Other Roleplay Question: What is everyone's favourite platform outside of forums to write with and why?

Google Docs since I don't have to deal with pesky things like character limits. I used to be okay with Discord as well until I had to cancel my Nitro subscription.

Google Docs since I don't have to deal with pesky things like character limits. I used to be okay with Discord as well until I had to cancel my Nitro subscription.
Saaaame, it's just that super annoying character limit that gets me every time on discord and other platforms.

For rp I prefer forums and nothing else. I'm an old school roleplayer, I started rping on forums and will probably die rping on forums lol

I guess Google docs is my 2nd choice if I really have to.

I rarely use Discord, only for short one-paragraph rp but I hadn't had those in a while. And even then, I would prefer forums.

I enjoy google docs because you can use headers to split a long-form thread into specific 'arcs' for easy rereading. The only (admittedly more of a joke) problem is that if you got something that goes on for awhile, it takes time to load xD

Definately Google docs. I make a log of all my roleplays on Google docs as a matter of course. This way I can keep updated writing samples and have a back up if the site crashes.

Outside of forums, my primary RP platform is Discord, with tupperbox used to differentiate characters. I can use other platforms as well, but yeah, for me it's either forum, or Discord.

Last edited:
Definitely discord. Even for discord, I type up replies themselves in gdocs first, though. Never rp'd or anything in it tho.

I love google docs but also I know in my bones discord can be utilized really great for role plays as long as its boosted for 2000 word posting its fabulous ...chef kiss

kind of an underrated one, but quotev is my guy. some people on their do pms or feed rp, but they also have the option to make private groups, which is great for avoiding character limits. i used to rock with discord, but the lack of formatting options and the character limit were so annoying to me... even with nitro's 2000 character limit ( which sounds like a lot more than it is. 2000 characters is only like 300 to 600 words ), i often had to split my replies up into sections, but i do like their tupper stuff.

I don't know if anyone remembers this one or used to be on there but I LOVED shamchat. It was perfect for finding partners quickly, you could connect on discord or stay in the on site chat room for as long as you wanted and leave whenever you wanted. Not very good for longterm stuff unless you connected on other platforms, but I used to be on there all day long. Whenever I was bored and needed to find a like minded person quickly, I'd just go there, edit my interests, put the name of the character and voila. I loved it sm and I hate that no one uses it anymore and there's nothing like it anymore (aside from like omegle, but does anyone use omegle anymore? Especiall for rp?)

I don't know if anyone remembers this one or used to be on there but I LOVED shamchat. It was perfect for finding partners quickly, you could connect on discord or stay in the on site chat room for as long as you wanted and leave whenever you wanted. Not very good for longterm stuff unless you connected on other platforms, but I used to be on there all day long. Whenever I was bored and needed to find a like minded person quickly, I'd just go there, edit my interests, put the name of the character and voila. I loved it sm and I hate that no one uses it anymore and there's nothing like it anymore (aside from like omegle, but does anyone use omegle anymore? Especiall for rp?)
the creator of shamchat shut it down for good reasons. i’m not a fan of sites like it, but rolechat is very similar.

google docs isnt a platform..well i guess it could be. i never used it for more than documentation for my games... i was gonna say discord though roll20 has its points. the weakness of discord is maps.

The platform of live in-person gaming. We all show up with snacks and drinks. Get together and often learn a new game. We get to rp our characters as we play out the story. It is a ton of fun. We are normally up most of the night. I love it.

The platform of live in-person gaming. We all show up with snacks and drinks. Get together and often learn a new game. We get to rp our characters as we play out the story. It is a ton of fun. We are normally up most of the night. I love it.
i've done that a couple times for DC heroes (megs) and couple times for unknown system. possibly d20 modern

For some reason I used to hate Google Docs and now it's really growing on me. Forums are growing on me again too now that I have access to photo editing programs and I can design layouts like I used to back in the day. But GDocs in the big one. I used to be Discord only but the word limit is starting to bother me.

So for groups I use discord. I make a server for the group with various categories, such as Rules,OOC chat (this helps the people bond outside of rp.) etc.. Then I have a catogory for In character where I make various areas such as a main commons and other sections they may visit. Then I have a server built for my character with 1x1 spots for each 1x1.
Outside of there I like to rp through Aniroleplay and Rp.me when I can locate non-smut based rpers that is.
I do Multi-para to novella, but in some circumstances I will do para.

Discord. I've always liked the ability to have live-time RP with the option of different areas to play in (channels) with multiple people and random encounters with others characters. I like when things are unpredictable, so knowing that anyone can join in at any second is fun for me. I've always had a lot of fun with various groups on my server. I couldn't imagine not having all those experiences, and they would have been so different if we'd been RPing elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back