Roleplay Pet Peeves

When I'm doubling with someone and they put more effort into the plot that they wanted to do, essentially leaving the other plot behind. I'm cautious of doubling sometimes because if someone isn't going to put equal effort into both stories it's not as fun.

When I'm doubling with someone and they put more effort into the plot that they wanted to do, essentially leaving the other plot behind. I'm cautious of doubling sometimes because if someone isn't going to put equal effort into both stories it's not as fun.
I hear you. I don't really like doubling at all especially if romance is involved because more often than not it becomes about that person wanting their character to experience love with their interest and so on. The plot is watered down and romance is central. I've had it happen too many times.

I hear you. I don't really like doubling at all especially if romance is involved because more often than not it becomes about that person wanting their character to experience love with their interest and so on. The plot is watered down and romance is central. I've had it happen too many times.

I think problem is that doubling in 99.9% of romance isn't doubling at all. It's mirroring.

It's essentially the exact same concept as mirror posting only with characters instead.

As An Example ;

Sally likes to play Females in Male x Female romance. Jan also likes to play Females in Male x Female romance.

So Sally offers to play a Male for Jan if Jan returns the favor and plays a Male for Sally.

They are essentially making the exact same relationship twice, ergo they're mirroring each other.

The problem with mirroring is that it presumes your partner wants the exact same relationship dynamic as you. I mean honestly it's no different than just straight asking someone to play a male to your female. The only difference is the perceived idea of reciprocity. Oh you played this male so I'll play that male.

And I HATE the whole concept. Like just ask me if I want to play a male, I honestly don't care either way. Don't force me to make two characters when one is obviously superfluous.

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is when cliche romance is forced into the roleplay. Basically it’s like love at first sight or their character somehow loves your character without even having to meet them or get to know them. I have nothing against romance but just let it happen slowly as the roleplay goes on.

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is when cliche romance is forced into the roleplay. Basically it’s like love at first sight or their character somehow loves your character without even having to meet them or get to know them. I have nothing against romance but just let it happen slowly as the roleplay goes on.

Or alternatively if you want the romance to start when the roleplay does than have the characters be in an established relationship. That way you can say they already love one another without any build up and you can just focus on whatever the plot is.

- My go to compromise.

Doesn't always work but it's a nice way to meet in the middle if the person insists that the characters must love one another automatically with no in-roleplay build up.

I have a particular dislike of WIP CS posts. Because usually people don't actually finish them in my experience. Like, if it's WIP why isn't it in a doc somewhere instead of sitting in my application thread.

I guess I'm a natural born hater because there's more than just a couple of things that annoy me when role-playing, but I'll just name the top two that really irk me and that I have unfortunately have stumbled across lately.

1. When people have their characters have this super dramatic and sad/sob backstory. E.g. their character was beaten as a child, their parents died when they were just a kid and they have been on their own since then, etc. I understand that sometimes drama is needed, but overly using this backgrounds for characters has really come to annoy to the point that as soon as I see them in a character sheet, I feel the need to drop the rp. Not that I do it, as I do believe in giving it a try and see where it gets, but if the character is a living melancholy or entirely cliché and inadequate I just... Poof! #SorryNotSorry
  2. People who don't put the least amount of effort in their replies. It's like 'cool, you have good grammar' and stuff, but their replies are legit only describing what JUST happened in my reply, and in return you did nothing new to give me something to reply to. I guess some people are not familiar with the order of: reply to what happened in the previous reply, add some own character thoughts/actions, and end with something that gives the other person something to reply to.
Honestly... it's not that hard.

Last edited:
If I send you a message saying I’ll be gone, message back with confirmation that you got and read the message.

Not too hard, takes two seconds.

If I send you a message saying I’ll be gone, message back with confirmation that you got and read the message.

Not too hard, takes two seconds.

I think it does that automatically. If you look to the side it says who was the last person to view the message. Or at least at one point it did that.

That said YAS pls just tell me you heard the message

This might sound offensive but I sort of dislike people using the same character for every rp. I am talking about characters that are literally copy and pasted into any genre. Jenny can be an elf, a space marine or a pirate; the only constant is her name, her appearance and her general personality. The same character is being played across several different rps at the same time.

Now, here is my problem with that; for one, I've never had a good experience with these kinds of characters. They always come off as flat to me. I believe it's because they're never really built for the story or even for that specific genre. They just sort of hop around without a consistent race or background. This tends to weaken the character's personality imo because they end up as just cardboard cutouts with random traits stapled on that have no real basis on anything because the character was never actually developed, you know what I mean? The other reason is because the players I've come across that use these types of characters tend to get confused. They're playing Jenny with so many different people that Jenny is calling your character names that aren't theirs, Jenny's past has suddenly changed, she has mutant powers now and btw we're in Jurassic Park.

I just don't like 'em.

Last edited:
When people like your thread instead of sending a message on the thread or through DM.

It just irks me, I’ve actually started ignoring those people. If they want to RP, they’ll see that I didn’t respond to their cookie or heart or whatever, and send me a message.

It always amazes me how half the rp posts I see apply to 1x1s and because I'm a group roleplayer I can see the simple solution to that but then I realize "wait, that won't work. They're talking about 1x1s."

When people like your thread instead of sending a message on the thread or through DM.

It just irks me, I’ve actually started ignoring those people. If they want to RP, they’ll see that I didn’t respond to their cookie or heart or whatever, and send me a message.

Well it could be they just like the idea. I mean I certainly wouldn’t assume a like meant someone actually wanted to contact me.

Just that they were saying hey I like your idea.

I mean if they don’t follow up with a message I just take it as they don’t actually want to roleplay but they thought I had some creative plots

Simple solution?
For example, I read lord Iapetus' post and my first thought was "if they're interested they'll make a CS so it'll all be fine" and then my second thought was "oh wait they're talking about 1x1s."

And then for another thing (can't remember what) my first thought was "kick them from the group. The RP can still go on" and then my second thought was "oh wait they're talking about 1x1s."

I love BnHA roleplays as much as the next guy, but it bothers me when everyone immediately goes for generic [element]-kinesis/manipulation quirks for their characters. I know that some people want to focus on other aspects of their character or just don't want to make an entirely new power, but as someone who does enjoy making such powers, I always feel like my characters are super outclassed by others that could drown them, electrocute them, or throw them into low earth orbit without even making eye contact.

Well it could be they just like the idea. I mean I certainly wouldn’t assume a like meant someone actually wanted to contact me.

Just that they were saying hey I like your idea.

I mean if they don’t follow up with a message I just take it as they don’t actually want to roleplay but they thought I had some creative plots

I know that, but 95% of the time when I shoot them a messge, they want to RP. I’m just talking about my experience.

I don’t want to get into a big discussion. It won’t be the end of the world if I ignore them, so it doesn’t bother me much anymore.

I'm a fan of romance, but done well. I've had the vast displeasure of organically playing out love interest storylines that seemed legit at first glance. Only to devolve into me lowkey being someone's stand-in boyfriend. This is why I make my male characters gay, ladies. Then we run into the problem with trite / cliche gay romances, and then I just make an amorphous monster because I can't even.

My intent is to weave stories and explore narratives. Romance, done right, is stellar. Romance with the intent of finding a surrogate partner, is not. This is where Mary Sues come in, and I'm highkey too old for this stuff.

I write extremely problematic (evil, moral gray-area) characters, 90% of the time, and yet there are still people chomping at the bit. Let's leave romance off the table if we can't even make something resembling a story.

This problem has chased me for years. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I get annoyed with partners who's characters dominate the plotting/discussions. If you're in a group or one on one, if someone makes the discussion all about them, I begin to slowly back off. Sure, you could try pushing your ideas and seeing if the other person responds to them but you shouldn't have to fight to get some attention too. I hate selfish writers or ones who aren't at least aware there are other roles in the story aside from their own.

I also get annoyed when you may have tried to start a RP with someone but they ghosted you. And then you see them looking for partners and it's like, well maybe if you didn't keep ghosting people, you'd have people to write with. Just a thought pal. Nothing is more annoying than having a good plot and then someone walks away but then turns around and feels like choosy beggar. But maybe it's for the best that never pans out.

Lastly, I dislike people who stick to one gender. I know it's personal preference and all but it feels so limiting and forces your partner to make up for your own insecurities. Like, if you practice, then you'd improve. Plus I find it more straight forward and refreshing to play my opposite gender but then again, if I am being forced to, I don't want to. Kinda petty, I know. I just hate people who aren't flexible and don't pull their own weight.

Lastly, I dislike people who stick to one gender. I know it's personal preference and all but it feels so limiting and forces your partner to make up for your own insecurities. Like, if you practice, then you'd improve. Plus I find it more straight forward and refreshing to play my opposite gender but then again, if I am being forced to, I don't want to. Kinda petty, I know. I just hate people who aren't flexible and don't pull their own weight.

I really hate being forced to play a certain gender that I probably don't want to. I've done 1x1s where since I'm a girl, I'm assumed to play a girl, and I lose all gusto, momentum, and motivation if I HAVE to do something because someone won't write with me otherwise. Don't want to paint with a broad brush, because it's not often true (but it sometimes is), dudes I've 1x1 RPed with can't handle me playing a boy. Even if it's like a "buddy cop" situation.

I don't get it.

I really hate being forced to play a certain gender that I probably don't want to. I've done 1x1s where since I'm a girl, I'm assumed to play a girl, and I lose all gusto, momentum, and motivation if I HAVE to do something because someone won't write with me otherwise. Don't want to paint with a broad brush, because it's not often true (but it sometimes is), dudes I've 1x1 RPed with can't handle me playing a boy. Even if it's like a "buddy cop" situation.

I don't get it.
Thank you for summarizing everything I hate about 1x1 rps.

For example, I read lord Iapetus' post and my first thought was "if they're interested they'll make a CS so it'll all be fine" and then my second thought was "oh wait they're talking about 1x1s."

And then for another thing (can't remember what) my first thought was "kick them from the group. The RP can still go on" and then my second thought was "oh wait they're talking about 1x1s."

lol ah got it.

I know that, but 95% of the time when I shoot them a messge, they want to RP. I’m just talking about my experience.

I don’t want to get into a big discussion. It won’t be the end of the world if I ignore them, so it doesn’t bother me much anymore.

That is super weird. You gotta to think me how many people were all in their feelings because I ignored them for years.

But yeah if you can’t be arsed to actually use your grown folk words than I’m gonna ignore you.

I could see someone doing that because they may not want to RP the concept but they want to show their support in it? Kind of like on FB where you can like something but not really feel a need to comment. But I can see how getting a like or two but no one offering to RP can be pretty annoying. I think that happens on tumblr too?

Roleplaying isn't about length post or competing about who's the better among us. It's about dwelling within your fantasies and imagination and having fun. Of course portraying your character and interactions are important--but you should try to learn how to have fun too!
So people shouldn't get too hasty or pissed off just because someone's post didn't go the way you wanted. Atleast appreciate their effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back