Other Roleplay Pet peeves

Great. Here's the list, boys!

Firstly, my brain has been wired to procrastinate since forever now. Even though I'll usually get a response out in like 25-30 minutes when I sit down and write, it can take from an hour to a maximum of a week, if not more to reply. And I know that some people are always writing a response to one RP or another and when I take more than 10 minutes to get a response out they accuse me of ghosting (exaggerated slightly. Record was only 28 minutes 44 seconds.) and then dip immediately. Like, at that point just write both parts yourself. All you do for me is give me stress when this is where I come to avoid stress.

Secondly, I absolutely hate it when people tell me that they're interested in RPing, and when I ask them to PM me they vanish into the cracks into the ground. I'm sure at least half of them have never come back to the site after me asking for them to talk to me. If you're interested, then firstly you would have read through it and seen that I had written that you should PM me in the first place, and thus PMed me. But noooo... You had to go through and absorb the bare minimum of info just so you know the topic or fandom and then immediately throw your interpretation of it at me, which leads to number three on my list.

Thirdly, I have rules set out in my pages for RP requests. Please read through them for the love of god. Some may be unspecific because they came from at least a month ago and were thus shoddily written, but I believe most of the info is there. If I asked for MxM specifically, please give me MxM, not FxF or FxM. I said what I said, and I don't want you to twist it your way. It's my way, and if you want it yours, write your own request.

Fourthly, Don't up and ghost me when we are trying to set up a RP for the love of god! I was with a group that was going to be doing a really cool concept, and I was the first to post, and as soon as I posted, two left and have yet to return, and the rest just abandoned it, leaving me alone with nobody there. I was (and am) absolutely pissed about this, but it's not like I can do anything about it.

Fifthly, I swear if you give me a two damn word answer, I will personally throw you into the pits of hell. I once wrote an entire Novel chapter's worth of info and all I got back was - and I quote - 'dareeus screams'. They did no punctuation, misspelled their own character's name, and didn't even bother to capitalize the sentence. What was worse was that they thought that I was the poor writer, because - and I quote AGAIN - 'i guess you arent that skilled if you cant respond to me'. I have never wanted to reach through a computer monitor so bad and break this guy's face over my keyboard. Summary, please for my mental health write at least a paragraph.

Sixthly and finally, please don't look at a character I made and say, 'Ew.' The number of times that has happened is SO depressingly often that it makes me want to quit writing. I have somewhere in a google docs folder over 90 Various characters/ character ideas that got scrapped solely because a person has said something along the lines of 'No, it's hideous. Burn it.' This one is less of a pet peeve and more of a pet heartbreak, but still. Don't hurt my feelings. Feelings cost a lot of money and I'm living cheap right now, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't take them and smash them all over the floor.

having a rp server, with multiple members, and hardly any of them actually ever discuss/talk about the rp or characters, or actually rp. it's a rp server, i understand lives are busy and people can't rp all the time, but like. its not hard to at least try and engage with the rps? if you have time to talk or vent about your life, then surely you'd have time to discuss plotting or whatnot with everyone else?

even worse if they then proceed to complain that they're being left out, or left behind in the rps that they aren't making an effort to participate in.

idk it just personally irritates me when there's a rp server, specifically for ooc discussion or plotting etc etc and then everyone just ignores the rp in favor of talking near exclusively about other things.

Random people contacting me to roleplay without reading my request thread. Or, them contacting me to roleplay without any ideas or plots as if I'm supposed to be the one to provide that for them. Don't reach out if all you want is for someone to do everything while you sit back and do nothing.

Seeing that rare interest check for something you might actually be interested in, but then you see the posting requirements and know you cannot keep up with them. Ugh.

Probably being villainised (is that a word?) for not being the best at plotting; specifically, intense plotting. I guess it's unpopular, but I'm someone who enjoys having a basic idea or goal to go off of and then letting the roleplay/story write itself to get to that point. If things are mapped out in too much detail, it takes some of the magic out of it for me. I like being surprised by things my partner's character does and having to react on the fly, and I also think it opens more creative doors for situations we might not have otherwise seen coming or initially planned for.

Blurring the lines between fiction and reality is my pet peeve at the moment.

My pet peeve is whenever my partner tries to have a trauma war with our characters. Like, some of 'em were starting to get ridiculous with how much they had their character go through trying to one-up me and mine. Your character isn't any better, just let things unfold naturally damn 😭

So many good ones I agree with that I want to reply to but i'm having to physically stop myself lol.

People who use your ad to get a roleplay partner.
I had it recently (it wasn't on RP nation) where I posted a roleplay storyline and got a message from someone saying thry wanted to roleplay. SO I started talking about mine in more depth and they said 'oh no I want to do this sotryline'.

And then called me rude when I asked why they messaged me if they had no intention of roleplaying the ad....

I forgot this earlier in my pet peeves but when you're in a group RP and the GM has more than two active interest checks out for other group rps at once. When I see that, I pretty much immediately lower my expectations that the RP at hand will ever be finished. I understand that some people can split their attention like that (Im not one of them), but in my experience on this site, its like flashing a big ol' neon sign saying 'Dont Get Your Hopes Up, Buddy Boy' cause it almost never bodes well for the rp in question.

When someone gives a character a challenge, specifically a disability, but they don't play it respectfully. Or don't treat it respectfully.

Someone I knew gave a character brain damage, and they would laugh about it when they were talking about it. Say they were going to fall or bump their head, and have a seizure because of it. And laughed. They never did anything else with the brain damage. Just make a joke about bumping their head randomly.

A loved one of mine has brain damage, and they have a lot of issues associated with it. It's debilitating at time. It's not a joke.

Character redemption only works if the character has capacity for it or remorseful of their past actions. I am not fond of redeeming characters just for redemption sake. You can’t ignore lore or back story.

If I've agreed to do a romance and requested slow burn... I want slow burn dammit. No, they're not soulmates from the get-go.

On a similar note, they're not necessarily enemies from the get-go either. People can fall in love/create an interesting bond without hating each other first!

Having a very specific plot in mind but not finding anyone who is willing to rp it. Sometimes I just want to rp low effort clichés, sorry 🙃

When people just fly off the handle. Just completely off it. They claim they would rather be told up front if things aren't working out instead of being ghosted but when I do explain politely we are not compatible, they lash out.

This is one of the reasons people dip. Toxic behavior.

Daydreaming and planning a response to a roleplay I'm really enjoying while I'm at work... And then getting home and having no energy to do so.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening everyone! It's been a while.. :xFwink:

A classic pet peeve of mine would have to be that moment when everyone's getting along fantastically but there's that one guy who has to cause drama (IC and/or OOC) in the team for the sake of being edgy...

why.gif

Pushing romance way too fast or wanting to fix arguments between characters like in a day or two. Like drama and the slow burn romance is most of the fun.

Also just planning out an rp and making your first post just for it to get dropped in two or three replies.

When people get so hard stuck in their simple character traits
Don’t get me wrong, I love when characters have core traits built off. Like Booth, he laughs a lot, everything is a joke, he takes nothing serious

except- no, there are things he does take seriously. And I find it so satisfying when a character like Booth doesn’t laugh

But there’s been times when people just don’t let her their character not laugh, someone dies and the mfs still laughing. Cmon!
and this goes for any trait, be is dullness, shyness, etc

Ahhh also, someone mentioned when people hardly reply to anything you said in your reply, but to build off this
When they actively ignore or god forbid, change what your character did, or assume too quickly

How do you know my character’s sister is mean? My character shoved you, its not even mentioned in your response, and my character is not kissing you back!

When you write in your post it's spring and the reply is about winter. And no, there wasn't a time skip between posts.

RP features a lot of combat yet it's very hard to tell what is dangerous or not.
I get it for some things, where creatures are deceptive in how strong they might be. But seriously, if my character is a fighter, he should have some sort of idea of wheter something can easily be killed or will kill them for sure.

Bonus : PvP is included. No way to solve player conflict. It becomes a "My dad is better than your dad" situation real quick.

When people try to write villains... without letting them be villains. Like, c'mon, bro. Don't be a coward. Let them commit an atrocity or two! You can humanize them all you want, but they should still be on the grey-ish side of the morality spectrum at least if you're going to claim that they're so evil and unhinged.

when i finally have an idea for a plot/thread, but my brain refuses to cooperate and create an interest check for it 😭 😭 😭

When people refuse to let their character be unlikable. It’s like if you don’t feel comfortable portraying an unlikable character then don’t give them an unlikable personality.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back