Other Roleplaying Nations and Dice mechanics

Imperator_tenebrae

This is an idea I've been wanting to try for several years and never could muster up the interest for it so this is attempt number 907 (not really) and will continue to try until I age out of roleplay entirely.

The best way to describe what I'm trying to do is think about any RPG such as DnD or Pathfinder but instead with characters you do it with nations with its own mini-cast of significant characters such as nation leaders, generals, inventors, theorists, philosophers or something who can be very influential to a country. The actions of the nation as a whole are being roleplayed from a third person almost in a way one would record history although it is more through the narrative of these mini-casts. If you can bear that in mind then the rest will come easy to those who dare try their hand in this rather ambitious endeavor. The only snag is that every forum handles dice rolling mechanics differently whether it is already implemented via bbcode or sanctioned third party. This is where the RP usually dies before it begins mainly due to mechanical failures.

I'm opened to ideas, suggestions and general interest in the project.

More details? I've been wanting to do something 'mostly realistically spacey', but I'm open for any type of setting.

Mostly realistically spacey? Like hard science fiction or space opera? I could oblige thee.

As far as details the setting I was going for was fantasy starting out in the medieval ages then eventually going into something a little more steampunky as technologies are developed and more discoveries are made. This leaves a bunch of room to make your nation/civilization from the ground up that can decide its own destiny or even change the world with an influential person or making a world changing discovery depending on how good your rolls are and how well things are narrated.

Mostly realistically spacey? Like hard science fiction or space opera? I could oblige thee.

As far as details the setting I was going for was fantasy starting out in the medieval ages then eventually going into something a little more steampunky as technologies are developed and more discoveries are made. This leaves a bunch of room to make your nation/civilization from the ground up that can decide its own destiny or even change the world with an influential person or making a world changing discovery depending on how good your rolls are and how well things are narrated.

I was never that interested in steampunk, honestly.

For the spacey possibility, I was thinking of a hard science setting that still has a couple space opera bits (Pretty much just FTL and 'loads of aliens'), and a focus on the 'non-media' ways that space empires would develop themselves and their infrastructure. The stereotypical space empire focuses its population and industry on planets for example, but it'd actually be more efficient for space nations to treat planets as the equivalent of lumber stores then actual places to live. Why terraform a planet when you can strip mine it and make artificial habitats where it used to orbit?

I think the most important thing I want out of a spacey nation thing is a proper 'scale' of it all. Instead of city-planets that 'only' hold trillions, they'd hold quintillions. Instead of a giant galactic empire taking decades to build a moon-sized death station, they'd build artificial habitat moons pretty regularly across the vastness of the galaxy. Over a hundred centuries, quickened by FTL, space empires dim the galaxy as star after star is encapsulated by vast arrays of solar power stations.

Well, uhh.. I also just want to make something based off of what I learned from Isaac Arthur, more like...

What would you want out of it?

Your country does not have to go on the path of technology if steampunking it isn't your thing. The modules in place and currently being rewritten as we speak allows people to stay on the even straight with the arcane powers if unholy technologies are unbecoming of their society or beliefs.

As far as the space opera path with this idea, I tried it many times and never could get a good check and balance on it. What you ask for is a little too advanced for my liking seeing as how I prefer to stay in the middle of the scale when it comes to science fiction hardness. Also you do not need a moon sized death station with a gigantic death beam to blow up planets. All is needed is a device to hurl an object the size of New Zealand at a very small fraction at the speed of light to have an impact level event to wipe out the biosphere thus killing all life including the most stalwart of bacteria.

Dice RP and Nation Building RP go EXTREMELY well together.
Let me explain: Nation Building RP means interaction between Nations and the World-Keeper (Dungeon-Master Equivalent). The World Keeper presents problems / stuff to accept or deny to the nation and the nation decides to agree or deny. If a specific country is willing to try and do experiments, the World-keeper rolls a dice (usually d20) and the outcome decides if the experiment / test went well.

Dice RP and Nation Building RP go EXTREMELY well together.
Let me explain: Nation Building RP means interaction between Nations and the World-Keeper (Dungeon-Master Equivalent). The World Keeper presents problems / stuff to accept or deny to the nation and the nation decides to agree or deny. If a specific country is willing to try and do experiments, the World-keeper rolls a dice (usually d20) and the outcome decides if the experiment / test went well.

Precisely. I take it you've done this style of RP as well? Do share your experiences.

I'm using a similar dice system used by your typical RPG except I am going away from purely crunchy (mechanical) towards more narrative driven outcomes based on how bad or good you roll. Basically if things don't quite go your way the challenge is to narrate why and how it happened to move the story forward. It creates a dynamic where you're not sure what to expect when things happen.

For example if one of your explorers goes onto a new country and gets ambushed by restless natives it depends what you choose as an action then the dice determines how effective that action is. Maybe the natives can be reasoned with or maybe your explorer isn't a good people person.

The goal now is to get a CS done tonight or sometime in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back