Other Roleplay Universe

Squad141

The Purple Soul
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
RPing is a special kind of activity. It allows users to be placed into worlds of their own design, or of others. It’s unique in as it allows you to use others ideas and spin them on their head without having to publish a novel. Then tell me this: why has no one made an RP Universe yet? A series of RPs with different storylines, but all in their own universe together, that span from different genres? Well, I thought I’d get The communities opinion on thus idea, as I’ve been wanting to go through with it for a long time.

The Hosted Project is the only forum on this site where you can have multiple interconnected roleplays running simultaneously. So in that way it is absolutely what your describing.

As the selling point is the ability to make multiple roleplays that are interconnected in the same universe.

It sounds to me like your either talking multiple Earths (as in a possible multiverse theory) or multiple planets (as in some kind of sci/fi sort of story). Although if that is not the case if you could perhaps explain more about what you mean by "the same universe"?

Either way if the roleplays exist in some kind of shared universe than they will need to be in a Hosted Project.

There isn't an easy or efficient way to link separate roleplays together outside of Hosted Projects. Other than just physically linking different threads together and hoping people understand they are all in some way loosely connected to one another. Which is a lot of work and probably overly confusing.

It isn't worth the time, I think?

Even running a single RP can result in failure due to lack of interest. Running, for example, 5 RPs at the same time is not only time consuming but also ineffective. You will be splitting your attention between different projects with different tones. Not to mention that any of them can fail at any time for whatever reason.

Running one at a time, then finally connecting them after 5 RPs or something sounds plausible, but as a whole, the idea sounds difficult to pull without a capable team of GM and a loyal RPers base.

It isn't worth the time, I think?

Even running a single RP can result in failure due to lack of interest. Running, for example, 5 RPs at the same time is not only time consuming but also ineffective. You will be splitting your attention between different projects with different tones. Not to mention that any of them can fail at any time for whatever reason.

Running one at a time, then finally connecting them after 5 RPs or something sounds plausible, but as a whole, the idea sounds difficult to pull without a capable team of GM and a loyal RPers base.

Which is sort of why people use Hosted Projects. As in that way it's not like the GM themselves is running five separate roleplays each in a different genre/location.

Ex. Roleplay 1 : Earth A, high school genre. Roleplay 2: Earth B, fantasy genre. Roleplay 3: Earth C, murder mystery genre. And so on and so forth.

If you created each of these roleplays in a separate forum and tried to run them all simultaneously you would fail for exactly the reasons you listed.

What a Hosted Project allows you to do is to simply create a kind of background on Earths A-C and then allow your roleplayers to make whatever stories they want within them. So you (the GM) are not actually running separate roleplays. You are creating a shared universe that your players can play in however they want.

Example: Susie creates a superhero hosted project. She provides a description of the different power types available in this world, what kind of technology is accessible, and a name for a world-wide agency dedicated to keeping track of the superheroes. She then lets members create characters that fit this framework and come up with their own stories.

So basically Susie is not creating the actual roleplays themselves (outside the one she wishes to participate in personally). Instead she is providing the world and allowing other people to make their own roleplays within it.

I feel like this may just be an issue of semantics. I think middleagedgeek's hit the nail on the head regarding an effective method of tying different 'worlds' together in the context of RPing.
I think Squad141 is talking about 'worlds' more akin to those in, say, the realm of the Final Fantasy series, where the 'worlds' (ie: iterations) are all independent and separate from each other, however they share some superficial and common themes (?). Eg: classes, creatures, magical elements, recurring character names.

I'm not sure what the motive would be for the latter definition of 'worlds' aside from just having Easter eggs & cameos for the participants and/or a nod of recognition to another RP. Just my opinion: Squad141's worlds only make sense in a context where the audience is huge and the connections are appreciated and noticed by long-time fans of whatever franchise.

I suppose you mean a sort of Persistent World concept?

Are you thinking like a mass multiverse? Or a living world concept like in Guild Wars 2? Or like a whole solar system with planets and new RPs in each, but contained in a single forum?

From what I understand, hosted projects aren't meant to host different roleplays in a single project, and I basically just quoted that from one of the mods. I was inquiring about a HP idea I had and was basically shot down because of that reason, along with a few others.

Just throwing that out there.

From what I understand, hosted projects aren't meant to host different roleplays in a single project, and I basically just quoted that from one of the mods. I was inquiring about a HP idea I had and was basically shot down because of that reason, along with a few others.

Just throwing that out there.

I think the difference is your idea was more of a mini forum where active people could do roleplays that they could already do in the regular section.

From what I understand the OP was actually talking about something closer to a shared universe which is what the Hosted Projects where originally designed for.

Like they were going to create a starting off point of some kind and then allow others to create different roleplays on worlds within their universe.

Now I don’t think Hosted Projects are currently open right now anyway but I would say as far as I understood their idea it is indeed a Hosted Project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back