• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Robotech - Southern Cross Adventure - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I'll just stick with the real polyhedrons as thrown by our Game Master. I'll take real plastic dice over virtual any day! =)

Oh, me too, good D. Rex! But damned if I'm going to play on crappy dice if I have a choice - and thanks to Psychie, I do! =)

I dunno. Crappy dice can make for some pretty fun circumstances, narratively speaking. Especially dramatic ones.

Well, just so long as we get the occasional crit along with the low rolls, I'm ok.

I dunno. Crappy dice can make for some pretty fun circumstances, narratively speaking. Especially dramatic ones.

In one of my games, it was in part player decision and in part very bad dice rolls at the wrong moment that have led us into a seriously grim encounter. I'm all for dice providing dramatic play and good times. I just think it bites big time when the dice take away Player Characters, especially in games where bringing the character back from the dead is not possible (like Robotech).

In one of my games, it was in part player decision and in part very bad dice rolls at the wrong moment that have led us into a seriously grim encounter. I'm all for dice providing dramatic play and good times. I just think it bites big time when the dice take away Player Characters, especially in games where bringing the character back from the dead is not possible (like Robotech).
Indeed the worst can happen. But dice can still be used in conjunction with narrative to make things happen rather than being a slave to them. Such as being shot down, but still somehow barely surviving. Or steering it so that when does occur, it can be made a fun spectacle than just throwing a CS in the trash.

Yeah, except that I've never been that kind of DM/GM/Storyteller. I've got to believe in what I'm doing or it's all just a waste of time for me.

Call me old school, but I'm not one of those Game Masters that won't allow PC death. In fact, I think that's one of the worst things a DM can do to their PCs. Some folks forget (or don't know) that Dungeons & Dragons came from Wargames. In Wargames, characters died regularly. You get attached to no one. "Uncle" Dave Arneson changed all that with Gygax's help. In 1st Edition AD&D, PCs lost characters left and right to poor decisions, bad die rolls, and just bad luck. Nowadays, people are more attached to their characters and I get that, but I really believe something dire takes place in a campaign when the PCs figure out that their DM just won't allow them to fail to the point of death. The game never goes well after that point is crossed.

So for me, a firm balance must be met. Be neither a PKer (PC Killer) nor a marshmallow (DM who won't allow PCs to die, especially out of fear of them leaving the game). In either case, I think the PCs can't trust the DM to run a fair game. Every decision has the possibility of being skewed. Well, screw that, I say. When it's balanced, the tension is there, because I've made it clear from the get-go - if you choose for your character to jump off the cliff's edge thinking I'll just magically save you, you might be surprised when I'm asking what you want to play next or when I'm asking if the party will rez you.

If the game isn't a learning experience, if there's no real tension, then... it's just not my kind of game. I can't believe in it. So why play? I can't get into games where I can't trust the gaming styles of those I'm with and I get bored fast if there's not a reasonable amount of in-game tension where there ought to be. During times where I've taught DMing to others, I've made it a point of making certain the DM understand what kind of RP makes them excited to play. Anything less is... like drinking old coffee or flat soda, so why do it? Gimme the fresh stuff. The hot stuff. The kind of RPing that turns me on and gets my imagination running to the point I don't want to stop.

I think it's only fitting to believe in how you play and moreso, I feel my players deserve that kind of atmosphere where they're not quite sure what's going to happen next. And I find that's O.K., because of this brain of mine and my DMIng style - sometimes I'm not sure either. =)

I just go with the flow. AMD more or less agree with what you say.

(Sidenote: I have no idea why my phone refuses to correct anything resembling and into AMD. Its stupid.)

Though I also admit I haven't played a dice game long enough for my character to have the risk of dying. Sad times.

That said, I dont think I mind too much. While I never try to get my char killed, I dont think I would mind it all that much, as i always got another idea waiting in the wings. I think what would disappoint me most about a char death would be an unceremonious and anticlimactic death because of bad luck. Like "Ah... that's a bummer. Kind of a boring way to go..." and would at least like the opportunity to have some dying words, or someone to hold them in their arms as they breath their last breath. That way it seems like like the dice killed them and more like a narrative opportunity.

But! That isnt to say it's always bad. A writerly worded sudden death could be quite shocking to the living char. And it sort of still impacts the narrative in some way.

But then again, someone wants their char to have impact, that really falls on the player to put "weight" into their character. For example, the OOC death impact of char whose player didnt use them to engage with others and did the bare minimum wouldnt bat anybodies eyes. But on the other hand, a player who used their char to engage with others, forging ties, and and through that char made other players feel like their char mattered... the death of that char would be much more of an emotional spectacle.

So what it wasnt so much that I was saying a DM is responsible for keeping char alive. But more that death can be used as a narrative tool rather than just a mechanic. And that some small allowance can be given to facilitate that.

The "shot down pilot" example was more in context of how dice determines death. In most cases it's pretty self explanatory, though.

Then again, I like looking at a lot of different things as tools that can be used for fun in an rp and like to entertain the possibilities.

And given I just started an rp. I'm probably at some point gonna have to tell Sherwood and Psychie that they might die.

With that, she shifts her Spartas into its tank mode to unleash the main gun. Skidding to a stop, she lifts her barrel up and aims at the last Green and fires.

I have to say this! Since we're in space, if this were my game (and, of course, it's not!), Deunan would be blown to the back of the group from the loss of velocity and kick of the cannon! Shooting big tank cannons in spaaaaaace! Only in Robotech! Wheeee!

I have to say this! Since we're in space, if this were my game (and, of course, it's not!), Deunan would be blown to the back of the group from the loss of velocity and kick of the cannon! Shooting big tank cannons in spaaaaaace! Only in Robotech! Wheeee!
Magnet boots? A combination of friction and clever use of hover gets and stability thrusters combined with friction? The spanish inquisition?

Yeah, the Spartas does have magnetic feet to be able to lock onto the hull of a ship. I just never declared using them. My bad.

I'm just glad that we're not sticking to straight physics in this!

I'm not a meanie to make poor Sherwood go flying off of the ship! I want to save the near death ganking for a later time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back