Roleplay Pet Peeves

my mother is almost 48, and she can pass for about 28. she takes skincare seriously and has taken skincare seriously since she was in primary school. she is also obsessive with her health and so on.

a 50 year old shouldn't be passing for 12. but it was an exaggeration to prove older characters can still appear drastically younger than their true age through clever use of skincare, makeup, clothing choice and diet.

lol your taking it too literal hun. i was agreeing with you. i'm saying that people can look a few decades younger than their actual age sure. but if your trying to make me believe a child is in their golden years than your likely looking for something a little more akin to fetishes than i'm personally comfortable with. 

this wasn't meant to be an attack on you. or a disagreement to your post. i was just adding in my thoughts on the matter. 

lol your taking it too literal hun. i was agreeing with you. i'm saying that people can look a few decades younger than their actual age sure. but if your trying to make me believe a child is in their golden years than your likely looking for something a little more akin to fetishes than i'm personally comfortable with. 

this wasn't meant to be an attack on you. or a disagreement to your post. i was just adding in my thoughts on the matter. 

thankies. i wouldn't believe a child could be 50 unless the setting had reasonably common ways for a character to stave off aging. such as using a magic ritual or nanomachine injection to gain cellular reconstruction. i mean, i like playing small and cute childlike figured young adult female characters. but i generally don't make them older than their twenties. in a dice game, i will spend some kind of resource tax on the disguise skill or the charisma attribute to represent the character being proficient in the skill of covering her up her features to make herself look younger than she naturally does. this could be as simple as playing a charisma based archetype or playing a rogue. covering basic features is a minor aspect of the disguise skill. which can be made untrained if you have an okayish charisma.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the usual, I have a few things that get on my nerves that have been eating at me lately such as:

• When people describe their character was beautiful, or handsome. That's it. No description as to how they're physically attractive, only that they are.
  • People who's characters can only be beautiful or handsome, flawless in every way even though they live in a harsh fantasy world or regularly engage in fights.
  • People who are waaaaay too attached to their characters. I get it, I love my trash children too, but when you personally and aggressively attack the GM in a public chat because they said your character couldn't do something that was literally impossible based on the pre-established rules, there's a problem.
  • Along the same lines: characters who can do no wrong. They never get hurt. They never miss a shot. They're never wrong. If they're rude it's justified and they're morally in the right at all times.
  • People who derail a whole game just to lament on how tragic their character is for...no real apparent reason as no character development actually comes from it.

In addition to the usual, I have a few things that get on my nerves that have been eating at me lately such as:

• When people describe their character was beautiful, or handsome. That's it. No description as to how they're physically attractive, only that they are.
  • People who's characters can only be beautiful or handsome, flawless in every way even though they live in a harsh fantasy world or regularly engage in fights.
  • People who are waaaaay too attached to their characters. I get it, I love my trash children too, but when you personally and aggressively attack the GM in a public chat because they said your character couldn't do something that was literally impossible based on the pre-established rules, there's a problem.
  • Along the same lines: characters who can do no wrong. They never get hurt. They never miss a shot. They're never wrong. If they're rude it's justified and they're morally in the right at all times.
  • People who derail a whole game just to lament on how tragic their character is for...no real apparent reason as no character development actually comes from it.

lol. that middle one reminds me of a time when i was in a teen titans chat. and mr. snowflake mc a-hole decides that they didn't like my character. because he was a "mary sue".  when i had asked the GM specifically if the character was okay and had been approved. not only that i was active in the group and willing to do my part to get things off the ground. 

no one else had a problem with my character but when mr. snowflake mc a-hole said something suddenly the GM was calling me out ( in the public chat ) about how I should change my character because people ( read: the a-hole ) where complaining about them.

oh i was hot. like first off if you have a legitimate issue with my character you can PM me or something and I'll work on it. Second the person who started the drama didn't even join the roleplay. They just popped in, caused drama, then popped out. 

Like. ugh no no no. 

One of the multitude of reasons I refuse to do groups anymore. People and their drama man. It ain't worth it.

• People who's characters can only be beautiful or handsome, flawless in every way even though they live in a harsh fantasy world or regularly engage in fights

i don't see a Warrior (or anyone) being Beautiful or Handsome when they walked through a dungeon for days without a bath and collected all sorts of blood, Grime, and filth on their armor. i also agree that a character should have a description for what makes them beautiful or handsome. for Example, Umbrie's Childlike Figure and intentional youthful mannerisms are the source of her innocent charms. but she wouldn't be considered attractive as a barmaid and definitely wouldn't be invited to the Inn Rooms of her Patrons in said scenario. people might pay to invite her for dinner or dessert, but that is the most she could reasonably get. and while she appears to be harmless and innocent on first impression, she isn't. Umbrie capitalizes on the fact her opponents think she is innocent, cute, and harmless to get in those nasty sneak attacks and reduce that aggro. she isn't beautiful, just cute.

at the same time, a different example, Blake Belladonna would probably be Adorable if she worked as a Waitress. she would probably get lots of Tips. it would be a perfect cover for her. but it would be hard to take her seriously as a fighter if she did the waitress role until she actually starts dishing out some serious damage to her targets. there are different optimal appearances for different things. being cute and attractive for gathering information and carousing probably comes at the expense of people taking you seriously as a fighter, plus those points in intelligence and charisma probably came out of your strength and constitution budget. looking strong and hardy for combat probably comes out of your carousing intelligence and charisma budget.

loli (definition)

1) short for lolicon 
2) hentai that contains underage females in s*xual situations. 
3) an underage child, often depicted in s*xual poses in hentai movies/images.

please, the word makes me uncomfortable. all i'm asking is that you don't use it on this thread; it really isn't too much to ask for. 

loli (definition)

1) short for lolicon 
2) hentai that contains underage females in s*xual situations. 
3) an underage child, often depicted in s*xual poses in hentai movies/images.

please, the word makes me uncomfortable. all i'm asking is that you don't use it on this thread; it really isn't too much to ask for. 

do you know a more appropriate term for a physically underdeveloped young adult woman with a youthful figure and possibly youthful features? i intended nothing sexual from the word.

Oh I just thought of another major peeve!

When people try and pull real world science into a fantasy world.

Fantasy Worlds need a Basis for determining the Physics of that particular world. Earth Physics are an easily understandable and easy to assume baseline. Generally the Physics of a Given World determine the limitations and rules of that particular setting.

young looking woman? woman youthful in appearance?

i might need to remember those for possible reference. at least for the thread.

@Umbrie Other potential adjectives, if you want them: childlike, maybe? (I think you mentioned they look pre-teen or something?) Or just 'physically underdeveloped', which is a clear descriptor? I think both of those words are clear and general enough to give anyone an idea of your character's physique without any connotations. 

There are a few things I can't personally deal with. I don't hate or single out anyone who does it but I subconsciously try to avoid them even when I don't want to. One of them is when staff involved in running a roleplay take way too long to get back to you on something including character applications. I know people have lives but I feel if you can't find time once in the day (void the few rare reasons IRL) then you should not run an RP. The second one is when people use hideous colours in their posts that are hard to see or horribly contrasting. Like, I GET IT AMIGO, YOU LIKE PINK. The third thing and final thing I'll close on for now is when people make the anti-social badass. Most of the time, they're not played properly or they're just entirely not fitting into the setting.

• Condescending or snarky behavior outside of role play chat.
  • Super abusive or emotionally manipulative behavior outside of role play chat.
  • People attempting to manipulate or control your character without explicit permission.
  • Lack of consistent writing levels.
  • People who don't help to advance the plot, or contribute to plots as a whole.
  • "Completely random/unpredictable/weird/rawrxD" personalities in characters.
  • Bad grammar and spelling.
  • "Special snowflake" and "mary/gary sue/stu" characters
  • People who don't allow for others to be in the limelight of roleplays.
  • Overly cliche plots.
  • Bad renditions of characters from manga/anime/tv shows/movies.

To your first point, I agree, but not because the writer failed to provide useful information about their character's appearance. In many cases, at least a brief description is included along with the statement that the character is universally attractive. What bothers me is that when someone says "this character is beautiful/handsome/etc.," they're telling me how my character ought to view their character. But beauty is subjective! Unless it was previously agreed that my character would find this other character attractive, the writer needs to allow me to make that decision on my own. I know what my character would find attractive, after all. It's like a really sneaky way to godmod. Controlling my character's perception of another character is still controlling him, as I see it. 

This might be something a few people have experienced but when people write celebrities as their oc's. You know, they choose a famous faceclaim and by total coincidence, their character acts exactly the same as that celebrity. I had to put up with one dude trying to roleplay as Kurt Cobain before. Nope. Nope. Nope. 

This might be something a few people have experienced but when people write celebrities as their oc's. You know, they choose a famous faceclaim and by total coincidence, their character acts exactly the same as that celebrity. I had to put up with one dude trying to roleplay as Kurt Cobain before. Nope. Nope. Nope. 

Okay, I laughed at the Kurt Cobain thing. Do people actually do this? I've had people roleplay carbon copies of one of their faceclaim's roles, in the case of actor faceclaims, but never the FCs themselves. 

Arrriight, let's see:

•  Inappropriately handwaving explanations. The phrase "it's just a story" or "it's fictional" makes me want to hurl my computer at the wall. Even fictional worlds have science behind their workings. You don't have to go in-depth. Just a surface-level explanation would work fine. Weapon that makes people explode? How does it do that? Man with six times the strength of the average man? Okay, but why is he so strong? "Because training" isn't an answer. Explanation adds both character development and world building elements.
  • GMs who don't stick to their guns, or those who let players push them around. You have rules, and I joined on the premise that we would all adhere to these rules. I'm trusting you to keep things organized to these rules so we can enjoy ourselves.
  • People who absolutely cannot separate character opinion from player opinion. Sometimes, characters are going to be people you find repulsive, offensive or downright awful. By extension - I hate that certain words and slurs are censored on-site. I can understand OOC censorship, but sometimes character voice might call for something nasty and offensive to be said.
  • Players who ABSOLUTELY MUST USE THE SAME CHARACTER IN EVERY ROLEPLAY. Adapting an existing character to a new roleplay is something I don't have a problem with (I have several sci-fi and fantasy races I adapt back and forth to suit context), but you can't just bring your existing character and dump them in a new roleplay without accommodating for the setting. Back on an old site I RP'd on, we had a space-adventure science-fantasy setting going on, and one guy was just determined to be a 21st century Gunslinging Detective-Noir / Super-Soldier hybrid. He went as far as trying to justify him waking up from 1500 years of cryo-sleep, from a pod which was - for whatever reason - in our ship. It was just too far-fetched ...

you won't beleive how easily a fully automatic weapon can run out of ammunition. the Big issue with an MP5 is that it is a spray and pray weapon and as a GM, you can penalize them for spraying and praying, by literally docking around 25 rounds every turn they fire, because they will literally go through a quarter or third of their ammo on just a normal series of shots, because there is no realistic way you can take single shots with a fully automatic weapon.

military officers tend to have a purely decorative saber as a sign of rank. commissioned with their name engraved on the hilt. i wouldn't have allowed the guy to carry 2 katanas without pointing out the extreme fragility of the katana's slender blade and how easy it is to shatter a modern factory made katana, which are the only kind he would be able to realistically acquire,  because there is no way a field soldier could afford an authentic nihonto. let alone 2 of them.

so yes, bring your friggin soldier with the MP5 and twin katanas. Expect to run out of all 100 rounds after about 4 uses and expect those katanas to break if you use them for anything but slicing unarmored flesh.

If someone doesn't fit your RP, maybe you should just not set the character, or ask them to change it. Seems better than letting them in only to hamstring them. That being said, seeing a character like you've described being accepted can turn me off joining an RP.

Also, what you've said is mostly incorrect. For the sake of facts, I looked this up on Wikipedia:
An Mp5 fires at most 15 rounds per second. It can't be that hard to pull a trigger for less than a second.

An Mp5 also, depending (wiki), has a fire selector switch that allows you to set the gun for semi-auto, 2 or 3 round burst, or full automatic, so really the first point there is irrelevant.

This ones more opinion, but no one sets out to make a 'spray-and-pray' weapon. If you've made one, surely you are just terrible at your job.

1. i hate forced shipping as well, Wanna ship your OC? earn a willing ship by roleplaying in a manner that pleases the character. Umbrie will not merely become your Automata doll after merely one night of you buying her sweets.

2. there is a difference between using logic to win a fight and trying to use a godmodded character and attribute it to your skills. most of the time, the skills did hardly any of the work, the character's heavy power advantage did all the heavy lifting.

3. come up with a description of your dodge and have a consequence. even if it is something simple as the bullet painfully grazing your shoulder in an irksome manner. not every hit need be a kill shot.

4. i play loli nymphs with intelligence and charisma scores through the stratosphere and similar builds. i don't try to be the center of attention. i do the negotiation, the Party Beefsteak does the fighting and the party medic does the healing. while i might have enough healing skill to save the downed medic from dying, i'm not going to steal the spotlight of the guy who chose to be the medic.

Note on 3: Or just take the bullet. I mean, there are times where you don't want a character to be shot, but usually in an RP there isn't too much harm in having someone be injured. Most of them run on 'action movie' rules anyway. (Not to say that I'm not guilty of this)
Or, better again, talk before you get shot. I had an RP a couple months ago where we had a standoff and someone knocked all the 'bad' characters out. Then realized he had no idea what to do to wake them up, story-wise, so we all just stopped. I mean, conversation seems like a much better interaction than 15 post of combat.

I had someone refer to me as my character before. As in, my character did something and they tagged me and asked me why had done that. When people can't distinguish between characters and roleplayers writing them, it's such an issue for me.

(Which is weird because back on my old roleplay site, people constantly referred to each other by their character names. I was so used to people calling me Rezi that I would just automatically respond to it IRL. But that was an entirely different site so... Yep.) 

If someone doesn't fit your RP, maybe you should just not set the character, or ask them to change it. Seems better than letting them in only to hamstring them. That being said, seeing a character like you've described being accepted can turn me off joining an RP.

Also, what you've said is mostly incorrect. For the sake of facts, I looked this up on Wikipedia:
An Mp5 fires at most 15 rounds per second. It can't be that hard to pull a trigger for less than a second.

An Mp5 also, depending (wiki), has a fire selector switch that allows you to set the gun for semi-auto, 2 or 3 round burst, or full automatic, so really the first point there is irrelevant.

This ones more opinion, but no one sets out to make a 'spray-and-pray' weapon. If you've made one, surely you are just terrible at your job.

it would be easier to just not allow the soldier into the Zombie Apocalypse RP, but i wanted to punish the Soldier character by Crippling their equipment, only because i like drinking the Salty Tears of "Optimized" Soldiers as they start Whining like babies when their almighty Arsenal becomes next to useless. GM intervention is a thing.

it would be easier to just not allow the soldier into the Zombie Apocalypse RP, but i wanted to punish the Soldier character by Crippling their equipment, only because i like drinking the Salty Tears of "Optimized" Soldiers as they start Whining like babies when their almighty Arsenal becomes next to useless. GM intervention is a thing.

yeah GM intervention is a thing, but (having not read the rp in question) your intervention sounds like it was straight up wrong and essentially bullying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back