• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Road Trip to Romance

A phone call from her mother was something Esther would have never expected. She was unpacking her boxes in her new apartment when it happened. She had too much to do to listen to her mother talk about nothing in particular. She had graduated high school just the week before and was finally able to move out. But she couldn't concentrate with her mother in the background.

"Hey, mom. What is it?" she held the phone to her cheek with her shoulder as she opened a small box that held her office supplies.

"Well, I wanted you to do something with the family before you're too separate from us. Think of it as a way to celebrate!" Her mother, Kim, replied happily over the phone.

Esther was silent for a while, staring at the bare white wall of her soon to be office. "Well... What did you have in mind?" She didn't want to displease her mother by saying 'no', but she had to admit that she considered it.

"A road trip! Like the one we took when you were in first grade." She sounded hopeful, and it made Esther frown.

"A road trip? Isn't that a bit much?"

"Don't think we're leaving tomorrow, Honey. We were planning on going in a week. This is a heads up, you know?" Kim's voice rang as if she was still in her early thirties. Esther ran a hand through her messy-ish brown hair.

"I'll consider it, I guess."

"Oh, great! Call in a bit?" She asked, hopefully again.

"Yeah. sure." Esther sighed softly when her mother hung up.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Reese! Come on get off the couch, mom's arriving to visit us in like, 15 minutes! I'm still unpacking, you've gotta start cleaning already!"

Looking up from his book, the young man turned towards the screen door, where his firey younger sister stood, tapping her foot impatiently and glaring at him before turning and heading back inside. Chuckling, he put a dog-ear on his page and stood up, stretching his muscular arms over his head as he admired the view from his small apartment balcony, before heading inside and sliding the door shut behind him and calling a teasing reply to her whining tone.

"Yes ma'am, Sergeant Whittaker reporting for duty!"

Mira, his younger sister, had moved into his apartment after graduating high school last week, seeing as he was a year older than her he'd owned it for all of freshman year of college before she arrived. Their mother had called that morning to tell them she had big news and was coming to tell us and help Mira settle in. Now Reese, running a hand through his hair, went into his room to make his bed and put his clothes away along with his book before starting to work on sweeping the kitchen. Throughout the time spent working, he whistled as he and the smaller girl ducked in and out of each other's way, his sister's bright blonde locks bouncing behind mountains of boxes from the front door to the spare bedroom, now hers.

Reese was just putting some music on from the aux chord of his phone to the radio when the doorbell rang and his mother and father stepped inside. Mira, squealing, plopped down her current load and rushed to greet them, causing a chaos of laughter and massive embraces that the tall young man was quickly swept into. After helping his sister finish bringing all of her stuff in, the family settled down in the living area, prompting Annabelle and George Whittaker, Reese and Mira's parents to speak.

"Alright here's the news, your father and I were hoping to let you know later this week so it'd be more of a surprise, but we just couldn't wait."

"We've decided to go on... a road trip!"

George said, his shining complexion flashing a grin while his wife made a little show of jazz hands. Mira gasped, and immediately exploded into questions, while Reese was slightly more hesitant to become excited. Sure, he loved traveling more than the average person, but trapped in a car with all three of these loud, overly enthusiastic people? He loved his family, don't get me wrong, but they could be... well let's just say all families had their problems.

"It's not going to be until late next week, but we figured you'd want some planning time. Oh! And I almost forgot the best part, we're going with the Elliots!"

At this, the young man's eyes widened, and he froze, a reaction entirely contradicting that of his sister, who squealed, a signature sound of hers, and jumped up too hug the two adults. The Elliots? They were going to be spending multiple hours at once, cram packed in a car, with the Elliots? But that would mean Reese wold have to see...
Esther.

After a few hours of unpacking, she called her mother back like she said she would. "Done already, Esther?" She said when she picked up.

"Of course i'm done. I only had the contents of my old bedroom to unpack." She said, walking into her sparkly clean, but sadly empty kitchen.

"Well, have you decided to come along on the trip?" Kim was obviously hopeful... once again. A small vacation before college sounded nice. And she didn't want to upset her family. In the background, she could hear her fifteen year old brother shout a 'Hello Esther' followed by a 'Sis!' from her eight year old sister. hearing the voices of her siblings caused her to cave in.

"I guess I'll go. I'll start packing." Esther smiled and hung up. Kim felt as though she had forgotten to tell her daughter something, but ignored it.

About a week later she drove to her parent's house. The suitcase she had packed was in the back seat of the car along with her camera bag. When she stepped out of the car, her younger sister raced out the door with her arms outstretched. "Esther!" The girl immediately hugged around her legs and that's when her parents and brother came out to see her. After saying all their hellos, a familiar car pulled up. When Esther saw it, her smile faded slowly. Why were the Whittakers here?

After visiting a bit and helping Mira move into her new bedroom and living space, the parents of the Whittaker house hold took the two college attendees out for dinner before saying their farewells and heading off again. Upon arriving back at the small two bedroom apartment, Mira reclined on the couch with a bowl of freshly popped popcorn and began flipping through their netflix channel. To one side of the room, Reese glanced up at her from the book he was reading, the same one from earlier that day and once again bookmarked it, setting it to the side.

"So... a road trip, with the, er, Elliots."

"Oh, I know! Isn't it exciting? I can't wait, I'll get to see Esther and, oh, her brother... haha~!"

Mira said, color flooding her cheeks at the thought of the Elliots' middle child before chuckling eagerly and selecting a romantic comedy. Reese rolled his eyes at his sister's childish crush, shaking his head, though he couldn't help but smile slightly, the corner of his lips lifting. It was so adorable how excited she got over these sorts of things, and for Mira's sake he knew he'd have to suck it up with this family trip. It'd be unfair to the others not too.

About a week later, with a classic Police song thumping the speakers and Mira's off tone voice singing along, the Whittaker family pulled their Chevrolet Traverse into the parking lot of the Elliot's home. Climbing out of the back seat with his earbuds in, Reese sighed softly and walked up, pulling one out and tucking his hands in his back pockets with a sheepish, somewhat strained half smile as his sister hurried out after him.

"Esther! So nice to see you, are you settling into your new apartment alright? How's the college life so far?"

Annabelle and George walked up behind the two kids soon afterwords, and offered polite, friendly greetings to Esther and her siblings as well as the other two adults. Standing off to the side a bit, Reese shared in the conversation only barely, keeping his Alternative Rock on high in his earbuds.

"So! Is there anything we need to do before we hit the road? Who's driving in which car? Do you kids want to be together?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back