays out how the character is developed). I don’t mind if my partner doesn’t want a second romance as long as I have some sort of voice in how the story flows. Otherwise its not really a healthy or attractive rp if I’m just forced to write how they want.

I meant something like. Sally wants Jan to play the male love interest for her female character. She will play the male love interest for Jans character.

it’s not a specific role so much as specific genders (usually tied to the kind of romantic pairings Sally wants to write. So if Sally only writes MF romance than it’s going to be two MF romantic pairings broken up between the characters. If she plays any sexuality pairing than she will just say “I will play love interest” and leave it to Jan to fill in the gender)

So it’s not requesting specific plot roles. It’s just saying you are writing a heterosexual pairing for me I will write a heterosexual/queer pairing for you.

But my take is if you are really breaking this up so both partners get the pairing they want it should be something like ;

Sally wants Jan to play the male love interest for her female character. Jan wants Sally to play the sister of her female character.

Because in that case each person is requesting a specific pairing of characters from their partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back