Roleplay Pet Peeves

This is more about the characters... But i kinda dislike songs that fit with the character. Sure, you created a character based on a song, or created a character and then found a song that matches... But what can i use from this? If it's something in an arena rp that fits with the characters combat style, then sure, i would gladly jam out as i pound you into dust fight your character, but aside from that i don't see the reason. It's especially annoying when it's some shy character... and there's fukn... heavy metal... like what

This is more about the characters... But i kinda dislike songs that fit with the character. Sure, you created a character based on a song, or created a character and then found a song that matches... But what can i use from this? If it's something in an arena rp that fits with the characters combat style, then sure, i would gladly jam out as i pound you into dust fight your character, but aside from that i don't see the reason. It's especially annoying when it's some shy character... and there's fukn... heavy metal... like what

It’s usually just the player recommending songs to you. Like I have literally seen CS phrase it that way and it makes the whole thing a lot more understandable.

So now if I see a song I’m just like oh thanks from the recc.

That being the case yeah it’s pretty much useless in story. But a lot of people add things that are functionally useless.

Like blood type, horoscope, favorite food, etc.

How often do any of those come up?

I usually just take it as the persons own character creation process and ignore it.

Right. I had this one guy that was like "plz listen" and when i tell them no they just called me a I'm uncultured and left, i was like "alright cool, glad to know i cant have a choice in life"

I also dislike characters with tragic histories. Like does your character really have to have a horrible past or some dark secret that bubbles beneath the surface? Are you so afraid of your character not being special or getting attention that they need to be abused or orphaned or bullied or possibly all three, just to move the plot along (which it often drags down a story IMO). I can understand someone having a hardship but I hate when a character suddenly has one that the writer never disclosed beforehand. it feels so underhanded. Like...oh I didn't know what my character was really getting into with your character and I kinda want out.

Or I dislike the opposite also, characters too oblivious or happy to even know what to do when faced with a challenge. Like, characters do need to know suffering (but not so much that it derails the RP as a whole). A character who has had everything handed to them and has a smile on their face all the time...like no, don't try to tell me their perfect life has also shaped them to be super sympathetic somehow. Characters need to be challenged and pushed and characters who whine or brush off development are equally aggravating.

So I guess it annoys me to see characters created without some restraint. Characters too tragic looking for obvious sympathy from someone else to valid their hardships, and then characters so boring and perfect and cheerful, too dumb to see suffering and learn from it...tick me off.

I also dislike characters with tragic histories. Like does your character really have to have a horrible past or some dark secret that bubbles beneath the surface? Are you so afraid of your character not being special or getting attention that they need to be abused or orphaned or bullied or possibly all three, just to move the plot along (which it often drags down a story IMO). I can understand someone having a hardship but I hate when a character suddenly has one that the writer never disclosed beforehand. it feels so underhanded. Like...oh I didn't know what my character was really getting into with your character and I kinda want out.

Or I dislike the opposite also, characters too oblivious or happy to even know what to do when faced with a challenge. Like, characters do need to know suffering (but not so much that it derails the RP as a whole). A character who has had everything handed to them and has a smile on their face all the time...like no, don't try to tell me their perfect life has also shaped them to be super sympathetic somehow. Characters need to be challenged and pushed and characters who whine or brush off development are equally aggravating.

So I guess it annoys me to see characters created without some restraint. Characters too tragic looking for obvious sympathy from someone else to valid their hardships, and then characters so boring and perfect and cheerful, too dumb to see suffering and learn from it...tick me off.

I think there are decent ways to portray a character with a tragic past it's just most people that play characters with those types of backstories don't know how to do it. For me I moreso enjoy characters that have a tragic backstory but, grew stronger because of it or use it to actually motivate them instead of just crying about it. I think people believe that just having a tragedy in their character's past makes them somehow a better or 'deeper' character when it's how you use that past that matters and if you have it be the only thing that defines your character than it's just a waste in most cases.

It does require a deft touch but often times it overshadows the present the character finds themselves in and I hate when it comes back up just to be an attention grabbing ploy.

Another thing I dislike which is happening right now is circular discussions and plotting.

Like, I ask a partner what they'd like to see happen as I've already given my input and thoughts on how things could go. The partner then rephrases the question back at me, not even offering their own suggestions. Like, I hate just slinging ideas and someone just nodding and going along with it. If I wanted to make all the calls, I would not be roleplaying with someone else! I shouldn't have to ask someone something over and over just to see where their head is at and to me, if they don't have input, we aren't going to work out. A passive partner is dead weight.

It does require a deft touch but often times it overshadows the present the character finds themselves in and I hate when it comes back up just to be an attention grabbing ploy.

Another thing I dislike which is happening right now is circular discussions and plotting.

Like, I ask a partner what they'd like to see happen as I've already given my input and thoughts on how things could go. The partner then rephrases the question back at me, not even offering their own suggestions. Like, I hate just slinging ideas and someone just nodding and going along with it. If I wanted to make all the calls, I would not be roleplaying with someone else! I shouldn't have to ask someone something over and over just to see where their head is at and to me, if they don't have input, we aren't going to work out. A passive partner is dead weight.

I dunno, what do you want to eat?

I love BnHA roleplays as much as the next guy, but it bothers me when everyone immediately goes for generic [element]-kinesis/manipulation quirks for their characters. I know that some people want to focus on other aspects of their character or just don't want to make an entirely new power, but as someone who does enjoy making such powers, I always feel like my characters are super outclassed by others that could drown them, electrocute them, or throw them into low earth orbit without even making eye contact.
Now that it's re-entered my interest-sphere, I've noticed a lot of people doing this with RWBY OCs, too. People make characters that have single-form weapons with Dust compatibility, use raw Dust directly, or just have elemental Semblances and no weapon. Commanding the elements is fun, but Dust is supposed to be hard to master. And everyone being able to sling lightning at one another reduces the fights from intense whirlwinds that you keep watching on Youtube because you could barely follow them the first time to generic shounen anime battles full of screaming and explosions.

In general, though, I don't get it? Why would anyone not want to make their oc stand out while remaining within the boundaries of established canon? I mean, I have panic attacks when my characters are remotely similar to someone else's, so I'm probably being the super unreasonable OC police and getting bitter because other people are having fun with their characters. But I'm still kinda getting sick of the elementalism trend.

I love seeing character's edgier than a razor blade factory, but I do not like roleplaying with them. Sometimes it can be fun to tease the character; most of the time I grate my face on a keyboard. Being in a group where character's hook up at first glance. It seems my pleas to move the plot forward cant be heard over the loud moaning and thumping going on in the roleplay.

tinder, and yes. the idea is to create a place where people who are only interested in romance can go to find fellow players; the same way we provide separate boards by genre.

They do have this. It's called the 1x1 section.

EDIT. Although it would be nice if they did have romance up as a tag on there. It would make searching for the 10 other platonic 1x1 roleplayers easier.

They do have this. It's called the 1x1 section.

EDIT. Although it would be nice if they did have romance up as a tag on there. It would make searching for the 10 other platonic 1x1 roleplayers easier.
We were discussing group threads being ruined by romance, a problem the 1x1 section can't solve.

This is more about the characters... But i kinda dislike songs that fit with the character. Sure, you created a character based on a song, or created a character and then found a song that matches... But what can i use from this?
I try my best to include a theme song for all of my characters. I do so to further communicate the energy, attitude, and general atmosphere said characters often create. Here's an example.

Everyone knows Mr. Freeze, the infamously frigid and frightening adversary of Batman. But there are several interpretations of the character. My Mr. Freeze is cold-blooded, domineering, brilliant, and constantly buzzing and hissing inside his technological advanced cryo-suit. I feel this song and slideshow helps reinforce those characteristics.

Music is powerful in terms of conjuring mood. And I love thick, palpable moods whenever I roleplay.

We were discussing group threads being ruined by romance, a problem the 1x1 section can't solve.

Where we? You just said "this site needs a character tender section" you didn't mention anything about groups.

For groups just point the folks to the 1x1 section and tell them they can do their own spin off there. (Assuming your the GM.)

It's not about what you can use; it's not about other people, period. It is solely about them, and how cool their character is. There is something you can use, though: you can quickly easily determine which applications to reject by checking to see if a song was included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back