Roleplay Pet Peeves

Ahem, so I came across this a few times, actually scratch that lots of times. Of players actually not allowing villains to do many actions. It wasn't me they told but it just angered me that they weren't allowing the villain to be that evil. He had a plan to capture the children of one of the heroes children yet the player said they needed the child for an arc and as such they said he was not allowed to take them. To which I say let it happen, there is a chance you can get them back and along side that it could raise the stakes and could show how ruthless the villain is with the act of capturing a child. It just angers me when people who play villain are so limited because some players just refuse to allow them to be a villain. In fact a villain that was once threatening just became incompetant due to how restricted they were due to the fact others would not allow him to be a threatening villain.

There was once this situation where a GM got prissy because people weren't answering, and everyone was like "Hold up we can't answer every day because school started", so she deleted the thread along with the whole CSs

And we were like "damn you just deleted our work u mind?"
TRUTH!! I've got a job and a life offline. If I have an active RP going, I will check in/reply as often as I can. Some people live on here and expect everyone else to do the same. I hate when people tantrum or bail on a role play because they don't get immediate replies

Bland ass characters or having too many of the same character in an rp is a HUGE pet peeve.

I mean characters with half-assed cs's or cs's that barely give anything about the character.

Example:

Personality: Nice, but mean when wants to be.

Bio: Joined organization after parents were murdered by bad guys.

Other: Theme: (Some stupid teen love-song)

(Okay, usually they aren't this bad, but you get an idea of what I mean.)

And then there's the issue of having like 6 characters with basically the same personality (Usually either being the really nice girl or the angsty emo teen that avoids people) and 10 characters all having dead parents or families as motivation.

WHERE IS THE DIVERSITY??? THE CREATIVITY??? COME ON, PEOPLE.
This, just this.

Also! i hate it when someone is interested about a RP, but only suggest an outside site or app for a RP, what the point of that? isn't the point of an RPs forum to, well, RP on it?

Last edited:
I can think of many, but I will keep it short
  • Extremely bad grammar (When it's obvious no care has been put into the response)
  • People who act completely out of character to benefit themselves

I have a lot of pet peeves that have already been mentioned, so here are some that I’ve dealt with recently:

- Writers block on my end
- Unnecessary edgy characters
- Responses I can’t respond to
- SELF INSERT OC’S!!!!
- Forced ships/pairings
- The annoying “Woe is Me” character
- People who don’t develop their characters

Last edited:
You know, you roleplay for a long while, and you roleplay with many people, and you usually emphasise the quality of your posts, and stick to normal tests, and normal formatting.
Long posts, short posts, whatever goes for the RP better, the point is, you never really care about anything but the contents. It's easy to read, as it just follows these basic grammar rules, and it's easy to get on with. Like reading a book, or an article. The most you do is using italics to convey a thought, or bold text to make a very 'loud' emphasis.

[class=stuff]
background-size:30%;
background-image:url('https://static.vecteezy.com/system/resources/previews/000/095/588/non_2x/abstract-pattern-background-vector.jpg');
border-radius:75px;
width:55%;
border:20px dashed purple;
margin:20px;
text-align:right;
[/class]

[div class=stuff]

sparkles-gif-17.gif
sparkles-gif-17.gif
AND THERE'S THIS PERSON. WHO KIND OF SHOWS OFF LIKE:
"OO-OO-H, LOOK AT ME, I'M SO SPESHUL!" DOES SOME CRAZY FORMATTING TO ATTRACT ATTENTION, AND STAND OUT. PROBABLY OVERCOMPENSATING FOR THE LACK OF CREATIVITY. ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES ONE COULD PUT INTO FORMATTING - IT'S HERE. GOD KNOWS HOW MUCH 300PX-WIDE BOXES LITTERED WITH BRIGHT-GREEN TEXT I HAVE SEEN AND HATED.
[/div]

You know, you roleplay for a long while, and you roleplay with many people, and you usually emphasise the quality of your posts, and stick to normal tests, and normal formatting.
Long posts, short posts, whatever goes for the RP better, the point is, you never really care about anything but the contents. It's easy to read, as it just follows these basic grammar rules, and it's easy to get on with. Like reading a book, or an article. The most you do is using italics to convey a thought, or bold text to make a very 'loud' emphasis.

[class=stuff]
background-size:30%;
background-image:url('https://static.vecteezy.com/system/resources/previews/000/095/588/non_2x/abstract-pattern-background-vector.jpg');
border-radius:75px;
width:55%;
border:20px dashed purple;
margin:20px;
text-align:right;
[/class]

[div class=stuff]

sparkles-gif-17.gif
sparkles-gif-17.gif
AND THERE'S THIS PERSON. WHO KIND OF SHOWS OFF LIKE:
"OO-OO-H, LOOK AT ME, I'M SO SPESHUL!" DOES SOME CRAZY FORMATTING TO ATTRACT ATTENTION, AND STAND OUT. PROBABLY OVERCOMPENSATING FOR THE LACK OF CREATIVITY. ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES ONE COULD PUT INTO FORMATTING - IT'S HERE. GOD KNOWS HOW MUCH 300PX-WIDE BOXES LITTERED WITH BRIGHT-GREEN TEXT I HAVE SEEN AND HATED.
[/div]
That's actually painfully to look at.

Oh geez. I'm still new here, and I haven't uses many sites where formatting is a huge thing like it seems to be here. I can say, this is a pretty big worry for me.

Current Peeves:

Writer's block on my end of the story makes me so sad lol Just let me continue! And no, its not just something where I can easily push through (seen posts where people want their partner to keep going even if they have said writer's block) because I rather be stuck formulating an excellent reply as compared to the two sentences I forced out.

I really don't get the over the top coding like an above person had shown above. Half the time it doesn't work properly on my phone or the font is extremely hard to read.On another site I frequent, someone had coded with a white background and a pale grey text color. So I turned the site into light mode to see if it only looked like that via dark mode (my personal preference) and nope. Still that weird coding. I could not read it all!

Let's write a story! Plans! First few posts! Annnd then they're just gone. Huh? I get ghosting and being too anxious/some other feeling onto as why...but its a bit sucky when one just ups and disappears only to reappear in someone else's interest check.

And to reiterate what's been said countless times. One liners. ONE LINERS. That's essentially the "k" in texting and as with that kind of message I can't help but wonder in the heck I'm supposed to reply to that.

I have one, imagine if someone want to RP with you on a verse, so both of you share the story for a moment, then suddenly, the person said that they don't know the verse, and that, in the middle of the RP and leave without reasons..

i can excuse the fact that a person don't know the verse, but leaving? seriously? it's not like i will murder the person.

It's also annoying when someone write in text-talk, even in OOC, it's better when the person uses normal words instead of "jk" "brb" "gtg", even in mative language, i would drop it.

Last edited:
I have one, imagine if someone want to RP with you on a verse, so both of you share the story for a moment, then suddenly, the person said that they don't know the verse, and that, in the middle of the RP and leave without reasons..

i can excuse the fact that a person don't know the verse, but leaving? seriously? it's not like i will murder the person.

So to be clear when you say "verse" you mean "a fandom universe" correct? Because verse can also mean poetry and I actually thought you were talking about people being unable to write poems for a poetry based roleplay at first. I think from over all context you mean "fandom universe" not "form of poetry" but I wanted to make sure I got the gist correctly.

Now if you do mean fandom it might have been a case where the individual thought they had enough information on the fandom to do a roleplay. But as the story progressed they realized that wasn't the case and didn't want to admit it for some reason. Maybe they were embarrassed or thought you would be angry. As sadly a lot of people do get angry when things don't go exactly their way ( example below ). And sometimes people are so tired of being harrassed ( or just plain shy ) that they prefer to skip the drama altogether by ghosting.

Also I might check to see if the person is even online at all. Sometimes when people leave it's because of real life stuff off the computer and they come back when that's settled

Example Of Angry Partner
So I tried to start a roleplay from an obscure fandom ( Tamora Pierce - Emelan Series ). I made it super easy by just taking the magic system from the original series and putting it in the modern day. And I not only wrote out descriptions for the magic system but linked examples from the text via wikis.

And things are going okay until it gets to character creation. The person kept making characters that didn't fit into the world and would get annoyed when I made suggestions for getting them to fit with the story / world.

Finally I got tired of arguing with them and decided to leave gracefully. I was like I'm sorry this isn't working but I wish you luck.

Well they couldn't leave well enough alone and accused me of being overly controlling and trying to force them to play a canon role. And I'm like why would I ask you to play a canon you've never heard of? I'm just explaining how the magic works.

And so on until it ended in this kind of icy silence with us both going our seperate ways.

So yeah sometimes people do get angry for no reason at all and it can be intimidating. I'm in my 30s and honestly don't really care if I piss people off or make them upset. I will try not to but if a fight happens it doesn't ruin my day. Not everyone is old enough or secure enough to handle conflicts that well.

For those people the possibility of a fight is too intimidating so they avoid it by just leaving.

I should note that the girl I was roleplaying with had seemed very easy going and calm up until the point where she started accusing me of being overbearing. So it's not like you can tell just by how someone acts when things are going their way how they'll take rejection.

I have to say a lot of things can get on my nerves when it comes to rp (maybe because I tend to rp at 1 am with half a brain and two and a half cups of grumpy in my system) But here are my main ones- (disclaimer i'm not saying you are wrong for doing anything I list here, just stating I don't enjoy it! I don't hate anyone for doing these things!!)
  • Characters who are "forced" to be good
Multiple times I've had a character, be it one I pick from my partner's starter or one in mmine that my partner picks, who is ment to be undesirable. Sometimes to provide a starting point for character progression, sometimes for story, other times just to be the villain. And usually it goes well, but sometimes, my partner will...provide situations in which they almost have to come out looking like a good person. I guess it really just boils down to "having a character do a drastic, seemingly out of character change."
  • Marry sue's/John Doe's
Basically any character created to be perfect. Unless they are made that way to be like, a counter character to a terrible character, a good example would be an angel and demon character pairing. But in general I find it sort of dull. I love character interaction in roleplays, I feel like that is one of its strongest and most fun elements. But when you have a perfect character, generally there isn't much depth to them, and their interactions follow a similar pattern.
  • A partner who doesn't tell me their opinions
Often the most frustrating thing for me, Not telling me when you don't like something I am doing, will almost always have a negative effect on our relationship as roleplayers and the rp itself. So many times me and someone else will brainstorm, write starters, and jump into a roleplay, only to find out twenty minutes in that the other person is getting writers block and "really didn't enjoy the idea to begin with." which should speak for itself as to how unproductive and frustrating it is. But other then that, I've had times where people stop replying to me for a week, until finally reappearing and declaring a list of things they didn't like about my roleplays or style, only to have them astonished when I actually listen and take what they say seriously. I can't account or tell you how to take criticism, constructive or otherwise, especially when it comes to rp, I know people take it tons of different ways (which in hindsight might be why so many people are slow or worried about handing it out) But IIIIII love it, so long as it is civil, and you don't expect me to do or incorporate everything you tell me. I feel like it is vital to be open and honest in order to have a fun experience.

So I do have a question on what a starter is?

Based on the Character Is Forced To Be Good paragraph I assumed it was like some kind of pack of characters that you pick from to roleplay. Which I had intended to ask you about as I had never heard of such a thing.

But then in a partner doesn't share their opinions you used it again in the context of an introduction to a roleplay, which is a definition I'm a little more familiar with. But this brings me back to the Character Is Forced To Be Good. As assuming you always meant for it to be "starter = introduction" I'm not sure how you can pick a character from that?

I mean it's a bit of a side tangent but I honestly got confused reading it on what you were talking about.

Last edited:
  • Marry sue's/John Doe's
Basically any character created to be perfect. Unless they are made that way to be like, a counter character to a terrible character, a good example would be an angel and demon character pairing. But in general I find it sort of dull. I love character interaction in roleplays, I feel like that is one of its strongest and most fun elements. But when you have a perfect character, generally there isn't much depth to them, and their interactions follow a similar pattern.

That's true, when they can do anything or doesn't struggle with something at all, it is hard to continue a story.

So I do have a question on what a starter is?

Based on the Character Is Forced To Be Good paragraph I assumed it was like some kind of pack of characters that you pick from to roleplay. Which I had intended to ask you about as I had never heard of such a thing.

But then in a partner doesn't share their opinions you used it again in the context of an introduction to a roleplay, which is a definition I'm a little more familiar with. But this brings me back to the Character Is Forced To Be Good. As assuming you always meant for it to be "starter = introduction" I'm not sure how you can pick a character from that?

I mean it's a bit of a side tangent but I honestly got confused reading it on what you were talking about.

oh my bad! I forget that all rp communities don't share the same slang, or method of roleplaying for that matter

When I say starter I am referring, generally, an introduction that is ment to be immediately replied to. Like an explanation of the story/setting and a starting point for the roleplay itself. It is usually designed to have two or three characters to choose from, and has some sort of direction for each of them.

oh my bad! I forget that all rp communities don't share the same slang, or method of roleplaying for that matter

When I say starter I am referring, generally, an introduction that is ment to be immediately replied to. Like an explanation of the story/setting and a starting point for the roleplay itself. It is usually designed to have two or three characters to choose from, and has some sort of direction for each of them.

So kinda like an prompt based interest check? Only you actually respond in thread rather than making a new one

Plot : Long Ago there was a society of people called Weavers. They were individuals born with the ability to see and manipulate the very strands of reality itself. One day a great darkness came and destroyed the Weaver society. Only two of their rulers remained, Dreadnaught and Farseer, they had the ability to see death and time respectively. These two went on a great journey across the galaxy to reincarnate the Weaver Society. In time they found a trio of individuals that would take their place and become the new Trinity.

Roles To Play :
New Dreadnaught : can see the memories/ghosts of dead people, can sense murderous intent, has dog companion.
New Farseer : has ability to see possibilities when napping/asleep, can manipulate "luck", tends to be lazy/absentminded
New Heartlight : replaces third member of Trinity, has empathy, can cleanse wickedness from hearts.

Story Options :
New Dreadnaught and Farseer must track down new Hearlight.
New Trinity must contend with the awakening of evil that destroyed Weavers

That's a rough outline but it's what you're meaning by starter yes?

When a persons username is the one they give their character. It makes it so obvious that it's a self insert.

As someone who has done that, I'd just like to point out that the username itself may have come from an OC, which they are using on an RP. Obviously I can't speak for all the other people out there, but one of my characters has his surname being Beundo, and I only felt that it was fitting to use a character's name as an username in an RP forums. And while my writing probably was a little bad considering that was the first ever forum RP I joined he was definitely not a self-insert.

So kinda like an prompt based interest check? Only you actually respond in thread rather than making a new one

Plot : Long Ago there was a society of people called Weavers. They were individuals born with the ability to see and manipulate the very strands of reality itself. One day a great darkness came and destroyed the Weaver society. Only two of their rulers remained, Dreadnaught and Farseer, they had the ability to see death and time respectively. These two went on a great journey across the galaxy to reincarnate the Weaver Society. In time they found a trio of individuals that would take their place and become the new Trinity.

Roles To Play :
New Dreadnaught : can see the memories/ghosts of dead people, can sense murderous intent, has dog companion.
New Farseer : has ability to see possibilities when napping/asleep, can manipulate "luck", tends to be lazy/absentminded
New Heartlight : replaces third member of Trinity, has empathy, can cleanse wickedness from hearts.

Story Options :
New Dreadnaught and Farseer must track down new Hearlight.
New Trinity must contend with the awakening of evil that destroyed Weavers

That's a rough outline but it's what you're meaning by starter yes?

not so spelled out. mash all of those things together in one long paragraph and you have a starter

When people make really young characters, unnaturally tall. I am not joking when I recall being in a RP where someone made a 7ft tall, 14 year old... like.. what the actual fuck?

What is wrong with the people making characters that are tall for the sake of having a tall character -_-

I just don't get the appeal... I don't understand why people think it's awesome or important to look like a basketball player; tall and sticklike.

Last edited:
When people make really young characters, unnaturally tall. I am not joking when I recall being in a RP where someone made a 7ft tall, 14 year old... like.. what the actual fuck?

What is wrong with the people making characters that are tall for the sake of having a tall character -_-

I just don't get the appeal... I don't understand why people think it's awesome or important to look like a basketball player; tall and sticklike.

So the classy interpretation is they are simply unaware of the height/weight ratio of actual humans.

Also possibly they are fourteen and they think being seven feet would be cool and again they don’t understand height to weight ratios of real humans.

Sadly more likely answer? Fetish.

Apparently giant and miniature fetish is SUPER COMMON. I could not begin to tell you why.

not so spelled out. mash all of those things together in one long paragraph and you have a starter

Interesting do you do this in place of an interest check? Like you just post that in the relevant forum and hope someone responds ?

Kinda off topic I know but I have seen people post in the wrong forums before. Never bothered me hugely but now I’m wondering if they were just doing the starter thing.

—————-

On topic and tangentially related personally drives me up a wall when people post in the wrong thread for roleplays. Like they put OOC info in the IC thread or Character Sheets in the OOC.

Like I clearly label all relevant threads for a reason.

I mean it doesn’t like ruin the roleplay but it does peeve me. Cuz I like to keep things organized.

I have a lot of pet peeves that have already been mentioned, so here are some that I’ve dealt with recently:

- Writers block
- Unnecessary edgy characters
- Responses I can’t respond to
- SELF INSERT OC’S!!!!
- Forced ships/pairings
- The annoying “Woe is Me” character
- People who don’t develop their characters

As someone who had dealt with self-insert OCs, i can tell that it was a real nightmare,
about the forced shipping, on some sites, i could play as an anime character, but suddenly, i got friends requests, so i accept,
then, i get forced into shipping without real explanations, some of the people who did that did not respect the universe, and forced it on a way that get disturbing.

on most universes, the characters were not in love at all, they were either friends or comrades, so i don't get the assumption that two guys being friends = couple (same with girls), it's called friendship or partnership.

I played Zoro from One Piece, i tried to stay to the verse (even if my knowledge isn't big), the requests never mentionned shipping nor yaoi at all (besides, i hate yaoi), the lack of honestly did turn me away eventually, but i'm sure that some days, i can play as an anime character without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back