Roleplay Pet Peeves

When people very obviously base their characters off existing videogame/movie/anime characters. Now don't take me wrong, it's fine to look for inspiration in various places, but what I can't take are carbon copies. They usually don't fit the setting, too. Like I've seen someone trying to play Ezio from AC in a gritty medieval roleplay. He kept complaining that the GM wouldn't allow him to use a phantom blade, insisting that "b-but I can't be an assassin without a phantom blade!" while completely ignoring that assassins as a concept don't even exist there. That character was also an edgy atheist who didn't even try to hide it despite the fact that his party consisted of religious fanatics hunting unbelievers. That's my second pet peeve, characters who are too ~*special*~ to conform to the logic of the GM's world.

When people very obviously base their characters off existing videogame/movie/anime characters. Now don't take me wrong, it's fine to look for inspiration in various places, but what I can't take are carbon copies. They usually don't fit the setting, too. Like I've seen someone trying to play Ezio from AC in a gritty medieval roleplay. He kept complaining that the GM wouldn't allow him to use a phantom blade, insisting that "b-but I can't be an assassin without a phantom blade!" while completely ignoring that assassins as a concept don't even exist there. That character was also an edgy atheist who didn't even try to hide it despite the fact that his party consisted of religious fanatics hunting unbelievers. That's my second pet peeve, characters who are too ~*special*~ to conform to the logic of the GM's world.

Assassins at their core were intelligence agents that did reconnaissance and espionage. there were spies and scouts in any medieval European country, they just weren't called assassins and they carried the same weapons used by the social status of the person or role they were posing as. they were clearly not low level characters. if the guy wanted to be an "Assassin". i would have Rejected the Ezio Clone and worked with them on a Scout or Spy type character appropriate to the setting.

Umbrie Umbrie i think what they were getting at was less ( how can this be fixed ) and more when GMs allow XXX thing it makes me mad.

Which is a valid point. I personally don't like canon copies either - it doesn't matter if they fit the setting or not it's just lazy to copy someone else's creation.

As to the second point it was more of a GM issue really - you shouldn't allow people to join who either don't understand or don't care to follow your established lore. Stuff like this drives me crazy. Because it ruins the roleplay for everyone else when there is this one person who flatly refuses to play by the rules

i would be fine allowing somebody who didn't understand the lore but wanted to learn it by playing through it. but i wouldn't allow somebody who didn't care for the lore and just wanted to play their Elite Special Forces Badass Murderhobo Mckillington.

i would be fine allowing somebody who didn't understand the lore but wanted to learn it by playing through it. but i wouldn't allow somebody who didn't care for the lore and just wanted to play their Elite Special Forces Badass Murderhobo Mckillington.

And I think you might be misunderstanding the point of this thread. It's about pet peeves - which are just little things that annoy individual people about roleplaying. You can agree / disagree / be totally neutral on the subject and that's all fine.

Everyone has their own personal peeves and yours could be something totally different than mine. If letting people join a roleplay who don't know what is going on doesn't bother you that's fine. It does however bother me and that's also totally fine.

It's like if this was a thread about everyone's least favorite foods and I posted - I hate pickles with a fiery passion and refuse to eat any food with them in it.

Well if you like pickles ( or neutral to them ) and post - well have you tried putting pickles in a sandwhich with xx sauce, it's really good.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. But the thread isn't about what kind of foods you like or how to make pickles palable ( which in my personal opinion is impossible because they're gross ). It's a thread about writing the kinds of foods you don't like.

It's the same concept here. A pet peeve is just a personal thing someone doesn't like. It is not in anyway related to other people's enjoyment of a medium, any more than my disliking pickles affects other people's ability to enjoy them.

I extremely dislike it when I post with an incredibly interesting reply and then check my notifications. They posted so quick (like 2-3 days about)!

It excites me and I go click on it to read. My hopes sail higher when I see it is more than one paragraph.

AND THEN I READ IT...

It's literally 2-3 paragraphs of the character doing nothing only to reply with one comment and expect me to write something off of that.

Like:

A is incredibly astonished, her mouth forming into a gaping hole of shock. She bats her lash. ___ insert 4+ lines of shockery that is not progressive to the plot (basically just words used to make the post seem longer). A could not believe B did that.

(1 more paragraph passes by)

A said, "Oh my god."

Note that the character has not moved, nothing of that sort. Just wrote 2 paragraphs to lengthen a singular action that had no need to be so elongated. (I get it if you want to emphasize a moment, but not to the point where your entire post is just that moment.)

This peeves me so much; I'm not entirely sure how to respond to it to make the plot go on. I regret reading the post because now my mind is scrambling to come up with something progressive and creative that won't kill my neurons.

I extremely dislike it when I post with an incredibly interesting reply and then check my notifications. They posted so quick (like 2-3 days about)!

It excites me and I go click on it to read. My hopes sail higher when I see it is more than one paragraph.

AND THEN I READ IT...

It's literally 2-3 paragraphs of the character doing nothing only to reply with one comment and expect me to write something off of that.

Like:

A is incredibly astonished, her mouth forming into a gaping hole of shock. She bats her lash. ___ insert 4+ lines of shockery that is not progressive to the plot (basically just words used to make the post seem longer). A could not believe B did that.

(1 more paragraph passes by)

A said, "Oh my god."

Note that the character has not moved, nothing of that sort. Just wrote 2 paragraphs to lengthen a singular action that had no need to be so elongated. (I get it if you want to emphasize a moment, but not to the point where your entire post is just that moment.)

This peeves me so much; I'm not entirely sure how to respond to it to make the plot go on. I regret reading the post because now my mind is scrambling to come up with something progressive and creative that won't kill my neurons.

So I ended up writing like four paragraphs about conciseness here. Ironic. Tldr: people learn from their peers, and their peers think you have to type huge posts to be cool. So they learn that and then the next batch learns from them. It sucks. I'd rather have one-liners as long as the character is actually doing something. Less likely to glaze over and skim and miss what little actually important info there is in the post.

So I ended up writing like four paragraphs about conciseness here. Ironic. Tldr: people learn from their peers, and their peers think you have to type huge posts to be cool. So they learn that and then the next batch learns from them. It sucks. I'd rather have one-liners as long as the character is actually doing something. Less likely to glaze over and skim and miss what little actually important info there is in the post.
Bronies.
Hehe.
Hi there.
Be my friend.

I love roleplaying with people of different levels of experience in roleplaying but I get a bit annoyed when people type like this during a roleplay:
Jack: u sur ur okay? u can alwys talk 2 me. im her 4 u
(Not usually that bad but you get what I mean)
Like, it's super difficult to understand and it honestly shows that they don't put much thought into their replies. Like I feel bad for being annoyed by it but still...

being told i have to commit to a consistent minimum post length is a huge pet peeve for me. i generally like to get the majority of the important descriptive features over with in the introduction so i can type shorter posts later. being told to commit to a consistent minimum makes reacting more difficult and also forces some people to search for filler content. look at Aniroleplay.com for example, your standard Aniroleplay.com Tournament fighter writes about 8-15 paragraphs, only about 3 lines of it are actually important action buried or sandwiched behind and between constant repetition of the same descriptive points by writing what feels like the writer was sexually abusing a thesaurus in a rather grotesque manner. we get it, your Umbrella is black with a skull at the bottom tip of the handle.

and i'm sorry for being unintentionally graphic, but that was the most PG-13 way i could put it.

am i allowed to List Aniroleplay.com as a pet peeve on its own? the site is loaded with things that could peeve or cringe just about anyone

What is aniroleplay if I may ask?

a Cringey Roleplay Site that is infinitely worse than Roblox. people pile superpowers onto their characters and also pile on immunities, usually with no rhyme, reason, balance, theme or anything to their abilities by just piling on abilities that help them in combat.

a Cringey Roleplay Site that is infinitely worse than Roblox. people pile superpowers onto their characters and also pile on immunities, usually with no rhyme, reason, balance, theme or anything to their abilities by just piling on abilities that help them in combat.
Sounds catastrophic oml

Time to make an account, and recycle my 50 year old timelord janitor who's job is to fill in plotholes and feed 2nd dimensional characters.

Sounds catastrophic oml

it definitely is. i had to make special beefed up versions of my characters just for Ani that are separate from every other site out there. they complain about Avatar Aang, but use Cosmic Awareness, Chronomancy and Tarot Mimicry or other broken powers that were heavily loaded with benefits and with literally next to no weaknesses and next to no personality.

Instant romance as in three hours of characters meeting! Noooooooo. I was once in a thread where my character met my partner's character about several posts in. In the course of three hours my partner's character fell in love with my character even though she did nothing to deserve such feelings I mean we were 48 posts in and the guy talked about loving her and starting a family.
That's dislike at the highest degree right there.

I've had a few weirdo partners lately, but the thing that annoyed me the most was when my partner simply ignored what I said (both in character and OOC) and started to control my character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back