Roleplay Pet Peeves

I'm beginning to have a distaste of using pretty people as a representation of your character. Don't get me wrong I done mine those things, it just very boring. And also, there seems to be rose in popular on k pop on here? Or Koreans in general? Is it a counteract on weebaboos or something.

Finally, I can't stress over that bbcode should be used either in character sheets and other things save for the Rp itself. then there's some before designs that I feel look a tad bit lazy. No offense to anyone who does if.

I just need to rant my frustration about how group RPs barely make it past ten posts. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten so excited to do a group role play and get left hanging because nothing happens plot wise. Either that or the GM/one person you were interacting with completely ghost on the rp.....

I'm beginning to have a distaste of using pretty people as a representation of your character. Don't get me wrong I done mine those things, it just very boring. And also, there seems to be rose in popular on k pop on here? Or Koreans in general? Is it a counteract on weebaboos or something.

Finally, I can't stress over that bbcode should be used either in character sheets and other things save for the Rp itself. then there's some before designs that I feel look a tad bit lazy. No offense to anyone who does if.

I believe the K-Pop thing is just what's popular with the youngsters today. like the teen demographic on this site are into K-Pop the way my generation would have been into Saturday morning cartoons or anime. It's not really a reaction just a shift in trends reflected by an upsurge in new teens joining.

That said yes the over abundance of models/actors in face claims is frustrating

I believe the K-Pop thing is just what's popular with the youngsters today. like the teen demographic on this site are into K-Pop the way my generation would have been into Saturday morning cartoons or anime. It's not really a reaction just a shift in trends reflected by an upsurge in new teens joining.

That said yes the over abundance of models/actors in face claims is frustrating

I'm actually incredibly guilty of using pretty people as a face claim, mostly because I find it difficult to find regular fcs. (I've no clue as to what to call them so regular it is.) Although if a place to search ordinary looking human beings without being overly creepy is found, I would love for it to be directed to me. I've also been molded into it as everyone else uses them and I regard them as the norm. Although it is refreshing to see new, non models or actors enter the scene. I'll make note to work on that personally.

As for k-pop, I do understand that its the 'in' and can be a bit irritating if more than half of the rp charas features these fcs. I'm okay with the face claim if not used too abundantly but I'm a strong believer in getting asian fcs properly...fitted? It's a peeve of mine if a person uses a Korean fc but their character has a Chinese name. (Culture issues and such.)

Edit: ony applies to modern rps, fantasy and other rps with different world settings are okay with me considering the premise is entirely different.

But then again, that might just be me.

Last edited:
1. As soon as I see an interest check with tiny font and pretty BBCode I get triggered and keep myself from screaming in anger. No offense, but just to get my message across: I couldn't care less about what your interest check looks like. I want a simple, straightforward, easy-to-read paragraph to get me into your plot. That's all I'm asking for. If reasonably practical, add BBCode afterward to make it prettier and a detailed exposition of the setting to make it more grounded, but for god's sake, why make the font smaller? I don't want to stare at your interest check five centimeters away from the screen just to read a sentence right!

2. Second of all, GMs that forbid certain types of art for character appearances. Seriously? Yes, I discourage people from using real face claims because I find it slightly creepy, but I don't disallow it. An appearance is meant to be a purely cosmetic thing and is always third-rate in terms of importance when writing a character. Despite that, trying to narrow it down to just "realistic art" really limits people's creative freedom. I genuinely find such rules cancerous, not even gonna lie. It's just a malignant way to kill off a person's creativity - and sure, it won't ruin a good character, but why ruin the little fun details?

3. These sick, inhuman bastards that give me a half-assed response when I sat for thirty minutes straight trying to write two detailed paragraphs, with several more lines for singular actions with dramatic irony and a chekov's gun invoked. That moment: When I try to be a good writer, and all I get for it is two or three lines of meaningless, inconsistent information is when I get up from my desk, go to the bathroom, wash my face and tell Squidward about how evil this world is.

4. Power limitations. You've seen one of these in a character sheet, haven't you?:
"Powers: (Up to three)"

The thing is: I'm a goddamn writer. I might give my character one power that's far more diverse than three that another might have, like wizardry. I might want to give another five powers that are considerably weaker. Or I might be making a villain that needs to be strong as to pose a serious threat to the heroes - but I can't. Why? "Because fuck you," says the GM, not trusting me with power levels. If someone's making an OP Mary Sue, just fucking kick him out, don't ruin the fun. Characters aren't meant to be equal in power. You need a badass who saves the day. You need the hero who just learned how to cast a fireball. You need the black knight that can rise an army of undead to throw at the two of them. Trust your players to take care of their powers responsibly and just step in if they take it too far. Geez.

5. When the players leave the roleplay and don't tell me. It's not just being stabbed in the back. It's being stabbed in the back, teabagged, and avoiding explanation for these actions.

6. Lack of communication among players. Fortunately, this rarely occurs in the roleplays I GM. I consider myself an experienced game-master. I've GM'ed numerous roleplays that actually had a PROPER ending thus far, unlike many others on the site, all of them Fantasy. I am currently GMing a few more, and I can tell you this: The key to ending a RP is being a persistent dick. You have to keep prodding the players into working together and making a plot, otherwise it won't work. They need to learn to get along and share each other's ideas, modify each other's ideas, agree on the results, and execute them IC. That? That's the moment when you know that you're roleplaying things just right. The very sight of several players discussing their concepts, character ships, and possible future arcs is MONEY. And I've seen it numerous times thus far and I hope I will get to see it many times in the future.

That will be all. *Bows and leaves*​

When you role play with a person for so long all their new characters seem to fit the mold of their previous characters. They end up creating their own version of a Mary Sue and it can be frustrating being original with them :closedeyescryingfrown:

Doesn't take a joke. Everything has to be so sad and serious in roleplays. I love my comedy genres
Writing examples. This just means you're an option to someone. If they don't like you they throw you out. I don't want to beg to be someone's writing partner. People should what to role play together for different purposes.
Books/Manga Shows/ Anime Trying to role play a certain verse: "That's not what happens in the manga."
Me: *Only watched the Anime and Flips table* TRIGGERED

Mandatory faceclaims. I can understand why some people might like to use them but I feel it would be creepy and unoriginal of me to use real people. And I can almost never find something that fits, anyway. I just like to let the writing speak or itself.

Ghosting, but I guess that's less a pet peeve and more like an understandable response to a probably uncool thing to do.

Oh, but probably more than anything, replies (regardless of length) that don't actually do/accomplish anything. Refusing to interact with characters, environments, obvious plot hooks...WHY.

Technically a Dice RP Pet Peeve that is GM Style Specific. but when the best armor my female character can wear for protection is a friggin skimpy pair of Lingerie because the GM played too many Female Blood Elf Alts and thought it would be cool to force the small faerie to run around unprotected from the elements and in something that ruins the Aesthetic i envisioned her fulfilling. a cute faerie posing as a young lady should not be forced to run around in the Bikini to amuse the GM. at least allow me friggin spidersilk or let me wear a chain shirt beneath my clothes.

Technically a Dice RP Pet Peeve that is GM Style Specific. but when the best armor my female character can wear for protection is a friggin skimpy pair of Lingerie because the GM played too many Female Blood Elf Alts and thought it would be cool to force the small faerie to run around unprotected from the elements and in something that ruins the Aesthetic i envisioned her fulfilling. a cute faerie posing as a young lady should not be forced to run around in the Bikini to amuse the GM. at least allow me friggin spidersilk or let me wear a chain shirt beneath my clothes.
I know that's annoying but I find that really funny that some GM's just like "You find the epic dragonscale armor. It's a bikini."

Doesn't take a joke. Everything has to be so sad and serious in roleplays. I love my comedy genres
Writing examples. This just means you're an option to someone. If they don't like you they throw you out. I don't want to beg to be someone's writing partner. People should what to role play together for different purposes.
Books/Manga Shows/ Anime Trying to role play a certain verse: "That's not what happens in the manga."
Me: *Only watched the Anime and Flips table* TRIGGERED

So for the last do you mean fandom Roleplays in general or do you mean spoilers for a particular fandom?

As for writing samples the reason people ask for them is to determine the compatibility of writing styles. Not everyone has compatible writing styles and samples can prevent you from wasting time setting up a roleplay with someone you won't be compatible with. I've had that happen spent days setting up only to have my partner not be able to reply to my post and end up ghosting or just quit

I hate when someone creates a character who has a very important role or is becoming very important, then just leaves or takes forever to post

I'm in this RP now where someone plays the King. Literally had an entire chapter dedicated to the King's crowning. Didn't even post during the crowning ceremony or the part where we all had to fight some monster who attacked on the Crowning Day

I hate when someone creates a character who has a very important role or is becoming very important, then just leaves or takes forever to post

I'm in this RP now where someone plays the King. Literally had an entire chapter dedicated to the King's crowning. Didn't even post during the crowning ceremony or the part where we all had to fight some monster who attacked on the Crowning Day

sounds like the D&D games where somebody volunteers to play the cleric and misses 85 percent of the sessions for made up excuses to hide the fact they don't want to admit they think the cleric is boring when the cleric has so many spell options besides healing and has millions of ways to smite infidels.

Rp partners who want you to rp their oc's romantic interest, but won't do the same for yours.

See I'm the opposite. I would prefer you honestly requesting a OC Romantic interest than trying to force me to make a set number of "matching" characters just to have things be "fair".

Ex.
Pairing Is : Shy Girl x Jock
Partner : I only play females so I'm Shy Girl and you have to play Jock. But if you want I'll make a boy for you so that you're girl can have a boyfriend.

Firstly assuming I want to make a second character in the first place is kind of presumptuous. And assuming that the second character is going to be a female that needs a boyfriend is even more so. What if I want to make Jock's brother Nerdy Boy and he's being bullied by the homophobic Mean Girl? Is that not still fair?

So yeah I mean I understand how frustrating it is when a RP is really only about one person. It does drive me crazy when you can tell from the get go that the other person doesn't care about you and is just making it all about themselves. It's just the whole "keeping things fair" thing almost bothers me more. Because at least when someone is being obviously selfish you know your on the same page. But when they start telling you who you need to play in order to make it their idea of fairness is just - like look how about you let me come up with my own characters and if i am bothered by the fact that i'm playing all the males I'll let you know.

TeacherxStudent and other really imbalanced pairings. They squick me out.

Yes even when it's "technically legal" as in both parties are over the age of consent. It's like look it's one thing to think your teachers are hot, we've all been there. But to actually get into a relationship with this has always been like - ugh no.

I mean I get that it's a pretty big staple in like harlequin style romance ( especially in harlequin's YA counterparts ) but I just never got the appeal.

Like even as an actual teenager I was like - but that's actually super creepy. I mean they're adults and if they're actually willing to date you that's not a good sign.

Or the sister's fiance x younger sister or whatever kind of pairings. Where the female (main) protagonist is basically stealing their best friends / siblings / sometimes even parents significant other.

Again, but why?

Seriously that's not romantic at all that's the main character being a raging irredeemable asshole.

I dunno like I get romance is a huge thing and I get there are a lot of cliche romantic stories out there. But stories where in it's super imbalanced or one party is objectively ruining people's lives I just never saw the appeal.

Please be literate....

I've never seen someone on these forums who was illiterate, but somehow this keeps being brought up as a condition for roleplaying. It's just kind of annoying and snobbish. Like the op is saying, don't be stupid please.

Please be literate....

I've never seen someone on these forums who was illiterate, but somehow this keeps being brought up as a condition for roleplaying. It's just kind of annoying and snobbish. Like the op is saying, don't be stupid please.

there is a difference between being Literate and having an English Major in College. not every Literate Person has an English Major, but every roleplayer on this site has to be Literate to get by. Literacy is just the ability to read and write text whether on a sheet of paper, a screen, or something else,

Extremely bad grammar, as in using your and you're incorrectly, their, they're, there, lack of apostrophes...

Godmodding, making their character practically immortal.

Controlling my character. I don't mind if they control my char a bit just to get the action going, for example, if both our characters are walking towards a bar, and they make their char enter the bar, it's perfectly fine to assume that mine also went in. Thing gets annoying with stuff like: 'he slapped him in the face and (my char) starts crying'.

Unnecessary skipping scenes. Like, our characters are having an argument, and suddenly, they write: 'and X said: Your logic is flawed. The next morning...'. Just no! I could have had plans for that time, if you want to do a timeskip, warn me about it.

The: 'fuck your three paragraphs Imma send you three words'.

Writing in this style: *smiles* *blushes*. I absolutely despise that style, I prefer the typical: she smiled, he blushed.

people who put too much effort into prolonging a scene that has finished its natural course by adding filler to the scene.

people who post descriptions that consist of an excessively large list of repetition that involves abusing the thesaurus. get your details off quickly and clearly, even if your posts are shorter, don't repeat fifty times the lavender color and eevee print on your Japanese schoolgirl's pair of ruffled lowrise panties when i understood it the first time and don't care about them.

I dunno like I get romance is a huge thing and I get there are a lot of cliche romantic stories out there. But stories where in it's super imbalanced or one party is objectively ruining people's lives I just never saw the appeal.

Thank you for putting into words a sentiment I've been feeling for the longest time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back