• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Robotech: Army of the Southern Cross - OOC thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Psychie Psychie

Heya! If you are in the mood for side commentary for fun, entertainment, and perhaps a little Real Life, here is some in the spoiler. =)

Severn (black hair and moustache, black shorts) is an accomplished wrestler who really made a name for himself in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Macias is the striker who studies Muay Thai which makes for a great example here. I give him credit for stepping into the ring with a veteran like Severn despite their obvious difference in weight (if memory serves, Severn did too in the after-match interview). Fight starts at the 4:30 mark and is a short video.

"Dan Severn vs Anthony Macias UFC 4 Revenge of the Warriors 16 12 1994"

You'll notice that once a good grappler like Severn gets into grappling distance on the ground, he stays there and just like a constricting snake, he does everything he can to keep the striker in a grappled position. Here, the striker's arsenal and options become very limited. Without a wrestling background, the striker is in serious trouble. He's throwing elbows but he's not doing enough to get out and back into striking range where he is most effective. Severn, being powerful and understanding leverage, starts with the Body Flip/Throws (a side suplex followed by a terrific back suplex) and never lets him go. Very wise approach here.

Notice the striker's chin is kept tucked down at first until, through sheer perseverance, the wrestler gets his arm inside and starts a popular technique called the Rear Naked Choke. The striker doesn't wait until he's choked out but taps out, surrendering the match (a very wise move on his part).

Now for a little Palladium rules Shop Talk.
I notice Steven doesn't have the Wrestling Skill. The grunt attacking Steven evidently knows some Wrestling. The grunt is likely in one of three "places:"
1. doesn't know Wrestling, but has a good P.S. Attribute and feels comfortable trying it.
2. has the Wrestling Skill and is trying to make this whole fight into one big wrestling match.
Or 3. (worst-case for Steven) has a martial art dedicated to Wrestling in some form (Pankration/Pancrase like Hercules and Sgt. Booty, maybe Jujitsu, Sambo, etc.).

If they were standing and grappling, Steven would be in a much better position as Muay Thai fighters "clinch" or use standing grapples as part of their system, but once on the ground, the wrestler (at least in my game) has robbed the striker of most of his best assets (no kicks, most punches are out, he's pretty much limited to elbows and snap kicks) . In my opinion, Steven here really ought to sacrifice as many Actions as he needs to get the heck back to a standing position free of the wrestlers grasp and keep it that way, lest he wind up like Macias in the video. =)

The takeaway, friends?
Never play your opponent's game. Instead, make them play yours. Remember Toph from Avatar? I haven't seen all of it, but it seems that she stays with what she knows best and makes every attempt at making the fight one where Earthbending, and nothing else, has the advantage. Same goes here.

This commentary brought to you by Dannigan's Shenanigans. If you'd like to see more, let him know! =)

Just caught up with the in-game action. What fun! Good move, Sherwood! Box those ears!

GunMan2, trips are cool, but they don't cause damage. Go do some!

Psychie, if you want an "after action report" on this fight from me, let me know. =)

GunMan2, trips are cool, but they don't cause damage. Go do some!
Danigan seems you are forgetting that its a 2 v 1 on my end. While i know rips cause little to no damage, its more of a stall tactic to get the guy down then hit the other guy. But also we are in the baracks so i don't want to kill them...accidentally or on purpose. Next one ill have chris move to a better position and maybe give them another back kick.

Not forgetting at all, bud. Correct me if I'm wrong? What Chris is doing is a delaying tactic. In Real Life, it's a great idea - keep them off balance and off of you until backup arrives, right? All I mean to point out is that, in Palladium rules, this can quickly work against Chris when they start to whittle down Chris's S.D.C. when Chris hasn't taken much of theirs. So far, Psychie has been generous - remember, that Combination Parry/Attack I recommended? That's only usable once per Round yet you've attempted to use it twice in the same Round. If she allows that, she's being very nice to Chris. =)

Think of S.D.C. as morale. By the time Steven gets back to Chris, there may not be much of Chris left to protect (the dice will tell).

Also, you're dealing with military grunts here. Unlike gang members and street toughs, military teaches teamwork. If Chris's opponents get their act together (i.e. get past the trip attempts), they might really wreck his day, say, by flanking him (the old "monkey in the middle" game).

But hey! What's this? Chris knows Shao Lin Kung Fu! Kung Fu, especially Shao Lin, can be very intimidating against military-trained grunts who often see such systems as beyond their ability to compete with or cope with (last I knew, that Crescent Kick Chris connected with isn't taught in Army basic). If Chris focuses his attacks on the more hurt of the two while keeping his eyes on the second, he might make an example of him. That second grunt will have to make a choice. Either way, Chris will have cut their ability to take him out by 50%. That's a big number in my eyes. =)

As for killing anybody, good news - in Palladium, the loss of S.D.C. to living beings is never life-threatening. Hit Point damage is. For example, Steven knows Muay Thai which gives him a special technique called Shin Kick. This technique completely bypasses S.D.C. and goes straight to Hit Points (no other technique I know of does this unless the GM says so, which I've never seen another GM make happen as long as I've been playing Palladium).

But Steven isn't whipping out his Shin Kick and I don't see any knives in the grunts' hands (let's hope it stays that way, right?). I wouldn't worry much about anyone getting killed at the moment unless the grunts change their tune.

These are just thoughts to be used or discarded as you please. It's your character after all, man! You be you! Have fun! =)

Last edited:
Ok then dannigan. Is there anything else i should know that is limited in my arsenal?

And since the parry attack is no longer an option. Think ill go more damaging.
Ps. Anything i should be aware of the special attacks and such from shaolin kun fu?

Oh, glad you asked!

Ok then dannigan. Is there anything else i should know that is limited in my arsenal?
Shao Lin Kung Fu has holds, so Chris won't be in a mess if grappled. Plus, like Steven, Chris has one heck of a P.S. which will aid him if that takes place. However...

And since the parry attack is no longer an option. Think ill go more damaging.
Ps. Anything i should be aware of the special attacks and such from shaolin kun fu?
...with Shao Lin Kung Fu, I would stick with striking and with attacks that military grunts likely have never seen. Intimidate them. Most grunts know what fear is. Use it. Double-knuckle fists, wheel kicks, the crescent kick was really good, and powerful palm strikes can be intimidating (for that "slapping" sound they make sometimes - sound can play a factor in combat). Make a damaging display of power here. Chris has a remarkable Mental Affinity Attribute of 24 (80% of Intimidate/Charm). I say use it to Chris's advantage. =)

Who would you rather take on? A healthy military grunt?

Or one of these dudes?
"The extraordinary final test to become a Shaolin Master | Sacred Wonders - BBC"

Now, to be fair, this BBC documentary is staged, according to one former Shao Lin monk (this dude, Ranton, is a trip!). But... with entertainment and stagecraft comes positive popularity and growth for the monastery, especially when dealing with an international media powerhouse like BBC, so I can see why they did it.

Back to Shop Talk. There is also another special technique that you might find really cool in a future fight or situation (not this one), one as unique to Shao Lin Kung Fu as the Shin Kick is to Muay Thai - the Dragon Special Kata. Now, I don't know if Psychie Psychie is using it so you'd have to ask her. In my paperback copy of Ninjas & Superspies (page 102), it's described thusly:

"Special Katas
Dragon: Building energy and power throughout the melee round, but holding back until the very last chance to attack. The kata takes up the entire melee round and the only defense available is the Automatic Parry. All this energy turns the attack into a Critical Strike (Double Damage). The attack can be any hand strike a Kick Attack, Snap Kick, or Crescent Kick."

In a roleplaying situation, if Chris were to use that on some inanimate object in front of future would-be bad guys, he might use it like tamashiwara (the Japanese art of breaking) and just outright destroy some object. When would-be baddies see somebody do something they can in no way emulate or beat, sometimes they back down (the old roundhouse kick through the baseball bat break comes to mind).

In combat, if Chris were going up against some really big baddie, he might use the Dragon Kata (double damage) and combine it with a Critical Strike from Rear (increases to triple damage), and if Chris were lucky enough to roll a Natural 19 or 20 (quadruple damage dice plus x4 P.S. bonus for a bare minimum of 56 S.D.C. in one hit), I imagine the result would be devastating. If it were me, I'd use this as some kind of "sneak attack." There is nothing in the Dragon Kata description that says the Shao Lin Kung Fu artist must be obvious or loud about building their energy up. So... in the right situations, this technique is incredibly good against opponents who are not aware of the Shao Lin's presence. If used as a surprise attack, you might drop or very seriously injure your opponent in one blow, and then roll Initiative!

That sound cool? =)

Yeah, so... sometimes I go overboard (ADHDDD! or should that be ADHHHDDD?! Or maybe simply AHHH!! =) ).

Sorry if I'm too enthusiastic when it comes to sharing martial arts. It's been a part of my life for as long as roleplaying has. I just love talking about either topic and especially about both as one topic. Even with other players who have little to no interest (which has happened most of my life). Especially here when they are already in combat and probably have better things to do (like focus on the combat so their characters don't lose because that's kind of important!).

So yeah. Sorry if I've distracted anyone! Back to the Palladium game we are all supposed to be playing, well, you're playing and I'm playing but getting sidetracked, er, I'm playing too but Role Playing + Martial art = uhh, Role Playing Martial Art. Heh!

Psychie Psychie Are you allowing the Dragon Kata?

There. That's really the only thing I should be asking here. I've seen a few things I would definitely do differently in the scene already, but hey! It's not my game! So, uh, Kitty goes back to typing and sending cute memes to Steven, Doug, Chris, and Nova who have no idea that she has found their emails and is stuffing them with things like this:

Kitty Acid GIF

Because. Rainbow Kitty. What's not to love about a loving kitty shooting rainbows at you to brighten your day, right? =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

As Grunt 1 is getting back to his feet, the door to the workout room swings open to reveal Lt. Renner and two other members of the infantry company, all dressed for exercise. They come to a sudden halt as they take in the scene in front of them, and the Lieutenant asks in a soft voice, "What is going on here?"
Uh oh! Busted! =)

Wasn't expecting that! =)

Psychie Psychie Would it be O.K. with you if I copy/pasted your Thai Kick Boxing data from Ninjas & Superspies, please? I want text for Muay Thai in Robotech: Broadsword, but I keep getting distracted.

Oh well. They didn't But hey. No bet so no loss! =)

Kitty would make a hell of a Cyberpunk Netrunner. Times like these, I wish she could have that deck Snowfall spent all those credits on in Sherwood's Rifts game. Damn thing would come in handy now (I've replaced all of Snowfall's computer skills with Hand to Hand: HEMA). =)

Nova leans back in her seat and looks over at Kitty, saying in your native Zentraedi, "Well damn. This certainly narrows our investigation down a bit, but not in the way I had hoped. This is not looking good for Antonia. Unless, of course, all of this is a frame up job of epic proportions, designed to make us look at one of our own as the guilty party. We need to get this back to Col. Greevey and Sgt. Dorsey right away."
I thought I'd replied to this. Sorry, it's been a wonderful week full of distractions, but distractions have their--

Ooh! Squirrel! And they're white! Wif a big fwuffy taaail! Lookit-lookit-lookit! 8D
squirrel wagging GIF

Is there anything you wish to add to your scene before we move forward?
Yes. =)

Psychie Psychie Are there any SDC laser sidearms in your game? I want to be able to pull a pistol out without blasting holes through people.

Yes. Mechanically, it has the following stats:

Laser Pistol
A handgun available to RDF elite. Feed: 10 shot E-clip. Weight:
l.5lbs (.7kg). Effective Range: 200ft (60m). Damage: 4D6 per
blast. Does not inflict Mega-Damage.

I'd like that and a LP-09 MDC pistol, BigBore shotgun with SDC rounds, and a stun baton, please.

Last edited:
Dorsey stops dead in his tracks and looks down at Miyazaki. With a serious look, he says, "Kitty, don't confuse my personal anxiety of going to arrest a superior NCO for a lack of confidence in my team. I have trained with you, I've fought along side of you, and will continue to place my life in your hands in the future. Don't think that I am not willing to go to bat for you one hundred percent when I feel that it is warranted, I just reserve the right to gripe about how bad things can go wrong if we don't do this absolutely by the book. Just remember, we are the best of the best at everything we do. Now, lets go do this."

Thank you, Psychie Psychie ! This is precisely the kind of opening I was hoping for! Time for a little fun! Wheee! 8D

As for Kitty, does the armorer have flashbangs, tasers, and tranquilizer guns (or any kind of knock-out equipment)? Also, tear-gas? Multi-optic helms? Plasti-cuffs? Thick rolls of duct tape? =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back