Advice/Help Roleplay Sample(s)?

RP-Missy

open
Is there a place to post roleplay samples? I've often found people will try to start a roleplay and then we'll realize our roleplay styles don't match. I'd normally link to G-Docs but the RPNation won't allow me. I've been thinking of trying to contact another person on here to do a sample roleplay that can be posted in 1 on 1 rp section. Hopefully, RPN will allow a link from another RPN post. I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks.

You can put them in your private workshop and then just copy-paste

I don't want to post them in my search thread because it will get too long.
I can't post a link to my private workshop right? That's 'private'? or can I?

You can always just stick samples into spoilers to keep the thread from getting too long. And then request people send you samples in turn when they PM about wanting to RP. That's what I do and I've found it's a pretty good method to ensure writing compatibility.

And yes, you can definitely link to other RP posts/posts in general that are hosted on RPN. If you really want to do an example RP with someone for the purpose of a search thread (rather than just including copy-pasted samples in
tada
tabs) then I imagine that would qualify under the "Creativity" section of the site.

I don't want to post them in my search thread because it will get too long.
I can't post a link to my private workshop right? That's 'private'? or can I?
... you don't need to link them, I said you can copy-paste them. If you're worried about the search thread being too long, you can put them in a spoiler. If the issue is the content being bothersome, then a link will always be more bothersome for people, as it forces them to follow to another page on top of just the reading.

Edit: Plus, I very much doubt that those interest checks are actually "too long", considering some of mine had success and not only are very, very, very long, but also jammed full of coding.

You can always just stick samples into spoilers to keep the thread from getting too long. And then request people send you samples in turn when they PM about wanting to RP. That's what I do and I've found it's a pretty good method to ensure writing compatibility.

And yes, you can definitely link to other RP posts/posts in general that are hosted on RPN. If you really want to do an example RP with someone for the purpose of a search thread (rather than just including copy-pasted samples in
tada
tabs) then I imagine that would qualify under the "Creativity" section of the site.

Oh okay, I gotta learn this spoiler tab thing, Can I change it to not say 'Spoilers' but 'Samples' instead? I did a little html stuff on tumblr but its been a while. I've got like 2k words - worth of writing samples to show my two writing different styles.

... you don't need to link them, I said you can copy-paste them. If you're worried about the search thread being too long, you can put them in a spoiler. If the issue is the content being bothersome, then a link will always be more bothersome for people, as it forces them to follow to another page on top of just the reading.

Edit: Plus, I very much doubt that those interest checks are actually "too long", considering some of mine had success and not only are very, very, very long, but also jammed full of coding.

It's 2077 words of samples at the moment - I didn't add everything I wanted to show. I also thought I might need to type up a explanation of what was happening in the scene pre-example read. I'm planning to write a very long list of fandoms/original ideas I'd like to RP plus probably some plot ideas. I prefer to read short posts that are direct to the point. So that's normally what I tend to do.

Oh okay, I gotta learn this spoiler tab thing, Can I change it to not say 'Spoilers' but 'Samples' instead? I did a little html stuff on tumblr but its been a while. I've got like 2k words - worth of writing samples to show my two writing different styles.
Yeah, it's super helpful! You can't make the word spoiler disappear completely, but you can add a title:
doot doot

I feel you on having long samples, the coding for this was a lifesaver for me xD
The coding is basically like this: [ spoiler = "title you want" ] blah blah stuff inside the spoiler [ / spoiler ]
You just need to remove all the spaces between stuff (except the if there are spaces in what you want for it) and voila!
Formatting inside the spoiler is same as outside of it, and you can have as many as you want within a post which is handy for organizations sake.

It's 2077 words of samples at the moment - I didn't add everything I wanted to show. I also thought I might need to type up a explanation of what was happening in the scene pre-example read. I'm planning to write a very long list of fandoms/original ideas I'd like to RP plus probably some plot ideas. I prefer to read short posts that are direct to the point. So that's normally what I tend to do.
You can always use tabs maybe

Short intro

• Fando list here

Also you most defiantly can link Google Docs on RPN. Heck you can embed them into posts if necessary. If you want to pm me your current samples doc I can try to see what's going wrong with it.

It should pop up easily like so :

Is there a place to post roleplay samples? I've often found people will try to start a roleplay and then we'll realize our roleplay styles don't match. I'd normally link to G-Docs but the RPNation won't allow me. I've been thinking of trying to contact another person on here to do a sample roleplay that can be posted in 1 on 1 rp section. Hopefully, RPN will allow a link from another RPN post. I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks.
Also you most defiantly can link Google Docs on RPN. Heck you can embed them into posts if necessary. If you want to pm me your current samples doc I can try to see what's going wrong with it.

It should pop up easily like so :
Actually, we highly prefer people to not link to offsite places like Gdocs to host their RP information, just for moderation purposes. It makes things easier on our team, so we don't always allow it. However, like mentioned above, you're always free to put all of your writing samples in a spoiler, using this code, here.
Code:
[Spoiler=My Writing Samples]Your writing samples here[/spoiler]

Your writing samples here

Or any of the other ways suggested. :)
Thanks!

Actually, we highly prefer people to not link to offsite places like Gdocs to host their RP information, just for moderation purposes. It makes things easier on our team, so we don't always allow it. However, like mentioned above, you're always free to put all of your writing samples in a spoiler, using this code, here.
Code:
[Spoiler=My Writing Samples]Your writing samples here[/spoiler]

Your writing samples here

Or any of the other ways suggested. :)
Thanks!

It’s not roleplay information though just a document of samples? I mean my example is for a roleplay but I was only showcasing you can link a google doc period. And you can certainly do that and also embedd it using BBC code.

I wouldn’t think that requires moderation as the idea is just to show how much you write not asking to write offline.

Incidentally the embedding is sort of a combo of the two ideas. If you make the document a pdf you can just embed it under a spoiler so you can use the samples you already have and also not link off site as you can view the document on this site.

It’s not roleplay information though just a document of samples? I mean my example is for a roleplay but I was only showcasing you can link a google doc period. And you can certainly do that and also embedd it using BBC code.

I wouldn’t think that requires moderation as the idea is just to show how much you write not asking to write offline.

Incidentally the embedding is sort of a combo of the two ideas. If you make the document a pdf you can just embed it under a spoiler so you can use the samples you already have and also not link off site as you can view the document on this site.
Here's the rule, for reference:
Off-site Information
Users who are here to recruit for their roleplays - even if they are happening off-site - must host the roleplay recruitment information onsite. This means that linking your roleplay preferences or information (such as google docs, toyhou.se, charahub, tumblr, wordpress, etc) is not permitted. You must post the information here on RpNation. This is important for moderation purposes.

The reason why this rule is in place is because people have, in the past, linked their RP preferences through Gdocs or other sites in order to try and circumvent the "no smut" rule. People will sneak sexual content into their preferences or information, so as a precaution, we want all of the information pertaining to a RP hosted onsite. We know most users don't use Gdocs with the intention of doing this, but still... people have tried before, and will try again, so we must take the necessary steps to prevent it.

Here's the rule, for reference:

The reason why this rule is in place is because people have, in the past, linked their RP preferences through Gdocs or other sites in order to try and circumvent the "no smut" rule. People will sneak sexual content into their preferences or information, so as a precaution, we want all of the information pertaining to a RP hosted onsite. We know most users don't use Gdocs with the intention of doing this, but still... people have tried before, and will try again, so we must take the necessary steps to prevent it.

And my point is this isn’t preferences. It’s more akin to world building documents which I know we can link because I’ve asked in the past. Literally all your doing is looking at a collection of paragraphs. It’s no different than seeing someone’s world building document with a setting for a roleplay.

You aren’t interacting with the document in any way other than to look at it.

Well, for moderation purposes it is really preferable that all information is hosted on the site, including extra documents. As it was already mentioned, external file can be replaced with something else and that something may be breaking the rules after we've checked it. Even if you won't do it, even if most users here won't do it because we have nice users, someone else still might, so the rule is there for a reason.
Even if things like hosting worldbuilding info offsite are not strictly forbidden (we do have Off-site recruitment area after all), they are still discouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back