Roleplay Pet Peeves

a Cringey Roleplay Site that is infinitely worse than Roblox. people pile superpowers onto their characters and also pile on immunities, usually with no rhyme, reason, balance, theme or anything to their abilities by just piling on abilities that help them in combat.
That sounds like a fucking nightmare

oki, this sounds stupid. you know that feeling when you want, so badly, to be within your written creations.

*then you just break down and cry for hours on end and try so desperately to imagine it as hard as you can and you become the ultimate daydreamer but you will never feel true happiness because none of that will ever happen even though having powers would be the most epic thing in the world but its all just in your head to the point where you have the most massive existential crisis like what am i doing with my life omg help i have potential but i just don't apply it aaaAAAAHHHH*

but sometimes, in our little corner of the internet where we write and laugh, is just as good as if we lived within our fantasies.

that's my pet peeve.

bye.

I dislike a lot of different things, but my biggest pet peeve is when people don't try with their posts or characters. I understand people that don't write as much or their characters aren't as well developed, but I'd rather wait four days for a well thought out reply (no matter the length) as opposed to a half-hearted reply in an hour. When I get a half-hearted reply back, it gives me nothing to work with, I can't play off your reply in my own and it makes me not want to reply at all.

I hate people who ignore what I write. For example, if I say my character attacked yours or a NPC viciously, you should react accordingly....otherwise, it's a waste of my time to even bother writing.
And by react accordingly, I mean at least flinch.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I think an excessive amount of underpowered characters is just as detrimental to an RP as the presence of OP characters.

I was in one RP with this problem. So many OCs were dumb, lazy, underpowered, and/or otherwise ill-suited to the task at hand that getting anything done at all became a huge chore. It's great to write OCs with flaws, but these people were afraid to give their characters any strengths at all.

I've had a few weirdo partners lately, but the thing that annoyed me the most was when my partner simply ignored what I said (both in character and OOC) and started to control my character.

What the actual fk lol damb.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I think an excessive amount of underpowered characters is just as detrimental to an RP as the presence of OP characters.

I was in one RP with this problem. So many OCs were dumb, lazy, underpowered, and/or otherwise ill-suited to the task at hand that getting anything done at all became a huge chore. It's great to write OCs with flaws, but these people were afraid to give their characters any strengths at all.

Oh, I understand. I had a partner like that once. The roleplay became very boring because all her characters did was hang around and complain about stupid little things. It made me feel like I did all the work, and it was annoying because no-one likes people who are negative all the time.

Sounds like a more self-aware/intentional Pretty Lampshade character. This is something you see A LOT in romance centric stories. The central idea being that if you can replace a character with a lampshade and have absolutely nothing in the plot or the story change than they're a Pretty Lampshade.

So for most of these characters the plot and interactions are things that happen TO them not WITH them. The idea isn't that they contribute to the plot or story by their own merit but rather that the plot / story sort of goes on around them. As if they're a rock in the middle of the creek that is the story.

And considering a roleplay is a collaborative effort this style of character is worse than useless. It's unnecessary. Even over powered god monsters are better than this because at least they're DOING things. Sure they're things that make no sense and are a pain to work around but hey at least they're out they're affecting the story.

I think a lot of times when people right these characters what they're trying to do is make a more 'grounded' character when in reality they pretty much make just the anti-OP character which means you go from derailing a plot due to your childish idiocy to having no say in the plot and basically taking up value space that could be used actually doing things.

-Characters/RPers who godmod so much that everyone else makes their characters godmod so they can stay relevant.

-GMs who let characters godmod.

-RPers who play a canon character that acts nothing like the actual character.

That's about it, really.

I get pretty annoyed when people's backstories introduce new elements to the setting that actually have a huge impact on the tone or plot if you stop and think about them for five minutes. Like how about you take a moment to ask what happens to people's souls in this world instead of assuming there's a heaven so you can be half angel or whatever?

Bonus points if their backstory impacts on something that was specifically addressed in the provided setting info.

I get pretty annoyed when people's backstories introduce new elements to the setting that actually have a huge impact on the tone or plot if you stop and think about them for five minutes. Like how about you take a moment to ask what happens to people's souls in this world instead of assuming there's a heaven so you can be half angel or whatever?

Bonus points if their backstory impacts on something that was specifically addressed in the provided setting info.

Well angels are rarely tied to any specific religion - at least when it comes to people being like half angel x half neko x half whatever. But your right it at the very least does raise the question of what the heck is an angel and how can it cross breed with a neko or whatever else?

I usually put those more on the GM than anything like - um shouldn't you like read what the people are submitting and make sure it actually fits the story you are trying to tell.

As I've understood it, angels are specific to abrahamic religions, such as christianity and the jews. Other religions have their own mythological beings. So if you want to play an angel first you would communicate with your partner if those religions are real in the world you play in. I can understand how stuff like that is annoying.

As I've understood it, angels are specific to abrahamic religions, such as christianity and the jews. Other religions have their own mythological beings. So if you want to play an angel first you would communicate with your partner if those religions are real in the world you play in. I can understand how stuff like that is annoying.

Well your assuming the creature is tied to a religion at all. There are plenty of fantasy genres that have creatures called angels that have nothing whatsoever to do with any relgion real or imagined. They are instead mythological beings that have some kind of specific power-set. Most of the time when people are like - my character is half angel x half demon x half whatever they are not in any way aligning their character with a religion and instead simply creating a character with a hodge podge of powers.

To use a common example - half angel x half demon

So the power would likely include wings, horns, and some kind of holy ability ( like idk healing or the ability to destroy wickedness ) and also some kind of unholy ability ( like idk the ability to kill with a touch or whatever )

Basically the creature has nothing to do with any religion and is instead considered no different than say a werewolf or a vampire. It's just some kind of fantastical being that wields incredible power and these people want to make the most overpowered creature in existence so they use the terms - angel / demon / etc - to justify their character being even more overpowered and often having a lot of really contradictory ability.

It's in substance no different than making a character that is half vampire half zombie half werewolf half phoenix half dragon etc. for one thing you obviously can't be half all those things and for another there is no logical reason a lot of those creatures would even be able to cross breed with one another.

The fantasy story's I have read featuring angels always tied them to abrahamic mythology, including devils, heaven, hel etc.
From your describtion playing with someone who plays and angels sounds really boring. :P
Yes, that's quite a feat for one character to be half vampire, half zombie, half werewolf, half phoenix, half dragon. :D

The fantasy story's I have read featuring angels always tied them to abrahamic mythology, including devils, heaven, hel etc.
From your description playing with someone who plays and angels sounds really boring. :P
Yes, that's quite a feat for one character to be half vampire, half zombie, half werewolf, half phoenix, half dragon. :D

lol yeah i've read plenty of fantasy where "angel" and "demon" where more broad categories for specific supernatural entities. Several times they weren't even considered holy or unholy just kind of assigned a certain tier in the pantheon of divine figures ( divine as in creatures with enormous power not divine as in creatures upon which religions are built )

So like one of my favorite portrayals of angels were as a pair of twins that protected humans from like necromancer dark magic. Sort of similar to a guardian angel but not really tied in any way to a set human religion or a concept of the afterlife.

But yeah the frustrating thing with the original complaint is less what creatures are being crossed ( i.e. angels with demons , or angels with like five other species, or whatever ) and is more with a lack definition on how the parent species happened to crossbreed to make this amazing uber special offspring.

Like okay but how did the vampire and the werewolf have a baby? How did the angel and the cat person have a baby? And usually the explanations are like...because it's awesome and I said so.

I could accept an angel as just another type of fantasy creature, with no religion tied to them. I had just never heard of it before but yeah, why not?
I would always turn a super special crossbreed down, no matter how much sense it makes. I don't play super special characters and I don't think any of my characters care much for super special beings in any way. But yes I see the importance of it having to make sense if that is your kind of thing.

I could accept an angel as just another type of fantasy creature, with no religion tied to them. I had just never heard of it before but yeah, why not?
I would always turn a super special crossbreed down, no matter how much sense it makes. I don't play super special characters and I don't think any of my characters care much for super special beings in any way. But yes I see the importance of it having to make sense if that is your kind of thing.

lfor me it depends on the story at hand. i do a lot of superhero roleplays so you tend to get a lot of high power-levels in those stories. and sometimes the idea behind the story is just to see how that power corrupts.

but if like your god creature is being put in a roleplay where they are obviously more powerful than everyone else i'll ask you to nerf them down a bit for fairness. but if everyone is overpowered than it's not as huge a deal.

I don't think I would play a proper god or super hero, but I can see how it would be interesting to play a superhero being corrupted by power.

When people misjudge other roleplayer's styles. Like I've been called "illiterate" "Shitty" and other horrid labels just because I use a script-like style.
For that matter when roleplayers say "illiterate" but mean "laconic" and say "literate" but mean "wordy"

Last edited:
When people misjudge other roleplayer's styles. Like I've been called "illiterate" "Shitty" and other horrid labels just because I use a script-like style. For that matter when roleplayers say "Illiterate" but mean "laconic" and say "literate" but mean "wordy"

Yeah that's how I tend to RP too. I can see how thatd get annoying.

When people misjudge other roleplayer's styles. Like I've been called "illiterate" "Shitty" and other horrid labels just because I use a script-like style.
For that matter when roleplayers say "illiterate" but mean "laconic" and say "literate" but mean "wordy"

best way i know to get a laugh at that is to just remind them that - literate is just the ability to read and write. which presumably if your on this site and replying to their messages you have mastered this fine art. by contrast illiterate means unable to either read or write.

i think a lot of people forget that words mean things. but if your going to be super snotty about someone fitting your arbitrary set of standards i have no problem being super snotty back.

all - actually i can read and write and moreover use a dictionary so i suggest you look up what the word illiterate actually means and leave me alone.

best way i know to get a laugh at that is to just remind them that - literate is just the ability to read and write. which presumably if your on this site and replying to their messages you have mastered this fine art. by contrast illiterate means unable to either read or write.

i think a lot of people forget that words mean things. but if your going to be super snotty about someone fitting your arbitrary set of standards i have no problem being super snotty back.

all - actually i can read and write and moreover use a dictionary so i suggest you look up what the word illiterate actually means and leave me alone.

Sorry I had too haha

full

also I only replied to this thread because we've talked before and I'm bored af, so plz don't hurt me rae2nerdy rae2nerdy

Sorry I had too haha

also I only replied to this thread because we've talked before and I'm bored af, so plz don't hurt me rae2nerdy rae2nerdy

Actually you perfectly illustrated what I think is the big misconception with the words literacry and illiteracy. For a lot of the people that use the latter ( illiteracy/illiterate ) to belittle others what they're really talking about is GRAMMAR.

Like they basically see people who they feel don't pay the proper amount of attention to proper grammar and they assume this means the people are illiterate. And alternately they pride themselves on proper grammar and they think this makes them more literate than others.

When literacy/illiteracy has nothing to do with grammar. It is really only related to the basic ability to either read or write. You don't have to do either of those things perfectly to be considered literate. You don't have to be able to pass some kind of literacy test that proves you can follow all the rules of grammar or what have you. No if you can read a book or write something in a manner that is understandable to others than your literate.

Further the original point was more an issue of different writing styles entirely. A script based roleplay is going to have different writing rules than a novel length one.That doesn't mean that just because it's different it is automatically less literate. That would be like if I said someone who writes cookbooks is less literate than someone who writes fantasy novels. The two have nothing to do with one another so it's silly to make the comparison in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back