Viewpoint Roleplaying with younger roleplayers?

To be honest I always feel like it reflects worse on the parents. As that is some excessively controlling behavior if you are censoring your child on the internet.

In the unlikely event a younger teen wants to do a nuanced portrayal of slavery I would say that’s actually a good thing. God knows you don’t get that at school.

LMAO I was in a discussion before and had people who thought slavery was 'cool' as it was a fantasy theme thing. When a actual talk about slavery for different people's story idea and character got started some people got all ansty and triggered.

"Slavery should have a time frame they are slaves, they can't just be sold randomly, and they should get some pay, and laws for how they at housed and treated and days off. You shouldn't make it all that evil. "

Um . . . that would be indentured servitude. Where you sign a contract to be bound to a master for a certain time in exchange for a dept or other hopeful benefit. And will eventually be free again (if the contract is followed right) But hey, if you want to make a kingdom in a story that works that way and laws protect the slaves honestly that's cool. But in my evil world slaves are property.

LMAO I was in a discussion before and had people who thought slavery was 'cool' as it was a fantasy theme thing. When a actual talk about slavery for different people's story idea and character got started some people got all ansty and triggered.

"Slavery should have a time frame they are slaves, they can't just be sold randomly, and they should get some pay, and laws for how they at housed and treated and days off. You shouldn't make it all that evil. "

Um . . . that would be indentured servitude. Where you sign a contract to be bound to a master for a certain time in exchange for a dept or other hopeful benefit. And will eventually be free again (if the contract is followed right) But hey, if you want to make a kingdom in a story that works that way and laws protect the slaves honestly that's cool. But in my evil world slaves are property.

Well slaves being property is precisely what slavery is. In your RP world you're portraying it correctly. Servitude and slavery, as you pointed out, are two different things.

Well slaves being property is precisely what slavery is. In your RP world you're portraying it correctly. Servitude and slavery, as you pointed out, are two different things.

"If you are tough enough to escape when the raiders come you're legal tender!"

Yeah, I can honestly say me and those people were not RP compatible. Though to be fair I knew that already and was afraid things would get that way with them discussing something so hardcore as slavery. But they wanted to join my interests even though I warned them. So . . . I was told to be social. One had tried to get in on an RP once before this and make a character who had the power to 'make everyone friends' It was swiftly denied.

I couldn't care less how old someone is. It's writing. It's fun. I don't do ERP, so that's not even a gray area I have to think about. The only time I might note someone's age is if I see frequent mistakes in grammar or RP etiquette, which usually indicates lack of writing/RP experience. So if I check their profile and see that they're younger I might just give some tips and carry on. Not that it really matters even then, I've done the same thing to RPers much older than myself.

It's not an issue at all. From a legal standpoint. They can't even do anything unless you intend to meet and f**k a child. Even if you have intent you need to take a action. That means you have to buy a ticket or drive to their location to commit the act.

If you are are doing NSFW thats cause to look into your s**t further.

Don't Rp in first person.

I think its fine to Rp with people under 18 as long as its SFW.

Websites afraid to get subpoena by the law or held liable IF they are a site clearly for sex trafficing with minors.

The goverment can do whatever they want. They can arrest me right now for saying its fine to Rp with minors. They won't be able to win in court for conviction. (Most people cant afford to defend themselves.)

EDIT(I feel) People who write they aren't comfortable with anyone under the age of 18 clearly want NSFW. I think most of all you should worry about someones skill level in writing. In that case- you should request writing samples. Not say 18+

Ps: I tend not to Rp with any under the age of 18. As they tend to be emo and clingy.
Oh yeah, I can get people under 18, being clingy it's sorta endearing but kinda annoying for me personally 😂 cause they will pester me for replies, and then mope when I don't come online. Or sometimes they call me like "Mom" or such which is even more awkward 🤦🏻‍♀️ but eh, yeh I can see why some people might not like to RP with minors

I really can't stand when people say People who write they aren't comfortable with anyone under the age of 18 clearly want NSFW.
It's really bull. Not everyone is looking for that and it sucks when legitimate writers get put in the same category. Everyone is entitled to write with whoever they want but people shouldn't be made to feel like just because you don't want to write with a certain age group, in this case minors, oh you must be looking for some nasty adult content.

I'm one of those people that aren't comfortable writing with anyone under 18 and I'm not looking for NSFW content but at the same time I don't limit myself in what I want to write about either and for that reason I will not write with a minor. I don't want to have to feel like I can't explore darker themes of war and violence because someone might get triggered or their parent might be monitoring what they are writing about. I'm not here to babysit. I don't need that type of drama.
I agree, with that wholly. Plus, in today's society, it's difficult for adults to interact with someone younger than them, without it being seen as something wrong. Which is why I'm wary of interacting with minors, in case something happens and such. Plus, some minors can be pretty rude about age, not all of them, but some of them 🤦🏻‍♀️ which turns me away from RPing with them, even if they are good writers. Cause some young people, (even my own sister in highschool) think that once you reach above the age of 20 to 30 you're automatically old. And I really don't get that, and it just makes me feel down. Hence why, I've stuck to the older crowd. Also, I enjoy talking in OOC, but with minors it's so difficult at least for me to find common ground when talking OOC, because of differences in life and such. So that's another thing.

So people needing to constantly be in contact isn’t really minor specific. It’s more an issue with people that have low self esteem and a lot of free time. Which in my experience describes adults. But that could be because my interests more commonly attract adults than teens.

But yeah there are people who for whatever reason don’t need to earn a living and can be on 24/7 and expect their partners to be able to entertain them for a vast majority of the day. Like sorry I got work and sleep man. I can’t be giving your life meaning all the time. Maybe go to a therapist or like get an IRL hobby.

This is like asking if it's okay for an adult to play a video game, dnd game, or watch a movie with a minor....
I mean true, adults sometimes do have overlapping interests with minors. And sometimes some adults can just be really rude to young kids for no reason, just as kids can be just as rude back. Though the main problem would be in society, outside of a parent child, sibling, or teacher student relationship it's odd for adults to even associate with minors if you get what I'm saying? If they do, the age gap would be minimal, like 17 and 19 year olds, or like 18 and like 17. It isn't too treasonous for them to interact, as in schooling you are usually lumped with people like 2 to 3 years younger than you. But anything more than like a year or two difference in most cases is perceived as strange.

So people needing to constantly be in contact isn’t really minor specific. It’s more an issue with people that have low self esteem and a lot of free time. Which in my experience describes adults. But that could be because my interests more commonly attract adults than teens.

But yeah there are people who for whatever reason don’t need to earn a living and can be on 24/7 and expect their partners to be able to entertain them for a vast majority of the day. Like sorry I got work and sleep man. I can’t be giving your life meaning all the time. Maybe go to a therapist or like get an IRL hobby.
Yeah, I have met some of those people, a few of them are college or highschool dropouts. They have a lot of time on their hands. So I do get pestered 🤦🏻‍♀️ which is annoying, as they can't seem to remember that some people, unlike them are still pursuing and education and working. And yeh it definitely isn't minor specific. But from my experience, talking to some younger teens, they definitely do pester and expect things fast. At least some of them 🤦🏻‍♀️ which is very bothersome for me who likes to mull over.

I mean I come from cross generational fandoms so it’s actually very common for people of all ages to chat about Harry Potter or MCU for instance.

Most of my role plays are Harry Potter specific so I feel like it’s totally fine for an adult and teen to both geek out about that series and make up their own stories in the universe.

I mean true, adults sometimes do have overlapping interests with minors. And sometimes some adults can just be really rude to young kids for no reason, just as kids can be just as rude back. Though the main problem would be in society, outside of a parent child, sibling, or teacher student relationship it's odd for adults to even associate with minors if you get what I'm saying? If they do, the age gap would be minimal, like 17 and 19 year olds, or like 18 and like 17. It isn't too treasonous for them to interact, as in schooling you are usually lumped with people like 2 to 3 years younger than you. But anything more than like a year or two difference in most cases is perceived as strange.
The stranger danger effect is always going to be prevalent in society. I'm not saying to be comfortable with your 12 year old playing alone with a stranger, but there might be some rapport if they both like football and play catch while being supervised.

Now as for the internet, i think a lot of young people just arent taught the same values as I was in the late 2000's in regards to the internet. I was taught to not give a fuck abouta person who is thousands of miles away. To not care about the insults some game obsessed moron says when were playing league of legends. To not give teo flying flips of a fuck about the person and on only care about what they say.

For instance, ive debated people who were pushing 50 and peopme who were 13. It doesnt matter online as long as youre coming to the table with enough eloquence to make a point. Same thing goes for rping online. All that should matter is the story you create. Thats it. Its a safe hobby so long as youre not stupid enough to dox yourself.

But i digress, this question though, is born froma young person who doesnt realize that stuff said on social media doesnt matter. Instead of being concerned about the story value a child can bring to the table. Theyre treating this as if its real life face to face interaction. I think thats the issue i have with the op's question and my take on the matter.

The stranger danger effect is always going to be prevalent in society. I'm not saying to be comfortable with your 12 year old playing alone with a stranger, but there might be some rapport if they both like football and play catch while being supervised.

Now as for the internet, i think a lot of young people just arent taught the same values as I was in the late 2000's in regards to the internet. I was taught to not give a fuck abouta person who is thousands of miles away. To not care about the insults some game obsessed moron says when were playing league of legends. To not give teo flying flips of a fuck about the person and on only care about what they say.

For instance, ive debated people who were pushing 50 and peopme who were 13. It doesnt matter online as long as youre coming to the table with enough eloquence to make a point. Same thing goes for rping online. All that should matter is the story you create. Thats it. Its a safe hobby so long as youre not stupid enough to dox yourself.

But i digress, this question though, is born froma young person who doesnt realize that stuff said on social media doesnt matter. Instead of being concerned about the story value a child can bring to the table. Theyre treating this as if its real life face to face interaction. I think thats the issue i have with the op's question and my take on the matter.
🤦🏻‍♀️ Yeah I guess, this very different from real life interactions. So I guess, it shouldn't matter too much? And yeah, I guess I should probably not worry too much. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter

edited.

Crayons Crayons makes a good point. This question is largely a 1x1 issue. And that is because the assumption is that 1x1 are “romance roleplays”. So the idea is they focus a lot more on character romance and adult content.

But honestly that’s just an assumption. I mostly write all my 1x1 as platonic with the option to add in a romance if the characters are compatible.

And my focus is usually on world building or plot. So it’s nothing that is going to put me in a compromised position with a kid. Unless they have strong feelings about magizoology or Harry Potter lore.

Last edited:
I'll play with minors in a group setting, but not 1x1 or anything involving romance.
Yes, 1x1 and romance with a minor can be a little awkward for me when it comes to a minor. Though for groups it's fine by me, as groups usually are diverse in their spread.

Yes, 1x1 and romance with a minor can be a little awkward for me when it comes to a minor. Though for groups it's fine by me, as groups usually are diverse in their spread.

This is largely my reasoning as well. It's not like I'm writing smut or anything, but I still feel uncomfortable playing romance scenarios with those I know are underage. I kind of take a "don't ask, don't tell" policy towards it all, though. I don't ask a player's age, but will actively avoid those plots with players who declare their age to be under 18.

Feel like this is a 1x1 thread more than anything. At 24 I'd never 1x1 with anyone below 20. I don't do 1x1s anyway lol but it's similar to IRL friendships, no matter how cool a 16 year old is I'm not gonna kick it with them outside of a work/family environment. The relationship is too close in a 1x1, it's a direct partnership so you can't have a huge age gap without it being weird.

But that's been said already, something new to add is the reality about group RPs which is why I'm posting. In group RPs you're gonna be with minors and if you're a minor you're gonna be with adults. You just live with it cause people lie or omit age, or the GM doesn't care so younger people get in, or the fookin GM is young. Lots of ways for the barrier to break down but it's gonna happen. At least it's not a direct partnership, so not as weird as huge age gap 1x1s. That said I'm with the rest of you, not "shipping" my character with a 16 year old's OC no matter what... Well I'm not shipping with anyone, but if I ever did it'd be a big ass NO to an underager, there's sumn pretty "Subway Jared" about that.

But with SFW writing I'm cool with 16+ in my groups. Seeing a lot of "protect the kids bro!" in here but let's face facts my people. 16-17 year olds are watching rated R gore heavy movies, they're reading fucked up shit, they're on Twitter seeing all types of crazy shit get posted, they're no longer protected like kids. So there's no reason why you should feel the need to protect them by not writing with them. At 16-17 my mind was open to writing and reading dark material, I read first hand accounts of the crusades at 16 matter of fact. Let me tell you guys about the genocide of Constantinople! Not kid friendly but at 16 it didn't corrupt my mind, that was done already by 14 👍

Last edited:
Feel like this is a 1x1 thread more than anything. At 24 I'd never 1x1 with anyone below 20. I don't do 1x1s anyway lol but it's similar to IRL friendships, no matter how cool a 16 year old is I'm not gonna kick it with them outside of a work/family environment. The relationship is too close in a 1x1, it's a direct partnership so you can't have a huge age gap without it being weird.

But that's been said already, something new to add is the reality about group RPs which is why I'm posting. In group RPs you're gonna be with minors and if you're a minor you're gonna be with adults. You just live with it cause people lie or omit age, or the GM doesn't care so younger people get in, or the fookin GM is young. Lots of ways for the barrier to break down but it's gonna happen. At least it's not a direct partnership, so not as weird as huge age gap 1x1s. That said I'm with the rest of you, not "shipping" my character with a 16 year old's OC no matter what... Well I'm not shipping with anyone, but if I ever did it'd be a big ass NO to an underager, there's sumn pretty "Subway Jared" about that.

But with SFW writing I'm cool with 16+ in my groups. Seeing a lot of "protect the kids bro!" in here but let's face facts my people. 16-17 year olds are watching rated R gore heavy movies, they're reading fucked up shit, they're on Twitter seeing all types of crazy shit get posted, they're no longer protected like kids. So there's no reason why you should feel the need to protect them by not writing with them. At 16-17 my mind was open to writing and reading dark material, I read first hand accounts of the crusades at 16 matter of fact. Let me tell you guys about the genocide of Constantinople! Not kid friendly but at 16 it didn't corrupt my mind, that was done already by 14 👍

And that is very much true, age gaps tend to rather weird in a majority (not all) but most cases. So definitely difficult when your RP Partner is much younger than you. It is much more comfortable and like "safe" if you RP in a similar age range to yourself, I'd say. It just won't feel as awkward that way. At least I think so.

So as someone who does roleplay with teenagers I feel like to some extent it's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you think of interacting with minors as something creepy and awkward your going to manifest that into reality by being creepy and awkward with minors.

If your like me and you don't really sweat your partners ages and treat everyone the same than you'll find that your partners are pretty much the same regardless of age. I treat everyone I roleplay with with the same courtesy, respect, and open mindedness and I have found that there are no significant distances between my roleplays with teenagers and my roleplays with adults.

The only difference honestly is the content of OOC chat. And even then it's not like I didn't also go to high school and have friends. So I'm perfectly capable of talking about my own experiences in high school if that's what my partner would prefer.

But to be honest most of my OOC chat is usually of the "Hey I'm sick and can't write a reply right now sorry." or "Hey my band practice ran over so I'm not going to get a reply up until tomorrow." variety anyway.

I don't usually look at a partner's age, and when I do or I'm told, I tend to forget pretty quickly. I don't have any issue with roleplaying with someone because of their age, I mainly look into things like their tastes and personality. Granted, a lot of the younger crowd (15 and under) often lack experience and have a greater tendency to work with roleplaying styles that are quite distinct from mine and in mainstream fandoms that I don't usually dabble in. So, in that sense, I do have a bit of a filter, but I've worked with people around that age in the past (I think I might have been 18 at the time, given I'm currently 20 and on my way to 21).

Maybe it's arrogant of me, but I don't see myself as a bad influence. I don't try to participate or create roleplays of sexual nature of anything remotely of the type, and I try to encourage responsible behavior and bringing a positive attitude with me.

When I started roleplaying I had this one partner on skype. He was a great partner with wonderful posts and ideas and we both quickly realized there was a pretty big age gap between us. His life wasn't on the best track, for reasons which I'll try to keep private, but we liked working with another, and we even bonded over a variety of topics - fandoms, writing, politics- in discussions. I lended him an ear for his troubles, too. Though we haven't talked to each other for a long time, it's still a memory I'm fond of, and a friendship I would never regret having. Age gaps do come with cultural disparities and differences in understanding at times, but the way I see it so does living in different countries, having different faiths, etc...

Long story short, I have no issue roleplaying with anyone- younger or older - than myself, though I do understand some of the concerns people may have regarding the matter. To me though, what's more important is a connection based on preferences, tastes and compatible personalities.

People outside the rp community don't get rp. If they see a minor and lke a 30 yr old rping, even if nothing sinister is going on, it's gonna raise eyebrows lol. I would imagine older folks would want to avoid it, I guess. I started roleplaying when I was pretty young and while I really didn't give a darn who I RPed with, I could see that if some of those folks knew my age back then, they would have probably backed out even if what I mostly roleplayed was video games and book stuff tbh.
Now that I'm 18, almost 19, I'll probably be cautious as well, honestly.

RPG can have a large scale of gray, even more with it being net-based. Personally I'm in my 30's and would be ok rping with someone who is younger than me if there are some heavy themes going on like sex or slavery. But I also enjoy mean anime/manga based rpgs and you do find teens in those types of rps, I just stay away with anything sex-based. I don't mind gore say in a fantasy or paranormal-based rp, it will come up. If you read a lot like I do, I do read young adult and have seen a shift in many dynamics of the themes you see today that you would have not seen in my teen years. So I think that also how younger ppl have grown up and have been raised makes rpging even more of a gray scale and harder to put down solid lines in the sand.

Don't ask, don't tell, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, I do have some prompts that I restrict to 17 and up due to the nature of darker themes, but those are few and far between - and even then, I only do that for 1x1s and romance plots. I'll RP with any age in group RPs, so long as they don't act blatantly childish. If you're old enough to watch GoT without being permanently traumatized for life, then you're probably old enough to handle my writing.

Realistically, I don't have a reason to do 18+ only plots because I don't do explicit NSFW scenarios. Other than that, why else would I refuse to write with a 15 or 16 year old that can write just as good as any adult can? Age doesn't play a factor in whether or not I enjoy someone's writing. Hell, I got to the point where I am now because I had a multitude of older mentors to guide me along the way when I was a young kiddo just starting out myself. I'm not going to banish anyone to the little kids table.

Im 12, and i agree i think it also werid like my sis role plays with me most of the time and she is in high school, so when other people do it to me i think its werid but that's just me
i go here to roleplay and, make it seem fun , lowkey some people ask me for my personal information and i just block them . but i will love to roleplay with you guys:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back