Experiences Roleplay Nostalgia And Using It To Love Roleplay Again

NightshadeCupcakes

Nights Delachord
I've been an avid roleplayer since 2013, focusing almost entirely on text-based fandom roleplay up until the last couple years. I started on Wattpad, of all places, and went to Quotev and Geeking (before it shut down). I'm currently on Amino, Quotev, RPN and Project Z.

Back in the Wattpad days. around 2015, I was in a small roleplaying group. There were four people, including myself, and we all roleplayed Hetalia - with all our OCs being either micronations, cities or towns. I was the Italian city Verona, another member called Chris was Ottowa, a member called Rylie was the small island nation of Ryter (original) and the last member, Alla, was another original nation that I can't remember the name of.

I recently found an old record of the roleplay and read through it - no easy feat, there was an original book we all wrote together about the roleplay, thousands of messages in chat logs, one-on-one roleplays I had with members and random profile comments that sparked more roleplay - and it was honestly so strange to read. I was 13 at the time, so naturally it was very cringy on my end with a lot of over-the-top drama and a Mary Sue for an OC, but the level of commitment was intense. Having read through it all, looking at everything I did, I began to understand my current roleplay style a lot more.

Back then, I was very spontaneous, with a lot of intense drama, sudden plot changes, and of course, a lot of character shipping. Essentially, I was a child writing stories with his friends, and just doing whatever came into my head. I honestly feel sorry for a lot of my old roleplay partners - back then, I was a maladaptive daydreamer and tended to blur the lines between reality and fiction. I had one OC that I poured my heart and soul into, Talia, and she was as Mary Sue as they come. She was literally god, specifically the goddess of space, and had every power under the sun. She was the most beautiful girl in the world and every single person who saw her fell in love. Gross. Either way, I enjoyed myself, and I found it really easy to adapt myself and my characters to any fandom, universe or plot that was thrown my way. I could switch styles on the fly, and I did so often. I was quick to respond, with tons of responses daily - if I could respond, I did, regardless of whether I really thought things through. I was chaotic, and happier roleplaying then than I have been in a long time.

Now that I'm a depressed, disillusioned twenty-year-old, I take a more calculated approach to roleplay. I have very few active roleplays now, and only one has been long term. Now, I focus on lore, world-building and working with pre-existing characters. I tend to get burnt out very easily when it comes to roleplay, and as a result, I don't do group roleplays anymore. I only tend to do a couple responses a day, and while I try to respond daily, I sometimes take a few days to respond due to the burnout. I am very devoted to any roleplay I'm in, but I have a lot of difficulty working out how to respond since I'm always thinking seven steps ahead in the plot. I have a lot of difficulty being creative in terms of plot and rely heavily on working with my roleplay partners in order to work out what to do. I tend to give them a lot more control and I feel guilty for it.

As for Talia, she's still around, though nowadays she goes by Lia. She's still the goddess of space, but she's given up that title in favour of living as a human with her wife Aurelie and her cat Nova. She's officially named her successor in Hoshi, her son, who is the new god of space and a member of the pantheon - which includes the god of earth, the goddess of heaven, the patron gods of the planets, the gods of light and darkness, the goddess of chaos, the goddess of time and the deity of life. There's an established hierarchy; Time and Life are partners, and their son, Light, is the partner of Darkness, the son of chaos. Light and Darkness are the parents of the original Space and Earth, and the patron gods of the planets, the goddess of heaven and the current god of space are all the children of the original Space. I've also been working on Elemental gods (fire, water, air) who would be Earth's children.

If you can, I'd recommend finding and reading through old roleplays, especially if you've found yourself being burnt out and bored of roleplay lately. Reading through your old work, no matter how embarrassing or cringy it might be, can really help to give you some more perspective on how you've grown as a roleplayer and what things you may need to relearn or start doing again. I now know that while doing very structured roleplays with established lore and history is something I enjoy, it does take a lot out of me, so I might want to try doing more one-shot roleplays, or short-term roleplays where there isn't a pre-established history. I do prefer the way I roleplay now in terms of being fully grounded in reality and focusing mostly on long-term roleplays with partners I am close to and can trust, but I do wish that I could also be spontaneous and have short roleplays, group roleplays, and just be able to have fun and goof off again.

I'm hoping that knowing what I know now will help me be an even better roleplayer, who's more well-rounded and can contribute more to roleplays. I hope that I can adapt better to roleplaying with different people, and I hope that I can fully enjoy roleplay again.

I do occasionally go back to read old RP's actually. It gets me excited to try new ideas, often with a similar premise.

Oddly enough I haven’t actually changed that much as a roleplayer. I think the quality of my writing and characters have improved over the past fifteen years but my actual focus as a roleplayer never really changed.

I have always been a world builder first and foremost, I just learned to manage my time better as I got older.

If anything I think I have more appreciating for the hobby in my middle age because I have stopped taking it so personally when things don’t work out AND I hold myself to more realistic standards.

Reading my old work does bring about moments of nostalgia. I remember where I was as a writer and where I am now as well as how I want to keep going. Of course with opening of the floodgates of my old writing comes a high level of cringe 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back