Roleplay... Anxiety?

VALEN T.

Seriously, I don't know if that thread title is clickbaity(?) or not but I didn't know what else to call it. ((Also I hope I posted this in the corrected forum - I had the Community Hub tab open too oof))

I consider myself to be a pretty decent roleplayer, literate enough and I'll do my best to drive the plot forwards and give my partner something to work with.

If someone is roleplaying and continues to roleplay with you then they must still be interested in the plot and satisfied enough with your replies, right? That's what I try telling myself at least but sometimes (a lot of the times) I feel like I'm unable to keep up with my partner, that I'm not writing as much as them, there's something lacking in my responses or maybe I'm enjoying the plot/roleplay more than my partner.

I mean, there's no definite way to know or confirm any of that but still.

((I really don't know where I'm going with this lol.)) It can't just be me right? Can anyone else relate ;;^^ ? Sort-of?

You're definitely not alone in this. So welcome to the club XD
I'm also very insecure about my writing. Even though none of my rp partners ever complained but I'm a perfectionist and I judge myself more than I would judge anyone else. So yeah...
Just keep writing. You can talk to rp partners about this if you trust them enough. Talking really helps.

But if a rp is going well that's always a good sign to maybe relax a bit ^^

Onmyoji Onmyoji

Right? It's like, if my partner couldn't keep up with my length for every one of their replies, I wouldn't stop roleplaying with them over it. As long as they were putting in an effort, I'd be fine with it. BuT wHeN iT cOmEs To MySeLf

Gahhh, yeah, if it's going smoothly, I should probably relax >^<

I relate! I always find myself rereading g my posts and editing them until I'm satisfied. It can be hard to write sometimes. Especially if you have some writer's block going on. I just always make sure I have enough time and That I'm relaxed enough to come up with something! I never like putting out a rushed response.

WildHairedOne WildHairedOne

I don't edit my posts I suppose I should start proof-reading them because instances where I do go over and read my previous replies, I'll find that I missed out a few words and other small grammatical errors that b u g m e so even if there's no point doing it anymore, I'll still fix it.

Same! I can reply once every day or once every two days but I make time to respond to any roleplays so that my replies aren't too choppy or make me wanna bang my head against a wall when i re-read them

WildHairedOne WildHairedOne

I don't edit my posts I suppose I should start proof-reading them because instances where I do go over and read my previous replies, I'll find that I missed out a few words and other small grammatical errors that b u g m e so even if there's no point doing it anymore, I'll still fix it.

Same! I can reply once every day or once every two days but I make time to respond to any roleplays so that my replies aren't too choppy or make me wanna bang my head against a wall when i re-read them
Small grammatical errors that I didn't even notice when re-checking and notice just... days after the post, are so annoying??? Like, how did that even happen? Why am I making those mistakes? I really hate that, because I put lot of effort into what I wrote and I'm sure I must've checked that!

first it was mainly just my reply length I was worried about - that situation's gotten a whole lot better - but now :-) it's :-) how I'm really happy with most of my roleplays and am enjoying them a lot and you know :-) my brain :-) doesn't let me :-) have a moment of happiness :-) because now I'm anxious that I'm having more fun than my partner is :-) i'm :-) gonna :-) cry :-) why am I like this :""""D

yeppppppppppppppppp big ol' bag of anxiety over here
i get that way too when i ask my husband to read or edit any stories i've completed for possible publishing
i hate looking back on what i wrote at like 2am (and id like yeah, im such a good writer) and ask myself when did i become such a potato writer

CgF7h_iXIAE3TCn.jpg

legit a picture of me writing
potato game strong #potatolife

I didn't back in the day, but after a very long hiatus, I'm doing this. Though, my partner also had a long hiatus, and I think we're both doing it. We both 'check in', but after 2 weeks, we're doing it less. We ask fewer times if things are ok, but we still say that we're enjoying it pretty frequently.

I relate to this a ton, omg. I don't over-analyze anyone else's writing nearly as much as my own, and I think it stems from an underlying fear of "I'm having fun but am afraid I will ruin it and the fun will stop," if that makes sense? But really, if an RP partner is continuing to respond and seems to be having fun, too... then there's probably nothing to worry about. Easier said than done, I know, but I try to remember that if someone doesn't want to RP with me, they wouldn't and if they are, it's by choice, because they want to.

I don't over-analyze anyone else's writing nearly as much as my own, and I think it stems from an underlying fear of "I'm having fun but am afraid I will ruin it and the fun will stop,"
Sksksjsjss rIgHt? ?

if someone doesn't want to RP with me, they wouldn't and if they are, it's by choice, because they want to
Yeah ! I try telling myself that too and it does get better at times but then oof im cri :""""")

I can relate. I already have anxiety so pair that up with constantly feeling like my writing is inadequate and you have a bad mix.

you have no idea how much i panic seeing a long ass reply because "oMg WhAt Am I gOiNg To WrItE iN rEsPoNsE, i HaVe No CoNtEnT" n then end up writing a decent (if i say so myself) one in regards to both quality and quantity n i'm just there like
*insert pikachu meme here*
eXcUsE mE wHaT tHe FuCk

I think I'm less insecure and more just overwhelmed. I know I'm kind of a perfectionist so I have a hard time writing when EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PERFECT! Partners get it though, I think we've all felt this way or still feel this way. It's just...not being nervous that's the hard part lol

"I'm having fun but am afraid I will ruin it and the fun will stop,"

sdsdj I feel that! I also have a habit of re-reading my posts and then get insecure about my writing, even though my partner obviously wouldn’t be replying to me if they didn’t enjoy the roleplay. but like still

Haha, so nevermind. My partner just deleted the whole discord server with our game and resources because I'm extra depressed and tired this week which overlaps with his vacation. Even though I said I was looking for RP to alleviate my depression... I tell myself that I'm not great at reading people and to not have anxiety over behaviors and tones I may be reading too much into. Nope, I was wrong! Keep that anxiety safely bottled up until it explodes. :grinningteeth:

obieblu obieblu
(i know i'm replying pretty late to this but i hope it still helps)
i'm sorry your partner did what they did, i'm sure they had their reasons though - whatever they may be. did you talk to them about it?
also rpn has many wonderful roleplayers, you'll find a new partner in no time !! one who'll communicate with you and help you build worlds, plan and plot, the whole lot really. don't give up on searching for them !!

I tell myself that I'm not great at reading people and to not have anxiety over behaviors and tones I may be reading too much into
i tell myself that too but it's always good to keep some level of scepticism. check in with them every now and then to see whether you're still on the same page or not

Perhaps it's something to do with writers block? Personally when I get writers block I feel a bit anxious about my replies and I feel they aren't good enough. Don't let it get to you, no one is perfect.

Seriously, I don't know if that thread title is clickbaity(?) or not but I didn't know what else to call it. ((Also I hope I posted this in the corrected forum - I had the Community Hub tab open too oof))

I consider myself to be a pretty decent roleplayer, literate enough and I'll do my best to drive the plot forwards and give my partner something to work with.

If someone is roleplaying and continues to roleplay with you then they must still be interested in the plot and satisfied enough with your replies, right? That's what I try telling myself at least but sometimes (a lot of the times) I feel like I'm unable to keep up with my partner, that I'm not writing as much as them, there's something lacking in my responses or maybe I'm enjoying the plot/roleplay more than my partner.

I mean, there's no definite way to know or confirm any of that but still.

((I really don't know where I'm going with this lol.)) It can't just be me right? Can anyone else relate ;;^^ ? Sort-of?
ye i can, i relate a hundred percent. Also we should rp together just saying

exy exy
yea !! like sometimes i wanna reply just for the sake of replying because i've kept my partners waiting for so long or other times, i don't have the time to reply but i still need to get one out so i end up rushing it and it comes out all choppy and weird ugh

D d1uni5ys24si3o
tbh we should uwu

Users who are viewing this thread