Other Roleplaying in Video Games?

Alfy

So I've been in many video games before that had an option for roleplay. Im curious if anyone knows any other games that are used for roleplaying in certain cases.

Please note that I know Mmo's like SWTOR or WOW are the most common place for roleplaying but I wanna keep these types of games out of this subject for that matter. I wanna hear from other non Mmo Games. I also dont wanna count any games single player roleplays like fallout, skyrim or dragon age.

The most common multiplayer games I see people use for roleplay are any sandbox games like the one's Ill list below. I wanna know your experiences in any of these games plus maybe share similar games you've played in to roleplay?

Minecraft (Creative Servers) - Minecraft has some servers that let you be in creative to build anything you want within a plot (area depending on the server). In this servers its common to find people building in their plots a theme for a roleplay. If they are able to set warp commands they'll even make people tp to a "spawn" that includes signs with a set of rules, classes, staff list, etc. Most roleplays are usually fantasy, post apocalyptic, high school, camp, etc.

Minecraft (Serious Roleplaying Servers) - This servers are different. In this case the whole server is the roleplay map and its more organized. Usually you'll have to apply on the server forums with a character sheet before being able to gain access to the server and after that you are free to go around the world and roleplay with the other players. Most of this servers even come with mods and resource packs to help the rp experience. This is honestly one of the best games Ive roleplayed in. All those screenshots were taken on actual roleplays servers I played on.

Garry's mod (Gmod) - Another sandbox game. If you go to the server lists there are lists for different roleplay servers. The most common ones Ive seen are Military and Star Wars Military. I find this servers fun because you get a character model, the servers count with ranks systems letting you progress into the higher ranks and be able to command others, and usually the way they do it is that they have a base (if its star wars usually a star destroyer ship) and people roleplay in that map. But there are also "events" in which staff of the server switch to a new map say a planet you landed in and they organize to fight npcs as they go through the map.

Habbo - For those that never played habbo as kids back when it was popular this ame offered 2 popular roleplays: Adoption Centers, and Any sort of organization (Police Station, Military, Secret Agency). Adoption centers were rooms where people would adopt others pretending to be babies or kids. In the organization ones was more complex. You had this rooms that looked like a police station and people would join it and perform many tasks such as sitting in the front recruiting new people (telling them to join the group, change into uniform, etc), letting in people that met the requirements (Security), Training new recruits on how things work (Trainers), or if you got promoted high enough supervise others and give promotions yourself! For the most part I remember promotions taking a long time like maybe 2 hours just to get to the next rank (which spoilers.. Were a loooot).

Roblox - So I never played roblox as I never saw it interesting so I cant vouch for this. However my younger brother told me some people make games exclusively for roleplaying. They offer a spawn to change your appearence before you can jump into the world. There are highschool rps, wolf packs, fantasy ones, etc. All pics were just googled so like I said I cant vouche for how serious roleplay might be in this game

So do you know any other similar games that you could roleplay in? What are your experiences in this games or the ones I just listed?

Arma is wonderful, if you like military RP then you need to join a clan and hit that shit. For those that don't know, roleplaying in Arma is not your standard 'pretend', an appointed Zeus or Zeus's change the scenario over time, constantly changing AI, radioing in to the players, fighting them, even voicing hostages. Basically a realtime version of map editing, its intense too, i'm going to insert a story for perspective.

A long while ago i had joined up in a Zeus with some other guys i didn't really know, setting was the Ukraine/Russian border during the Crimean invasion, we were Ukrainian rebels aiding a small group of reporters traveling through the hot zone. I played our Automatic Rifleman, i carried a few small things besides my RPK, a flashlight and singular grenade, i wanted to look pretty ragtag, so i picked out some civilian gear and a combat apron, this doesn't matter to much to the story, but it gives a point of view.

Halfway in a camerman wants to get a few shots of an artillery crater, squad leader says 'okay' and i mount up in the back of our technical, ready to give them cover.

Our Zeus had spawned in a few civilians who were walking down the street, and on instinct i asked for permission to fire, without a second thought our squad leader said yes and i gunned down four civilians in front of some reporters in broad daylight, i still genuinely feel bad for the AI i shot, to this day.

Arma is wonderful, if you like military RP then you need to join a clan and hit that shit. For those that don't know, roleplaying in Arma is not your standard 'pretend', an appointed Zeus or Zeus's change the scenario over time, constantly changing AI, radioing in to the players, fighting them, even voicing hostages. Basically a realtime version of map editing, its intense too, i'm going to insert a story for perspective.

A long while ago i had joined up in a Zeus with some other guys i didn't really know, setting was the Ukraine/Russian border during the Crimean invasion, we were Ukrainian rebels aiding a small group of reporters traveling through the hot zone. I played our Automatic Rifleman, i carried a few small things besides my RPK, a flashlight and singular grenade, i wanted to look pretty ragtag, so i picked out some civilian gear and a combat apron, this doesn't matter to much to the story, but it gives a point of view.

Halfway in a camerman wants to get a few shots of an artillery crater, squad leader says 'okay' and i mount up in the back of our technical, ready to give them cover.

Our Zeus had spawned in a few civilians who were walking down the street, and on instinct i asked for permission to fire, without a second thought our squad leader said yes and i gunned down four civilians in front of some reporters in broad daylight, i still genuinely feel bad for the AI i shot, to this day.

Ye, I heard over Arma but havent tried it yet. It sounds similar to roleplaying on Gmod. Only that in Gmod you have what i call the passive map which is where you spend most of your time in. Having drills, training, discussions, etc. and only somedays we change map for like an hour when we have events that make us explore the new map in groups depending on your batallion, kill npcs, find and help prisoners (usually staff) or arrest like an enemy general, etc. But I still think its fun. i might try Arma out soon.

In gmod it was fun because I once ranked up to a Captain which meant I commanded my own batallion (it was star wars so I was in charge of the 501st). My job was recruiting the rookies (players who joined the server and still were unassigned) into my batallion so during events they'd stick with me and follow my orders. We would have drills training in things like tirgger discipline (stop shooting when you see someone is gonna be infront of you to avoid friendly fire), formations (arrow head, firing line, double firing line, etc), and my personal favorite room breaching (swat style. I made up a custom version which I found fitted more in the game rather than the common 4 man one you see swat use)

Last edited:
Habbo brings back memories. I don't even know how long ago it's been, but I was a kid when I played it (I'd say about 5 times?) and had no idea of what roleplaying was, so I just went around doing "funny" things and acting like I was witty.

There's a series of anime-inspired murder mystery games that I play(ed) which require RPing. I brought these up on some other threads but wasn't sure if it was fine to actually name them. If it isn't, then we're all getting in trouble together.

The first game was called Mitadake High. I'd heard about it back when it was new but never had much interest. The spiritual sequel was called Pyrce High. Had more customization settings and modes to choose from. Next, the current version, is called Misuterii High. It added a few more action mechanics which I personally am not a fan of, but there's been other upgrades such with the ability to code custom modes. The fourth is in development, current and planned name is Sasebo High, and I'm actually part of the team.

Anyway, the basic idea for most rounds is that there are students in a school (each player plays as one of them) and a corpse has been found, so the school automatically went into lockdown. Usually, one student is responsible for the murder (sometimes accomplices spawn), and their objective is to kill the other students as well. How and why they did that is the part that the RP handles. The murderer can say the victim was being abusive, or they did so in a moment of anger, or they heard a divine voice telling them that that one person had to die...whether it's a lie or not, and even try to manipulate others to gain sympathizers if they're good enough at it, or just blatantly cross the moral event horizon, becoming everyone's enemy and making it so the only way to reach a conclusion is through bloodshed. Normal students can just try to hide, or just hang out thinking they're going to be fine, or actually going on a hunt for the killer, or something else.

Other default modes include Death Note, Madoka, Psycho Pass, Shiki, Tsukihime and Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, but people have made custom modes too. One is inspired by Resident Evil, another by Silent Hill, one is focused on androids, another on werewolves, one that's about cultists serving cosmic horrors, and more. Each of these often change part of the gimmick of the normal mode, the one explained in the previous paragraph.

In short, it's a pretty nice game if you like RPing, and you don't even have to like anime to play it. You might not know what some of the modes are about, but you can just ask, and do a quick research to get some pointers. It is based on japanese culture and all, but usually that's not really a limiting factor since diversity isn't frowned upon, if you try to play a foreigner for example. Let me know if anyone's curious about the recent ones, it's a niche series and their popularity doesn't begin to compare to the ones mentioned above, which means there's a high chance people here don't know of them, despite it being something that would allign with their interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back