Roleplay Pet Peeves

If that doesn't satisfy you eager beavers, open a new thread in the general discussion forum.

But, why not, I ask, in this precious little thread? Which has held itself since time immemorial, and serves as a shining paragon of the threads of destiny? A debate should aspire to bask in this glorious roof's treasured valour!

I've yet to receive a PM, we can either discuss it here or not at all. If you had no intention of discussing why post at all?
If you want to hear my conclusions then it's your responsibility to pm me. Alternatively you can open up a new (appropriate) thread for this topic elsewhere. This thread is for roleplay pet peeves and I suspect most would agree we've veered off course.

If you want to hear my conclusions then it's your responsibility to pm me. Alternatively you can open up a new (appropriate) thread for this topic elsewhere. This thread is for roleplay pet peeves and I suspect most would agree we've veered off course.

And, how so? For one, I believe, has yet to shadow this back-and-forth squabble.

You've derailed the topic sir, I asked to discuss in a discussion thread. We'd be discussing the pet peeve, obviously of definitions, or roleplay form.

You've derailed the topic sir, I asked to discuss in a discussion thread. We'd be discussing the pet peeve, obviously of definitions, or roleplay form.

Discussing the pet peeve? Roleplay form? I'm sorry, I can no longer follow whatever it is you're trying to say.

Discussing the pet peeve? Roleplay form? I'm sorry, I can no longer follow whatever it is you're trying to say.
Well we were on the topic of pet peeves. One of them being that people treat others differently based on the standard of literacy. The discussion became about the definition of certain words. Evolving into a more in-depth and educational conversation, for both myself and the other party involved. At the end of the conversation, which we were discussing the term you replied with, you replied... I'm assuming to push a point or agenda about the topic that had been previously discussed. I replied with a paraphrased version of what we had discussed and at that point you derailed the discussion by choosing not to reply to my query.

But regardless as it stands the basics of the conversation went like this:

illiterate/illiteracy: The inability to read or write; Synonym: Ungrammatical
literate/literacy: The ability to read or write; Synonym: Grammatical
Ability: talent, skill, or proficiency in a particular area

However rae2nerdy rae2nerdy mentioned that the original point was more about the behavior or attitude, but because I misunderstood the point we were lead into a journey of definitions. Bone2pick Bone2pick unless I missed the point you wanted to discuss the meaning of literacy/illiterate again? Otherwise I don't see the intent to discuss

I replied with a paraphrased version of what we had discussed and at that point you derailed the discussion by choosing not to reply to my query.

I disagree that choosing to move a semantic argument out of the pet peeves' thread could be considered derailing it. The desire to move the discussion out is, quite obviously, a desire to not derail this thread. By the way, aren't we (you included) derailing this thread by engaging in this conversation recap?

Last edited:
I disagree that choosing to move a semantic argument out of the pet peeves thread could be considered derailing it. The desire to move the discussion out is, quite obviously, a desire to not derail this thread. By the way, aren't we (you included) derailing this thread by engaging in this conversation recap?
Yep. Discussions are not made of just arguments. We are in the discussions thread and the creator has yet to step in and ask us to stop talking about this. Aside from that the more we reply to this thread the longer it stays at the top of the discussion board, gaining more traction and opening up more opportunities for other discussions. So I don't think it's entirely inappropriate that we discuss semantics here. Although this topic has been discussed quite thoroughly and because there's no other information given about the definitions I've listed my view point will remain the same. I simply replied to your copy paste expecting a fruitful discussion.

In any case it seems you don't wish to discuss the topic so I'll take my leave until someone says something I'd like to reply too. Bone2pick Bone2pick

Now, I'm fine with just typing a paragraph or even just two-three sentences in roleplays even though I typically go with two-three paragraphs, as that usually is the case if everyone makes short replies. But if everyone types so little and not enough to respond to that I have to resort to ONE-LINERS or stuff it to the brim with fluff just to respond, we've got a problem.

My absolute biggest peeve is people who can't differ roleplay from reality and think their characters are them. I always nope the hell away whenever I get that vibe from someone.

Another one of my biggest peeves is people who go, "Yeah sure, I'll reply to you today!" and then... don't do it. Don't tell me you will reply, if you're not going to. I sit up and wait for that reply. I expect that reply when you tell me I should expect it. Please just say that you will reply when you have time if you're not sure when you can reply. Life happens man, I'd rather people be honest with me than make me expect something that isn't coming.

Last edited:
Now, I'm fine with just typing a paragraph or even just two-three sentences in roleplays even though I typically go with two-three paragraphs, as that usually is the case if everyone makes short replies. But if everyone types so little and not enough to respond to that I have to resort to ONE-LINERS or stuff it to the brim with fluff just to respond, we've got a problem.

Or ( and this is probably just me ) really random typos. Like if Every other Word is Randomly capitalized Or something. Or randomly change tenses. Or freaking if you use + as and. Or really any numbers in replacement of words. I just I can't. It drives me bananas.

... I am amused by the fact that, technically, illiteracy is resulting in a misunderstanding of the word literacy.

Anyway, my pet peeve is characters that are entirely free of flaws. I can understand wanting to play an omnipotent or endlessly talented character; To escape from the feeling of powerlessness or inadequacy that pervades everyday-life, but we can learn a powerful lesson from a flawed character:

How to grow.

While I can't defend "literate," I hope I can explain what (at least, in my mind) semi-lit and lit are supposed to mean.

Again, I don't know if I'm speaking for everyone, though I certainly hope I am, but I believe its supposed to be "lit" as in "literature" rather than literate, meaning the writing style requirements within are supposed to be upholding something like a book's standards rather than one-liners or other very brief posts.

I hope my explanation is coming off in a way that doesn't judge quality. Its just a matter of stylistic preference, I think.
However most of the time when they spell the full word they use "literate" instead of "literature."

Ugh! I wouldn't get me started, ahah.
- When someone says they are semi-literate or literate and you starting roleplaying and they send something along the lines of: Leah had a coffee in her hand and she sat down at the table. "hi how are you?" she said to Talia.
Like, what are you on about being literate, aha.

- Partners in 1 on 1s that don't contribute to creating the plot! Infuriating!

- Mary/Garry Sue characters, far too many of them everywhere. Along with super edgy characters, when done right they are amazing, but the whole 'I wear black, smoke, do drugs and I'm also the boss of every gang ever' is boorish.

• When someone tells you that they're detailed/advanced and that they require a certain thing from you, and then they proceed to post meaningless filler posts that make no sense and make it nearly impossible for you to reply.
  • GMs who spend so much time on lore/backstory and get everyone super hyped for the roleplay and it ends up crashing after one day.
  • Not being able to tell if something is detailed or advanced unless you waste your time reading it. (I've heard RPN used to have an advanced prefix option, where did that go?)
  • Partners who refuse to work with you to make a plot that you both enjoy.
  • People who decide they're done roleplaying with me and don't tell me. Come on, let me know what I did wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back