What's new

Experiences Role-play frustration Vent thread

Darklord95

exactly 1 lord darker than you
It's when characters take action based on information that they don't know, but that the roleplayers know, for example.
What if the DM (or whatever you’d call them here) makes choices based on the characters, like say if someone’s brother was killed by a gang member, and they make one of the villains they had in mind the killer?

N-On-E-Mus

Anonymous 4 reason
Who else hates that when you start an RP maybe a dozen or two people say they are interested and put in there character sheets, but when the RP actually starts, there’s only like 4-5 ppl active?

Darklord95

Who else hates that when you start an RP maybe a dozen or two people say they are interested and put in there character sheets, but when the RP actually starts, there’s only like 4-5 ppl active?
That happened the last few RPs I was in, they all died because a bunch of people ghosted, and the person who started the RP just vanished without a trace.

Kahir

"𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖆 𝖎𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖆 𝖊𝖘𝖙"
What if the DM (or whatever you’d call them here) makes choices based on the characters, like say if someone’s brother was killed by a gang member, and they make one of the villains they had in mind the killer?
A DM is a heterodiegetic omniscient narrator, so they do not partake in the story as a character. They do partake as NPCs and use such meta-information in order to move the plot forward because that is the only way they can do so, as they do not play as a specific character. When people play specific characters, metagaming feels like breaking the 4th wall.

Darklord95

A DM is a heterodiegetic omniscient narrator, so they do not partake in the story as a character. They do partake as NPCs and use such meta-information in order to move the plot forward because that is the only way they can do so, as they do not play as a specific character. When people play specific characters, metagaming feels like breaking the 4th wall.
Gotcha

Jannah

I suppose I'm back. Hello again.
Yeah that's why I don't use character sheets at all. No point
I honestly hate using character sheets. I will reluctantly complete them if the RP requires them, but I will never use them in my own unless it's the rare occasion where I'm running a group RP. I'm the kind of person who likes to gradually reveal parts of the character as the story progresses. I don't just make things up to fit the storyline either. I do plan them out in advance mostly for my own record keeping sake, but I like to keep that information to myself until the time is right in game. I like to keep my writing partners surprised as they learn new facts about the character.

AngelCloud

Edgelord Roleplayer
I honestly hate using character sheets. I will reluctantly complete them if the RP requires them, but I will never use them in my own unless it's the rare occasion where I'm running a group RP. I'm the kind of person who likes to gradually reveal parts of the character as the story progresses. I don't just make things up to fit the storyline either. I do plan them out in advance mostly for my own record keeping sake, but I like to keep that information to myself until the time is right in game. I like to keep my writing partners surprised as they learn new facts about the character.
This right here! That's the main reason i won't use a CS in my own rp. If i have to use a CS then i will fill out the bare minimum

Jannah

I suppose I'm back. Hello again.
This right here! That's the main reason i won't use a CS in my own rp. If i have to use a CS then i will fill out the bare minimum
When I do them in my own RP's I only ask for the most basic info. I hate the practice so I would be a hypocrite to except so much of it from others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)