Roleplay Pet Peeves

I am pretty annoyed when I end up coming up with like a huge part of the lore and plot. Although I love coming up with lore and plotlines and everything I think it is way more fun if the other also comes with ideas of there own. I mean part of the fun of RP is that you come up with a world and plotlines together. Sure sometimes it works when one of the two leads a bit more in some scenes but overall the input should be around 50/50.

The fact that a person decides my role is also a pet-peevee, i often leave people free to choose the character they want to play.

when someone decides that my role has to be completely realistic, i lose the track very easily.. let's face it, i can't pretend to be a living breathing person.

Last edited:
The fact that a person decides my role is also a pet-peevee, i often leave people free to choose the character they want to play.

when someone decides that my role has to be completely realistic, i lose the track very easily.. let's face it, i can't pretend to be a living breathing person.

Well I would hope you wouldn't have to pretend and that you are in fact a living breathing person. I'd hate to think we had robot or a ghost roaming the thread. ;3:

All joking aside I do agree with your first point (premade characters). I mostly do fantasy or superheroes so realism rarely comes up for me.

But when it comes to premade characters, I am fine if it's just a placeholder.

Ex. Character A is the reincarnation of the moon princess, Character B is a moon soldier who has to find the princess.

That's totally fine as it gives us both a starting off point for our characters. I don't even mind if your have a canon preference in a particular pairing .

Ex. Harry Potter is Adopted By Barry Allen ( I'd like to play Harry Potter ).

Because those characters are canons and thus don't belong to either player anyway. So might as well put in your preference.

What pisses me off is when people basically write out an entire character sheet and then just give it to you and tell you the exact character arc your character has to have. Like no. If you have suggestions to make my character fit the narrative fine. But don't write them for me.

Well I would hope you wouldn't have to pretend and that you are in fact a living breathing person. I'd hate to think we had robot or a ghost roaming the thread. ;3:

All joking aside I do agree with your first point (premade characters). I mostly do fantasy or superheroes so realism rarely comes up for me.

But when it comes to premade characters, I am fine if it's just a placeholder.

Ex. Character A is the reincarnation of the moon princess, Character B is a moon soldier who has to find the princess.

That's totally fine as it gives us both a starting off point for our characters. I don't even mind if your have a canon preference in a particular pairing .

Ex. Harry Potter is Adopted By Barry Allen ( I'd like to play Harry Potter ).

Because those characters are canons and thus don't belong to either player anyway. So might as well put in your preference.

What pisses me off is when people basically write out an entire character sheet and then just give it to you and tell you the exact character arc your character has to have. Like no. If you have suggestions to make my character fit the narrative fine. But don't write them for me.

Well, i am rather strict on the fact that i want to respect the real-life person identity, because well, i don't own these people at all,
hovewer, if the real-life play a complete fictionnal character (meaning they doesn't exist at all) then, i'm fine with this, like the movie "who framed Roger Rabbit?" wich is a good exemple of it.

Well, i am rather strict on the fact that i want to respect the real-life person identity, because well, i don't own these people at all,
hovewer, if the real-life play a complete fictionnal character (meaning they doesn't exist at all) then, i'm fine with this, like the movie "who framed Roger Rabbit?" wich is a good exemple of it.

Huh? Roger Rabbit had estabilished characters, it was based on a book. Also it had a lot of established cartoon characters. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Betty Boop but I know there were more.

Also are you talking about real person fiction?

Ex. Person plays the actor Chris Evans

Or are you talking about model face claims?

Ex. Person uses Chris Evans picture for their character

Huh? Roger Rabbit had estabilished characters, it was based on a book. Also it had a lot of established cartoon characters.

Also are you talking about real person fiction?

Ex. Person plays the actor Chris Evans

Or are you talking about model face claims?

Ex. Person uses Chris Evans picture for their character

I know that, the exemple of the thing was to note that, while i don't really accept real-life people, i won't mind them as their fictionnal roles.

just like Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter.

I know that, the exemple of the thing was to note that, while i don't really accept real-life people, i won't mind them as their fictionnal roles.

just like Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter.

I’m so confused, are you saying you don’t use real life face claims? For example you won’t use a picture of Daniel Radcliffe for your character?

Also to be clear the original comment was a joke. ( well the part before theemoji ).

The way you wrote your OP made it seem like you would have to pretend to be a living person as in you yourself are not real. Which was the joke I was making. That your a robot or a ghost pretending to be a real person.

The brunt of the comment was honestly about premade characters. As I though you meant realism in the sense that people wanted you to make characters with realistic skills, personalities. Which as a fantasy/s I finrolepkayer doesn’t come up for me

Last edited:
Let's forget it, and we spam the thread for nothing..

No I mean if that’s your peeve it’s fine. It’s a fairly common one. It’s just the way you wrote your intitial post made it seem like you were talking about realism in the sense of

People want my characters skills/personality to fit the world and for them to act like real people in whatever situation they’re in.

If you meant a purely visual standpoint than the intitial post did not convey that well.

I would say if you don’t like photos of real people being used what you meant was “real person face claims”. A face claim is a photo or piece of art that is used for a visual of your character.

A real person face claim means you are using a real persons image for your character

No I mean if that’s your peeve it’s fine. It’s a fairly common one. It’s just the way you wrote your intitial post made it seem like you were talking about realism in the sense of

People want my characters skills/personality to fit the world and for them to act like real people in whatever situation they’re in.

If you meant a purely visual standpoint than the intitial post did not convey that well.

I would say if you don’t like photos of real people being used what you meant was “real person face claims”. A face claim is a photo or piece of art that is used for a visual of your character.

A real person face claim means you are using a real persons image for your character

Ah ok, well, i'm not into real people face claims, but again, it's just a preference.

Ah ok, well, i'm not into real people face claims, but again, it's just a preference.

Which as I said was fine. I mean my original post was actually about premade characters with a joke about the “pretending” to be a real person. It was just a joke because the way you phrased the original post was funny.

But yeah I’m not saying you can’t have a preference for realistic face claims. It’s a pretty common preference ( I’d say easily half my partners have the same preference )

Just the way you described it initially I thought you meant something else and I was asking for clarification.

And the original post was honestly just me agreeing with you about premade characters

I'm not fond of someone reading my request thread, supposedly, in its entirety telling me they have no problems with anything I have on my list, in fact, they may say we share similar interests but after planning and plotting and getting to the actual roleplay then they'll say for example. "Well, I really only do two sentence replies." or "I didn't know you liked that, I kinda just skimmed your RT." Yeah, no.

I'm not fond of someone reading my request thread, supposedly, in its entirety telling me they have no problems with anything I have on my list, in fact, they may say we share similar interests but after planning and plotting and getting to the actual roleplay then they'll say for example. "Well, I really only do two sentence replies." or "I didn't now you liked that, I kinda just skimmed your RT." Yeah, no.

Henh. Not guilty!

I'm not fond of someone reading my request thread, supposedly, in its entirety telling me they have no problems with anything I have on my list, in fact, they may say we share similar interests but after planning and plotting and getting to the actual roleplay then they'll say for example. "Well, I really only do two sentence replies." or "I didn't know you liked that, I kinda just skimmed your RT." Yeah, no.
I especially hate it when people come to ME regarding my RT and then demand that I change my rules to fit their wants and desires.

I've had people just be all: "You seem cool, but I don't like this about you, so change it for me so we can Rp."

I especially hate it when people come to ME regarding my RT and then demand that I change my rules to fit their wants and desires.

I've had people just be all: "You seem cool, but I don't like this about you, so change it for me so we can Rp."
That right there is immediate grounds for an ignore no response just ignore and leave the message. That's so rude.

The irony is that people who ask for this end up leaving the RP.

While I never demand, I frequently ask GMs of group roleplays to adjust or drop one of their rules/requirements - assuming I admire everything else in their pitch. Sometimes they accommodate me, sometimes they don't. Either way I've never regretted asking.

I am limited to roleplay only on my phone. So the current bane of my existence is when interest checks are in BBCode that isn’t mobile friendly.

One of my pet peeves is when there isn't open communication between you and your rp partner. Especially because that often leads to misunderstandings and anger between rp partners. That's why I like to lay out everything that I expect in an rp and all of my boundaries and make an effort to ask what my partner's expectations and boundaries are as well.

Mmm...I have a few:

- Predetermined shipping. I like having romances develop randomly and organically.

- Pity shipping. Like, when someone I thought was open to shipping with my character over the course of an RP suddenly decides to pursue someone else which is fine with me but then they have to try and force a different character or NPC to ship with mine as compensation I guess? No thanks. Besides, my character may be bothered and sad and hurt because that's IC but I'm personally okay with it OOC.

- WALL OF TEXT! Seriously. I get that not everyone wants fancy coding but you don't need fancy coding knowledge to tap that spacebar to separate paragraphs.

- Edgy OOC. Rarely happens but I hate some people who take this, "I am brutally frank and honest and don't care about safe spaces and who I'll offend" to basically be assholes to people they interact with. Especially when they shit on the player and not just the character.

- Characters that are too...unbelievable? Especially when it stands out in the setting. I've seen a character that was orphaned, lived on the street alone so he's TOUGH, sneaked inside a library, read books about martial arts and using different weapons and that allowed them to become a master assassin like, "yo, that's not how talents and skill acquisition works!" I mean, their character just read and all of a sudden they're good at it? No practice or trial and error? At the age of 14? Come on! I can read and follow cook book recipes fine. Doesn't mean I'm the next Gordon Ramsay or something.

- On another note, characters with trauma conga line backstories. Parents died, orphaned in the street, had to fight gangs to survive, was raped, sibling killed before their eyes etc. It's...a little too much for me. Plus, some people use it to monopolize attention.

- Too much sex and smut. I mean, I'm not comfortable writing intimate scenes so I don't want to go there yet. We can have a romance without writing out 'that' scene right?

- Passive-aggressive OOC.

Too much sex and smut. I mean, I'm not comfortable writing intimate scenes so I don't want to go there yet. We can have a romance without writing out 'that' scene right?
No one here should be asking for smut. If they do, report it ;3

- Too much sex and smut. I mean, I'm not comfortable writing intimate scenes so I don't want to go there yet. We can have a romance without writing out 'that' scene right?

It is recommanded to fade to black or refusing it, but if that can reassure you, i find it....so much weird, the genre itself, the fact that someone want to jump straight into it... too bad that many communities does have that.

I hate one liners. Grinds my gears since I post like at least 2 paragraphs if it's being detailed. I used to be in a rp chat where it was so derailed and everyone either one lined or just didn't care for story. Grrr

When a partner doesn't leave much for my character to react to. Responding to such posts is like writing a "single-player" story. And I rp because I want interaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back