Roleplay Pet Peeves

Necessity4Fun Necessity4Fun
basically
yeah depression makes you a blank slate of white noise and you can't get out of bed and nothing is fun or enjoyable (or sad or anything) anymore but sure
sure buddy
your one dimensional character needed developing and you're feeling lazy
Exactly, and it's very very scary...
You desperately want to feel something, sadness, pain, anything! Anything that can remind you that you're in fact alive. But nothing does... Nothing is engaging, nothing is helping and you just fall deeper and deeper into this overwhelming feeling of emptiness. Can you even say that you're alive at this point?

I've had people post-breakups and the like to tell me that they would like the pain to stop, to not feel anything anymore. I tell them they're wrong. Not feeling anything is far times worse than being in pain, at least you're feeling something and you can reassure yourself that no matter how long it takes, it will pass.
This gigantic existential void I have, consuming either positive and negative experiences, leaving nothing but an empty shell behind? I... I am not so sure... It feels like being trapped in a cycle which will always fall back into the nothing. Everything seems pointless and inevitable.

It is not fun and I would never wish it on anyone...

also when the creator of a roleplay gives you a deadline (what is this high school??) to complete your character form and then.....

doesnt start the roleplay???/?
I've never had deadlines before, but I definitely dislike when a roleplay I showed interest in, and the GM said it would happen, doesn't in fact start... And I was sooo hyped for it too! >~<
I know life gets busy and such, but at least let us know that you're not going to be able to run it. Don't just disappear out of the face of Earth, never to be heard of again...

PEOPLE WHO DON'T PROOFREAD THEIR POSTS.

The difference is glaringly obvious between those of you who read your posts over once or twice and those of you who hit reply right away and never look back.
this feels like a personal attack olol
just kidding, i never proofread bc i cringe at my own writing

fuCKING DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITY DISORDER

i cant take it anymore

if you can't do the fucking research don't do it at all

good point. when you have two or more personalities you are fully in control of and are completely aware of the actions done by the other personalities, it isn't dissociative identity disorder anymore. it becomes an attempt to milk sympathy and seek exclusion from the punishments for potentially illegal actions your character performed and is aware of by shifting the blame. in fact, don't make your character a friggin serial killer either. we have too many of those. how about you go for a faerie if you want creep factor?

to Explain how Faerie Creep Factor Works, you take a higher tier faerie that can pass for human, and make it resemble a cute little girl, then you intentionally embody all the stereotypes of little girl characters found in anime to come across as being cute and innocent by means of deception. you maintain a constantly cheery persona, and you be as bubbly as possible, and despite appearing to be completely harmless. you slit peoples throats in their sleep and play the role of the cheerful innocent obvious stalker little sister.

sure, you still murder people, if you want that to be a thing. but you don't know better, you are literally a stalker that physically cannot stay dead whom wants to bring happiness to those she is obsessed with. in fact, a Seelie Nymph or Seelie Sidhe can do this quite well. because you are literal happiness incarnate. being the perfect ball of sunshine will creep anybody out.

this feels like a personal attack olol
just kidding, i never proofread bc i cringe at my own writing

I've never rped with you, so it can't be that personal.

I find the trick is to just do it. Sounds stupid I know, but like my running friend says even if you come in last you still beat the people at home on the couch.

I've never rped with you, so it can't be that personal.

I find the trick is to just do it. Sounds stupid I know, but like my running friend says even if you come in last you still beat the people at home on the couch.
oh it was a joke. it's just something i do all the time because, again, i hate reading my own replies so proofreading is something i rarely do.

...it only bites me in the ass a few times... haha.

Poofing. I know my englishisn't that good, but when people just poof without explanation after my first/nth post I just can't avoid thinking I'm the real problem. If my english is the problem, just say it and go, don't poof out of nowhere.

Mental illnesses not being portrayed correctly and just being used an excuse to make your character edgy/trying to wring sympathy out of other characters is a no from me. I have a lot of characters who do have various mental illnesses and I always make sure to portray them as accurately as I possibly can. It makes your character that much more interesting when you document how they grapple (or don't deal with) this sort of stuff, and how it affects them and their relationships with others.

Also, people not abiding by the rules of the universe their characters are set in.

Mental illnesses not being portrayed correctly and just being used an excuse to make your character edgy/trying to wring sympathy out of other characters is a no from me. I have a lot of characters who do have various mental illnesses and I always make sure to portray them as accurately as I possibly can. It makes your character that much more interesting when you document how they grapple (or don't deal with) this sort of stuff, and how it affects them and their relationships with others.

Also, people not abiding by the rules of the universe their characters are set in.
That's the worst. I also hate seeing the mental illness portrayed as somethings that's cool, fun and unique.

Last edited:
the feel when anxiety is just thrown in there to make their character 'adorable' and 'endearing' *eye twitches* ah yes. my favourite thing...

._________________________.
I've only had one character with a mental illness, and that one was anxiety. But I tried to portray it as accurately as I could (even being someone with anxiety, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right). I hate it when people think anxiety is just 'here's me panicking about this minor thing! Look how cute I am!!'

I've only had one character with a mental illness, and that one was anxiety. But I tried to portray it as accurately as I could (even being someone with anxiety, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right). I hate it when people think anxiety is just 'here's me panicking about this minor thing! Look how cute I am!!'
latest

Pre-made characters and restricting structured plot.

I like the idea of a GM opening space for the role he wants to be in the RP, but when he also determine the character personality and background, which would indirectly keep the plot in a way that he wishes as said character with established personality and background would only react that way...

Nope. It's too much like writing a story. Give the players room to influence the plot.

Characters that never show any flaws to them. What makes a character a good character is when there are good and bad things about them. That makes them appear more like a person and not just some Jesus-Kun self insert. With flaws, that allows characters to progress themselves, and benefit from one another through co-operation to essentially ‘fill the holes’.

"OH, OH, MY CHARACTER MANAGED TO MASTER ALL MARTIAL ARTS AND WEAPONS JUST BY READING BECAUSE OF HIS EDGY BACKSTORY!!1!1"

God, how many times have I dealt with this problem on an old roleplaying site? Another pet peeve is when a player has their character act EXTREMELY contrary to what they wrote on the character sheet. If your character is supposed to be "calm, collected, and can handle pressure" then you don't go being "okay fine!!! let's just break up the group because nobody likes it!!11!" like an immature kid when you're faced with conflict.

BONUS: Just a nitpick of mine, but if you describe your character as "weird", make them weird. The idea is to get people to say, "Oh, they're weird," not "Oh, they're adorable!!!!1!".

i knew a friend whose D&D character charmed Hydras as housepets because she thought Hydras were adorable. she was a high level spellcaster with dominate person and permanency. she tried to be a creepy and awkward character but i found her to be adorable. but a lot of the time, i play a character with the intent for them to be adorable. but people find them annoying.

i knew a friend whose D&D character charmed Hydras as housepets because she thought Hydras were adorable. she was a high level spellcaster with dominate person and permanency. she tried to be a creepy and awkward character but i found her to be adorable. but a lot of the time, i play a character with the intent for them to be adorable. but people find them annoying.

Which is why you should never try to play a character with a subjective trait. I mean you can find someone/something [insert adjective here ] it doesn’t follow that other people or their characters will.

It’s a common Sue failing but if done with self awareness can actually make for a nice bit of character development.

The thing to remember is all the descriptors your using are how the CHARACTER perceives themselves ( either consciously or subconsciously ) and that your character does not have to be a reliable narrator. Meaning the world / other characters don’t have to see your characters how they precieve themselves.

It actually makes for a more interesting read.

Plus no one likes when a player tries to force their singular vision of their character down everyone else’s throat ( not accusing you of this just speaking to a general fact )

When people use clumsiness or lack of intelligence as a cute trait like- ITS EMBARRASSING I always make one of my characters clumsy, but not in the cute way. In the way that they once burned their shoulder bc they were dumb and decided to lean against a burning stove. It’s a smaller pet peeve of mine but it’s still there

Probably when people use sexual trauma or mental illness to add what they think is depth to a character.

I totally think that it is possible to write difficult characters or characters with extremely difficult pasts, however, that requires a lot of thinking, a lot of research, and a lot of very good writing. In short, I think it's possible to do, but I don't think most people should attempt it, especially not in the context of most RPs.

When fandom rps stray too much from established rules.

I get you are allowed a bit of artistic license, but if you're gonna change fundamental rules about how that universe works, you might as well just make up your own.

When people use clumsiness or lack of intelligence as a cute trait like- ITS EMBARRASSING I always make one of my characters clumsy, but not in the cute way. In the way that they once burned their shoulder bc they were dumb and decided to lean against a burning stove. It’s a smaller pet peeve of mine but it’s still there
Oh, this is another huge pet peeve of mine. It's honestly something that just gets on my last nerve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back