Robotech: UEEF Saga

Jackie will admit, he was having ALOT of fun with this, not only was his wonderful little AI friend working wonderfully, passing with flying colors, he managed to get a few high scores~! Well, they didn't have them in the machine but AVI was keeping count for what she called "Bragging rights to hold over her predecessors." in truth, he was curious and proud that he made such a human personality. But now it was time to get out, time certainly flies when one is having fun. 

"If we did something wrong, I'm not scrubbing any decks!"

"Eh? what do you mean AVI- Ah..." jackie stared at the large collection of people, realizing how good the pod was at keeping sound out... he glanced towards Douglas with a look that told a mixture of "Did we majorly fuck up?' and "This is alot of brass in one room." He froze for a moment, the admiral's words hitting him suddenly, he cleared his throat, letting out a few uhs before he began. "Y-yes, sir. The AVI program was originally my idea, but thanks to the help of Sgt Dorsey and his work we were able to create what AVI is today. We at first sought to have everything down pat and ready before we showed you all." he snapped to attention and spoke through his salute. 

he could talk on end of AVI's capabilities and what she was amde to do... But it caught in his troat and he awaited the next words of the brass.... Plus AVI might start to feel embarrassed if he started gushing. 

The tiny Russian woman seems to see the level of anxiety that Jackie is feeling, and she proffers up a smile.  "At ease, lieutenant.  No one is getting written up here.  We heard about your experiment, and wanted to see for ourselves what was going on.  This AVI program is your baby; we won't be taking it from you, but I would like to see this tested in a full scale model, as well as other units, including General Castile's Destroid forces.  What will you need from me to make this happen faster?"  She nods over at one of her staff officers to take notes.  "Lt Hauser will be my liaison to you, so if there is a need, contact him and we'll make it happen for you.  Keep us in the loop, ok?"  Admiral Kerensky glances at her watch and then says, "I have to get back to my paperwork.  Good job, Lt McGregor and Sgt Dorsey.  I'm going to be keeping my eye on you both."  With that, most of the brass head for the exit, leaving Crimson Squad alone with a few curious onlookers.

Once the officers are gone, Doug gives Jackie a evil grin.  "I would have warned you that they were here, but they told me not to, that 'their presence here might color your responses in the sims'.  And besides, the look on your face was wonderful."

Dana laughs.  "Don't let him bust your chops, man.  Doug damn near wet himself when the Captain showed up, then again when the Admiral and General come in.  I wish I had that moment on video!  It was priceless."

Lt Hauser does take a few minutes with you to see what you might need for the next couple of weeks, assuring you that your normal duty rotations will be adjusted to make more time for both of you to continue working on this AI program of yours to prepare for a full scale test using a real Valkyrie.  "We are scheduled to exit fold space in four days; do you think you could have the program installed in your Veritech for a test?"

Doug says, "Sir, if we are released from the normal duty schedule, that will give us the extra time needed to make the needed tweaks and install the hardware and software into the test vehicle.  Um, sir, AVI probably won't be ready for active deployment in our next planetfall, but we are getting close."

The staff officer nods as he takes rapid notes on his tablet.  "Very well.  I'll make sure that you get what you need, and you can then prepare for your test flight.  Good luck, gentlemen."

Jackie stared ahead, he couldn't believe what was happening right now. 

"Thank you sir." jackie looked positively overjoyed. Though he still did give Douglas a smack on the back. "You would be surprised to if you see all of the bloody important people in one room looking at yea." he laughed as all the stress finally dropped off. "Alright, we gotta get to work on getting her in the valkyrie in under four days... And then it's only up hill from there." jackie turned to the group looking rather impressed that so many came to see their work. "Well ladies, looks like AVI will be coming to yea sooner than I thought. She worked like a charm for me in the sim, the field test will be the true show of it's potential... And we can finally get her running for you all. Doesn't that sound great AVI?" 

"So long as they don't let me do all of the work." 

"lovely thing ain't she?" 

Serena laughs at the comments from AVI and Jackie.  "She sounds like a real chip off the old block, Jackie.  Just like you; a real charmer.  Just like how you keep on promising to show me how to get rid of ghosts on the ship, but something keeps coming up to interrupt you."  She gives a smile, showing that she is starting to suspect that he's pulling her leg about these 'ghosts'.  Many of the crew members she's asked about ghosts have just laughed at her, while others tell her that she is just being silly.  Only a few are telling her that these ghosts are real.  

"Eh? Well... maybe later, give em a few hours and we can get rid of your ghosts alright?' he chuckled, a mischievous grin appearing across his face. "Don't yea worry, jackie always makes due on his promises." he fully expects her to be just playing coy, not actually notices she might actually be... serious.... "if anybody would lvoe to join us later, offers all open!" a sharp toothed grin appeared on his face as AVI spoke up again.

"There is a 99% chance of a ghost being in directly around you at all times. but don't worry, AVI is perfectly ghost proof. I cannot say you are not though." AVI speaks up once more, warning the group of possible imminent possession. 

For the next several days, the two programmers are busy working on AVI, getting her ready for the full scale test in front of the big shots of the 3rd HAD.  When the day comes for the test, Crimson Squad is out in their mecha, loaded with cameras and recording equipment to observe the whole thing.  Jackie's Valkyrie is currently equipped with training rounds, with a set of drones to be the targets of your attacks.  The drones are modeled after Zentraedi Battle Pods, and they have their blasters set at a low level, just enough to knock you around but not powerful enough to do any real damage.  A signal comes from the MacArthur.  "Crimson Squad, this is MacArthur Actual.  We are ready to begin the live fire test.  These are just practice rounds, but you are to respond to them as if they were real.  Recorders are on, and telemetry signals are coming in.  Begin first round."

Despite trying to anticipate all the things that can go wrong, there are just too many variables to try and quantify.  While the test is going well overall, AVI is not performing at 100% yet.  Some of the attacks that Jackie lets her try and anticipate she does well with, but not well enough to rely upon the AI to handle all the defensive maneuvers for the Valkyrie.  Overall, there are a few issues to continue to tweak, but AVI is coming along at an excellent rate, and most importantly, she is learning.  After seeing what doesn't work, it is not repeated.  Just like any rookie pilot, it will take some time before AVI is ready to face live targets on her own.  But, working as a support to the pilot, the response is fantastic.

Coming back into the hangar bay, you are met by several pilots that are there to offer up positive support, but some are not as open and accepting to the idea of 'sharing' the cockpit with the AI, along the same way that there are many pilots that are not happy with the new Shadow Tech.  It remains to be seen just how well that systems like AVI are welcomed by the war fighters that make up the sharp point of the spear.

Soon, lead elements of the 3rd Heavy Assault Division will break out into the next system and start beaming back intel on the Invid layout and try to establish radio contact with the natives there.

A signal comes back from the lead elements that they are on their way back to rendezvous with the rest of the fleet, and they have gathered much useful intel on the system ahead of you and the native population.  The Merak star system is home to the planet Karbarra, and the natives of this planet are often referred to as Bear People, as they are on average 8 to 8 1/2 feet tall and weigh between 500 and 800 pounds. They have a vague resemblance to a terrestrial grizzly bear, hence the name 'Bear People'.  Compared to humans and the micronized Zentraedi, the Karbarrans are much stronger, and have a long lifespan of nearly 1,500 Earth years.  Unlike the Paraxians, the Karbarra is very industrialized, and the Karbarrans themselves are natural engineers and mechanics.  The home world of the Bear People is very polluted due to the burning of various fossil fuels, and the unique energy source from a mineral called Sekitan.  While not as powerful as Protoculture, Seitan still enabled them to build interstellar vehicles and engage in high tech combat.  Sekitan is an energy supplying ore, and while it is burned at high temperature, can provide abundant power.  This Sekitan does not allow space folding like Protoculture, but it does allow the Karbarrans to build spacecraft that travel faster than light and can be used to power advanced weaponry, but not reflex weapons. 

Besides the obvious humanitarian goal of freeing the Karbarrans from the Invid, there is another reason why the Merak system is a high priority for the UEEF to liberate:  the mineral Sekitan is used by the Invid in the construction of the Inorganics, so taking the system from the Invid will put a strain on their ability to construct more of the hateful machines. 

The good news is, while the Karbarrans do not have advanced mecha like the UEEF, they do have several powerful starships, and they are powerful infantry fighters, so you will not be facing the Invid by yourselves.  The locals will be joining you in the battle to free their world.

"I can bearly contain my excitement." 

"The wait is pawssatively unbearable." 

"This mission sounds hard, lets call it, Mission impawssible." 

"Everybody, please hold your apawse, I've only just begun."

"If we fail this mission I will be FURious~!" 

Ever since jackie told AVI about the next mission, she has been making bear puns every time one of the two, or any other, who came to talk with her. It made working on her abit annoying, prompting jackie to put her in time out on occasion(ie: muted) until she learned her lesson. This of course didn't prevent the punny AI from typing them all down on her communications screen much akin to a child who simply wont just listen... jackie couldn't blame her though, he was half way ready to burst with his own, but he atleast thinks it'd be a bad idea for they gauged the Karbearans- Karbarrans humor on the matter. 

Perhaps they had human-like animals somewhere on the planet? 

Either way, get this right and they have yet another Alien race on their side, another physically powerful one at that!! 

Not to mention, the sektian mineral was worth investigation for the possibility for the UEEF having some of their own inorganics, or at least put it to a better use than those, as AVi put it "Mindless automatons." Cheeky little thing wasn't she? 

From the amount of groaning coming from the rest of the squad at the comments made by AVI, Serena has to guess that the program has made a series of bad jokes.  "It seems that you have done the job of teaching her to tell jokes . . . well?"  She smiles.  "I wonder just how long it will be before you have a working model of AVI in all of our mecha, telling us jokes that the Zentraedi pilots just don't understand."

"He'll probably release different versions over time - standard edition for human pilots not narrow-minded enough to reject a bit of support, ghost hunter edition for the brave ones, maybe Zentraedian humor if he finds enough time to do some proper research. Endless possibilities, really, as soon as she does her main tasks properly." Other than that, the next mission sounded almost familiar - another people out there to be rescued, this time ready to fight on their own. Minerals, central to the Invid's plans. Hopefully explosive enough to make something out of it once the Invids are gone - her tablet already holds the basic information on the substance, time will tell if it'll be of any use.

As the fleet approaches its exit from fold space, the squadrons are being prepared for their roles in the upcoming fight.  There is word from the Karbarrans that the Invid are pervasive throughout the whole system, and it will take some work to fight your way into the middle of the system where the inhabited planet waits.  Because of that, the Veritech squadrons are ordered to be at the ready to launch once breakout into normal space has occurred. 

@Orikanyo Due to the expected fight, both Jackie and Dana are in their Valkyries with the Super Veritech armor packs loaded with extra missiles, instead of the EW radar dome that Jackie is normally used to.  This gives you 46 short range missiles on your back along with whatever loadout you wish for your wings; remember that each wing has two hard points for a total of four that can carry 3 medium or 15 mini missiles on each.  At the moment, AVI is allowed to go out with you, so long as Jackie maintains full control of the mecha at all times.

Miu and Serena are in their usual Alpha and Beta fighters, currently linked together and ready to fly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Missiles loaded, gun pod at the ready, all systems stable - the wild card in this fight, however, is not Miu's Beta, but the new AI. "Everything's running smoothly over there, Jackie? Can't wait to see AVI in action. Let me know if our new team member needs me to share any more data or something, don't want her to lack any kind of information. I wonder if they'll field any of the new battloids again - command was hoping to catch one alive, though I doubt they'll have much to say anyway."

The Zentraedi warrior laughs.  "If they want one of those Invid/human clones alive, we are well suited to do it.  If not, we'll just kill them all.  I'm ready to launch."

The fleet exits from fold space in the outer edges of the solar system, and immediately, alarms start to go off.  "Alert fighters, multiple Invid units are right on top of us, including two Scorpion class assault ships.  Provide fighter support for the cruisers of the fleet and keep the Invid off of the capitol ships while the heavy guns are brought into play against the Scorpions.  Crimson Squad, position yourselves around the Command Tower of the MacArthur and keep the Invid back from the hull." 

Dana copies the signal, "Copy that, Command.  Crimson Squad moving out."  As you sortie out from the launch bay, you are getting data feeds that the Invid assault ships are doing the same, sending hundreds of assorted mecha out after you.  At this moment, there is no sign of any of the new Battloids with the human/Invid hybrids. 

Over the next few minutes, the outer layer of defense manages to keep the Shock Troopers away from the ships of the UEEF with only a few stragglers that manage to slip past them to threaten the command ships.  A few quick missile launches later and Crimson Squad is once more able to sit back and watch the fireworks.  Soon the two Shimakaze class battlecruisers are in position with their Syncro Cannons fully charged.  "All units, all units!  Stand by for Syncro Cannon fire.  Clear the area.  Power readings at full.  Firing in 3, 2, 1, now!"  From the two ships, massive beams of energy shoot out and slam into the Scorpions.  Despite the massive armor of the assault ships, they are both vaporized by the power of the Syncro Cannon fire.

Overall, it is a fairly quiet deployment for Crimson Squad this time.  Even with the light amount of combat, AVI is being useful in keeping Jackie clear of incoming weapon fire.  Her only complaint is that there is not enough Invid for her to show off her true talents.

"Crimson squad here - no major damage taken, just enjoyed the fireworks. We're holding position right now, waiting for new orders - almost no ammunition spent, really." It feels as if the most important part is missing this time - any kind of challenge. Usually, entering her Beta means upcoming danger, long fights, explosions. This time around, pretty much only the latter was there, and not even caused by their own weaponry. "Jackie, how's AVI keeping up? Not the worst mission to get her started, more or less a better practice run. Serena, Dana: Everything's fine for you as well? Don't think we even took a scratch."

"Aside from the occasional complaining."

"I simply wish to have a greater test of my skills-"

"Shes been fine, if abit bratty."

"I am not bratty!"

"Don't talk back to your father." 

The two had their back a forth, to which jackie chuckled. "Can't always have a big mess of a time yea know. I'm thankful we don't have much trouble this time around, if we can get through this without a single missile fired on our part, the better. Goes to show what a time were having, if the UEEF's greatest squad isn't beign sent all over the place eh?" the man boasted to his friends, and AI companion. "Knock on wood of course, but its definitely strange to be without the whole turtle part of Dovey. Feeling a tad naked without my big ass radar. Extra armor and missiles help of course..." he scrunched up his face in thought. 

"...So i said it, when are they gona reveal some big ass new bastard for us to kill?" 

With that comment made, you get a sudden recall message.  "Crimson Squadron, return to the ship for immediate rearming of your Valkyries.  There is another Scorpion class assault ship out there, and the Synco Cannons are not ready to fire.  You'll be taking long range missiles to engage the ship and destroy any Invid that move to engage."

Dana works her comm link.  "Copy that, MacArthur.  Coming in for rearming now."

In the hangar bay, the deck crews jump into action to unload the current wing mounted ordnance on the Valkyries and replace it with a set of eight long range Reflex Multi-Warhead missiles (2d4x100+60 MDC each), giving you some massive firepower.  Everyone else gets to have any expended missiles reloaded, giving you all a full missile supply. 

Back in space, your squadron is joined by two others on the same mission.  While the LRMs have a range of over 1,800 miles, you need to be much closer to be able to fire on your targets; at the most 250 miles for your own radar.  Closer than that would be even better, because it is possible for the Invid to try and shoot down the missiles before they hit the Scorpion.  Getting in a lot closer will give the slugs less time to respond to your attack.

There are currently several hundred Invid of various casts out in between you and the Scorpion, giving you the option of just punching through at Mach 8+ or pause to engage the screening force before moving on to attack the assault ship.

Serena muses, "Miu, I say we use the Alpha and Beta to punch a hole in the defenses of the Invid to open up a path for the Valks and their missiles to engage the Scorpion.  Those things are really tough, so don't be surprised if we have to toss a bit of weapon fire into it ourselves.  We can work with the rest of the fighters to clear out the holdovers of the Invid after splashing that assault carrier.  That's my say, but its your call, boss lady.  What say you?"

"Sounds like a plan - ready when you are, gotta show them that our trusty mechas can do the job just as well." There are hundreds of Invids between them and the battleship, and more to come - this time around, they won't just be watching. "Try to get as close as possible before firing - if we're right in front of the ship, they won't get a chance to stop the payload from burning through their hull."

Miu can feel the boosters in the Beta kick you in the back as Serena steers the linked pair of Veritechs forward, with Jackie and Dana on either wing in their Super Valkyries.  With the speed of your squad, the Invid will only have a moment to try and fire on you as you race by, but there are a lot of Invid out there, and many of them are targeting Crimson Squad.  There is a total of twenty five Shock Troopers immediately in front of you, and they begin to fill the sky with plasma fire as you accelerate forward.

Of the group, three failed their rolls straight out, leaving 8 targeting each of the Valkyries that will hit unless @Orikanyo dodges, and at the twin unit of the Alpha/Beta there are 9 firing at @Psychie and @Silanon.  Only one of you needs to dodge; Serena has a better total than Miu does, so if she declares her action as dodging it will cover both of you.

Serena grins widely at the incoming fire.  She says, "Hold on back there!  Might get a little bumpy!"  She doesn't engage, but instead works the controls to maneuver the twin fighters through the plasma fire.  

Jackie kept silent throughout most of the transferal of armaments. 

he was worried about what was going to happen.. they had alot of fire power, so this was going to be one hell of a show of AVi capabilities... This was a big jump from recon flight he'd tell yea, he wodnered if Isaac was alright. Was Doug watching his ass somewhere? 

It mattered little, because now, he was under fire. 

Alot of fire.

plasma fire to be exact. 

"SHIIIIIT! AVI lets get dodgey!" 

"thats what I was made to do!" 

"Don't need to tell me that i spent weeks gettoing you ready!" 

"then i can blame you if we get hit." 

"NOT THE TIME!" 

jackie attempts to dodge the incoming fire as best as he can, with assistance from a certain snarky A.I.

From the sheer volume of fire, a few hours do get lucky on you. Jackie takes one hit for 60 MDC, Serena takes one hit for 40 MDC, and Miu takes a hit for 80 MDC. Dana gets a minor hit, but keeps on going strong. The other squads with you also takea hit or two as they race on past the initial line of Invid, and you are now racing along so fast that you can't be caught by the enemy. The distance between the Veritech force and the Scorpion close rapidly, and now some of the Valkyrie fighters begin to ripple fire their long range missiles off at the assault ship. 

AVI begins to play the countdown timer from Star Wars as the X-Wings are making their attack run on the Death Star. "Stay on target! Start on target!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, the best you can do when under fire is to lean back and watch the results - in particular when that means that Serena takes control for the evasive maneuvers. Beeping sounds fill the cockpit as a few plasma shots hit the hull, but the damage is of little concern for now. "Good job!" is Miu's comment, as avoiding all of the shots was humanly impossible. With the first danger dodged, she retakes her usual tasks, correcting the course a little bit here and there, preparing to open fire if needed.

"Avi, seriously ain't the time right now! wait, i didn't tell you about star wars yet-  Douglas you bastard! I wanted to do that!" he shoutedf at the not present man. "not used to these many missiles on board, guess theres no time like this mission to make full use of em." he readied long ranged proton torpedos in case they needed to blast a hole. 

"Proton torpedos... and we in star wars or star trek? or.. Were those photon?" 

Users who are viewing this thread