Roleplay Pet Peeves

Well, they still might not be a goof fit for an rp, or just a flat, poorly written character.

I see well let me clarify. If you don't know maxuim  effective range of say a M4 during a roleplay. You just make it all well it's irks me how many fail to use actual real concepts in roleplay battles/story wise.

yeah GM intervention is a thing, but (having not read the rp in question) your intervention sounds like it was straight up wrong and essentially bullying

it was a hypothetical. but yes, i would invite a soldier into a Zombie Apocalypse RP just to single him or her out and try to shame him or her for playing a soldier during a zombie apocalypse through GM intervention. if a character is powerful enough to break the setting. i set the opposition to directly target their character until the broken element is removed. in other words, i bully people for deliberately overoptimizing their characters to the point it breaks things and their character kills the mood of the game. even if it means using smarter and more powerful creatures from the setting, the kind that would know the big threats. Munchkins don't become aware of their own Minmaxing Powermad Ways until you humiliate them for following them and push them on the path of reform.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a hypothetical. but yes, i would invite a soldier into a Zombie Apocalypse RP just to single him or her out and try to shame him or her for playing a soldier during a zombie apocalypse through GM intervention. if a character is powerful enough to break the setting. i set the opposition to directly target their character until the broken element is removed. in other words, i bully people for deliberately overoptimizing their characters to the point it breaks things and their character kills the mood of the game.

I doubt toxic behaviour is good for an rp.

I doubt toxic behaviour is good for an rp.

Deliberately Overoptimizing your character with the intent to Break the Challenges of a GM's RP, Steal the spotlight and one-up everyone else is Even more Toxic for an RP than Acting Toxic Towards the Roleplayer who overoptimized their character with deliberate game ruining intent. the Munchkin doesn't become conscious of the consequences of their powergaming ways until after you humiliate them so hard that they end up seeking reform.

Deliberately Overoptimizing your character with the intent to Break the Challenges of a GM's RP, Steal the spotlight and one-up everyone else is Even more Toxic for an RP than Acting Toxic Towards the Roleplayer who overoptimized their character with deliberate game ruining intent. 

But you don't have to accept the character if you don't like it. 

the Munchkin doesn't become conscious of the consequences of their powergaming ways until after you humiliate them so hard that they end up seeking reform.

Or you could just talk to them about the consequences of powergaming instead. 

If a character does not fit a gm's expectations, here is what you do:

1. Tell them politely how to correct their mistakes. 

2. Don't be an asshole.

It's not difficult. 

But you don't have to accept the character if you don't like it. 

Or you could just talk to them about the consequences of powergaming instead. 

IF A CHARACTER DOES NOT FIT THE GM'S EXPECTATIONS, HERE IS WHAT YOU DO:

1. TELL THEM POLITELY HOW THEY CAN CORRECT THEIR MISTAKES. 

2. DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE.

IT IS NOT EXACTLY HARD.

look at how many Powergamers/Munchkins are stubbornly unwilling to nerf their characters and look at how many of them don't care if they ruin the fun of the players they play with. and if i don't invite them, they would probably still post in the thread anyway and godmod their way to Victory when they weren't invited. i have seen how these kind of powergaming special snowflakes act on other sites.

Is this still the roleplay peeves thread....?

I think its okay to discuss how to handle the peeves

Peeve: People who write things but with no idea why in terms of the story and write themselves into a corner. It probably makes sense for their charcter just fine, but leaves nowhere to go.

Peeve: People who give you fluff and no meat to respond to, leaving you awkwardly dragging the RP along by yourself. Hell, sometimes they don't even give you fluff.

This isn't "other sites" though, this is RPN where we respect other players. If somebody does not fit the regulations for your roleplay, you tell them. If they post in the thread anyway, you ask them politely to remove their post. If you continue to have issues with them, you report it to a moderator. Simple. 

Peeve: People that join fandom roleplays but make characters completely irrelevant to the fandom. 

look at how many Powergamers/Munchkins are stubbornly unwilling to nerf their characters and look at how many of them don't care if they ruin the fun of the players they play with. 

In my experience, the vast majority of roleplayers are willing to nerf their characters if you ask them too. And those who don't nerf their characters won't suddenly realize the error of their ways regardless of how much of a jerk you are towards them. 

Peeve: People who play the most Brokenly Overpowered thing they can get away with in the Roleplay with the intent to Steal the Spotlight by one-upping the other players, Dominate Encounters with as Little Possible Effort required, and literally requiring nothing short of Full on Shaming to Stop. these kind of people who cannot deal with a simple discussion and get so defensive, calling their GM a power freak and refuse to rebalance their character towards the power level of the RP, for example, the Military Badass in the Zombie Apocalypse or the guy who Exclusively plays full progression vancian spellcasters in a D&D game because 9th level spells are better than anything else.

Peeve: the player who is such a jerk or so stubborn, that they only react when you deliberately call them out in ways that could pass off as disrespectful to the point of bullying

Peeve: the guy who runs a Setting that has so few available allowed character options that 90% of the roleplayers can't interact.

In my experience, the vast majority of roleplayers are willing to nerf their characters if you ask them too. And those who don't nerf their characters won't suddenly realize the error of their ways regardless of how much of a jerk you are towards them. 

i have known too many of those people and it kind of misshaped me

Also, how on earth do I insert multi-quotes in the new editor?

Highlight the text you want to quote, and an option to "Quote this" should pop up. Or, quote the entire post twice, then delete the excess words.

Peeve: People who join a Fandom RP, admit they know little to nothing about this part of the lore (say, someone joining a Fallout RP focusing on the Capital Wasteland and they only played Fallout 4), and refusing to use the resources you supply them to help them enter the setting. It's like they're walking through a maze in the dark, and you hand them a map, flashlight, and walkie-talkie, yet they still choose to stumble blindly through the dark.

@jinkx , @The Swedish Chef , @Umbrie

Let's put a pin in the topic of GM actions towards players guys. We're not here to give critique on how other people choose to roleplay just state what bothers us. 

If you guys would like to continue the conversation your welcome to make a new thread.

Every character in the Rp being cis or heterosexual is my pet peeve tbh.

As in nobody making trans and/or gay characters for an Rp.

Ah I'd try 1x1s i'd say probably half the romantic pairing based requests there are for gay characters. Trans is a little tricky because there is the risk of causing offense if you don't get things correct so people tend to steer clear of that unless they actually are trans.

As in nobody making trans and/or gay/ace characters for an Rp.

I can understand this. But then again the people that do try to make characters like that can sometimes turn their character into a bad stereotype or just portray it wrong. Like Rae said, they could do it but they would probably slip up unintentionally and become very offensive very fast. I personally think of it as being one of those lose/lose kind of things. 

I can understand this. But then again the people that do try to make characters like that can sometimes turn their character into a bad stereotype or just poetry it wrong. Like Rae said, they could do it but they would probably slip up unintentionally and become very offensive very fast. I personally think of it as being one of those lose/lose kind of things. 

Rping trans characters is lose/lose? Alrighty... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back