• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Robotech: Army of the Southern Cross - OOC thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
What kind of character are you looking to pull into this?
I was thinking of a Jaded Veteran pilot in his 30's using either planes or thanks. Since i have no idea what to take. also found my book but it was an Italian version

Well, in this game, everyone is starting out in the Spartas Hover Tank, so while you were trained up in some other field, you are now a tanker.

GunMan2 GunMan2 Before I add any of your physical skills, at the moment, your attributes are as follows:

Iq: 14
Me: 19
Ma: 11
Ps: 20
Pp: 21
Pe: 27
Pb: 11
Spd: 19

Since all the numbers are based off of the same dice, you can shuffle them around in any order you want. Also, you get to drop one of the rolls for a free 24. Do you wish to keep the order you have so far, or would you like to move some numbers about? And which number would you like to replace with the 24?

Im ok with the rolls i got but since i don't know what each do. As for the roll i want to drop Lets drop MA for the 24

Alright guys, since we have just started and now have GunMan2 GunMan2 joining in, I will use my AWESOME STORYTELLER POWERS to say that he's been with you since the beginning, and you are all at Flynn's together. GunMan2, read up on the past page of IC posts to get caught up, and then you can jump in when you are ready.

Welcome, Gunman2! It's good to have you here. =)

I'm Dannigan (I also answer to Dann). I've been roleplaying for most of my life and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Why did you choose your username? I take it you enjoy firearms?

Umm...Not quite. It an old id i used in a previous forum run by a man named phage for sword art online and Gundam legends. And i was a major mecha geek and decided to named myself gunman as a shortened to Gundam man.

That's pretty cool. =)

I have never watched Gundam except for a handful of YouTube videos over the years, but it's hard to go wrong with big mechs. I'm also a fan of the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries game, especially when its modded using Nexus mods. Talk about fun!

You've got "Greetings from gundaria" on your tagline. Is that the world of Gundam? And is this your first time in a Robotech game?

Not quite but it does refer to gundam. It just a bit of fun, not sure if it exists in any of the anime. As for robotech, yes it is and its quite a complex game. Especially the guns, I belive those who like military stuff will love this game as the details are quite...huge

Re: Huge. Isn't that the truth? Hah!

I enjoy stories and characters and look forward to seeing what Barnes is like along with any background you make for him. Do you have questions about the game or the Palladium rules we're using or anything?

Also, why go Shao Lin Kung Fu for Barnes? Do you like the system in real life or are there other reasons?

Re: Huge. Isn't that the truth? Hah!

I enjoy stories and characters and look forward to seeing what Barnes is like along with any background you make for him. Do you have questions about the game or the Palladium rules we're using or anything?

Also, why go Shao Lin Kung Fu for Barnes? Do you like the system in real life or are there other reasons?
Hah...Sorry not me. i asked the dm to make one for me. Mostly because i would have spent days trying to come up with one and this is good to see an example. The source books are quite detailed ^^'. So glad i did, will make things differently once i get more familiar.

On the system, this be my first time using the palladium system as i mostly use the sentinels system d12 system over arms. I Gmed a sentinesl game but due to time constraints and my work schedule the game kind of came to a stop. The only thing that i had that was mecha was the armor astir rpg (Which i never got to play >.>)

It also like to experience different system as i mostly play dnd but don't want to restrict myself to just one system.

I've never heard of Sentintels, but a d12 system sounds like a good way to start to learn roleplaying. Sorry your game didn't go for as long as you wanted it to. Real Life, especially nowadays, is either helping people roleplay or its stopping them completely. I'm really happy to be part of RP Nation because I very likely wouldn't be roleplaying otherwise (including tabletop with the pandemic going on).

It also like to experience different system as i mostly play dnd but don't want to restrict myself to just one system.
Definitely! I agree that it's good to broaden one's horizons. "To know one thing is to know ten thousand." - Miyamoto Musashi.

I started out in Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition) and whenever I DM, I cannot help but keep a few elements from that time into my house rules. There remains an old "magic" to that system that challenges creativity.

Palladium and D&D (at least, 1st-3.5 editions) have enough in common to perhaps help a new player in either system learn the other. However, I find Palladium to be a bit more "hands on." Like in D&D, when there is a roll of d20 to see if a knight's sword strikes the bandit, only a single roll "to hit" is made. That makes for quick and easy combat. However, in Palladium when the defender gets the ability to defend or even counterattack in a number of ways, now it becomes a bit more of a challenge, and I find it to my liking. I hope you will too.

Thank you i do hope so.

Sentinels is a recent addition to the ttrpg table. It was based on the Sentinels of the multiverse card game. the game is mostly naratively drive and is more like dm to make it fun. The game uses a GYRO play. Basically you got limited turns to complete certain objectives or there be consequences

Turn-based system, huh? That's a little like Palladium in that each character receives a number of Actions every Round with the single-most drawback being there are certain Actions one cannot (usually Dodge) when you eventually run out of Actions.

Looking at character sheets, I realize I have a question for our Game Master. Psychie Psychie Hey lady? How is gear being provided to our characters? Is it straight out of the book or can we make requests along the Weapon Proficiencies our characters are qualified in or something different?

How many credits do our characters start with?

How about armor and shield?

GunMan2 GunMan2
First off, I didn't know that this was your first time playing in the Palladium system. Not a problem, because between me, Sherwood and Dannigan, we can have you well educated in no time. So, let me (with permission from Sherwood, of course) post a summary of how the turn based combat system works here.
Everyone gets a number of attack actions that are listed on your sheet. As we go through the combat, I will keep track of how many actions you have used in the fight in a running chart that I will post with each person's action. It will look like this, and will count down the Initiative count for who is next up in the fight:

21 - Mark <====
18 - bad guy 1
15 - bad guy 2
12 - Steve
8 - Mary
7 - bad guy 3

In the example above, Mark has a initiative of 21 and goes first, and the arrow indicates that it is his turn. He declares his first action, and makes a to-hit roll. For sake of saving time, you can also post your damage at this point, and if you hit, I'll mark whichever target you hit with the damage. If you miss, I just disregard the damage to the enemy.

The to-hit roll is a d20. A natural 1-4 is a automatic miss, no matter how many bonuses you have, and a '1' is a fumble of some sort, and it can result in you having to clear a jammed weapon or some other effect that is appropriate for the scene and what you are using. On the flipside, a natural 20 is a Critical Strike, and will always hit and do double damage. Some martial arts and combat styles have an extended Critical Strike ranges of 19-20, or even an 18-20. I will do my best to remember which character has this available, but I am juggling a bunch of players here, and in the end, it falls upon you to keep track of what your character can do.

As everyone attacks, I mark off their actions:

21 - Mark [2]
18 - bad guy 1 [2]
15 - bad guy 2 [2]
12 - Steve [1] <====
8 - Mary [1]
7 - bad guy 3 [1]

This shows that everyone has had their first actions, and Mark and bad guys 1 and 2 have used their second attacks, and now Steve is up.

When you are attacked with a ranged weapon, you have the option to dodge the attack. The downside to this is that it uses one of your actions. It can burn through your actions quickly and if you don't watch out, you'll run out of available actions.

In melee combat and you are attacked, you have the added option to parry. The advantage to this is that it doesn't use an action, but Steve with his sword can't quite block a bullet or energy blast, so there are times when the only options are to dodge or let yourself get hit. Your hover tanks have a pair of massive shields, one on each arm, that is designed to be able to take heavy hits and keep on going, so you should get used to using the shields to block as much as you can if you cannot dodge.

The bonus to the arm shield is that they also work on ranged attacks! Particle beams ,rail cannon shots and missile salvos can all be taken on the shields.

21 - Mark [2] <====
18 - bad guy 1 [2]
15 - bad guy 2 [2]
12 - Steve [3]
8 - Mary [2]
7 - bad guy 3 [2]

See how Steve has used up three of his actions and everyone else has only used two? He used one to dodge.

When everyone has used up all of their actions, that round is over and a new one begins.
Purr Purr
Now, as far as starting gear goes, everyone gets personal clothes, uniform clothes, a small amount of personal effects (within reason), a set of MDC armor of your choice of either light or heavy armor, and your choice of light, medium, or heavy arm shield. Weapon wise, you get a sidearm and rife of choice with four energy clips for each. If you have the WP Heavy MD Weapons skill, you can take one of the heavy weapons listed instead of the standard rifle. If you do get one of the heavy weapons, you get a energy clip and one of the extended power packs to give you extra oomph.

You guys also start out with one of the Survival Packs that I'm pulling out of the Core book that I have added in the Lore tab with the other equipment.

Credit wise, you have 5,000 starting out to be able to buy personal stuff. You can look in any of the 2e books for equipment that you might wish to have.

Other gear can be requested once you get to your destination of Brazilia Base, and depending on the mission you are involved with will determine what you can get.

Psychie Psychie All right! Hooray for gear! Some questions:

If you have the WP Heavy MD Weapons skill, you can take one of the heavy weapons listed instead of the standard rifle. If you do get one of the heavy weapons, you get a energy clip and one of the extended power packs to give you extra oomph.
1. Miya has selected the RL-6 rocket launcher (the only heavy weapon that doesn't have a P.S. requirement - I'm so getting Boxing at 2nd level at this rate! Hah!). Since it doesn't rely on power packs but 6-round missile magazines, how many mini-missiles total do you want her to carry?

Special Features of Shields:
Spotlights: Shields worn by the TSC, TASC, TCDD, TCCD, and TCFD contain tiny, high intensity xenon floodlights with a 300 foot (91.4 m) range. These lights are powered by a rechargeable power cell with a six hour life-span.
Integral Weapon Sheath: The Heavy shield worn by the GMP has an integral sheath to carry the S-11 Stun Baton. The sheath locks the baton in place so that it can't slip out during vigorous activity.
GMP Officer's Weapon Sheath: The shields of GMP officers carry a short sword (2D4 S.D.C. damage) in place of the Stun Baton.
2. The special features of shields states that GMP Heavy shield has a sheath for the S-11 Stun Baton (nice device! Page 100, Robotech Masters Sourcebook) but the "GMP Officer's Weapon Sheath" carries an S.D.C. short sword in its place? Is that for non-heavy shields then? Meaning if I want Miya to have the S-11, I'd have to choose the Heavy Shield? Not that this is a problem; it's just the wording is odd.

3. The payload on the batons is 10 charges and it recharges awfully slowly. Is it possible to have two batons? One in the shield, one on her person?

4. For the M-84 Machine Pistol, Miya would like to requisition a sound suppressor and red dot sight for it?

5. Are we issued non-smoke grenades?

6. Which book/books do you want us pulling from to spend our credits?

EDIT: You already answered this one.

You can look in any of the 2e books for equipment that you might wish to have.

Last edited:
1. Miya has selected the RL-6 rocket launcher (the only heavy weapon that doesn't have a P.S. requirement - I'm so getting Boxing at 2nd level at this rate! Hah!). Since it doesn't rely on power packs but 6-round missile magazines, how many mini-missiles total do you want her to carry?
You don't have much storage room in the hover tanks for gear, so the most you can carry is the six in the magazine and one full reload of six more.
2. The special features of shields states that GMP Heavy shield has a sheath for the S-11 Stun Baton (nice device! Page 100, Robotech Masters Sourcebook) but the "GMP Officer's Weapon Sheath" carries an S.D.C. short sword in its place? Is that for non-heavy shields then? Meaning if I want Miya to have the S-11, I'd have to choose the Heavy Shield? Not that this is a problem; it's just the wording is odd.
You can have the Stun Baton in any of the shields you pick.
3. The payload on the batons is 10 charges and it recharges awfully slowly. Is it possible to have two batons? One in the shield, one on her person?
Yes, but only one more.
4. For the M-84 Machine Pistol, Miya would like to requisition a sound suppressor and red dot sight for it?
No problem. The red dot sight will give a +1 to hit, and the sound suppressor is not a total silencer, but it will reduce the chance of someone hearing it.
5. Are we issued non-smoke grenades?
No. Depending on your mission, you can request some extra ordnance that may be approved.

Looking in the books, there are not prices listed for the weapons listed, and there is limited equipment to purchase. Can we tap into other Palladium books to pick up gear of interest? Namely the 1e Robotech books and maybe even the Rifts books?

Stuff from the 1e books can be looked at, and gear from the Rifts book will be allowed on a case by case basis. A lot of that stuff is just out of balance from what we have here, and I want to keep things under control.

You don't have much storage room in the hover tanks for gear, so the most you can carry is the six in the magazine and one full reload of six more.
Okies! =)

You can have the Stun Baton in any of the shields you pick.
Yes, but only one more.
Thank you! One is plenty. Nothing is worse than running out of ammo. =)

No problem. The red dot sight will give a +1 to hit, and the sound suppressor is not a total silencer, but it will reduce the chance of someone hearing it.
Yes! This is true in Real Life as well. True "silencers" don't exist (though that's what they were called when they were first developed). Even in small caliber firearms, like the .22, there is no way to completely negate the sound of a bullet discharging. But hey! During a firefight, if it makes you a little harder to find, do that thing! Plus it really looks cool like right out of Masamune Shirow's books!

Such a cool shot!
masamune-shirow-bron-osoba.jpeg
(Image credit: Masamune Shirow)

No. Depending on your mission, you can request some extra ordnance that may be approved.
Okies!

Stuff from the 1e books can be looked at, and gear from the Rifts book will be allowed on a case by case basis. A lot of that stuff is just out of balance from what we have here, and I want to keep things under control.
No worries again. You've seen me balance both of my games before - it can be a delicate process so feel free to keep or toss anything I request as you've already done. I'm already having fun! =)

I'd like for Miyazaki to have some kind of armored tablet for her police work, preferably something that could help her with her work. I recall we've had something called a Codebreaker in previous games, but I don't remember quite what it does or where to find it. I'll blame those last two on my COVID-19. I'm still loopy and feeling like a flat tire, but I'm trying to keep my spirits up! =)

Anyone remember this thing or was this only in Sherwood's Rifts game? Anyways, if it doesn't fit in this game, kick it. Maybe just get a Multi-Optics helmet?

Psychie Psychie Here's a question that's more to the point - hey, Psychie? What kind of gear are you comfortable seeing our characters running around in? Anything you'd like to see us with?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back