Roleplay Pet Peeves

Roleplaying isn't about length post or competing about who's the better among us. It's about dwelling within your fantasies and imagination and having fun. Of course portraying your character and interactions are important--but you should try to learn how to have fun too!
So people shouldn't get too hasty or pissed off just because someone's post didn't go the way you wanted. Atleast appreciate their effort.

Had some dude in a Discord RP leave recently because he didn't like what we were posting. Started bringing IC drama to OOC and it was weird :<

Yes, yes it is. Roleplaying is about having fun. But there are a lot of people I've found who don't quite get the fun part, or the group part, for that matter :<
It's quite saddening, indeed. The problem is that people are rather competitive, wanting to brag about their own skills.

Re: Forced Gender Assignments.

The thing that pisses me off about this mentality is the blatant hypocrisy.

Susie: I am a woman and so I am not comfortable playing a male because I don't have practice/I don't have man parts/I feel like I'll get them wrong.

Also Susie: I don't play with male players because they can be creepy (valid). So Jan (also a woman) you have to play the male character in our roleplay.

You don't get to whine about being unable to play a character that is not your gender than turn right around and demand other people play outside their gender for you.

It's just so selfish sounding. And then they'll try to soften the blow by saying they'll double and I'm like... That doesn't help. Because your just forcing me to play TWO characters for you rather than One.

Instead why not just be honest.

Susie: I want to play out this romantic story with X romantic interest. Since X is my ideal romantic partner I need someone else to roleplay them. If you like I can play your ideal romantic partner for you. Or if you have a different character you'd like me to play do let me know.

Susie: I am a woman and so I am not comfortable playing a male because I don't have practice/I don't have man parts/I feel like I'll get them wrong.

Also Susie: I don't play with male players because they can be creepy (valid). So Jan (also a woman) you have to play the male character in our roleplay.

You don't get to whine about being unable to play a character that is not your gender than turn right around and demand other people play outside their gender for you.

It's just so selfish sounding. And then they'll try to soften the blow by saying they'll double and I'm like... That doesn't help. Because your just forcing me to play TWO characters for you rather than One.

Susie: I want to play out this romantic story with X romantic interest. Since X is my ideal romantic partner I need someone else to roleplay them. If you like I can play your ideal romantic partner for you. Or if you have a different character you'd like me to play do let me know.
You hit the nail right on the head. This is why I don't double at all.

You hit the nail right on the head. This is why I don't double at all.

I mean at least ask nicely. Like I guarantee most people aren't going to be offended if someone just says : Hey I want you to play this ideal romantic partner for my character.

For that matter if you insist on doubling make it an actual REQUEST. Ex. Hey I am asking you to play X character. Would you like me to play someone for you?

Again this way your asking the person nicely and it seems more like an attempt at compromise. Rather than one person just making demands they assume the other person will appreciate.

I mean at least ask nicely. Like I guarantee most people aren't going to be offended if someone just says : Hey I want you to play this ideal romantic partner for my character.

For that matter if you insist on doubling make it an actual REQUEST. Ex. Hey I am asking you to play X character. Would you like me to play someone for you?

Again this way your asking the person nicely and it seems more like an attempt at compromise. Rather than one person just making demands they assume the other person will appreciate.
I completely agree with you. Some people can be picky and immature sometimes. People took their time to create their characters. It's not something to be tossed away.

I completely agree with you. Some people can be picky and immature sometimes. People took their time to create their characters. It's not something to be tossed away.

lol well i mean even for the people who don't put a lot of work into their characters. it's still just good manners to ask. don't assume people are just going to cater to your own wants.

What I dislike is passive partners or passive aggressive ones who you are plotting with. Either you get no real response and you're made to feel like you're the only one invested. Or you get someone who is unhappy with the plot but doesn't openly say it but you can just tell in how they're replying to your comments in OOC. Like, tell me if something is wrong or be active in the plotting. I can't read minds and I hate dragging the story all by myself. Or worse, I'm taking charge but my partner refuses to say anything even though they used to be more open and engaging.

Communication that fizzles or never happens can sink a roleplay no matter if it's been one post or twenty posts.

Pisses me off...

Without communication and mutual respect, what's the point of trying in you feel like you're on your own?

It probably has already been told but i didn't read the 71 pages, sorry !

Anyway i just come back from a rp server with a contest for being the center of attention and the most tragic characters, while claiming it made them different.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a tragic event is really important to a character backstory, to explain a particular trait for example. Played right it can really be interesting. But don't use "my parents died murdered" as an excuse to do shit. Half of the parents here are dead, the others aren't playing stupid.

It had a school set up. The first night of the rp, as the children just arrived, one of them had a stroke and his heart stopped. Two days later he almost drowned in the lake nearby. I had to interrupt my own rp each time to save his ass. So... yeah, moving the rp yes. Being on the verge of death every hour no.

Another pet peeve is when someone makes an handicapped or mental issued character, and just doesn't know anything about it. It's good to try something different but when i do it, i try to do basic research. So when i see someone saying "My Lolita has schizophrenia" to see her switch and become totally someone else... That's DID. Not schyzophrenia. (Also work when someone says their character is blind and still thinks "Oh you look cute" (without inspecting his face, nor from the voice. He just learned his face by the power of fairies i guess.)

I dislike god modding the most, but I also dislike short responses, slow replies, text talk, or people who don't play well with others?

You know what I have a few pet peeves, but something I've noticed increasingly is that people are indirect to the point of being painful to deal with. What ever happened to getting to the point when discussing the setup of a new rp (one on one or otherwise). I am so sick and tired of the hours it can take to negotiate an RP and your partner is being vague and beats around the bush the entire damn fucking time. And when you're assertive and just jump in, well hells bells be ready for someone to bail because you scared them. It makes me want to pull out my hair.

I wish more people weren't so damn timid about discussing the wants/needs/desires of their RP so we can get to actually RPing. And weren't so damn startled when someone ACTUALLY has their shit together enough to go "this, that, in there, right here, now" like don't get so spooked by RPers knowing what they're doing . . . some of us have been at it a long time, take a note from our book, just GET IT DONE!!!!

You know what I have a few pet peeves, but something I've noticed increasingly is that people are indirect to the point of being painful to deal with. What ever happened to getting to the point when discussing the setup of a new rp (one on one or otherwise). I am so sick and tired of the hours it can take to negotiate an RP and your partner is being vague and beats around the bush the entire damn fucking time. And when you're assertive and just jump in, well hells bells be ready for someone to bail because you scared them. It makes me want to pull out my hair.

I wish more people weren't so damn timid about discussing the wants/needs/desires of their RP so we can get to actually RPing. And weren't so damn startled when someone ACTUALLY has their shit together enough to go "this, that, in there, right here, now" like don't get so spooked by RPers knowing what they're doing . . . some of us have been at it a long time, take a note from our book, just GET IT DONE!!!!

I know right. I mean like I swear I'm not a unicorn. I just have a really clear idea of what I want and I would like to get to the part about what you want. Preferably without me having to hold your hand through the entire process.

I know right. I mean like I swear I'm not a unicorn. I just have a really clear idea of what I want and I would like to get to the part about what you want. Preferably without me having to hold your hand through the entire process.

Right, the hand holding gets me. That is a pet peeve all it's own. Like I get not wanting to step on toes, I'll admit I've dealt with people who ask 101 questions in a minute and it's overwhelming, but when you don't add to the conversation and all you do is agree with your partner . . . that is no way to get a story going, I don't want to feel like a guide leading you through, I would write my own damn story instead of RPing. I want a partner who contributes.

This can go to the whole negotiation thing too. Like contribute or at least have some energy to you. A lot of people I encounter give this hesitant, uncertain vibe and it feels like a red flag to me. Like is that how you are all the time? Where is the confidence? Worse is when it is their own damn idea and they're still giving off that "startled baby deer" vibe. Arugh.

//dies

Ohmygod so fuckin true.

Man and what gets me is they refuse to play lesbians too. Like look both have the same parts and we never have to RP men!!!! >D But nope. Men be creepy don't want RP with them, but also give me that meat so my gal can have a hotdog!

I dislike characters (males or females, both are guilty) that need to have people fighting over them. Like a shy guy who also happens to be super hot, has all these girls crushing on him and fighting for his attention. Or a cute girl who doesn't think she's cute but then has all the guys scrambling to get with her.

I just don't like characters that monopolize a romance plot. Romance has ups and downs, yes but it's not meant to be some harem fantasy, at least for me, it's not fun playing that for others. I'm sure for some it's fun but it's not for me.

Also, I dislike getting PMs with little effort thrown in. First impressions matter to me and if you're going to be lazy or use poor grammar or acronyms/emoji, I see us not being a good fit. I'm all for casual OOC stuff when we're on the same page but if you're in the first stages of getting to know if you and someone are going to click, put some effort into it.

Or what's worse, someone tells you to PM them when you've laid all your cards out on the table and then have to PM them to ask for a reply when THEY could PM you with their reply instead of taking an extra reply to get on the same page. It makes my blood boil if I post a thread and then someone asks me to PM them. Like, no, I did all this work, you should be able to meet me halfway.

Or what's worse, someone tells you to PM them when you've laid all your cards out on the table and then have to PM them to ask for a reply when THEY could PM you with their reply instead of taking an extra reply to get on the same page. It makes my blood boil if I post a thread and then someone asks me to PM them. Like, no, I did all this work, you should be able to meet me halfway.

I was wondering about that, really! I've seen a bunch of search threads with the searcher asking for people to PM them, and the people ask to be PM'd instead. It's like, did you not read? It sucks to write all of that down and have people post in the thread saying, "Hey! I like this idea! Send me a PM!" It's almost like they expect you to do all the work in communication, and not only that, but it kinda gives me the impression that they might make me carry the plot and story, too.

Then again, maybe there are some people who don't mind it?

I remember once when I put a search thread out, I specifically asked people to PM me and not post in the thread and someone did with a snarky remark. I wasn't too happy at the lack of following simple directions.

I was wondering about that, really! I've seen a bunch of search threads with the searcher asking for people to PM them, and the people ask to be PM'd instead. It's like, did you not read? It sucks to write all of that down and have people post in the thread saying, "Hey! I like this idea! Send me a PM!" It's almost like they expect you to do all the work in communication, and not only that, but it kinda gives me the impression that they might make me carry the plot and story, too.

Then again, maybe there are some people who don't mind it?

I remember once when I put a search thread out, I specifically asked people to PM me and not post in the thread and someone did with a snarky remark. I wasn't too happy at the lack of following simple directions.

The only time I don't mind is if they say they're a newbie who can't pm. I mean I sometimes get confused when I am replying to multiple threads but that is still no excuse. If you say don't reply in the thread and someone does than that's on them.

I also hate it when people are like..."Hey I like your ideas." That's nice in all but it doesn't tell me what you actually want to roleplay.

The only time I don't mind is if they say they're a newbie who can't pm. I mean I sometimes get confused when I am replying to multiple threads but that is still no excuse. If you say don't reply in the thread and someone does than that's on them.

I also hate it when people are like..."Hey I like your ideas." That's nice in all but it doesn't tell me what you actually want to roleplay.

I've had the "want to rp?" or "I like x, y, and z ideas" and then when I try to get them to plot with me they just give me curt, short answers like they have no thoughts at all. Except the only 'idea' they have is "let's do your idea, but here's the plot: your character has a thing for my character because she is an absolute QT and when we roleplay together I'm going to explain in depth her perfect, sexy body, especially when I'm describing her chest and bottom and tight clothes to accentuate said chest and bottom."

Like, give me a break, please. First of all, that's not even a plot. Second of all, I'm gonna need a bucket of cold water, and it's not for me.

I've had the "want to rp?" or "I like x, y, and z ideas" and then when I try to get them to plot with me they just give me curt, short answers like they have no thoughts at all. Except the only 'idea' they have is "let's do your idea, but here's the plot: your character has a thing for my character because she is an absolute QT and when we roleplay together I'm going to explain in depth her perfect, sexy body, especially when I'm describing her chest and bottom and tight clothes to accentuate said chest and bottom."

Like, give me a break, please. First of all, that's not even a plot. Second of all, I'm gonna need a bucket of cold water, and it's not for me.

QT?

Also for me I think just some kind of engagement is enough. You don't need to have a plot or setting in mind. I usually offer some jumping off points myself. I am just like at least tell me which idea you like and why.

And if I do happen to be doing the lionshare of the set up don't turn around and accuse me of being too controlling. Like if your contribution is just Yes/No/Meh Than you don't get to say that my ideas are too controlling. Cuz I'm out here making up my own world by myself. You don't like it that's your own fault. You should have spoken up.

I mainly do 1x1's. I absolutely hate it when I start off the rp with a starter that leaves it very open for the other person to jump in and interact with my character, and they reply with their character doing something halfway across the world.

Okay that's an exaggeration, but I mean what's the point of having your character be doing something COMPLETELY different and having our characters finally interact after 30 messages and a bunch of wasted time.

I understand that sometimes build-up at the start is necessary, but this always happens in roleplays where build-up before the charas meet is unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back