Roleplay Pet Peeves

Well in my opinion the split attraction model can really only be applied to Aesexuals/Aromantics. Many people from the LGBT+ community has said that the Split attraction model can be harmful did those not of Aesexual/Aromantic orientation. Which I believe is why people only list 'sexual' orientation, because that usually applied to your romantic orientation as well.

Okay that can explain it; being I'm asexual and most of my interaction with LGBTQA+ is other asexuals and in the place I come from that's pretty commonplace. Again, not an expert, and not claiming to be one. ;D

I'd have to say people who don't play a character with an illness correctly. They don't do the research needed on this condition and what the symptoms truly entail. I find a lot of people don't give characters actual flaws but physical ones instead. Which then only up's my annoyance because now I am forced to play nurse in an already unrealistic situation. My characters aren't perfect but i'm willing to take 7 to 12 years perfecting my character.

Also. One more.

Unwarranted critiques. Or unprofessional ones. Don't say someones character sucks and then give no info. This isn't critique this is bad mouthing. Plain and simple.

When your partner makes discussions all about their character. They hardly ask about your character, but will contribute happily to any and all discussion about their special snowflake.

When you are doubling and someone clearly puts triple the effort into one character than the other.

When people try to balance their characters abilities (magical or not) the same way you would a video game ability. I always cringe a little inside whenever I see an ability with a cooldown time, or "it only works X times a day", it just kind of breaks the immersion for me and feels like a kind of lazy way to balance the ability.

i use cooldown measurements measured in real world units of time, like short range "Jaunts" with a 6 second cooldown and the like. makes more sense than a cooldown measured in posts.

When people try to balance their characters abilities (magical or not) the same way you would a video game ability. I always cringe a little inside whenever I see an ability with a cooldown time, or "it only works X times a day", it just kind of breaks the immersion for me and feels like a kind of lazy way to balance the ability.

It seems to me like the better and more realistic thing to say is 'Character has strong ability but it is very draining for character to use'. They COULD use it more than X times a day, but would feel some sort of negative repercussions. (The ability might not work correctly, it could backfire, it could put cause the character to pass out from pushing themselves too hard.)

i use cooldown measurements measured in real world units of time, like short range "Jaunts" with a 6 second cooldown and the like. makes more sense than a cooldown measured in posts.

It seems to me like the better and more realistic thing to say is 'Character has strong ability but it is very draining for character to use'. They COULD use it more than X times a day, but would feel some sort of negative repercussions. (The ability might not work correctly, it could backfire, it could put cause the character to pass out from pushing themselves too hard.)

But there are better ways to go about it, IMO abilities weaknesses should be more organic. Superman has heat vision, it doesn't do 100dps for 20 seconds with a 60 second cooldown, he cuts through things with his laser eyes, it's either on or off, and it's really cool, and the tradeoff is in the name! It's heat vision, meaning while it's cast it burns anything that he's looking at forcing him to turn it off to get his bearings without scorching everything around him. That makes the ability feel cool and unique with a weakness that makes your opponent approach the ability creatively to nullify it.

If you want to give an ability a good weakness, look to how it's cast. For example, your Jaunt spell, how do you cast it? Do you need some sort of item to focus your magic through? Does it require hand movements? Line of sight on the area? Maybe the way it works is that you're actually traveling through another, smaller plane of existence where 1 foot is equal to 10 or 20 feet in the material plane? This already gives us a treasure trove of weaknesses to work with. If it's a smaller material plane then suddenly you're operating with a lot less accuracy, especially when you're moving quickly in the heat of a battle, meaning you'll have trouble teleporting to the specific area that you want to get to. This means if the combat area has dangerous pitfalls or traps you're gonna have to be reaaally careful about where you step in the aether. If it requires a sort of spell forcus or hand movements? Line of sight? All the better! Suddenly your character is completely nullified if you have your hands bound, your focus taken from you, or your eyes covered! three more easy weaknesses that are more organic than cooldowns that your opponent can really abuse with some creative thinking.

Whenever parts of a roleplay are forced by another person. I was in a roleplay that was completely ruined by one person, who overran the plot with his shitty character development. He kept forcing it, and his mini-plot was horrible. His writing was absolutely atrocious, but he acted like he was better than anyone there. While everyone else was writing +3 paragraphs, he would write less than one per post. Seriously, he was all my pet peeves in one person.

Just thought of a new one!

When someone plays a character who does not feel emotions but prefers an item too be a certain way, or to like something, or Agent 47 copies, first, someone without emotions won't prefer something unless it is on instinct, say if you prefer your coffee black, that means you have emotions, because it would annoy, dishearten, or cause another emotion if the coffee wasn't black, otherwise you wouldn't favor anything because you DON'T HAVE EMOTIONS!

Second, Agent 47 is cool as fuck, hes so seasoned and conditioned that can predict bullet trajectory, rate of fire, AND even accounts for recoil. But unless you are very knowledgeable in weaponry and HIM, you won't pull off the emotionless killer very well. It's just science.

okay, i'm not reading all 61 pages so if any of this has been said, i apologize.

-characters based on stereotypes are bland and unappealing.
-people who try too hard to be ~ ~ dark and edgy ~ ~ with every character.
-childish characters. not children, childish characters. playing a 20+ year old who acts like a five year old is gross and annoying.
-people labelling their characters as "sociopaths" or "psychopaths" when they're clearly not.
-one line responses to paragraphs.
-people who don't pay attention to the plot that's been crafted for their characters to work within.
-"no one's life is as tragic as mine" characters. a lil tragedy makes for a character with depth, but we're all tragic, buttercup.
-people who say their characters are mentally ill or otherwise disabled but never actually address how, nor show the symptoms in the writing.
-character death. just bc it makes me cry.
-KILLING PETS. please no i'm not emotionally ready for this.

there's a lot more but i'm too lazy to address anymore ahah

Vacent23 Vacent23 lol I hear ya on the homonyms, I’ve pretty much given up on getting them right.

I am a little more lenient to ghosting now then I used to be. Mostly because I’m older and very busy in my own life so I understand sometimes you forget to check back in or such. Like I’d prefer you to tell me if your not interested but if you don’t it’s not the end of the world.

Also I’m actually the opposite with replies. I hate people who are like I posted so you have to post within like twenty minutes or I’ll lose my shit.

Like I’m I might be working, eating, sleeping, etc.

Like I don’t have a computer surgically attached to my body at all times and if you do that might be something you need to work on.

But there are better ways to go about it, IMO abilities weaknesses should be more organic. Superman has heat vision, it doesn't do 100dps for 20 seconds with a 60 second cooldown, he cuts through things with his laser eyes, it's either on or off, and it's really cool, and the tradeoff is in the name! It's heat vision, meaning while it's cast it burns anything that he's looking at forcing him to turn it off to get his bearings without scorching everything around him. That makes the ability feel cool and unique with a weakness that makes your opponent approach the ability creatively to nullify it.

If you want to give an ability a good weakness, look to how it's cast. For example, your Jaunt spell, how do you cast it? Do you need some sort of item to focus your magic through? Does it require hand movements? Line of sight on the area? Maybe the way it works is that you're actually traveling through another, smaller plane of existence where 1 foot is equal to 10 or 20 feet in the material plane? This already gives us a treasure trove of weaknesses to work with. If it's a smaller material plane then suddenly you're operating with a lot less accuracy, especially when you're moving quickly in the heat of a battle, meaning you'll have trouble teleporting to the specific area that you want to get to. This means if the combat area has dangerous pitfalls or traps you're gonna have to be reaaally careful about where you step in the aether. If it requires a sort of spell forcus or hand movements? Line of sight? All the better! Suddenly your character is completely nullified if you have your hands bound, your focus taken from you, or your eyes covered! three more easy weaknesses that are more organic than cooldowns that your opponent can really abuse with some creative thinking.

the "Shroud Jaunt" is the intangibility use of the ability, because it takes you to the Shroud briefly, or the Shadows beyond reality. though Shroudwalking or the mobility variation, is a form of high speed movement that involves phasing back and forth between the material plane and the shroud to accelerate movement. where one foot can be up to thirty feet. but movements and speech are considered muted while moving.

while these abilities don't require gestures and don't require incantations. they require concentration to enter and exit the appropriate planes, and leave the character, Umbrie in this case, weak to abilities that specifically damage extraplanar creatures. like natives of the Shroud such as Nyxads.

I hate when people leave in the middle of the rp and never respond ever again or they do but it's either 3 days or a week after also people who correct my words and/or punctuations like if I use your instead of you're like who cares are you the grammer/spelling police or something or if they want me to be more detailed you get what I give you also picky and rude people I personally don't care how you rp you rp whatever works for you and what your comfortable with ok also people who don't play a character right like you can change the character a little bit just keep 80% of the characters personality like at least sorta the same as the game or movie etc the character is from I hate people that ate not active and serious roleplayers like if something happen in your personal life and or your tired and want to sleep tell me first you need to stop and we can continue later
Full stops, they save lives.

I hate seeing roleplays where the GM has their character at the center of it all, and they have every other character mapped out with no room for creative freedom from anyone. It's like they want everyone to be a supporting cast member. I mean, if you have all of that, just write a book.

I hate when people leave in the middle of the rp and never respond ever again or they do but it's either 3 days or a week after also people who correct my words and/or punctuations like if I use your instead of you're like who cares are you the grammer/spelling police or something or if they want me to be more detailed you get what I give you also picky and rude people I personally don't care how you rp you rp whatever works for you and what your comfortable with ok also people who don't play a character right like you can change the character a little bit just keep 80% of the characters personality like at least sorta the same as the game or movie etc the character is from I hate people that ate not active and serious roleplayers like if something happen in your personal life and or your tired and want to sleep tell me first you need to stop and we can continue later
I'm going to disagree with you on the grammer bit, if you make posts like that.
Proper grammar and syntax are vital in making sure your posts are well understood by anyone reading them. This is especially true if you're writing something like an action scene, or anything that's heavy on detail.

Unnecessary grammar-nazing, I can understand being a pet peeve, though.

When people can't wait a few minutes for a response and keep bugging you until you respond.
I have something similar:

When people bug you to respond because they want to respond next and you're holding the scene, so you go, interrupt whatever you were doing to reply to it expecting them to wait for you and reply soon, since well, they asked, but no!
They disappear... only to be seen again in a couple days.

Uhhh, excuse me?
Why even rush me then?! I could have done it in a few hours as I had already planned to or something!
Few things make me angry, but if you rush me and I say I'm doing it, at least wait until I'm done or be back in a few hours, jeez!

PEOPLE WHO DON'T PROOFREAD THEIR POSTS.

The difference is glaringly obvious between those of you who read your posts over once or twice and those of you who hit reply right away and never look back.

hello persons i am in roleplays with please interact with the world and plot more

you made it

why am i doing all the plot work

why do your characters not have aspirations they're lovely people

(not here lol)

fuCKING DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITY DISORDER

i cant take it anymore

if you can't do the fucking research don't do it at all

fuCKING DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITY DISORDER

i cant take it anymore

if you can't do the fucking research don't do it at all

just??? mental health in general

don't give your characters 'problems' because you want to make them edgy jesus christ

just??? mental health in general

don't give your characters 'problems' because you want to make them edgy jesus christ
Yeah! It's really disrespectful to those that actually suffer from these, they're not fun! They make life 100 times more difficult, even the very simple things that supposedly shouldn't be hard at all!!

If you want to portray these, then at the very least bring the disadvantages it causes to the table as well...

And no, depression doesn't make people cool, just stop it >.>

Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun
basically
yeah depression makes you a blank slate of white noise and you can't get out of bed and nothing is fun or enjoyable (or sad or anything) anymore but sure
sure buddy
your one dimensional character needed developing and you're feeling lazy

--

also when the creator of a roleplay gives you a deadline (what is this high school??) to complete your character form and then.....

doesnt start the roleplay???/?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back