• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Robotech: Army of the Southern Cross - OOC thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
GunMan2 GunMan2 It really is, but like playing a video game (or even an MMORPG) some details are more important than others. Take Action Points for example. These aren't normally used in Palladium Rules, but Pathfinder/D&D.

Ready to learn a little more? =)

Seeing the barrage about to be levelled at her, Miya attempts to Parry with the additional benefit of an Action Point. Miya lowers Maru's center of gravity and takes on a "back stance" in order to make best use of her left shield.

"All right, Maru!" she tells her Spartas with an apprehensive pat on the controls. "Show the good Destroid pilots and non-believers just what a good protector you are!"

Action Points, of which we only have a handful to use every character level, have the power to positively influence the outcome of d20 and d100 rolls. You can choose to spend one by declaring it (see my quote) and then subtracting it from your character sheet. At that point ( Psychie Psychie please correct me if you're doing this differently), Psychie will add a d6 in addition my d20 roll and character bonuses.

You can also use Action Points to influence Skill rolls, each number on the d6 will add an additional 5% to your chances of success (so 5%-30% bonus).

Action Points do have some limitations - you must declare that you're using it during your Action (not after). You can only spend one Action Point per Action (so you could use one to Strike but not to Parry or Dodge in the same Action). You cannot use them to add, say, damage to your successful hit or subtract damage from an enemy hit on you. Since Action Points influence d20 rolls, you can also use them to buff up Saving Throws or Initiative rolls (which can be very useful!). But be careful - Action Points are only replenished when our characters go up in experience level. Then unused Action Points are discarded and replaced by a new, sometimes slightly higher pool.

Best of all, you don't need to memorize any of this - just refer back to it if ever you need to - such is the power of the written word, right? =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

P.S. Psychie? Sherwood? Did I miss anything?

I believe that Action Points on a d100 roll give you the same +1d6 roll, but for every pip on the die, you add 5%. So you get a range of +5% - +30% to a skill roll. Other than that, I think that you covered everything.

You can also use Action Points to influence Skill rolls, each number on the d6 will add an additional 5% to your chances of success (so 5%-30% bonus).

Yah! I covered that too. Now it's double-covered! =)

Of course, if Psychie in her new game is running anything here differently, it'll be news for all of us! =)

(Disclaimer: I am not recommending this be added to our game; I'm just running through Good Times of old! =) )

Fun fact: In my Rifts games of old, I allowed Action Points to be used toward Natural rolls. That really upped the danger during combat as enemies as well as PCs could, even with an inexperienced character, roll a 6 on that Action Point and quite possibly get a Critical Hit on a 14 or higher (instead of just the Natural 20). I remember my Players used cover a hell of a lot more once the Critical Hits started getting rolled! =)

Esbilon posted this in another game from WlfSamurai, and I wanted to share it here:

wlfsamurai — Today at 5:47 PM
Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks for reaching out. Not trying to go MIA, but I got promoted to a manager at the beginning of the year. With training and such, daily time has disappeared and by the time I'm finished, my mental capacity is 0.

I was hoping to try and fit it in somewhere, but I just haven't been able to. I need to get into RPN and lay it out for everyone.

Really sorry about it. I'm also a little ashamed as I love the games and don't want them to go away. So, I'm kind of stuck, mentally and emotionally on it.

At least we know he's doing ok, and is not hit by Covid or something like that.

Oh sweet! Please give big thanks to Esbilon for me! Hooray!

Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood GunMan2 GunMan2

Psychie, if Sherwood and Gunman2 are up for it, could the three of our characters, using our skills and our tanks' electronics, triangulate the source of the jamming?

I was actually writing one now planning to use an action as well just to give us a higher margin of success.

With all the time you have, there is no need for a roll this time. You are all able to triangulate the position easy enough.

Do we have a sapper in the infantry group, or are we reliant upon our own Demolitions skills here?

That was great! All in all, we kicked butt and found some goodies the bad guys definitely didn't want us to. I definitely call that a success! =)

My head is fuzzy tonight and I'm kind of not thinking straight. I just wanted to tell you that Chief Daniels was really written well. When I read him, you put enough life and personality into him that I could hear a "voice" which happens when I read good books or make satisfying characters of my own like Kitty and Dreamy.

Keep it up, Psychie Psychie !

Thank you for earning them.

I think roleplaying is just as much skill as art. Ask any serious musician, artist, poet, etc.. If you don't practice, your skills will falter. If you do practice, you'll improve. My brain feels really wonky right now (just woke up from 12 hours of sleep, I've taken medicine, and I'm eating this really good sandwich with tea!). But just typing these words, maybe especially in my current state, if I'm not improving my ability to write - I am at least practicing it.

And like one of my teachers said when he noticed we were really straining one day, "When you practice, you get better at what you're practicing - whether you like it or not." What a thing to say to a bunch of people at their utmost, right? The memory of him strengthens me.

But yeah. Psychie, one of the reasons I wanted to be involved in your games (again) is because you are new to this. I've been at this longer than I've been at anything except martial arts and philosophies. I feel the least I can do is point out when I notice improvement on your end. It's not flattery - it's a muddled mind realizing, even in its muddiness, that the Psychie of say, year 2017, probably did not have the skill to write what you've written in this game.

I can't take these things for granted and so, I must point them out to you for your benefit.

Honor and fun (funk?),
Dann =)

Must... put Maru... video... in OOC post. This is the cat (white Scottish Fold) that Kitty has named her big boy Spartas tank from. =)

"たくさんの透明ボウルとねこ。-Many clear bowls and Cats.-"

Fun fact: Miri likes "chatting" with birds. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back