Roleplay Pet Peeves

Exactly my point.
And honestly that quote wasn't that sexist. Okay, it was a little bit rude, but nothing really terrible. Men are naturally stronger than women. I certainly would not be able to lift something that's 150 pounds, but I know that my brother could.

And honestly that quote wasn't that sexist. Okay, it was a little bit rude, but nothing really terrible. Men are naturally stronger than women. I certainly would not be able to lift something that's 150 pounds, but I know that my brother could.

Facts are facts.

And what happened was that they sent me the OOC message that basically said “Hey, your character said something sexist.”

Me: “I know. He’s sexist.”

Them: ”Can you change it?”

Me: “No. A change would be out of character.”

Then we had an argument, and I had to go more into detail why I would change it, which I don’t mind doing.

Then they called me sexist, because I wouldn’t change the sentence. After that, my respect went out the window, and I was rude back. I basically called them an idiot for thinking that what I said in character was how I was out of character.

Was I rude? Yes. But I don’t regret what I did, there are some things I don’t change, and if they make my character go out of character, then I won’t change them.

Honestly, it's the first time i hear about "simple RPs".

They are a part of what used to be the tag system on this site. You would tag your roleplays as Simple, Detailed, or Casual to indicate where on the scale they fell. The tags are no longer available with the new update but the definitions remain in use.

Simple is not typically called that specifically it's just more present in roleplays that don't really require you to put any effort into things and are just fun back and forth exchanges between groups of people.

But as I said casual tends to mean well-written or at least readable but not detailed.

Detailed means a roleplay where your putting a substantial effort into writing, world building, etc.

They are a part of what used to be the tag system on this site. You would tag your roleplays as Simple, Detailed, or Casual to indicate where on the scale they fell. The tags are no longer available with the new update but the definitions remain in use.

Simple is not typically called that specifically it's just more present in roleplays that don't really require you to put any effort into things and are just fun back and forth exchanges between groups of people.

But as I said casual tends to mean well-written or at least readable but not detailed.

Detailed means a roleplay where your putting a substantial effort into writing, world building, etc.

Ah ok, never seen this term really, besides, i don't feel the need to separate my RPs by definitions..
again, not my thing at all ^^'

if i started to call myself professionnal or whatever, damn, earth would be damned..

Last edited:
Facts are facts.

And what happened was that they sent me the OOC message that basically said “Hey, your character said something sexist.”

Then we had an argument, and I had to go more into detail why I would change it, which I don’t mind doing.

Then they called me sexist, because I wouldn’t change the sentence. After that, my respect went out the window, and I was rude back. I basically called them an idiot for thinking that what I said in character was how I was out of character.

Was I rude? Yes. But I don’t regret what I did, there are some things I don’t change, and if they make my character go out of character, then I won’t change them.
It sounds rude, but honestly, in that situation, I'd probably be rude, too. There's nothing wrong with writing a sexist character. It sounds like that could be really interesting.

Ah ok, never seen this term really, besides, i don't feel the need to separate my RPs by definitions..
again, not my thing at all ^^'

if i started to call myself professionnal or whatever, damn, earth would be damned..

lol it's an organizational tool for the greater community. it was used to help people search for new roleplays. as you could just search specifically through detailed or simple or whatever and not have to worry about the other kinds.

mind this was in groups. in 1x1s there was never any tag although people will still usually indicate : Hey please be detailed and write XX paragraphs OR use proper grammar OR whatever.

It sounds rude, but honestly, in that situation, I'd probably be rude, too. There's nothing wrong with writing a sexist character. It sounds like that could be really interesting.
It was very interesting, to see people from that point of view, there were times were I despised my character for being so backward, but I stuck with it.

I think it helped me grow as a writer. I want to play against one eventually.

lol it's an organizational tool for the greater community. it was used to help people search for new roleplays. as you could just search specifically through detailed or simple or whatever and not have to worry about the other kinds.

mind this was in groups. in 1x1s there was never any tag although people will still usually indicate : Hey please be detailed and write XX paragraphs OR use proper grammar OR whatever.

no but, i wouldn't like to be limited at all in the lines, in the spelling, that's what really repulses me... Looks more like a burden than a RP..

Honestly, unless if there is a real reason, i wouldn't put a foot in that kind of request, being restricted remove the motivation, the fun, anything..

I don't like to feel like i am judged by some kind of jury, i just like to do things at my pace, no matter if a person like it or not.

Last edited:
It was very interesting, to see people from that point of view, there were times were I despised my character for being so backward, but I stuck with it.

I think it helped me grow as a writer. I want to play against one eventually.
I understand entirely. I have a character who hates a woman who is a prostitute, because she is from the 1700's. It doesn't mean that I approve of slut shaming.

FlyingDemon FlyingDemon

Well it's not about judgement so much as again an organizational tool. It's a way to let people know what you expect of them in terms of roleplay participation.

If you don't want to write multiple paragraphs, do world building, or contribute to the plot than it's good for you to know what detailed means. That way when you see a roleplay with that term ( or with requests for long posts, world building help, etc. ) than you know these are not roleplays for you.

By the same token if you put - I'm a casual roleplayer who doesn't like to write long posts and sort of go with the flow than more detailed roleplayers know that you're not the partner for them.

FlyingDemon FlyingDemon

Well it's not about judgement so much as again an organizational tool. It's a way to let people know what you expect of them in terms of roleplay participation.

If you don't want to write multiple paragraphs, do world building, or contribute to the plot than it's good for you to know what detailed means. That way when you see a roleplay with that term ( or with requests for long posts, world building help, etc. ) than you know these are not roleplays for you.

By the same token if you put - I'm a casual roleplayer who doesn't like to write long posts and sort of go with the flow than more detailed roleplayers know that you're not the partner for them.

I stopped to go "with the flow" since, well, i wasn't welcome anywhere, and honestly, i do RPs for imagination, laughs, not for showing how "incredible professionnal" a person is..
i hate the detailled idiocy, yes, i would hate to reject people based on their lenghts and whatever, i can tell you that few years ago, neither me or my friends cared for that crap.

Today, it hasn't changed at all, i still don't care about it at all, it's the most un-important thing in the whole RPing thing.

My dash used to be full of "lack of professionnalism drama", so i'm just telling that i won't care, people do at their pace as long they respect each-other choices, simple, guess i didn't choose the right people before, but no matter where i go, my mind won't change. A difference of lenghts is the most innoffensive stuff in a RP, what i care about, is what the person said, if they don't cross the lines.

i also wrote all of that based on my deep exhausting tired side from re-explaining every time why i can't match someone else lenghts.

so yes, respect should be first, but that's just me..

Last edited:
Facts are facts.

That's so annoying. The fun part of roleplay is not knowing what your partner's character will say or do. The fact that you stood by the personality of your character I have to give you respect and for handling the situation the best you could.

That's so annoying. The fun part of roleplay is not knowing what your partner's character will say or do. The fact that you stood by the personality of your character I have to give you respect and for handling the situation the best you could.
Thank you, that means a lot.

I stopped to go "with the flow" since, well, i wasn't welcome anywhere, and honestly, i do RPs for imagination, laughs, not for showing how "incredible professionnal" a person is..

i hate the detailled idiocy, yes, i would hate to reject people based on their lenghts and whatever, i can tell you that few years ago, neither me or my friends cared for that crap.

Today, it hasn't changed at all, i still don't care about it at all, it's the most un-important thing in the whole RPing thing.

And I think you are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. This isn't about people being "professional" or trying to tear down other people for the way they like to roleplay.

It's just some people enjoy different things to you. Like some people have a different favorite color. If I said my favorite color was blue and you said your favorite color was purple. That's not me saying purple is bad. Or that blue is a "professional" color. Only hey I like blue more than purple and that's fine.

People all have different requirements to enjoying roleplays. Some people like short replies and some people like long replies. That doesn't mean that one type of reply is "more professional". Again it's just saying : I like this kind of reply more than that one. Like I like this color more than that one.

So yeah you might not care about roleplay lengths or anything else. That's fine. But that doesn't mean that people who disagree with you are trying to be mean or nasty. It doesn't mean they're trying to be "more professional" or anything like that. It just means that they have different favorite things.

And I think you are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. This isn't about people being "professional" or trying to tear down other people for the way they like to roleplay.

It's just some people enjoy different things to you. Like some people have a different favorite color. If I said my favorite color was blue and you said your favorite color was purple. That's not me saying purple is bad. Or that blue is a "professional" color. Only hey I like blue more than purple and that's fine.

People all have different requirements to enjoying roleplays. Some people like short replies and some people like long replies. That doesn't mean that one type of reply is "more professional". Again it's just saying : I like this kind of reply more than that one. Like I like this color more than that one.

So yeah you might not care about roleplay lengths or anything else. That's fine. But that doesn't mean that people who disagree with you are trying to be mean or nasty. It doesn't mean they're trying to be "more professional" or anything like that. It just means that they have different favorite things.
Ok then, i was just saying a thing that bothered me so much, it's okay if they have a different thing or whatever, i get tired of reading a lot of drama about "lack of professionnalism" so, that's why i'm pissed about this subject.

Ok then, i was just saying a thing that bothered me so much, it's okay if they have a different thing or whatever, i get tired of reading a lot of drama about "lack of professionnalism" so, that's why i'm pissed about this subject.

And my point was I was talking about something totally unrelated. What your talking about is elitism. What I was talking about was an organizational tag system. The two have nothing to do with one another.

Like people who talk about lack of professionalism are usually thoroughly up their own ass. They are more focused on tearing people down than enjoying a hobby.

Which again has nothing to do with the tag system or just general preferences which is what I was talking about.

And my point was I was talking about something totally unrelated. What your talking about is elitism. What I was talking about was an organizational tag system. The two have nothing to do with one another.

Like people who talk about lack of professionalism are usually thoroughly up their own ass. They are more focused on tearing people down than enjoying a hobby.

Which again has nothing to do with the tag system or just general preferences which is what I was talking about.
Ok sorry, i was carried away and really exhausted.

Ok sorry, i was carried away and really exhausted.

Not at all I know I've been on sites where people spent more time tearing anyone "lesser" down than actually roleplaying and it sucked. Like I'm not here to write the next great american novel for heaven's sake. I'm just here to have a bit of fun.

But yeah the casual/detailed/simple thing isn't about that.

Think of it like indicating an interest in the title of your search.

Ex. Looking for Anime RPs OR Harry Potter Group Roleplay

They're more designed to let people know what your looking for than anything else.

So if for instance I put : Detailed Magic Zoo RP

Than people know that I want to do a roleplay about a magic zoo with longer posts and a lot of world building.

Not at all I know I've been on sites where people spent more time tearing anyone "lesser" down than actually roleplaying and it sucked. Like I'm not here to write the next great american novel for heaven's sake. I'm just here to have a bit of fun.

But yeah the casual/detailed/simple thing isn't about that.

Think of it like indicating an interest in the title of your search.

Ex. Looking for Anime RPs OR Harry Potter Group Roleplay

They're more designed to let people know what your looking for than anything else.

So if for instance I put : Detailed Magic Zoo RP

Than people know that I want to do a roleplay about a magic zoo with longer posts and a lot of world building.
I'm not here for writting novels either, but it's exhausting to explain everything every time..
also just saying, but i don't plan on making a future RP thread at all.

I'm not here for writting novels either, but it's exhausting to explain everything every time..
also just saying, but i don't plan on making a future RP thread at all.

lol that's an example of what detailed means is all. i am not saying

A. I'm actually looking for a detailed roleplay

B. all roleplays are detailed

C. you have to only join detailed roleplays

I'm just giving you an example of detailed used in context.

Facts are facts.

KUDOS TO YOU FOR STANDING BY YOUR CHARACTER!
Ahem....
But seriously. I've been told to change my character before as well and when I refused; my characters were declared by them to be "Hypocritical and Stupid"
For people like that, I think they (incoming personal opinion) can't separate oneself from character. Its one thing to NOT like what the other person's character has said/done/morals but an entirely different matter for you want them to change their entire personality to cater to what you like (aka deem fit).

---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back